PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Gap to Erwin

SmokeEater
12-06-2010, 15:03
Planning a trip from where I left off last year. Starting at Davenport gap ending at Erwin. Just looking for any insight on good/bad shelters. Things to look for. Also what was ur itinerary while on the trail. resupply. TY

Cabin Fever
12-06-2010, 15:10
I don't think any of the shelters are memorable/"must stays". Must-see features are Snowbird, Max Patch, Rich Mountain Firetower, Firescald Knob, Big Bald. Easy resupply in Hot Springs which halfway through the trip. This is one of the logistically easier point-to-point sections because of the outfitters/hostels located at both ends and in the middle.

wornoutboots
12-06-2010, 15:48
I just returned doing this backward but I only made it to Log Cabin Road/Hemlock Hollow Hostel due to crazy winter weather, I took the blue blaze around Big Butt Mtn then onto the Hostel to see if the weather would break but when I woke up it was snowing even harded so I'll come back to comple that section later. Hemlock Hollow Is a Must Visit!! Their new resturant is Killer & the place is too cozy!! water won't be a problem on the section I did & it has great views & real good trail conditions.

wornoutboots
12-06-2010, 16:44
to cut down on your load you can send amail drop to Hemlock Hollow Hostel it's the best midway point for this section & to make it really light you can just carry two days worth, stop & grab another 2 days at Hot Springs, Grab your drop 1 or 2 days later at Hemock then carry on Nobo

Cabin Fever
12-06-2010, 17:59
to cut down on your load you can send amail drop to Hemlock Hollow Hostel it's the best midway point for this section & to make it really light you can just carry two days worth, stop & grab another 2 days at Hot Springs, Grab your drop 1 or 2 days later at Hemock then carry on Nobo

Hemock Hollow is not right on the Trail unlike Hot Springs, but is closer to the midpoint. It's 3-4 days from Hot Springs and, IMO, not worth the hike off trail to the hostel to save carrying one day of food.

Cookerhiker
12-06-2010, 18:36
I don't think any of the shelters are memorable/"must stays". Must-see features are Snowbird, Max Patch, Rich Mountain Firetower, Firescald Knob, Big Bald. Easy resupply in Hot Springs which halfway through the trip. This is one of the logistically easier point-to-point sections because of the outfitters/hostels located at both ends and in the middle.

Echo this - very good advice. I ascended Big Bald in early morning, a great perspective. The only thing I'll add is enjoy the views of the Nolichucky River as you descend into Erwin.

10-K
12-06-2010, 20:41
By chance do you remember passing someone just before Spivey's Gap? I stopped and talked briefly with a guy last week hiking southbound to Davenport Gap - as a memory jogger, you asked if you were still on the AT because of a confusing logging road crossing and poor blazing...

I just returned doing this backward but I only made it to Log Cabin Road/Hemlock Hollow Hostel due to crazy winter weather, I took the blue blaze around Big Butt Mtn then onto the Hostel to see if the weather would break but when I woke up it was snowing even harded so I'll come back to comple that section later. Hemlock Hollow Is a Must Visit!! Their new resturant is Killer & the place is too cozy!! water won't be a problem on the section I did & it has great views & real good trail conditions.

Kerosene
12-06-2010, 22:37
If possible, try to avoid the aging Spring Mountain, Deer Park Mountain, and Walnut Mountain shelters. The Flint Mountain Shelter was newer. I didn't mind Jerry Cabin (now just a 3-wall shelter), but I've heard that it can get pretty cold in the winter.

10-K
12-07-2010, 16:46
If possible, try to avoid the aging Spring Mountain, Deer Park Mountain, and Walnut Mountain shelters. The Flint Mountain Shelter was newer. I didn't mind Jerry Cabin (now just a 3-wall shelter), but I've heard that it can get pretty cold in the winter.

JC does have a built in fireplace though...

wornoutboots
12-08-2010, 10:15
Hemock Hollow is not right on the Trail unlike Hot Springs, but is closer to the midpoint. It's 3-4 days from Hot Springs and, IMO, not worth the hike off trail to the hostel to save carrying one day of food.

it's 17 miles from Hot Springs & only @ .75 miles off of the trail + they give you a free shuttle back, have a Killer new resturant + over 100 types of awesome coffees & teas imported from all over the world & a great resupply. I respect your Opinion!! I do find it funny how hikers will hike for 100's & 1000's of miles on the trail but not want to walk to something that's a short distance off of the trail :) IMO this place is special enough to visit but I can understand that hikers who have just stopped in Hot Springs may not want to get off the trail so soon after.

