PDA

View Full Version : How much money should I take?

tiger
12-07-2010, 15:10
I'm leaving on March 14th for NOBO thru-hike. Assuming I have all my gear, and don't do any mail-drops, is $2500 reasonable? I've been planning this for over a year, just need some vendication.

wrongway_08
12-07-2010, 15:21
Yea, you should be fine with that. Just take it easy in town stops for the first 2 months to make shure it will last you. remember as the trail goes on, you will be spending more on food as your body adjust to the constant hiking and uses more energy to keep up.

Figure out what you think you will spend and add $500.00 to that. Then you are pretty much insured against running out.

A bounce box will save you time and money up north, when town stops get harder to get to and the towns are far away from food stores. Ship food forward and when you get to those towns up north - you can hit the post office, load up and then sit back and watch everyone else stress over tryn to find rides to the food stores - while you are stocked up and ready to go/relaxing/ watching TV and taking nice looong hot showers!!!

Spokes
12-07-2010, 15:27
Good advice from wrongway 08. Yes it is more expensive in New England so plan accordingly.

Remember, becoming a "town hound" will eat up your funds too. It's ruined many a would-be thru-hiker.

Cheers!

Bags4266
12-07-2010, 15:48
You don't mean "physically take" with you, as in have on your person?

wrongway_08
12-07-2010, 15:54
You don't mean "physically take" with you, as in have on your person?

Yes he does ....... I will be following his T.J. to keep track of him.............. I have a CDT hike to fund!! :D

SShhhhhh.... don't tell him he shouldnt carry it all at once, that'll be our secret!

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2010, 16:01
Tiger:

You can certainly hike on $2500.00 but this is kind of a lowball hike. Most folks today spend between $3000.00 and $4500.00.

With $2500.00 you'll need to use a a lot of discipline regarding your time off, time in towns, etc.

In the 'Articles" section of this website, there's a goor piece by Weathercarrot on hiking on a budget; you should check it out.

If you can somehow add at least $500.00 to your trip budget before you leave, I'd try and do that.

Also, try and leave several weeks later, i.e. in late April or early March. You'll probably have better weather, meaning less town time in the early days, fewer town/motel stops, etc.

Best of luck!!

Bags4266
12-07-2010, 16:09
Question, why not use a debit card? Much safer. I hate to loose that much cake!

wrongway_08
12-07-2010, 16:25
Debit card no, if someone steals the number - they wipe the account out and you have nothing left and no way to get it back.

Use a credit card and have it paid off every month automatically or just call in the payment as you are hiking. this way, if the number gets taken - the credit card company takes the hit - not you.

tiger
12-07-2010, 16:28
Thanks for the advice, and putting some of my worries to rest. I didn't think about needing more food up north. I guess I should shoot to have at least $1500 in the bank still by Harpers Ferry? And yeah, almost all of that will be in a debit account.

Pony
12-07-2010, 17:12
I made it from Damascus to Katahdin on around $2,400. That being said, I spent a lot of money early on in the hike and tightened up somewhere around Duncannon. Had I been wiser about how I spent my money then the last month or so of my hike would have been more enjoyable. And yes, you'll spend a lot more up north both due to higher prices and a much bigger appetite. I've spent over $15 at McD's and most of that was off of the dollar menu. Just be smart about how you spend your money and you'll be fine.

Spokes
12-07-2010, 17:17
Use a credit card and have it paid off every month automatically or just call in the payment as you are hiking. ...

So true.

I just ran a balance and set-up an automatic payment through online banking. Then settled up when I returned. No worries!

cbeaves
12-07-2010, 17:20
I spent about 1000 per month on my thru (includes all food, hostels, hotels, gear replacement and a visit to the doctor on trail). I may have had a slightly more luxurious hike that I didn't plan on because I found that I did not like to stay in hostels. So if you don't mind hostels then 2500 would be okay. Also control the amount of alcohol you may want in town. I hardly drank at all. I preferred to spend my money on good food.

