PDA

View Full Version : first time hiking in maine was incredible.

northernstorm
12-06-2010, 11:18
my wife and i decided to celebrate my 30th birthday in maine at the moosehead lodge up in greenville. we hiked on some trails and bushwacked quite a bit. the snow was pounding when we left yesterday. it will be so rewarding to make it there on my thru next year. anyone else feel like the whites in NH and north is the most rewarding feelings? i guess that question goes out to thru-hikers who have already completed it.
anyway, just wanted to say it was great and the locals are very nice.

DLANOIE
12-06-2010, 11:28
Glad you enjoyed your hike/stay while up here in Maine. I know I am biased but Maine does have some of the best hiking available on the East coast. NH is a close second(I am from NH and now live in Maine), the above tree line hiking is second to none in the Whites. Especially in inclimate weather!!!!!FUN<FUN<FUN

walkin' wally
12-06-2010, 11:34
my wife and i decided to celebrate my 30th birthday in maine at the moosehead lodge up in greenville. we hiked on some trails and bushwacked quite a bit. the snow was pounding when we left yesterday. it will be so rewarding to make it there on my thru next year. anyone else feel like the whites in NH and north is the most rewarding feelings? i guess that question goes out to thru-hikers who have already completed it.

My second home. I love that place. About 10" of snow yesterday at Lily Bay and much more today.... Where did you hike?

Cookerhiker
12-06-2010, 11:37
Certainly the beauty & grandeur of the Whites and Maine were very rewarding - I felt that way as a section hiker especially after finishing 28 years of section hiking by ascending Katahdin (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2875). Re the North Woods, hiking the Long Trail in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205427) was also rewarding, especially the views of Lake Champlain - no where on the AT does one have such an extended several-days' view of a large natural body of water. My first backpack was a section of the Long Trail in 1977 and I still marvel how the view from the Glastonbury Mountain Firetower yielded nothing man-made - all I saw was mountains, forest, and lakes.

Are these places & experiences the "most" rewarding? Not necessarily - I've got wonderful memories of good AT hiking in the South - seeing wildflowers in the Spring, colorful foliage in the Fall, hiking aboving the clouds into the sunshine in the Smokies & Nantahalas, seeing bears in Shendandoah NP - all highly rewarding experiences.

And then there's other outdoor places I've been to across the country and world. Won't list them all here except for one note: I spent 2 1/2 months this summer in the Pacific Northwest, British Columbia, Yukon, and Alaska. Most of this time was in Alaska. Now there's some rewards!

I empathize with and share your positive feelings of the north country's magnificence and I suspect that in your next 30 years as you travel more, you'll also appreciate the beauty in other ecosystems as well.

And one more point about the north country: don't take its existence for granted especially in Maine with all the private landholdings. Join the MATC and contribute to the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust (http://www.matlt.org/).

northernstorm
12-06-2010, 12:10
My second home. I love that place. About 10" of snow yesterday at Lily Bay and much more today.... Where did you hike?

oh we just did maybe a mile or two. we didnt have much time because of the snow at moosehead. i was wiping off trees to see blazes. so i figured it was time to turn in. however very fun hiking in the snow. the place was called monson. and according to my research is the beginning f the 100 mile wilderness. thats where we hiked. the woods are so dense. if i can make it through the blistering summer, i will reach maine. i dont do well in extreme heat. if i am to quit next year aside from serious illness or injury, it will be the dang sun that does it.

northernstorm
12-06-2010, 12:13
Certainly the beauty & grandeur of the Whites and Maine were very rewarding - I felt that way as a section hiker especially after finishing 28 years of section hiking by ascending Katahdin (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2875). Re the North Woods, hiking the Long Trail in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205427) was also rewarding, especially the views of Lake Champlain - no where on the AT does one have such an extended several-days' view of a large natural body of water. My first backpack was a section of the Long Trail in 1977 and I still marvel how the view from the Glastonbury Mountain Firetower yielded nothing man-made - all I saw was mountains, forest, and lakes.

Are these places & experiences the "most" rewarding? Not necessarily - I've got wonderful memories of good AT hiking in the South - seeing wildflowers in the Spring, colorful foliage in the Fall, hiking aboving the clouds into the sunshine in the Smokies & Nantahalas, seeing bears in Shendandoah NP - all highly rewarding experiences.

And then there's other outdoor places I've been to across the country and world. Won't list them all here except for one note: I spent 2 1/2 months this summer in the Pacific Northwest, British Columbia, Yukon, and Alaska. Most of this time was in Alaska. Now there's some rewards!

I empathize with and share your positive feelings of the north country's magnificence and I suspect that in your next 30 years as you travel more, you'll also appreciate the beauty in other ecosystems as well.

And one more point about the north country: don't take its existence for granted especially in Maine with all the private landholdings. Join the MATC and contribute to the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust (http://www.matlt.org/).
great info. yeah i have heard good things about the long trail. havent made it to the western seaboard yet, at least not for a wild getaway. i lived in denver for 10 years and that was also breathtaking on top of some 14'ers. the hiking there is extremely brutal. challenging terrain but spectacular views. the curvature of the earth can be seen up there. if you haven't already, i strongly suggest the rocky's. stay away from aspen and vail. those are money pits for tourists and such. steamboat springs has wonderful trails. cheers!

