PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a 5 day section in the south

danny31292
12-05-2010, 21:55
Its been a while but its time to hit the trail again. My friend and I are planning a 5 day trip on the AT for Spring Break. I have no clue where to start planning. If any of this info is available in another thread feel free to send me there.

This trip will be in early March. We live in Fl, so the furthest we'd want to travel is NC. Closer is better though. When it comes to picking specific section to hike I am totally lost. Do you guys have any suggestions for a scenic section that will be about 5-6 days and moderate difficulty? Also are there any books on the AT that I should be reading to help me figure this all out?

Thanks in advance
Dan

HiKen2011
12-05-2010, 22:19
You could start at AFSP, do the approach trail and hike to just over Blood Mtn. to Mtn crossing and get a shuttle back to the park. A little over 40 miles I think. Several shelters along the way!

eagleJ
12-05-2010, 22:28
I-40 to Hot Springs is a good section. Can't beat soaking in a hot tub at the end of a hike. Erwin to 19E is nice also, you go over Roan and several high balds.

danny31292
12-05-2010, 22:46
You could start at AFSP, do the approach trail and hike to just over Blood Mtn. to Mtn crossing and get a shuttle back to the park. A little over 40 miles I think. Several shelters along the way!

Definitely looks like a possibility. Thanks!

Cookerhiker
12-05-2010, 23:45
Another Georgia hike overlapping the one suggested: Woody Gap/Rt. 60 to Dicks Creek Gap/Rt. 76 - the last road crossing in Georgia. Total 47 1/2 miles.

I know you said moderate but if you change your mind and would like a challenge, try Winding Stair Gap/Rt. 64 to Fontana for 56 rather tough miles, all in North Carolina ending just short of the Smokies.

mweinstone
12-05-2010, 23:48
aproch trail to neel gap. hikerheaven.