It's always good to start with more than what you think you'll need if you can. Definitely control what you spend in the beginning. I could've tried to be a little better with my money in the first few months. And things do get more expensive up north! Also consider how much money you might need when you are done. It's no fun to be broke and done with your thru!

10-K
12-07-2010, 18:19
I would not start a thru with less than $7k.

I spent about a third of that hiking 800 miles so I figure $7k would do it with a bit of a safety cushion.

But, the 800 miles was the northernmost 800 miles of trail and it was a bit pricey compared to down south.

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2010, 19:15
Wow.

I say this with no disrespect towards anyone, but I'd LOVE to thru-hike with $7000.00. And spending a third of this, i.e. $2300.00 before you get to Waynesboro.....that's great, but the simple reality is that most folks, especially young folks (Tiger is 24) are simply not on this kind of budget.

Tiger: What other folks have told you is true....the North is more expensive on a lot of levels, and in some places, is a lot more than a bit pricier than down south.....it's a lot pricier. (I.e. you can get a motel room in all sorts of places down south for around 45 bucks or less......this simply won't happen in Connecticut, New York, etc. Cheapest motel room in Hanover NH, for example, costs close to a hundred dollars.) So saving at least 60% of your budget for north of Harpers Ferry is probably pretty wise.

garlic08
12-07-2010, 20:56
At age 24, if you don't drop too much on partying and are somewhat frugal, you should be OK with $2500. Some do it for less. I spent a little more than that but at my age I appreciated some hotel rooms and I had the money. If I didn't have the money, I think I could have done it for $2500. Excellent advice to have access to $500 contingency money somewhere.

Wizard 2009
12-07-2010, 21:37
I left AFSP with $1500 and broke the trail up into 15 sections of about 150-200 miles each section...giving myself about myself around 100 dollars for each section. I should point out that i did use mail drops so cost of trail food (and starting gear) is not considered in that $100...i figure that whole thru cost me $3.5k, and I was still able to get a fair number of town stops in.

Like most everyone here said, a thru can be as (in)expensive as you'd like it to be.

DapperD
12-07-2010, 22:05
I'm leaving on March 14th for NOBO thru-hike. Assuming I have all my gear, and don't do any mail-drops, is $2500 reasonable? I've been planning this for over a year, just need some vendication.Assuming you have all your gear and don't include the costs of travel to and from the trailheads, I guess you could do it for that amount. It will probably wind up being a Spartan 6 months if that's how long you wind up taking. Most likely it won't be, and you will wind up doing it quicker because you will be staying in the woods longer and not spending much time getting motel rooms, meals, and drinks in towns (you won't be able to afford it). If possible, plan to have a little bit more maybe, like $3500 total available. It may wind up making your hike a little bit more pleasant:-?.

Debit card no, if someone steals the number - they wipe the account out and you have nothing left and no way to get it back.

Use a credit card and have it paid off every month automatically or just call in the payment as you are hiking. this way, if the number gets taken - the credit card company takes the hit - not you.While I agree with you, I believe when using a credit card, some offer no cost if lost or stolen while some policies state that the owner is responsible for the first $50. With a debit card loss or theft, I believe the owner must act quickly (within 2 days time of realization the card is lost) in order to have a limited liability of $50. After that the liability raises to $500:http://banking.about.com/od/checkingaccounts/a/stolendebitcard.htm and after 60 days of it going unreported, the entire amount of the account can be compromised and additional fees possibly also may be due. I think pre-paid Visa cards also could be useful as they are not attached to ones personnal bank account/s and can be pre-loaded with different amounts. The only drawbacks really are the fees involved to purchase/use them.

GatorScout
12-07-2010, 23:40
i am going to start my thru in early april. I am going with a good friend and hiking buddy of mine. considering we will be splitting the cost of rooms and much of our food, how much would you guys suggest that we each take, if were trying to do it cheap and using drops? any help and advice is greatly appreciated

tiger
12-08-2010, 15:35
I'm just going to be really cheap these couple of months before starting my thru-hike and put an extra $1000 dollars on top of that $2500. I think it will be a lot more comfortable with $3500. I like to drink, so that will be a bit tougher, but I guess I'll spend more time in the woods if I have too. I'm also hiking with a parnter, but we're not sharing funds. I live in SC, so I also have to work out getting home too.