Cookerhiker
12-06-2010, 12:32
....i lived in denver for 10 years and that was also breathtaking on top of some 14'ers. the hiking there is extremely brutal. challenging terrain but spectacular views. ...

Much of Maine can also be characterized as "extremely brutal challenging terrain" and I'd be interested in how you compare it with your Colorado experience.

northernstorm
12-06-2010, 12:42
Much of Maine can also be characterized as "extremely brutal challenging terrain" and I'd be interested in how you compare it with your Colorado experience.
personally there are things i love differently about both places. maine is closer to my home country, (norway) so i feel very nostalgic there. colorado was nice because of the elevation differences. hiking above treeline is amazing. its hard to pay attention to your feet and not sumble due to the fact you are constantly rubbernecking the 360 degree view. lol.

northernstorm
12-06-2010, 13:01
i will also add that i have not hiked in maine at all except those couple miles. so i am very much looking forward to seeing all of it. i will probably be able to give you a better answer than anyways. is that what you had in mind? oh! and i saw some of your youtube vids. nice.

Cookerhiker
12-06-2010, 13:18
Some day you'll hike some or all of the following:

Mahoosuc Notch and Mahoosuc Arm
The Baldpates
Moody Mountain
Old Blue and the Bemis Range
Saddleback Range
Crockers
Bigalow Range

and even "lesser" climbs like Pleasant Pond Mountain, Moxie Bald, Whitecap.

When you hike these, you'll see what I mean.

BTW, is your "Norway" the town in Maine or the Scandinavian country? Re. the latter, I've been there once and really want to return to do some backpacking!

DLANOIE
12-06-2010, 13:22
Why would you ever want to hike Moody MNT. MORE THAN ONCE!!!!! Just kidding....but seriously, why.:)

Cookerhiker
12-06-2010, 13:26
Why would you ever want to hike Moody MNT. MORE THAN ONCE!!!!! Just kidding....but seriously, why.:)

I think he's thruhiking in 2011.

DLANOIE
12-06-2010, 13:31
I think he's thruhiking in 2011.

Oh yeah....:D

hikerboy57
12-06-2010, 14:06
I section hiked from Grafton Notch to gorham this summer, and It was absolutly one of the best sections I've ever hiked!! Challenging, great scrambles ,beautiful scenery, the infamous Mahoosuc Notch, and one of the best shelter views anywhere on the AT(Gentian Pond).

northernstorm
12-06-2010, 15:03
Some day you'll hike some or all of the following:

Mahoosuc Notch and Mahoosuc Arm
The Baldpates
Moody Mountain
Old Blue and the Bemis Range
Saddleback Range
Crockers
Bigalow Range

and even "lesser" climbs like Pleasant Pond Mountain, Moxie Bald, Whitecap.

When you hike these, you'll see what I mean.

BTW, is your "Norway" the town in Maine or the Scandinavian country? Re. the latter, I've been there once and really want to return to do some backpacking!
yes i am from trondheim norway originally from birth. but moved to the states when i was like 3 or 4.
i will look forward to the places you mentioned and will be willing to tell you all about my thoughts next fall.

DLANOIE
12-06-2010, 15:14
We also have a Norway, Maine! No real hiking in the area to my knowledge. Just being a wise crack.

northernstorm
12-06-2010, 15:24
wow thats cool. makes sense. many norwegian settlers.

northernstorm
12-06-2010, 15:25
oh and i love the local beer in maine as well. sweeeet!

walkin' wally
12-06-2010, 15:36

Good one

At least he wasn't there when part of trail slid downhill.:eek: Major repairs and relo just finished this fall.

Namaste
12-06-2010, 17:43
Good one

At least he wasn't there when part of trail slid downhill.:eek: Major repairs and relo just finished this fall.

Just finished? WoW! That was summer 2008. I was SOBO Maine and had to butt slide in the pouring rain to get down.......I just remember being soaking wet but laughing my butt off and cheering when we finally spotted a white blaze.

Maine is a beautiful state for hiking especially the AT but I've done lots of canoeing up there as well. My favorite trip was 10 days out on the Penobscot to Lobster Lake then on to Chesuncook where you can see the mighty Katahdin. Watching families of moose feeding early in the morning was priceless.

MisplacedMainer
12-07-2010, 02:55
I'm from Rockland. Hop in the car and drive any direction 20 minutes and there is great hiking. Gotta love Maine!

Mr. Clean
12-07-2010, 06:02
did you go to the parade last weekend in Farmington? The parade is for Chester Greenwood, the inventor of the earmuff. Kinda fun.

walkin' wally
12-07-2010, 08:28
Just finished? WoW! That was summer 2008. I was SOBO Maine and had to butt slide in the pouring rain to get down.......I just remember being soaking wet but laughing my butt off and cheering when we finally spotted a white blaze.

