PDA

View Full Version : General thru-hike additional cost of taking a dog

darkage
12-06-2010, 04:21
So ya thru'd with your dog .... what was the general money needed too support his well being and proper diet ... not including possible vets bills .. those are accounted for.

mweinstone
12-06-2010, 09:34
300 feedings at a dollar a feeding. thats twice a day for a hunit days yo. plus 300 shuttle thru the smoks.plus 300 emerg.900 for a large dog.

4eyedbuzzard
12-06-2010, 09:50
So ya thru'd with your dog .... what was the general money needed too support his well being and proper diet ... not including possible vets bills .. those are accounted for.
Just wondering how possible vet bills are all "accounted for"? They could often be the biggest single expense, just as medical bills are for people who get injured. Many pet policies have a list of exclusions in the fine print, and "soft tissue injuries" (sprains, strains, muscles, joint injuries, ligaments) are very often excluded especially during the first year of coverage.

darkage
12-06-2010, 12:24
its called emergency credit, only used when i absolutely must .... so in the event i need too use it, his costs are covered .... i wanna know the basic cost of his needs food wise, toys, he uses bodyglide for his paws ... snacks ... things of that nature, i mean i suppose i could just multiply what he costs me on a 3 week trip and base that for a 6 month thru, also accounting for his shelter fee and rides too and from trailheads like the smokeys where dogs aren't permitted .... know what i mean ?

CrumbSnatcher
12-06-2010, 12:39
some motels will hit you up for another ten bucks or so,
he's gonna want a burger anytime you're getting a burger!
how big is he,how old, &whats he weigh

Spirit Walker
12-06-2010, 13:38
He'll eat at least double what he normally eats. Many hostels don't allow dogs, so you'll either save money by not staying in town or spend more to get a motel (which will charge extra for the dog.) You'll need to board and shuttle the dog in the Smokies and Baxter. You may need someone to come get the dog if he is having a hard time with rocks, snow, heat, etc.