10-K
12-08-2010, 17:07
Wow.

I say this with no disrespect towards anyone, but I'd LOVE to thru-hike with $7000.00. And spending a third of this, i.e. $2300.00 before you get to Waynesboro.....that's great, but the simple reality is that most folks, especially young folks (Tiger is 24) are simply not on this kind of budget.

I hear you - if I were in my 20's again I think I'd consider $3500 a reasonable amount. No less, but that's just me. I've met more than a few people who quit because they ran out of money but I've never met anybody who quit because they had too much.

Now that I'm older and have more resources I'm fortunate enough to be able to splurge a bit in town stops.. I'm pretty grateful I can do that.

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2010, 17:21
I'm just going to be really cheap these couple of months before starting my thru-hike and put an extra $1000 dollars on top of that $2500. I think it will be a lot more comfortable with $3500. I like to drink, so that will be a bit tougher, but I guess I'll spend more time in the woods if I have too. I'm also hiking with a parnter, but we're not sharing funds. I live in SC, so I also have to work out getting home too.
alot cheaper to haul beer into the woods than drink at a bar. make sure you hump the empty cans back out to town. alot of first time thruhikers spend more! some on new gear, 3,500.00 is not bad. i spent about 4,500.00 or so every time(except my first time, i was so broke i couldn't pay attention:D). but i always had my dog along, and she loved cheeseburgers and treats as much as i did
have a great hike!!!

Stir Fry
12-08-2010, 17:28
i am going to start my thru in early april. I am going with a good friend and hiking buddy of mine. considering we will be splitting the cost of rooms and much of our food, how much would you guys suggest that we each take, if were trying to do it cheap and using drops? any help and advice is greatly appreciated

$2500 Each if you stay together. Most Hostals charge by the head. Hotels charge extra for more people. You each should have your one food budget.

garlic08
12-08-2010, 18:55

I also started my thru hike in early April and hiked all the way with a partner. We split hotel, laundry (don't underestimate laundry costs) and some bulk food costs and saved bunches. We only stayed in hostels (per head charge) a few times when there were no other options--we could often find a double room in a hotel for a few dollars more, often with free laundry, breakfast, and internet. We each hiked comfortably for less than $3500, and our average age was 60 years old so we stayed in more motels than most younger folks, I think. Baring injuries, you should do great on $3500.

wrongway_08
12-08-2010, 21:30
If you really want to save coin, skip hostels and hotels. Except for doing clothes and those times when you are just run down.

You can use your platypus or camel back as a shower. Hang it from a tree and strip down - wash off with soap and you are good to go. I did this every 3 days or so.

Others mention watching the party'n - it adds up quick. I didnt party but those that did would spend more on drinks alone in town stops then I would for room and food in town stops.

You will do fine with $2,500., just take it easy the first half and you will be okay.

Johnny Thunder
12-09-2010, 01:15

Use a credit card and have it paid off every month automatically or just call in the payment as you are hiking. this way, if the number gets taken - the credit card company takes the hit - not you.

i have a credit card through my primary bank. it makes life easy to only have to log in once a month and literally just transfer funds (like dropping from one account into another). i'm not a huge fan of multi-nationals but this is one benefit i see for a non-desk-bound traveler. BOA will let you set up a savings account for free...so you can just load all your hike money into that...sign out a credit card...pay it online with easy transfers...and be able to see in once place how much money you've spent and how much you have left.

stranger
12-14-2010, 09:27
This questions is asked a few times a year and it always seems to be the same kinda scenario, around $2000-$2500.

I've never thru-hiked but I know what's it like to hike for 8 weeks and watch the money go! Personally speaking, I think $3500 would be a minimum in 2011,which works out to $1.60 mile or thereabouts.

