PDA

View Full Version : Decided yesterday that I want hike the AT, this April. Am I crazy?

writeronthestorm
12-07-2010, 16:40
I have the bug really bad and I cant get the AT out of my mind. I was originally wanting to do a NOBO in 2012, but then I got to thinking...

I'm single with no kids

The lease is up on my house in Febuary 2011

I just paid my truck off in September so I don't have any car payments to make.

I already have all the gear, except trekking poles and a small point-and-shoot camera. Other then that I have everything I need already minus food. I mean granted my pack is big (Gregory Baltoro 70), but Iv'e used it so much that it's like an extension of my back anyways. Doing a quick mental inventory at what I have right now I could start with a 30 pound pack minus food and water.

I just bought all the necessary guidebooks from Amazon yesterday so I'm waiting for that stuff to arrive so I can get to planning. The only thing worrying me at this point is how I will deal with the food situation.

I haven't told anyone of my family or friends yet because they will think I'm bonkers.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy or could I pull this thing off? I mean, I keep thinking, why not just do it?... ya know?

Cookerhiker
12-07-2010, 16:54
I have the bug really bad and I cant get the AT out of my mind. I was originally wanting to do a NOBO in 2012, but then I got to thinking...

I'm single with no kids

I already have all the gear, except trekking poles and a small point-and-shoot camera. Other then that I have everything I need already minus food. I mean granted my pack is big (Gregory Baltoro 70), but Iv'e used it so much that it's like an extension of my back anyways. Doing a quick mental inventory at what I have right now I could start with a 30 pound pack minus food and water.

I just bought all the necessary guidebooks from Amazon yesterday so I'm waiting for that stuff to arrive so I can get to planning. The only thing worrying me at this point is how I will deal with the food situation.

I haven't told anyone of my family or friends yet because they will think I'm bonkers.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy or could I pull this thing off? I mean, I keep thinking, why not just do it?... ya know?

The short answer to your question: No.

You're not crazy at all. You have plenty of time to pull it off especially since you already have most of your gear. Expect to get some advice here on WB about lightening your so-called "base weight" but if you're comfortable with your setup, then go with it.

Re. your food question, you need to decide about maildrops vs. resupplying along the way vs. a hybrid. There are already lots of existing threads on that subject - just do some searching.

You sound well-prepared but you didn't mention finances. Do you have enough $$$ for a thruhike?

Don't know about your conditioning but it would behoove you to get some aerobic exercise and get in some practice "shakedown" hikes.

Finally I note you're from the "dry" part of Washington. Make sure you're prepared - mentally as well as physically - for rain during your hike. And then there's the Eastern mid-summer humidity - can't prepare physically, only mentally.

Best of luck to you!

Cookerhiker
12-07-2010, 16:59
...Re. your food question, you need to decide about maildrops vs. resupplying along the way vs. a hybrid. There are already lots of existing threads on that subject - just do some searching...

Here's one such thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66687

And if you go into Forums and look under Thruhiking topics, you'll find more. The one I posted here is the most recent one.

Spokes
12-07-2010, 17:05
Yes, just do it. Commit to go all the way.

Like others said, I'd suggest lightening your load. You can use this list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) (ignore the pop-ups) to compare. It gives you an 18-19 lb base weight. Tweak it for summer.

Cheers!

writeronthestorm
12-07-2010, 17:06
I's just that its the set-up I have. Its the set up Ive invested so much in already. I mean yeah it could definitely be lighter, but with such a short notice I'm going to have a tight budget. So yeah, the money situation is going to be tricky but with some discipline and sacrifice I think I can manage

We had a really wet summer. I got rained on everywhere I went. I have good rain gear. I've spent hours practicing the art of starting a fire in the rain... Trust me I know it can get miserable being soaked all the time, and yeah it can royally suck while your in it for days on end.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement Cookerhiker!