Gray Blazer
12-08-2010, 10:19
Go to Hemlock Hollow to enhance your "wilderness experience". Or not.

Food is good. I really liked the Crazy Eggs. You might be able to buy some mountain house food if a boy scout troop has not just been through and bought everything.

wornoutboots
12-08-2010, 10:19
Bald Mountain is a great shelter, cable rights out front & a nice privy, I stayed there last week

10-K
12-08-2010, 10:48
it's 17 miles from Hot Springs & only @ .75 miles off of the trail + they give you a free shuttle back, have a Killer new resturant + over 100 types of awesome coffees & teas imported from all over the world & a great resupply. I respect your Opinion!! I do find it funny how hikers will hike for 100's & 1000's of miles on the trail but not want to walk to something that's a short distance off of the trail :) IMO this place is special enough to visit but I can understand that hikers who have just stopped in Hot Springs may not want to get off the trail so soon after.

Getting off the trail for coffee isn't really getting off the trail.

Cabin Fever
12-08-2010, 20:09
Bald Mountain is a great shelter, cable rights out front & a nice privy, I stayed there last week

It is a good shelter, but if the opportunity presents itself, stay on the Bald. I mentally skipped Roaring Fork which has recently been rebuilt. It is very nice, but similar to Big Bald - stay on Max Patch if weather permits.

SmokeEater
12-08-2010, 21:45
where exactly do u get off the trail for Hemlock?

Cabin Fever
12-08-2010, 21:58

Little road crossing north of Allen Gap

10-K
12-08-2010, 21:59

Going north, the AT crosses a road 3 miles from Allen's Gap. Make a left and it's around .6ish miles down that road.

Lyle
12-08-2010, 22:28
Hey Jeremy,

Good luck. You'll be caught back up with me once you hit Erwin. You have any long-range plans for Erwin to Damascus? Maybe we could coordinate something? Let me know, I'm still fairly open for plans right now.

I'll agree that Snowbird, Max Patch and Big Bald were fantastic days. We camped on MaxPatch and had a fantastic sunset. Not so much for the sunrise. Elmer's in Hot Springs was a good stay. Rich Mnt. Fire Tower was a great 360* view, but the trail from the AT to the tower was deceivingly long and steep, at least it was on a hot, tired afternoon - kinda deflated the experience when a car drove right up to the base of the tower while we were there.

Have Fun.

SmokeEater
12-09-2010, 13:12
Lyle,
Sounds like you had a good trip. I sent you a private awhile back. How many days did it take to do this section? not sure when i will be doing this section, either early spring or fall around sept. So i could probably do that section the following year if u dont complete it this year. When did you plan on doing ur hike to damascus?

wornoutboots
12-09-2010, 23:14

Log Cabin Road, follow it until it hit's Viking Mountain Road and Hemlock in at that intersection

wornoutboots
12-09-2010, 23:33
By chance do you remember passing someone just before Spivey's Gap? I stopped and talked briefly with a guy last week hiking southbound to Davenport Gap - as a memory jogger, you asked if you were still on the AT because of a confusing logging road crossing and poor blazing...

Sorry dude, yes it was me & thanks again for the info

Gray Blazer
12-10-2010, 08:09
The trail to Rich Mnt. firetower is not all that bad. You can cowboy camp in the tower (if it's gonna rain it's not a good idea. Last time we stayed there we had four inches of H20 standing on the floor). You can see four states from up there as well as Cumberland Gap. There is a good flowing spring a little north on the AT as well as a nice flat camping spot.

gearfreak
12-10-2010, 09:13
Hiked this section between 9/30/10 and 10/08/10. Shuttled from Asheville airport to trail head with an afternoon start so it's a real short first day. It went like this:

Davenport Gap to Painter Branch 4.7
Painter Branch to Brown Gap 7.8
Brown Gap to Walnut Mountain Shelter 10.2 (nice camp beyond bear cables)
Walnut Mountain Shelter to Hot Springs 13.1 (drop box here)
Hot Springs to Deep Gap 12.7
Deep Gap to Jerry Cabin Shelter 13.7
Jerry Cabin Shelter to Hogback Ridge Shelter 14.7
Hogback Ridge Shelter to Whistling Gap 13.5
Whistling Gap to Erwin 13.5

The nicest shelter as I recall was Bald Mountain, followed by Roaring Fork. The rest were suitable. The area of confusion mentioned earlier in the thread is at mile 330.2, USFS 278. Cross the road and bear right (northbounders). The trail descends the road past the gate where you'll finally start to see blazes.