Break it down:
- Neels Gap, mile 30, $48 allowed, hostel is around $15, laundry is extra, dinner is gonna run you atleast $7-8, then you have to resupply for 2-3 days, etc...Plus your first 270 miles has alot of places to spend money...
- Hiawassee
- Franklin
- NOC
- Fontana Dam
- Gatlinburg
- Standing Bear Farm
- Hot Springs, etc....

If you LEAVE Hot Springs having spent less than $450, then you will be in good shape and have demonstrated some good discipline, but I've seen people blow double that amount at Neels Gap alone, unprepared, green and gullible people, but I've seen it.

I would recommend visiting every town to keep pack weight down, but only stay in every other town, hostel, motel, etc...

Also, if you are hiking with another person consider splitting motels, as others have said, it can be just as cheap, or very close to a hostel stay, plus you get your own bathroom, ususally cheap or free laundry, don't have to sit in laundromats, can watch TV, take 5 showers, etc...

10-K
12-14-2010, 09:52
It's like this... the more money you have the better time you can have.

Not necessarily WILL have, but CAN have.

I've done all the low-budget, barely scraping by, seat of the pants adventuring I want to do in this lifetime.

....and I've never met anyone who said they were getting off the trail because they had too much money but I've talked to more than a few who had to quit because they ran out.

I think the most practical approach that anyone who has marginal funds can makes is to start the trail, be frugal, and make a game out of seeing how far they can go before they run out of money.

BAG "o" TRICKS
12-14-2010, 11:31
I hear you - if I were in my 20's again I think I'd consider $3500 a reasonable amount. No less, but that's just me. I've met more than a few people who quit because they ran out of money but I've never met anybody who quit because they had too much.

Now that I'm older and have more resources I'm fortunate enough to be able to splurge a bit in town stops.. I'm pretty grateful I can do that.

Jack knows what he's talking about, especially about starting a little later, if possible. Jack also has great many friends along the trail who have helped him keep his cost down during his many thru-hikes. It would be fun to see him with 7 grand in his pockets doing a thruhike:banana. Cost have risen steadily for the past several years and that means price increases for 'everything', postage, food and drink, gear, motels and hostels. I personally would try to put together at least $5000 for a thru-hike, as some here have expressed you can do it for much less just not as comfortable, 'so to speak'. I would carry a little ($50-$100) cash and use a pre-paid debit/credit card that does not charge a fee, or open a ‘new’ bill pay debit account with your bank just for the trip. Transfer money from your personal account to the new account as needed. Keep alert for any special deals with meals and motels along the trail and try not to get town sucked. By the way they there may not be an outfitter in Port Clinton, PA (post office is a great mail drop) for your thru-hike but there will be a ‘new’ 24hour Wal-Mart Supercenter opening in the Hamburg area just before the Cabela’s less than a mile from the trail. Have fun, hope to see you and other '11's' out there.

the goat
12-14-2010, 18:47

of course the more you have, the more comfortable you'll be; but 2500 is entirely doable with a little dicipline.

camping just shy of town and then hiking in early the next day will help you save some funds becasue you get everything done in one day.

get used to the finer things in life when you get to town! (natty light, mcdonald's dollar menu, old crow, etc.)

DapperD
12-14-2010, 19:38
I hear you - if I were in my 20's again I think I'd consider $3500 a reasonable amount. No less, but that's just me. I've met more than a few people who quit because they ran out of money but I've never met anybody who quit because they had too much.This is so very true. I can see people who, for whatever reason simply cannot save up more than say $3000 to do their hike, and they want other's opinions as to wether or not they can successfully complete the entire trail on that amount. One thing you don't see people posting too often is them saying they have $6000 or so saved to do their thru-hike, but that they are going to attempt to only do it on $3000. The reason for this is because they know if something goes wrong, they still have in reserve the extra $3000 from the $6000 that they can and will be able to access if they may need it. Since they are fairly sure they will be safe knowing they have the $6000 available if they would need the full amount to complete the trip, then there is no need to ask other's advice on wether they can complete the trip on what they have. The moral of the story is maybe you can do the hike for less and maybe you cannot. But if you cannot and you do not have additional funds accessable if and when you may be in need of them, then your hike will fall into jeapardy, and it will wind up ending when maybe it didn't have to. At least try to have some extra set aside in the event you do need it.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2010, 19:58
Some very good advice here, but I feel I have to comment on a few things....