Iceaxe
12-07-2010, 17:15
You can always make changes as you go. On my first thru hike I thought everything had to be perfect before I set out. It turned out to be much easier on the PCT to swap out gear than I thought.
The year before that first thur hike my pack weighed 35 lbs base. The day I left the Mexican border it was 10.5. I had spent the moths before the hike making "shake down" hikes testing out my system. It worked for me cause I had a lot of free time.
Looking back now I could just as easily made the same changes on the trail although it would have involved mailing a lot of stuff home and having new stuff shipped to P.O.'s or bought at outfitters along the way.

Your post reminds me of how I first decided to make a thru hike. I was shaving one morning in December of 2008. i looked in the mirror and thought.."I am gonna go hike the PCT." The next phone call I made was to tell my boss I needed 5 months off.
It happened just like than.
I can't tell you what is right for you. I can say the decision for me was quick just the way you are describing.
Follow Your Bliss.:sun

Cookerhiker
12-07-2010, 17:17
Sounds like you're in good shape! Good luck! WB is a wonderful site and you'll find lots of answers and opinions - sometimes they don't even contradict each other.:D

...Expect to get some advice here on WB about lightening your so-called "base weight" but if you're comfortable with your setup, then go with it.....

.... I'd suggest lightening your load. You can use this list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) (ignore the pop-ups) to compare. It gives you an 18-19 lb base weight. Tweak it for summer.

Cheers!

It didn't take long, did it? I feel remarkably prescient.:rolleyes:

TheChop
12-07-2010, 17:20
I have honestly been puzzled with people that have taken years to plan for a thru-hike. Obviously financial and life logistics come into play and I understand that but for it was a similar situation. Lease is up in February. Window of time is open. I decided officially about a month ago even though I'd been toying with the idea for quite some time.

TheChop
12-07-2010, 17:22
Obviously financial and life logistics come into play and I understand that but for it was a similar situation.

I have no idea what I was doing with this sentence. I was so excited by getting my Montbell bag on sale that I spaced. I will accept my lashings with dignity.

Pony
12-07-2010, 17:28
I's just that its the set-up I have. Its the set up Ive invested so much in already. I mean yeah it could definitely be lighter, but with such a short notice I'm going to have a tight budget. So yeah, the money situation is going to be tricky but with some discipline and sacrifice I think I can manage

As long as you're comfortable with your gear I wouldn't even be concerned about it. Besides if you really need to replace something on the trail there are ample opportunities to do so.

As far as preparing, sounds like you're pretty much ready. I never even loaded my pack until about 10pm the day before I left. You'll have plenty of time on the trail to figure things out.

Also food can be easily obtained along the trail. It may make sense to send food drops to a few places, but you can definitely buy food the whole way. One less thing to worry about.

Good Luck.

kanga
12-07-2010, 17:29
yes, you're crazy. welcome to the club.

BobTheBuilder
12-07-2010, 17:53
Lucky bastard...

Luddite
12-07-2010, 17:58
You're a raving lunatic but, yes, you can pull it off. If I was you I'd get a different pack. I used to have that same pack and IMO its too heavy for a thru-hike.

restlesss
12-07-2010, 18:10
Dude, just go already. To repeat a previous post...lucky bastard!!!

writeronthestorm
12-07-2010, 18:13
You're a raving lunatic but, yes, you can pull it off. If I was you I'd get a different pack. I used to have that same pack and IMO its too heavy for a thru-hike.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. It is a heavy pack. Looking at packs in the 2 pound range the REI Flash 50 seems the best option. I was checking out the GoLite Jam but the whole "frame-less" aspect scares me.

Luddite
12-07-2010, 18:16
I was kind of wondering the same thing. It is a heavy pack. Looking at packs in the 2 pound range the REI Flash 50 seems the best option. I was checking out the GoLite Jam but the whole "frame-less" aspect scares me.

Check out the ULA packs.

http://ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp

http://ula-equipment.com/ohm.asp

scope
12-07-2010, 19:07

You're asking US if you should go? Isn't that a bit like asking a car salesman if you can afford a new car?

There are of ton of options that compare favorably - perhaps more so - to the REI pack. If I were you, I'd get out with what you have and let the folks at Mountain Crossings show you the way.

