PDA

View Full Version : Winter hiking pants?

Not Now Jon
12-07-2010, 12:26
Sorry to ask what I'm sure is an utterly worn out question, but here goes...All I have right now for winter hiking is jeans - and they just don't cut it. I've tried thermal underwear under the jeans, but it seems way to constricting and generally uncomfortable. Please, can anyone recommend/suggest something more appropriate? Do I look for nylon pants and wear something under them - or will nylon pants alone be enough while hiking? What about when I stop for a while and get cold? I just don't know and there are SO many products out there I just don't even know where to start looking. Thank you...

mister krabs
12-07-2010, 12:32
I wear nylon zip offs with a wool or poly base layer under them. I have a pair of m51 liner pants for another layer around the campfire.

I'd like to find some wool gabardine pants for cheap to try them out.

canoehead
12-07-2010, 12:44
Start by leaving the jeans home.
Go out and pick up polypropylene base layer(long johns) Nylon hiking pants for the hike. For resting / camping add a fleece layer top and bottoms. then a waterproof/breathable jacket and pants. It's all about layering and knowing when to manage excursion, sweating and staying dry. Visit an outfitter, Guide shop, EMS, REI and they can be more specific to your needs as far as were you'll be hiking and how to dress appropriately. You can also visit your local thrift stores for gear that used but still effective. I would also hook up with a local hiking club in your area they will offer some good advice also.

LIhikers
12-07-2010, 13:11
And if this is for an overnighter make sure to have a seperate base layer, top and bottom, to change into at camp. Your clothes will get damp from hiking in them but you want as much of your clothing as possible to be dry once you stop hiking and make camp. You'll be much warmer that way.

nitegaunt
12-07-2010, 13:52
I wear a pair of convertible pants made of a quick dry/water resistant material and a pair of Terramar bottoms under them. Also, I have a pair of rain paints as an extra layer that I can either put on over the pants or in place of them. I think that's plenty for the legs and you have several options of how you want to wear them.

ChinMusic
12-07-2010, 13:57
I just wear the same quick-drying convertible pants in winter that I wear in summer. In winter I carry a pair of Montbell down pants once in camp. If the hiking pants are wet/damp, I take them off and just wear the down pants. I typically sleep with them which makes getting up less of a shock.

I don't mess with any long johns, etc. YMMV

Rick500
12-07-2010, 14:19
I wear a pair of convertible pants made of a quick dry/water resistant material and a pair of Terramar bottoms under them. Also, I have a pair of rain paints as an extra layer that I can either put on over the pants or in place of them. I think that's plenty for the legs and you have several options of how you want to wear them.

Me too. Exactly this... Mountain Hardwear Mesa pants and Terramar long underwear.

I have some Capilene long underwear but I prefer whatever the Terramar version is made of. It's less restricting.

Old Hiker
12-07-2010, 14:22
I'd like to find some wool gabardine pants for cheap to try them out.

Check the local thrifts - also, Army/Navy surplus stores. I found a pair of wool army pants that are a couple of sizes large and I wear them as overpants, usually when riding my bike in the cold. I have also worn them around camp during winter (such as it is here in FL).

lemon73
12-08-2010, 00:20
Sorry for being conventional, but in the winter I wear something similar to these for day hikes :Sarpa Pants from Mountain Hardwear (soft shell). Mines have zipper on the bottom so you can roll them up if it gets too hot or to fit your boots. In wet snow they pair perfectly with a pair or gaiters. They are surprisingly comfortable.

But for years I have worns regular hiking pants (convertibles) in the winter (with gaiters). Sometime I just wear synthetic (poly) long johns with the bottom of the pants removed because they become wet and icy. If it is very cold I do the same but instead I wear polar fleece long johns

Tipi Walter
12-08-2010, 01:12
You don't really need hiking pants in the winter as shorts will work most of the time unless it's really cold, and then you can wear your thermal bottoms under your shorts. Pants are over-rated. When it is bitterly cold, like around 0F with wind, you can bring along a pair of goretex rainpants to be worn over your long johns but you might not backpack long in these due to sweat and overheating.

In camp, though, I recommend a good pair of down pants over your thermal bottoms. A pair of good down pants with a nice down parka and you can sit out the worst Southeast winter weather Miss Nature has to offer.

aaronthebugbuffet
12-08-2010, 01:17
You don't really need hiking pants in the winter as shorts will work most of the time unless it's really cold, and then you can wear your thermal bottoms under your shorts. Pants are over-rated. When it is bitterly cold, like around 0F with wind, you can bring along a pair of goretex rainpants to be worn over your long johns but you might not backpack long in these due to sweat and overheating.

In camp, though, I recommend a good pair of down pants over your thermal bottoms. A pair of good down pants with a nice down parka and you can sit out the worst Southeast winter weather Miss Nature has to offer.

That's pretty much the perfect set up.

WhoDey
12-08-2010, 01:36
I have found that while hiking light nylon pants are enough for me. When I stop for breaks, I usually add my rainpants on top to keep my muscles warm. When I stop for camp I add a pair of thermal bottoms. My legs I have found need far less insulation than my upper body for me to be comfortable

Dogwood
12-08-2010, 01:37
When snow and/or ice is in the forecast or abrasive cold winter alpine conditions exists I reach for something like my REI Schoeller stretch fabric pants. Almost WP. Highly WR. Don't absorb water well at all! Dry fast even in winter. Shed mud and ice VERY WELL. Breathe decently enough in those conditions. Highly durable and abrasion resistant. Sized for thermals underneath increasing versatilty as compared to one thick pair of winter hiking pants. Half to 1/3 the price of similiar Cloudveil, ArcTeryx, etc pants using Schoeller fabric.