It's all well and good to advise people to forego towns, hostels, motels, restaurants, etc.

A zillion years ago I had an old pitching coach who (before I decided I was much better off at second base) imparted this gem: "The key to successful pitching is to throw strikes."

Yup. You got it, coach. No doubt about it.

And absolutely, if one can discipline one's self from town, leave the Trail only when necessary, get OUT of town right away, avoid over-nighting there or taking "zero" days, never ordering a beer, always getting the cheapest thing on the menu, skipping town meals when all your friends are going somewhere..........yes, absolutely, you will save hundreds of dollars if you can do these things.

Unfortunately, making these behavioral resolutions ahead of time generally proves much easier than keeping them, especially for younger hikers who tend to "group up" and travel/hike together. It's VERY difficult to tell your friends you won't be joining them at a popular trail hostel or won't split a motel room with them. Likewise, when you get out of bed in Franklin at 8 in the morning and see that it's sleeting out, it's really difficult to not stick with your friends and stay that extra day, and so on. Staying in the hostel and heating up a can of soup when your buds are out having pizza and beer is neither a fun nor an easy thing to do.

So, yeah, telling folks to avoids towns, motels, hostels, is fine. It's good advice and will certainly save people money, but actually DOING this can be tough, which is why I think most folks would do better than leaving with just 2000.00 or 2500.00. Try really hard to bring more, even if it means leaving later than you'd planned, or perhaps working (and saving) til June and then Southbounding. Trying to finish a thru-hike on a miniscule budget is no fun at all, and abandoning a hike due to money woes is even worse.

In my experience, there are a lot more folks who'll TELL you about how easy it is to hike on 1800 or 2000 bucks than folks who've actually done so. Oh, and as others have wisely said, whatever your "planned" or intended budget is, try and add 10-15 % to it for unforeseen stuff......side trips, medical issues, horrible weather, gear emergencies, etc. Later in your life, three or four hundred bucks won't seem like a big deal. On a long hike, it can be a VERY big deal.

tiger
12-16-2010, 14:39
Very good points Jack. Since posting this I've paid up all my bills until March and I can save more. I won't have any problems saving over $3000. I think the biggest thing is just having to adjust according to how much money I have. I'm going to go regardless, but you definetly can't have too much!

Serial 07
12-16-2010, 15:55
tiger,

another trick slash cool thing about attempting a thru hike is friends and family love to come along...i set up an email list and kept people up to date with what i was doing and trail life and whatnot...it wasn't long before i was getting tons of requests to send me food and baked goods...i was very fortunate to have people at home that were willing to send me packages and that helped me save money...not that you should not be prepared for your hike regardless of what may come from home, i'm just saying that if you play all your cards right and keep the loved ones close, they may unknowingly help you stretch all your dollars...more $ equals more time to do what ever it is you wanna do on your amazing vacation...i would save all the $ you can and go from there...being prudent the first month will help you leap frog the slower, never really gonna finish, just out here for the fun folks so when you really find your crowd and you guys wanna stay a few extra days drinking a couple cold ones at The Doyle, you'll be able to...

10-K
12-16-2010, 16:03
And.... it's Christmas time - instead of gifts ask those you feel that it's appropriate enough to do so for cash, explaining what your plans are and that help realizing that goal is the best gift they could give.