Ladytrekker
12-07-2010, 20:37

I'm single with no kids

Absolutely certifiable. Most LD hikers I have met are but in a very good way. Enjoy the trip.

bigcranky
12-07-2010, 22:00
You come to a community of people who are totally insane about the A.T., and ask us if it's insane to hike the A.T.?? Hmmm, not sure what kind of response you'll get.... :-?

Four months is plenty of time to plan. Heck, a month is time, especially for someone who has hiking/backpacking experience. Just put four days of food in your pack and start hiking -- you can buy what you need along the way. You definitely want one of the guides, like the Companion or similar, and I like carrying the maps. The guide will give you important information about resupply and the like -- it's crucial gear, IMO.

As for a 30 pound base weight, that's up to you. That puts your total pack in the 40-pound range with food and water. Plenty of hikers have successfully carried 40+ pound packs on a thru-hike. The only comment I will make is that I've met several Western hikers who were somewhat surprised at the grading on the A.T. in Georgia.

HiKen2011
12-07-2010, 22:05
If I'm not mistaken Crumbsnatcher stepped on the AT at AFSP without ever doing any long distance hiking! Look at him now, wow!!!!!!!!!!! You're not crazy, well maybe;) but all of us are!!! Good luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine and if I can help in any way let me know!!! :welcome

12-07-2010, 22:14
Agreed, join the club! I think the AT bug is impossible to cure. Once bitten you are doomed to dream of nothing else until you get out there. That is where I am at. I have been wanting to go for about a year now. I had done VA/PA/NJ sections when I was a teen, but haven't been back since. Unfortunately I am stuck as a caregiver for my father, so I have no choice but to wait. Prognosis is not good and so I may be going next year, but more likely 2012. It is so difficult to wait, since if I didn't have this responsibility I could go tomorrow. But I am content and privledged to be taking care of my dad until the end. I know it is very clique, but I agree that everyone should follow their dreams and do what makes you happiest.

Good Luck!

HiKen2011
12-07-2010, 22:20
Agreed, join the club! I think the AT bug is impossible to cure. Once bitten you are doomed to dream of nothing else until you get out there. That is where I am at. I have been wanting to go for about a year now. I had done VA/PA/NJ sections when I was a teen, but haven't been back since. Unfortunately I am stuck as a caregiver for my father, so I have no choice but to wait. Prognosis is not good and so I may be going next year, but more likely 2012. It is so difficult to wait, since if I didn't have this responsibility I could go tomorrow. But I am content and privledged to be taking care of my dad until the end. I know it is very clique, but I agree that everyone should follow their dreams and do what makes you happiest.

Good Luck!

It's hard taking care of a parent, I've been there. But I wouldn't take anything now for that time I spent with Mom in her last days. They are priceless! I don't feel like NOW that I would have had it any other way. You're time will come and you'll be thankful for what you've done in care giving. It is worth it!

HiKen :)

12-07-2010, 22:30
It's hard taking care of a parent, I've been there. But I wouldn't take anything now for that time I spent with Mom in her last days. They are priceless! I don't feel like NOW that I would have had it any other way. You're time will come and you'll be thankful for what you've done in care giving. It is worth it!

HiKen :)

Thanks HiKen, I appreciate that. It is difficult, as my dad is a walking Merck's Manual. He has nearly everything you can imagine (Alzheimers, cancer, diabetes, liver issues, intestinal issues, 1 kidney left functioning and only at 30%, hepatitis, heart disease, etc). It is not easy watching someone slip away mentally and physically, but I would stop taking care of him unless someone drug me away in handcuffs. I have been taking care of him for 5 years and no one expected him to last this long. Now they are saying he has less than 18 months, but more likely less than a year.

So in the meantime I am doing as much research and planning as I can, without driving myself nuts with anticipation. My time will come and I will start a new life for myself.

HiKen2011
12-07-2010, 22:34
Thanks HiKen, I appreciate that. It is difficult, as my dad is a walking Merck's Manual. He has nearly everything you can imagine (Alzheimers, cancer, diabetes, liver issues, intestinal issues, 1 kidney left functioning and only at 30%, hepatitis, heart disease, etc). It is not easy watching someone slip away mentally and physically, but I would stop taking care of him unless someone drug me away in handcuffs. I have been taking care of him for 5 years and no one expected him to last this long. Now they are saying he has less than 18 months, but more likely less than a year.

So in the meantime I am doing as much research and planning as I can, without driving myself nuts with anticipation. My time will come and I will start a new life for myself.

You're in my thoughts and prayers!!!

HiKen

DapperD
12-07-2010, 22:37

I'm single with no kids

What do you guys think? Am I crazy or could I pull this thing off? I mean, I keep thinking, why not just do it?... ya know?If you have the funds available, no commitments and feel the insatiable desire to do it, and feel the time is right then I would say it sounds to me you would be good to go. You are at a point in your life where if you don't do it now you may never. Everyones life is constantly changing, and something may occur in your life that may prevent you from being able to do it till you are much older, if ever. And in your situation, being in your early 30's you are still young enough to most likely be able to achieve the energy you will need on a day to day basis for months on end. It only gets harder as you get older.

writeronthestorm
12-07-2010, 22:38
Thanks for the encouragement everybody... You know, I got to thinking about that 30 pound base weight and I think I was off. I have a hanging scale that I use to way my packs before hikes and usually they are around 30 after food and water. It seems pretty reasonable to me that I could get the weight well into the 20's... I am curious about a couple things maybe you guys can help me out with.

Is it really that cold down south in April? Can I use my 20 degree bag if I'm a warm sleeper? Would it be worth it to pick up a bag liner just in case? Or should I just flat-out buy a 0 degree bag?

Do I really need to bring a fleece and a puffy jacket? I have to be honest, Ive never purchased a good down jacket before, because frankly I never thought I needed one. Is that overkill or not?

Are the shelters as bad as everyone says? I plan on bringing a tent because It seems like the shelters are places to avoid sleeping in if possible. A lot of people seem to cut weight by not bringing a tent and relying on the shelters, or there own tarp/shelter system. Is that really wise? I mean to me it seems that if I'm expecting rain and wind I would want a walled tent. Am I wrong?

I've read that a lot hikers wear trail running shoes. Trail running shoes aren't waterproof and I can imagine that if i wore only shoes on some of the trails Ive hiked over here in Washington, Idaho, ans Montana I would have soaking wet feet. Other than weight, what reason would I want to wear shoes over gortex lined leather boots?

bigcranky
12-07-2010, 22:50
For an April start, you'll get some cold nights, but for the most part the lows might be in the 20s or around freezing, and the highs in the 40s to 60s. The weather is highly variable, of course -- I've been out in single digits in mid-April, and in the 70s in January.

The 20-F bag is fine for an April start. You can probably do fine with a fleece sweater, but I prefer a puffy jacket. Warmer for the weight, and more compressible. And you can use it inside your bag for more warmth. I like down, but synthetic works too.

Bring a tent. Really. The shelters are a mixed bag -- some folks like them, others don't. Even if you end up liking them, you'll need a tent or a tarptent or similar. There is no guarantee you'll make it to a shelter, nor that there will be space available. A lot of hikers (myself included) like to camp near shelters for the amenities: a table to cook on, nearby water, and sometimes the company (sometimes not.)

Trail runners are another mixed bag. I like them; been hiking in nothing but for over ten years. Sure, they get wet, but the dry quickly -- much faster than boots, which also get wet but take forever to dry. In the winter I use Goretex trail runners, but I wouldn't bother in April.

Spokes
12-07-2010, 22:54

Luddite, he could always try strapping a wicker laundry basket to his back....That's what a raving lunatic would do.

Never know, might just start a trend.

weary
12-07-2010, 23:07
....As for a 30 pound base weight, that's up to you. That puts your total pack in the 40-pound range with food and water. Plenty of hikers have successfully carried 40+ pound packs on a thru-hike. The only comment I will make is that I've met several Western hikers who were somewhat surprised at the grading on the A.T. in Georgia.
In fact, most thru hikers until a decade or so ago, started with 30 pound base weight packs, or higher. A significant number of hikers still do.

None of these multitudes were or are wrong. There are both benefits and drawbacks to starting with a high base weight. The drawback? That's easy. It's 10 or 15 pounds heavier than needed.

The benefit? You own it. It has safety built in. It won't cost scarce money to replace.

My pack, base weight, food, water, and luxuries started around 45 pounds in 1993. By the time I reached Katahdin, it was down to 35 or so. Not as a result of buying new gear, but as a result of throwing out unneeded stuff.

Do that also as you progress north. But if you don't quite make the Go-light crowd goals.

Don't worrry. Hike your own hike. It all works.

GatorScout
12-07-2010, 23:22
when in april are you planning to leave, im planning to leave in early april this year and im a newbie. just thought i would mention that. hit me up

TheCheek
12-08-2010, 00:03
Doooooo eeeeeeeet.
There will never be a better time and if you wait your opportunity will pass you by. You never know what next year will bring unless you take hold of your life and make junk happen. By junk I meant thru hiking.

DuctTape
12-08-2010, 07:10
20 degree bag is perfect.

Fleece yes. Puffy jacket no.

Bring your tent. You can always ship it home if you change your mind. Shelters aren't so bad, they're often crowded for a reason.

I love trail runners. They're lighter, more breathable, and dry out quickly. Check out the Merrell Moab Ventilator. Goretex boots are clunky, get wet anyway, and retain that moist funky heavy nastiness.

Make sure you have as much money as possible. That's important. The freedom to splurge in town during a mentally tough period can make or break the whole trip.

Lucky bastard! I'm jealous.

scope
12-08-2010, 10:52
Is it really that cold down south in April? Can I use my 20 degree bag if I'm a warm sleeper? Would it be worth it to pick up a bag liner just in case? Or should I just flat-out buy a 0 degree bag?

Do I really need to bring a fleece and a puffy jacket? I have to be honest, Ive never purchased a good down jacket before, because frankly I never thought I needed one. Is that overkill or not?

Are the shelters as bad as everyone says? I plan on bringing a tent because It seems like the shelters are places to avoid sleeping in if possible. A lot of people seem to cut weight by not bringing a tent and relying on the shelters, or there own tarp/shelter system. Is that really wise? I mean to me it seems that if I'm expecting rain and wind I would want a walled tent. Am I wrong?

I've read that a lot hikers wear trail running shoes. Trail running shoes aren't waterproof and I can imagine that if i wore only shoes on some of the trails Ive hiked over here in Washington, Idaho, ans Montana I would have soaking wet feet. Other than weight, what reason would I want to wear shoes over gortex lined leather boots?

Lots of other threads on these subjects, but here's my 2cents...

Southern weather can be very inconsistent and very often we don't have distinct seasons with typical weather for that season. For instance, you can hit a stretch (not just a day or two) in Feb where you'd be in a tshirt and shorts, and in April, even early May you can hit a stretch where you'd be glad you had that puffy jacket.

My thought on the down jacket is that because it is relatively easy to pack, I would get one. Take the 20 degree bag and wear the jacket to supplement the bag when it gets that cold. When it gets warm, unzip the bag all the way and use it as a quilt.

Shelters - first of all, folks don't save weight by not bringing a tent/tarp/hammock as their shelter, that's just a stupid thing to do. You can't ever count on being able to sleep in the shelter, although instances where you can't are rare. Shelters are what they are, some are better than others. Lone Wolf knows a lot about shelters, ask him. ;)

The AT ain't the west. Gore Tex boots are perfect for out there. Some like them on the AT, some don't. There's a good reason not to like them, which is that your shoes will get wet, waterproof or not, that's just the AT. Gore Tex boots take longer to dry out afterward. So, you got a heavy boot that gets waterlogged and becomes like a ball and chain on your feet. But, hey, they last longer! The caveat for the lighter shoes is that they don't last as long, but some are better than others. Personally, I like a trail runner type shoe with a goretex liner to keep minor wetness out (dew, creek crossings) when its dry and they aren't so heavy when waterlogged.

QuarterPounder
12-08-2010, 11:39

I'm single with no kids

Would need a lot more information to answer your question. Sanity is not something I know a lot about :).

Regarding the thru-hike; Go for it! Based on where you are in your life right now, it sounds like a great time to go. I hope you do it.

busch
12-08-2010, 12:41
20 degree bag in April? That suggestion has me a bit worried. I just picked up a 32degree bag and was planning on using a liner; I'm leaving in either March 1st or March 15th depending on the weather. I'm assuming that with a nice down will keep me alive on cold nights.

Aside from that, it's not too late to start planning, I'm gearing up for my 2011 NOBO, I have only been planning for 3 weeks and I don't have all my gear yet. Since you have your gear you're ahead of me. I'm in the same boat as you, single, no kids, cars are paid off, no time like the present. See you on the trail.

scope
12-08-2010, 14:18
20 degree bag in April? That suggestion has me a bit worried. I just picked up a 32degree bag and was planning on using a liner; I'm leaving in either March 1st or March 15th depending on the weather. I'm assuming that with a nice down will keep me alive on cold nights.

Well, the historical frost-free date is 4/15 in Atlanta - 2 hrs away from the mountains and AT - and the last freeze is often very close to that date, even though it can be 80 in Feb. Down jacket will help, maybe down booties, too. Thing is, it will still be March and you'll be hitting the high elevations in NC.

Luddite
12-08-2010, 14:31
20 degree bag in April? That suggestion has me a bit worried. I just picked up a 32degree bag and was planning on using a liner; I'm leaving in either March 1st or March 15th depending on the weather.

You may get a little cold but you'll live.

LoneRidgeRunner
12-08-2010, 15:17

I'm single with no kids

Hey Dude. Yes you're crazy..we ALL are.....But it's a good kinda crazy. I haven't yet done a thru hike but I will someday. As far as your pack goes..if you're comfortable with it ..go with it. I LOVE Gregory packs and I carry a Denali Pro. Just because a pack is big enough to carry a refrigerator that doesn't mean you have to put one it. Right? Look at it this way..with a larger pack if you decide you wanta stay on the trail for more than 3 or 4 days at a time before re-supplying you will have space for the food you need for 8 to 10 days. Just do it man! PS: if you start in February be prepared for some pretty cold weather in Georgia and North Carolina at 5000 + feet elevation that time of year with snow and lots of wind.

BrianLe
12-08-2010, 15:17
"The AT ain't the west. Gore Tex boots are perfect for out there."

Where in the west are goretex boots "perfect" ?? I live in western WA, and don't find them to be perfect at all. For climbing a real, true mountain then I want boots, but for that I might incline towards plastic climbing boots. For pretty much everything else I'd go with non-goretex trail runners.

In terms of a 32F vs. 20F bag: based on a late Feb start for me this year, I suggest that a 32F bag won't be enough for most people for a March 1st departure. I don't know if March 15th would be enough time beyond that to make it credible or not.

LoneRidgeRunner
12-08-2010, 15:25

Good Luck!

Sorry to hear about your Father. Just remember that when his time is up and you are on the trail he will out there with you. God bless you and your Dad.

LoneRidgeRunner
12-08-2010, 15:33
Where in the west are goretex boots "perfect" ?? I live in western WA, and don't find them to be perfect at all. For climbing a real, true mountain then I want boots, but for that I might incline towards plastic climbing boots. For pretty much everything else I'd go with non-goretex trail runners.

In terms of a 32F vs. 20F bag: based on a late Feb start for me this year, I suggest that a 32F bag won't be enough for most people for a March 1st departure. I don't know if March 15th would be enough time beyond that to make it credible or not.

