PDA

View Full Version : lets talk headphones (earbuds)

Megapixel
12-06-2010, 19:32
so what earbuds held up well for you an entire thru-hike? what is comfortable? i currently have some sort of noise blocking deals that take a AAA battery that is just to much to bring along ( i have enough to try to keep up with battery wise with the camera and ipod), and a pair of apple earbuds but they are really uncomfy in my opinion.

J5man
12-06-2010, 19:48
I am not a thru hiker but I just bought a pair of Skull Candy earbuds at the airport last week and I love them. I have used the ones that came with my ipod but these Skull Candy things take it to another level. Take this with a grain of salt and listen more to those who the question was actually directed to.

Appalachian Tater
12-06-2010, 19:52
I don't like Apple-style earbuds either, uncomfortable and fall out. Usually I use Koss Sparkplugs but I had a credit at Staples and picked up some $10 Skullcandy earbuds and they are also secure and comfortable and sound good.

Also got some of those lollipops they sell near the checkout for $0.50 to use up my credit and they were quite tasty.

aaronthebugbuffet
12-06-2010, 20:55
I usually don't backpack with earbuds but for workouts and such I go with jvc marshmallows. They are decent and durable.

mweinstone
12-06-2010, 21:56
try hiking with dollar store ones. they break so often hiking ,why not use cheepies.

kythruhiker
12-06-2010, 22:20
JVC Marshmellows are the only earbuds that don't hurt my ears.

Toolshed
12-06-2010, 23:15
I have sony earbuds, with the over the ear holders. I find they work the best. however, I have gone through at least 6 pairs of buds over the past 2-3 years. My problem is when I work out (1.5 - 2 hours 6 days a week) I sweat so much that they soak through. Iconstantly have to pull tehm out and dry them off.
I also found that the little screens in fron of the diaphram get coated with wax after about 3 months of daily wear and you lose a lot of sound quality . Not so much from regular wear, but from sweating when I work out. I now pull out the little screens when tehy start to clog and get another 3 months out of the phones before I have to pitch them.

Miner
12-07-2010, 00:09
I've been using the same Sennheiser CX300 earbuds for 3+years including thru-hiking the PCT. As this was my first attempt in using earbuds over headphones, do earbuds really break as easy as some of you imply or am I just naturally more careful with them?

bflorac
12-07-2010, 00:37
Its hard to hear that snake about to bite you with your ears all plugged up. Save the pluggin till night so you don't hear the snorring nor mice.

Miner
12-07-2010, 00:45
Its hard to hear that snake about to bite you with your ears all plugged up. Save the pluggin till night so you don't hear the snorring nor mice.

Your point is well taken. My earbuds came with different sized ear pads. For my PCT hike which has plenty of rattlesnakes in the brush that can cover part of the trail in SoCal, I replaced one of the pads with the smaller size so my hearing in one ear was less obstructed (though I also kep the volumne down). I hate that sudden rattling sound that starts up nearby and you never know where its coming from for several seconds since you were too busy jumping into the air.

mister krabs
12-07-2010, 09:47
I have to wear the buds with over ear holders like those below. All others fall out when I run or get sweaty.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31w%2B6%2BugxpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg