PDA

View Full Version : ordered new balance 1000 boots

wrongway_08
12-07-2010, 13:49
I have always been a big fan of new balance. I only wore their shoes on my thru-hike and never had a problem, light weight, dry fast and super comfy for my wide feet.
I did try a pair of the first boots (and last boots at that time) they made at the begining of my thru, the seams didnt hold up and the company decided not to go into boot production after that problem happened to a bunch of them.
Read about these today in a magazine and ordered a set in 5 minutes ago. They will be here Wed and I cant wait to try them out this winter!

Gear Review: New Balance 1000 Hiking Boot

http://www.backpacker.com/media/originals/NB_MO1000BY3a_445x260.jpg
1 (http://javascript<b></b>:slideshow(0);void(0);)
New Balance 1000

“It’s as comfortable as a sneaker, but more supportive and way warmer,” says one tester about this affordable, all-purpose winter boot. He used the mid-cut, insulated hiker for dayhikes and snowshoe jaunts in upstate New York, in temperatures down to 15°F. Warmth comes from PrimaLoft Eco insulation layered under the waterproof/breathable, seam-sealed, suede and mesh upper.

A band of hard rubber wraps around the plastic heel counter, which extends halfway up the Achilles; the combination provides ankle and foot stability comparable to higher-cut boots (good for uneven terrain, and carrying loads up to about 25 pounds). The toothy Vibram Icetrek sole is grippy on hardpacked snow. And it’s snowshoe-friendly: A small, built-in ridge on the heel grabs snowshoe straps, while a D-ring at the toe makes it easy to attach gaiters. Fit bonus: The 1000 is available in five widths for men, three for women. $100; 1 lb. 14 oz. newbalance.com (http://newbalance.com/)

pistol p
12-07-2010, 21:07
Oooohhh, nice. You will have to post a review. I am very interested in this boot. I love NB!

Thanks for the heads up.

wrongway_08
12-07-2010, 21:41
Yea, love the company. I have a pair of their trail runners with 1,200 miles on them and I still hike in them. These boots should be awesome!!

HiKen2011
12-07-2010, 21:45
I can't get the model 1000 to come up??????????????? I must be doing something wrong.:-?

wrongway_08
12-08-2010, 21:17
Got them in today,, nice toe protection and ......... just like every New Balance I have worn ........ COMFY, COMFY,COMFY!!!!! I only worn them around the house but they fit like a glove and no rubs or tight areas.

Thats the best thing about New Balance, there is no break in - they feel broke in outta the box. At least for my feet :)

wrongway_08
12-08-2010, 21:19
http://www.endless.com/New-Balance-Mens-MO1000-Multi-Sport/dp/B003GXEN5G

This is the site I ordered off of. They have free next day shipping!

wrongway_08
12-08-2010, 21:19
I can't get the model 1000 to come up??????????????? I must be doing something wrong.:-?

Hope they above link helps you :sun

SassyWindsor
12-09-2010, 00:47
Do some research on footwear made in China. Foot rash and other problems are thought to be caused by chemical residues from Chinese made footwear, as well as other textiles. Just a friendly heads-up.

bflorac
12-09-2010, 02:02
I also like New Balance. Too bad it is the only shoe they do make in wider widths (4E).

neighbor dave
12-09-2010, 13:18
http://www.shopnewbalance.com/detail.asp?s1=NBAS&s2=buynow&style=MO1000BY

wrongway_08
12-09-2010, 15:56
Oh yea, the soles seem to be real soft and sticky - should be great for rocks and water! Not to mention taking some of the shock outta steps.

neighbor dave
12-09-2010, 16:38
Oh yea, the soles seem to be real soft and sticky - should be great for rocks and water! Not to mention taking some of the shock outta steps.
vibram, arguably the best sole for a hiking shoe in the world.
quaboag rubber company in north brookfield ma has the exclusive rights to manufacture them in the u.s.
it's about time nb started making what looks to be a quality lightweight hiking boot. i like their product but it seems they get more and more flimsy, and their soles get softer every year. i wish they'd make a nice trail runner with a semi rigid sole like the old hard rock.

fehchet
12-09-2010, 16:53
Do some research on footwear made in China. Foot rash and other problems are thought to be caused by chemical residues from Chinese made footwear, as well as other textiles. Just a friendly heads-up.

NB 1000 are made in US of A.

CinciJP
12-09-2010, 17:53

Think they'd be good for summer hiking? I couldn't tell if it was insulated or not.

wrongway_08
12-09-2010, 17:55
They say insulated but doesnt seem to be overdone.

Might want to call them and ask if the material of the boot sole is udsed on any hiking sneakers also. This way you keep the cool/light weightness for summer hiking.

CinciJP
12-09-2010, 18:01
Thanks! I'm a NB fan also, but have been gandering at Montrail trail runners for the summer portions.

SassyWindsor
12-09-2010, 21:18
http://www.newbalance.com/usa/#/made-in-usa

"Twenty-five percent of New Balance shoes sold in North America are produced by our US workforce using US and imported materials. When possible, we obtain materials from domestic suppliers. At times, due to availability, economic or quality reasons, there is a need to import components from foreign sources. Where the domestic value is at least 70%, we have labeled the shoe "Made in the USA." Where it falls below 70%, we have qualified the label referencing domestic and imported materials. This determination is based in part on the Federal trade Commission's survey of consumers"

mudhead
12-10-2010, 16:26
I would appreciate hearing how well they hold up. Always looking.:)

wrongway_08
12-19-2010, 12:49
Walked around in the yesterday. Tried to climb small stuff and get the soles to slip. No such luck so far. The rubber flexes and feels like it tries to conform to the rocke a little easier then rubber on other shoes I have. (i don't have any other boots to compare to - just New Balance sneakers)

The fit is great. The soles feel a lot harder then the sneakers they make. Supportive but still not heavy like a full hiking boot.

They Kept my feet warm, was about 27 out last night. Will have to hike with them for real to get a better feel as to how they control temp.

neighbor dave
12-19-2010, 14:34
Walked around in the yesterday. Tried to climb small stuff and get the soles to slip. No such luck so far.

The fit is great. The soles feel a lot harder then the sneakers they make. .

vibram soles.
can't wait till they make a low cut trail shoe with these soles.

Flippy
12-19-2010, 22:14
vibram soles.
can't wait till they make a low cut trail shoe with these soles.

Hey Neighbor,

Don't get too excited about New Balance and Vibram soles. Remember how many times I had to return my New Balance MO850GY shoes on the PCT. They kept falling apart after about 3 weeks of hiking. It was a unusual design for the sole. I went through 3 or 4 pairs before I switched.

Take Care,
Flippy

tawa
12-19-2010, 22:57
Thanks for the information. Just ordered a pair for winter hiking and as an extra pair for my 2011 thru hike.
Thanks again.

neighbor dave
12-20-2010, 08:31
Hey Neighbor,

Don't get too excited about New Balance and Vibram soles. Remember how many times I had to return my New Balance MO850GY shoes on the PCT. They kept falling apart after about 3 weeks of hiking. It was a unusual design for the sole. I went through 3 or 4 pairs before I switched.

Take Care,
Flippy
damn, now i recolleckt that, maybe they'll make better glue or sumptin.
those shoes are jus' what i'm lookin fer, an' i 'member when i saw yours an' thought..... NICE!
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:-?
i never had faith in their dunham line of shoes, i always thought they were junk.

tawa
12-20-2010, 11:07
FYI--They have a promotional discount going on so got them for $78.71 and free overnight shipping. Pretty sweet deal and price for a nice winter/warm boot.

pistol p
12-20-2010, 23:23
Any update on how the boots are working? :)

wrongway_08
12-21-2010, 15:55
Working good so far. o problems, rub spots or support problems. So far the seams are stayn tight.

I have a pair of NB sneakers that I used on the A.T. thru, they no have over 1200 miles on them. While the soles are worn smooth, they help up good on the stiching. I still use them - just cant part with them!

pistol p
12-21-2010, 18:37
I hear that. I always hate buying new hiking shoes in these cases. Even though new ones are "new", there is a sort of connection with a well traveled pair. If only they could resole. :-?

bflorac
02-15-2011, 01:27
About to order a pair of these. Any futher updates?

flatfeet
02-15-2011, 10:56
Actually saw these last night.

Says they are good for up to 25 pounds. Wonder if they could handle
35?

bflorac
03-20-2011, 01:40
Bought a pair of these today (MO1000BY) for $84. I have very wide feet (4E) with a high in-step so my choices for shoes are limited and NB typically work well. I took them for a 10 mile hike. Now, here in WI, there is not same terrain as the AT but it's all I got. I walked over some rocks just see how they felt but most of walking was in soft ground. I only carried a light day pack. So far, I like them. The boots fit nice and feel like sneakers. I had lots of room to wiggle my toes even after I replaced insole with my custom fit ones. I still may go back and get a 1/2 size bigger because on down hills my big toe was rubbing on the front (gee I wonder if they will take them back with all this mud on them?). They are light on your feet and I don't seem to need any break-in period. They are quite soft so if you are looking for a "hard" boot this is not it. When walking on slopes I could see my foot sliding a bit left/right. Contrary to what the spec say and what is printed on the outside these are not waterproof. I stepped in 2" of water and I could feel the water comming in. I plan on doing more testing in my tub to the more important facts about if they hold water and how fast they dry. I'm hoping to use them for my June 3 week section hike. I am a little worried that the small amount of insulation in them may not be desired in the summer but after looking at them, it really is not much.

baddog
03-20-2011, 18:42
I also have bought many NB products because I need the 4E width. I have had good results and like the looks of the hiking boot. For other fat-feet-folks there is a brand named Propet that has sizes Wide (3E) and Extra Wide (5E). I've had a pair of leather upper ones for about a year and a half, worn them a lot and they held up well. I recently ordered a different model, more typical, some kinda cloth upper that was on sale for under forty bucks. Havent tried them yet, waiting for summer.

bflorac
05-31-2011, 23:40
A further update on my New Balance boots (MO1000BY)...
I ended up going a 1/2 size larger but other than that, they have been great. I only have about 40 miles on them but so far they have no break in period and feel like sneakers. I think the soles are a bit softer than other boots have worn but I don't think it will be a problem. I like the eyelets for the laces. They work well for allowing a different tightness for the foot and ankle. For me, with very wide feet (EEEE) these are the ONLY shoe that I have found that work well (on my 5th pair of $100 boot so far). They are an insulated boot but it is not very thick and are somewhat water proof but I have not gotten them soaked from the inside out to see how fast they dry yet (a critical yet overlooked factor) I will be alternating insoles between my custom orthotics, superfeet and stock. Each has it's own advantage and it seems, at least for me, switching seems to average them out.

TAS
06-01-2011, 14:43
I just ordered a pair for $89.99 with free shipping.

John

Old Hiker
06-07-2011, 16:06
I just ordered a pair for $89.99 with free shipping.

John

Just noticed the update - where did you order them from?

Also - anyone who has them, please keep updating - I'm seriously looking at these shoes.

Thanks.

TAS
06-08-2011, 15:53
Just noticed the update - where did you order them from?

Also - anyone who has them, please keep updating - I'm seriously looking at these shoes.

Thanks.

Here

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-new-balance-mo1000by-black-p_id199916

I ordered them, went home, realized I ordered one size too small, called them early the next day, they had shipped, while I was on the phone, they emailed me a return label.

free shipping, free shipping returns for exchanages

So far so good:banana

John

triggerracing
06-08-2011, 16:39
Found a few on ebay at a decent price if your size is available.