I live in NC and have spent considerable time in the higher mountains here in March and there's no way I go there in March at 5000 + feet with a 32 degree bag, nor a 20 degree bag for that matter. I've seen it around 10 degrees to even 0 degrees here that time of year all too often. I carry a 0 bag in the mts of NC throughout the winters. You can always leave it partly unzipped for the 20 to 30 degree nights. The weather here is just too inconsistent, but we surely can't carry 3 different bags to match the weather here like we really need to. It can be anything from 0 to 50 or 60 degrees.

danger zone
12-08-2010, 15:35
That's about where by base weight was;around 45ish total with food and water. Yeah, I made it all the way. However, I did have some knee problems along the way. In fact, I still have problems to this day (I do believe this is from being pack heavy). Looking back I really wish I would have shaved off some lbs. Next time.....

scope
12-08-2010, 15:55

Sorry, bad choice of word. Instead, I should have said "in general". Back east, we would be in your "everything else" category.

The bag might depend on the make, like WM v. NF. A true 20 bag would probably get him through, albeit with some uncomfortable nights that can be accounted for in other ways.

kanga
12-08-2010, 16:49
i've had my water bottle freeze overnight inside my sleeping bag in april in georgia before. don't underestimate it.

QiWiz
12-08-2010, 17:47

I'm also struggling with what to bring for a sleep system. Currently going with a JRB Sierra Sniveler quilt, rated for 25-30 degrees, which will keep me warm (with other layers worn) to low 20's. Leaving 4/9 NOBO. I'd want something even warmer for a March start, based on everything I've heard.

busch
12-08-2010, 17:58
I'm also struggling with what to bring for a sleep system. Currently going with a JRB Sierra Sniveler quilt, rated for 25-30 degrees, which will keep me warm (with other layers worn) to low 20's. Leaving 4/9 NOBO. I'd want something even warmer for a March start, based on everything I've heard.

I agree, from everything I read about NOBO's in March last year was that they were better off with snowshoes and ski's than boots and a pack. Luckily I live in VA and we're going to get some pretty cold temperatures here in the next few days. That'll allow me to test out layering and see what will keep me alive. I'm hoping a Montbell UL down inner, along with a base layer and a liner will keep me fairly comfortable down into the teens. One of two things will happen; 1: I'll gain confidence in layering or 2: I'll get my ass kicked. I snagged the Phantom yesterday because I got an incredible deal that I didn't want to pass up, I'm hoping it'll serve me well in March.

writeronthestorm
12-08-2010, 21:50
Thanks for the input everyone. You guys have actually been a really great help, and so has this web site in general.

Regarding the trail runners, I don't know. At this point I will stick with my Asolo Fugitives. I mean they are a light boot, not a full leather upper or anything. They breathe well and have kept my feet dry in the past, even on the Olympic coast stepping in tide-pools and getting dumped on for days. I have some trail runners that I will keep on stand-by. I'll have my brother ship them to me if the boots don't work out, or I think I just need the change.

Ive decided to go with my 20 degree bag and just use heavy base-layers and perhaps a liner. When the weather warms up I'll switch to a 30 or 40 degree.

I've decided to go with a smaller pack. Sometime in the next month I will grab all my stuff and go to REI and see what I can fit my gear in to. Honestly I'm leaning toward the Flash 50, because it's only 150.0, and its a scant 2 pounds. Plus I have big dividends from REI this year, so I would really like to buy from there if at all possible.

The question I've been pondering today is weather I should check my pack with the airline or just ship it via Fedex or UPS. I'm thinking about reserving a spot with this Hikers Hostel joint Ive been reading about, and just shipping my pack there. That way I don't have to worry about baggage handlers trashing my pack. Anyone got any tips there?

M1 Thumb
12-08-2010, 21:55
If it were me, I would ship my pack/gear via UPS or Fed-Ex. It would probably make it through the airline baggage system intact and unmolested but why take the chance if you have a more reliable option available.

Good luck on your hike!

