PDA

View Full Version : Old Rag Night Hike

busch
12-07-2010, 15:48
I've done Old Rag a many times during the day, but this Friday I'm heading up there with some buddies to start the climb around 3:30 or 4am. I'm having trouble finding out several things: if the parking lot will be available, and if that's even allowed.
I know it's kind of a silly question, seeing how they allow camping below 2800ft, but I'd just like to be sure before I drive on out there.

the goat
12-07-2010, 15:52
yes, you'll be able to park. i used to use the upper lot for staging night hikes on old rag, but it's been a few years since i've done so. i believe hikers are only supposed to use the lower lot now.

have fun, night hiking on old rag is an amazing experience! it's more fun in the winter time as well, you'll see little lights twinkling here and there across the valley.

enjoy!

busch
12-07-2010, 16:09
Thanks for the fast reply!

I've been checking the weather and it seems it'll be nice and fridged with the next couple days dropping down to the high teens. This will be my first night hike, it should be a great time. Any special tips? I believe we're well equipped with warm gear, headlamps etc...

the goat
12-07-2010, 16:16
Thanks for the fast reply!

I've been checking the weather and it seems it'll be nice and fridged with the next couple days dropping down to the high teens. This will be my first night hike, it should be a great time. Any special tips? I believe we're well equipped with warm gear, headlamps etc...

it'll be windy up on the ridge. also, watch for ice...even if there hasn't been precip in days, there are spots up on the bald rocks that leech water during the day and freeze at night. some of the areas are near the steep dropoffs near the top, so take extra precaution with your footing. a good rule of thumb is to be certain that one foot is secure, before raising the second. use your hands whereever possible too.

if there is a good moon out, you won't really need your headlamps much up on the ridge. in full moons, we never even took em out of our packs.

definitely jealous, been way too long since i've been up there at night....

Cookerhiker
12-07-2010, 16:42
Info re. Old Rag parking: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59932

busch
12-07-2010, 16:57
Yeah, the lot has been closed since April I believe. I've hiked it twice this year, and both times the upper lot was closed. I was just making sure the lower lot wasn't going to be gated off. Thanks for all the info guys, it's going to be a fun cold hike!

ATsawyer
12-07-2010, 17:53
Assuming you'll go up Ridge trail, beware of icing conditions on the first downhill switchback on Saddle trail past the shelter. There is a permanent seep on the northern shady side of the trail there. I'd suggest taking a pair of Katoolah microspikes along.

busch
12-08-2010, 16:32
Yup, of course doing the Ridge Trail then heading back down to the parking lot via the fire road. I hadn't really considered water seeping from the rocks and freezing at night. I don't have any microspikes and am reluctant to buy any for this trip. I'm planning for a 2011 NOBO so I figure this'll be good training incase I need to night hike to stay warm during march/april. I'll have to be careful of my footing and not jump around like a mountain goat like I usually do during the summer. Thanks for the great advice.

the goat
12-08-2010, 16:49
Yup, of course doing the Ridge Trail then heading back down to the parking lot via the fire road. I hadn't really considered water seeping from the rocks and freezing at night. I don't have any microspikes and am reluctant to buy any for this trip. I'm planning for a 2011 NOBO so I figure this'll be good training incase I need to night hike to stay warm during march/april. I'll have to be careful of my footing and not jump around like a mountain goat like I usually do during the summer. Thanks for the great advice.

you'll be fine without microspikes, i've done the mountain at night in winter many times & never used them. but do exercise an abundance of caution.

ATsawyer
12-08-2010, 17:44
I'll be up there clearing a big blowdown on lower Ridge Trail Saturday. Too late for you, but watch your step.