Lost_Soul
12-16-2010, 18:06
You can also pretend to be a friend to someone who's barely hangin on to life. This way you can take all you can from him. Then, if you're married, you get his wife to join in the lie. And, if he starts to get his strength back you can always make false accusations about him to cover your cowardness. It's a win-win. (well, unless he keeps all conversations and emails. Then you just have to hope he's a decent person and lets you convolute yourself with your lies)

DapperD
12-16-2010, 19:29
You can also pretend to be a friend to someone who's barely hangin on to life. This way you can take all you can from him. Then, if you're married, you get his wife to join in the lie. And, if he starts to get his strength back you can always make false accusations about him to cover your cowardness. It's a win-win. (well, unless he keeps all conversations and emails. Then you just have to hope he's a decent person and lets you convolute yourself with your lies)Sounds like the makings of a great B movie:D.

Amarizi
12-24-2010, 18:20
Why are you people spending so much money? It seems absolutely ridiculous to spend such an exorbitant amount of money when you are practically living as a hobo. I suppose if you want to live it up in hotels and eat at restaurants, you are going to burn a huge hole in your pocket, but otherwise, there is no way you should be spending thousands.

DapperD
12-24-2010, 21:41
Why are you people spending so much money? It seems absolutely ridiculous to spend such an exorbitant amount of money when you are practically living as a hobo. I suppose if you want to live it up in hotels and eat at restaurants, you are going to burn a huge hole in your pocket, but otherwise, there is no way you should be spending thousands.The beauty of a thru-hike is it can be done anyway one wants to. Start at either end, start somewhere near the middle. Hike fast or slow. Go into towns often, or only when absolutely necessary to resupply. Hike alone or with others. And when it comes to money, hike on the cheap and rarely revitalize by heading into town for good food and drink, and/or attain warm dry lodging and beds for when the weather turns for the worst, purchase replacement gear, etc...when needed, or as most do since a thru-hike of the AT is usually for most a once in one's lifetime event, save up enough money to enjoy one's self and not have to want or be deprived of comfort's that in the long run pay back huge dividends in the form of one being able to continue on and actually complete their hike. Everyone is different. And everyone's needs are different. However the wisest realize that their needs will subsequently change once they are out there day after day. And this is why people who are smart know that they at least need to have extra money set aside for if and when it may be needed.

Lilred
12-24-2010, 22:25
Why are you people spending so much money? It seems absolutely ridiculous to spend such an exorbitant amount of money when you are practically living as a hobo. I suppose if you want to live it up in hotels and eat at restaurants, you are going to burn a huge hole in your pocket, but otherwise, there is no way you should be spending thousands.

Are you a troll? First post and just joined up today??? And giving lousy advice to boot.

I smell a troll.....

Amarizi
12-24-2010, 23:43
Are you a troll? First post and just joined up today??? And giving lousy advice to boot.

I smell a troll.....

I was not dispensing advice. I was remarking how insane some of the figures proposed here are. Thru-hiking the AT should cost very little if you are willing to forego restaurants and hotels. To suggest that it costs $3,000 or so for a thru-hike is bad advice. Anyway, this post kind of annoyed me, so I chimed in.

Lilred
12-25-2010, 00:48
I was not dispensing advice. I was remarking how insane some of the figures proposed here are. Thru-hiking the AT should cost very little if you are willing to forego restaurants and hotels. To suggest that it costs $3,000 or so for a thru-hike is bad advice. Anyway, this post kind of annoyed me, so I chimed in.

And your post kinda annoyed me too....

If you think $3000 is a lot of money for a thru hike, you're dead wrong. If you forego restaurants and hotels, $3000 could get you there. But it is not a lot of money for a thru. $10,000, now that's a lot of money. And if you're going to do a thru hike, wouldn't you want some restaurants and hotels?? I think so. Have you ever thru hiked? I'm thinking not. Have you ever even did a long distance hike for, say, weeks at a time? I'd wager not. Of course, this is only based on what information you have given, from your first post here on WB.

I'd think twice before I question the advice given here by men who have thru hiked. If they say $3000 is a good amount to have IF you're frugal, listen to them. It doesn't matter what you 'think' is an insane amount. This is the reality. When I go on mine, I won't take less than $5000. I know how a restaurant and a hotel feels after a couple of weeks on the trail, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to forego those amenities.