Maine is a beautiful state for hiking especially the AT but I've done lots of canoeing up there as well. My favorite trip was 10 days out on the Penobscot to Lobster Lake then on to Chesuncook where you can see the mighty Katahdin. Watching families of moose feeding early in the morning was priceless.

Yeah, that Lobster Lake is a pretty shabby place huh ? ;)

I don't know if you fish but that section of the Penobscot is excellent, especially in the Fall.

DLANOIE
12-07-2010, 08:40
I have never made it to one of those parades. Kinda neat though knowing earmuffs were invented right here! Did you also know the toothbrush was invented in Maine? And did you know why it was called the toothbrush and not teethbrush?:banana

woodsy
12-07-2010, 10:09
We also have a Norway, Maine! No real hiking in the area to my knowledge. Just being a wise crack.

wow thats cool. makes sense. many norwegian settlers.

http://www.qsl.net/n1svb/mainesign.jpg (http://www.qsl.net/n1svb/page2.html)
Maine Sign Post
This sign post located in the village of Lynchville,
Albany Township,in the western part of Maine, points out
the direction and distances to some Maine communities that
have the same names as some foreign countries or cities.

Mr. Clean
12-09-2010, 11:21
I have never made it to one of those parades. Kinda neat though knowing earmuffs were invented right here! Did you also know the toothbrush was invented in Maine? And did you know why it was called the toothbrush and not teethbrush?:banana

No, tell me why.

northernstorm
12-09-2010, 12:03
No, tell me why.
uh oh! here we gooooo! haha!

WILLIAM HAYES
12-09-2010, 20:15
I did the 100 mile wilderness this year -it was awsome-the views were fantastic and the beauty of the lakes and streams was incredible i have done most of the trail and this is my favorite part -difficult but rewarding

Mr. Clean
12-10-2010, 16:07
I love the Mahoosucs, and hike them back and forth. Luckily they are fairly close for me to drive to.

Blissful
12-10-2010, 16:12
The Bemis Range for me this past summer was beautiful.
So was Saddleback range, if you don't think about the ski area on the one side of the major mtn.

mudhead
12-10-2010, 16:32
I'm from Rockland. Hop in the car and drive any direction 20 minutes and there is great hiking. Gotta love Maine!

Driving southeast would suk. You warm down there? Plenty of frozen stuff here, but the tourists are few and far between.

Mr. Clean
12-12-2010, 16:21
We have tourists year-round now...

Tinker
12-12-2010, 16:27

The Whites north to Katahdin is my favorite section so far (down to Del. Water Gap and Georgia). Georgia is nice, too, though.
I do an occasional trip to the Whites in winter just to savor the still white vastness of it all.
Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

Tinker
12-12-2010, 16:29
I did the 100 mile wilderness this year -it was awsome-the views were fantastic and the beauty of the lakes and streams was incredible i have done most of the trail and this is my favorite part -difficult but rewarding

Ay-uh!
Did it in '08. Good hikin' thayah! ;)
:rolleyes: (For my humor :o).

mudhead
12-12-2010, 19:12
We have tourists year-round now...

Scads or a dribble? Saw a TX plate today. Their eyes were like saucers.:)

peakbagger
12-13-2010, 09:00
There are tourists year round, its just that in the winter they are on snowmobiles! A lot of folks dont realize the impact of the snowmobile season is in Maine and Northern NH. The area around Caratunk and Millinocket has more income from tourists in the winter than they do in the summer and if its a good snow year, reservations are tough to get anytime after Chirstmas until spring.

I am not a snowmobiler, but have many friends who do. The majority of the Northwestern maine which has no public roads and is in general is difficult to access in the summer is wide open in the winter. Its not unusual for folks to take a 200 mile run and go to spots that are 70 or 80 miles from the nearest plowed road in winter.

Cookerhiker
12-13-2010, 09:57
There are tourists year round, its just that in the winter they are on snowmobiles! A lot of folks dont realize the impact of the snowmobile season is in Maine and Northern NH. The area around Caratunk and Millinocket has more income from tourists in the winter than they do in the summer and if its a good snow year, reservations are tough to get anytime after Chirstmas until spring.

I am not a snowmobiler, but have many friends who do. The majority of the Northwestern maine which has no public roads and is in general is difficult to access in the summer is wide open in the winter. Its not unusual for folks to take a 200 mile run and go to spots that are 70 or 80 miles from the nearest plowed road in winter.

As I recall from staying at Shaw's in '05, they also had a lot of winter business from trappers and snowmobilers.

Mr. Clean
12-15-2010, 06:14
Scads or a dribble? Saw a TX plate today. Their eyes were like saucers.:)

A dribble, but they are moving here in droves now. These little Towns aren't designed for crowds of bad-mannered people. Twenty years ago, if you let someone out into trafic, you got a big wave, "thank you". Now when you do it, they don't even look at you.
Not a big deal, but it tends to tighten my gizzard a bit.

northernstorm
12-18-2010, 14:27
we re going back next month for that exact reason!!! snowmobiles.