PDA

View Full Version : super stretch vs. super spiral

Megapixel
12-06-2010, 19:11
any one own the old super stretch and the new super spiral and can tell me if they are 1 in the same, better, worse? Thanks!

Smile
12-06-2010, 19:18
Have the old, just tried the new last week. Similar, but the "cut on the bias" claim, well, I'm not sure it makes that much difference. I like the new one and the way the neck cuff fits better than the older sstretch version - but it might just be the velcro closure.

I'm surprised that all bag manufacturers don't get on board and start doing this with their bags - the stretch makes such a huge difference compared to other 'mummy bag' models - a much more pleasant nights sleep for those who move around a little, or a lot.

Montbell makes excellent bags, regardless of which you pick. Hope this helps :)

Megapixel
12-06-2010, 19:21
it definitely helps. thanks a mill. we are trying to decide if we can make it on our thru with our 30 degree montbell super stretch bags, with clothes as our emergency bag liner if needed. we are considering being safer and going with the new 15 super spiral though... tough call expensive but may be worth it.
for the record we are starting inside out, at the south end of snp, in waynesboro, mid april, and heading north, then back to finish south.

wrongway_08
12-06-2010, 19:34
Go for the 15, you will be super warm ... also will allow you to stretch out a little more comfy without the extra clothes on.

I have the 20 stretch and love it. Was also thinking of the 15 but I have the 40 stretch also and will just us that as a bag liner for the 20 on cold trips.

ChinMusic
12-06-2010, 19:52
I have a super stretch 0° and a super spiral 40°. These bags are obviously very different in looks simply due to the size.

I do not find that the spiral has nearly as much "stretch" as the super stretch. I can pull my 30lb dog into the 0° with me but cannot get him in the 40°. This may be because one is a 0 and the other is a 40. I don't know. I was just expecting the 40 to stretch more. I'm just a bit disappointed but at that rating, and those temps, the dog doesn't need to come into the bag anyway.......:D

Megapixel
12-06-2010, 19:55
I have a super stretch 0° and a super spiral 40°. These bags are obviously very different in looks simply due to the size.

I do not find that the spiral has nearly as much "stretch" as the super stretch. I can pull my 30lb dog into the 0° with me but cannot get him in the 40°. This may be because one is a 0 and the other is a 40. I don't know. I was just expecting the 40 to stretch more. I'm just a bit disappointed but at that rating, and those temps, the dog doesn't need to come into the bag anyway.......:D

so... would you say you can still move around such as pulling your knees up towards you while laying on your side, etc. with the super spiral? it's the whole reason we got the super stretch in the first place...

Megapixel
12-06-2010, 20:00
just read a review on the bags from a reputable site... seems you are correct in the lack of stretchiness compared to the older model. guess i'll be staying with my 30 degree unless i can find the old super stretch model in a #2 or #1

ChinMusic
12-06-2010, 20:30
so... would you say you can still move around such as pulling your knees up towards you while laying on your side, etc. with the super spiral? it's the whole reason we got the super stretch in the first place...
I find I have adequate stretch in the 40°, just not as much as the 0°. I have a 30° Marmot Hydrogen that makes me feel claustrophobic when fully zipped up. I don't get that claustrophobic feeling in the spiral.

buz
12-08-2010, 09:21
I own the ss#2, and have snuggled in the spiral #1, just to compare. As others noted, the comparison is pretty much a no contest, the ss is just way stretchier. But I also got in a Marmot, and the spiral shows that there is a difference, although small, IMO. I am flippy floppy side sleeper, and the ss is perfect bag for me. Weighs a few ounces more, but so what, I am really comfy at night, a big deal.

To me, MB came up with the spiral concept to cut weight and manufacturing costs, while still trying to keep the ss crowd happy. Not sure they did that. Nice bag, no doubt, but not a ss.

I think you may have another option, that I did with my bag to increase its' warmth, if that is your main concern. PM me if you want to discuss, involves sewing and down, lol, but worth it.

Kerosene
12-08-2010, 13:17
If you're planning to start your hike at Springer before May 1, then I think you'll want a 20-degree bag at least.

You can extend a bag's temperature range with clothes to some extent, but note that a mummy bag is supposed to be snug to minimize the amount of air that needs to be kept warm. If you add a lot of clothes, you run the risk of compressing the insulation of the bag. I'm convinced that this is why I was cold in Georgia in mid-April in a 20-degree WM Ultralite when the temp dipped below freezing...I went to bed with too many clothes. Since then, I've slept comfy down to 23F with wearing only long johns.

Ladytrekker
12-08-2010, 13:34
any one own the old super stretch and the new super spiral and can tell me if they are 1 in the same, better, worse? Thanks!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67098

montbells on sale at campsave see above thread

skinewmexico
12-08-2010, 18:50
I get cluatrophobic in the #5 I bought. Guess I'm too used to quilts.

Smile
12-08-2010, 20:23
Wow, have they discontinued the original kind, I can't seem to find any for sale anywhere new. Anybody have a link?

Megapixel
12-08-2010, 20:38
Wow, have they discontinued the original kind, I can't seem to find any for sale anywhere new. Anybody have a link?

i can't find any as well. discontinued to be sure. ebay doesn't even have them.

Dogwood
12-08-2010, 22:12
I'm also a flippy floppy side sleeper(I think that's the first time I ever used those words in that combination!) ocassionally enjoying stretching out in my sleeping bag by bringing one or both knees to my chest. I have slept in both the Spiral 0* and 15* and old Super Stretch # 3. Like others have already stated, IMO also, the Super Stretch definitely has more wiggle room. As Chin Music started to alude to, I might would be willing to attribute some of the stretchiness differences due to the different temp ratings but I largely think it due to the different designs.

I'll also mention Ladytrekker's link to the MB sleeping bag sale going on at Campsaver. Some good savings on MB bags if you are in the market for a high quality bag with some stretch that might help with a good night's sleep.

One more thing. I have several MB clothing pieces and the 0* Spiral which I enjoy. I also loved my old #3 U.L. 800 down SS bag but I did have the ocassional cold spot with the Super Stretch. No biggie, but I did have to shift the down around with my SS to consistently keep it uniform and avoid the ocassional cold spot. These bags will probably be collector items in the future. Sad to see them discontinued if that has been the case.

Smile
12-20-2010, 01:26
Wrote to Montbell customer service, no more of the original bags available. Only doing the Spirals now. Bummer, the others were better!