By the time I get to go, I'll probably have to add $1000 due to inflation.....

Fog Horn
12-25-2010, 01:26
tiger,

another trick slash cool thing about attempting a thru hike is friends and family love to come along...i set up an email list and kept people up to date with what i was doing and trail life and whatnot...it wasn't long before i was getting tons of requests to send me food and baked goods...i was very fortunate to have people at home that were willing to send me packages and that helped me save money...not that you should not be prepared for your hike regardless of what may come from home, i'm just saying that if you play all your cards right and keep the loved ones close, they may unknowingly help you stretch all your dollars...more $ equals more time to do what ever it is you wanna do on your amazing vacation...i would save all the $ you can and go from there...being prudent the first month will help you leap frog the slower, never really gonna finish, just out here for the fun folks so when you really find your crowd and you guys wanna stay a few extra days drinking a couple cold ones at The Doyle, you'll be able to...

This is excellent advice. I kind of feel really stupid for not thinking of it. I got so many care packages when I deployed from not just family, but people I never would have expected nice things from. A girl in one of my classes sent me a 200 dollar Amazon gift card, another stranger sent me a box of Christmas things. People connect to things like this. The deployment, the trail, these are things those people might never do but they wanted to be a part of it somehow and make a difference to someone who was doing it.

I feel really lame that I hadn't thought of this. That's what I love about this forum though.

Fog Horn
12-25-2010, 01:29
Also, on the money issue itself.... when you look at the sum of money it takes to hike the AT comfortably, and compare it to the "hobo/ bum" lifestyle you'll be living for that money, you are neglecting to consider how much money you would spend in six months in your real life.

Food, movies, gasoline, going out with friends, a case of beer to bring home for a football game, tickets to a concert, all these things add up. I'd be willing to wager that if you look at your finances for the last six months, you've spent three grand on things you wouldn't need to spend money on while hiking the trail.

It all evens out, imo.

Amarizi
12-25-2010, 11:11
And your post kinda annoyed me too....

For the amount of money you are spending, I could live in NYC for months comfortably. You act as though yours is the only way to hike the AT when it is most certainly not. It is misleading and dreadful advice. You can hike it as cheaply as you want as long as you are willing to make some sacrifices, if you can call some of those things sacrifices.

TheChop
12-25-2010, 11:20
For the amount of money you are spending, I could live in NYC for months comfortably.

Now you just played your troll hand too hard.

Amarizi
12-25-2010, 11:36
Now you just played your troll hand too hard.

I have done it, but I guess anyone that thinks spending $3-5k to be homeless could not imagine it.

10-K
12-25-2010, 12:11
Don't forget your hair shirt - the best in comfort.

http://www.elsaelsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hair-shirt.jpg

Amarizi
12-25-2010, 13:00
Why would anyone take to what most is a once in a lifetime adventure and not have enough money to enjoy themselves. Making sacrafices seems foolish when it comes to food in town.

I have no problem with people doing things their own way. If they want, they can spend $25,000 hiking the AT, but to suggest that spending thousands upon thousands is the way to do it is just terrible advice. You should state what the bare minimum is, then go from there. Restaurant meals and hotel stays are not the bare minimum.

jfan
12-25-2010, 14:57
I have no problem with people doing things their own way. If they want, they can spend $25,000 hiking the AT, but to suggest that spending thousands upon thousands is the way to do it is just terrible advice. You should state what the bare minimum is, then go from there. Restaurant meals and hotel stays are not the bare minimum.

When did you complete your thru hike? How long did it take you?

4eyedbuzzard
12-25-2010, 16:11
For the amount of money you are spending, I could live in NYC for months comfortably.

Yeah, $3,000 actually goes a reasonably long way in a commissary account on Riker's Island. :rolleyes:

You must be a troll, because the only place you're going to live "comfortably" for more than a month in NYC for under $3,000 is underneath a bridge.