Old Wolf
12-08-2010, 22:10
I think its a great idea. I have hiked from W VA to New Jersy and parts of NY. I'm going to Georgia in March to start my hike. I'm going to attempt to do the bottom half. Your pack should weigh about 25% of your body weight. Don't worry about food. You can pick up food right off the trail throughout. There is an excellent supply information on here that will tell you where to get supplies. Plus the guide book helps too. I wouldn't worry about maps because you follow white blazes. I would bring a compass though just in case. But the maps are expensive and worthless. Its all mental. Make sure you have good trail shoes and I would bring some "new skin" for blisters. Wear two pairs of socks and keep your feet dry as much as possible. Don't wear cotton and good luck and God's speed. Maybe see you on the trail.

12-08-2010, 22:37
Your pack should weigh about 25% of your body weight. Don't worry about food.

HOLY _____!!! :eek:

No way am I carrying a 50lb+ pack that does not even contain food. LOL

Maybe a 25 lb pack, but no where near 25% of body weight. Maybe if you are a petite female, but not for a full grown man.

Cookerhiker
12-08-2010, 22:39
....I wouldn't worry about maps because you follow white blazes. I would bring a compass though just in case. But the maps are expensive and worthless. .....

I disagree. Maps are not "worthless" and will be of particular use if some emergency forces you to leave the trail. They don't take up much space, don't weigh much, and are well-worth taking.

I'd say a compass is more "worthless" than a map. Without a map, the Trail goes north, right? Just follow your compass. Wrong. The Trail twists and turns, often going south for little stretches.

Blissful
12-08-2010, 23:25
Its projected to be cold in the east this winter, so I'd plan for a cold March if you start then right through April.

Agree with Cookerhiker. You wouldn't say maps are useless if you were in New England this past summer with the drought and needed a good water source (not beaver-related) that my dear old map provided, thanks. :)

Hikerhead
12-08-2010, 23:26
I disagree. Maps are not "worthless" and will be of particular use if some emergency forces you to leave the trail. They don't take up much space, don't weigh much, and are well-worth taking.

I'd say a compass is more "worthless" than a map. Without a map, the Trail goes north, right? Just follow your compass. Wrong. The Trail twists and turns, often going south for little stretches.

I agree 100%. It's the AT, not the middle of Africa, it goes North and South.

Feral Bill
12-08-2010, 23:51
While you're shopping, try Mountain Gear (pretty big selection, mostly knowledgable people) and Mountain Goat (on Sprague, limited selection but some deals at times).

I now mostly use trail runners in this area and like them. They dry pretty fast.

Seething with envy,

FB

The_Saint
12-09-2010, 00:05
I decided to do the trail in 2009 in March, quit my job the next month and was on the trail April 15th. Just go do it, you won't regret it!

writeronthestorm
12-09-2010, 00:09
Feral Bill, you're from Spokane! Whats up brother?

Dude I tried Mountain Gear and wasn't very impressed, but I'll give it another shot. I've been meaning to check out that joint in Coeur D Alene, Tri-State Outfitters. Been there yet?

writeronthestorm
12-09-2010, 00:18
Also, Feral Bill about the trail runners. I'm sure you've hiked that Liberty Lake loop? Last Spring a beaver damned Liberty Creek and it flooded a large land area at the beginning of the trail turning the whole place into a marsh. I was hiking with my buddy Roby, he was wearing brand new New Balance trail runners, and they were soaked. He did the whole 7 miles with soaking wet feet, and I was dry as a bone. The whole time I kept thinking, "Thank God I wore my boots." I don't know, maybe that experience is why I'm so hesitant to wear them...

MotherShip
12-09-2010, 01:49
We are all nuts!!!! But go for it. I plan on trying it as well, because I'm not getting enough of the trail. As for boots, I'm not doing them. A tent is a must (don't like the little friends). Go for it. Don't over plan.

BrianLe
12-09-2010, 02:18
scope said:

"The bag might depend on the make, like WM v. NF. A true 20 bag would probably get him through, albeit with some uncomfortable nights that can be accounted for in other ways."

Agreed, this is exactly what I did this year --- 20F WM bag, but with substantial clothing to wear in side the bag (for me, a down parka, cap 1 long johns, down booties). Worked great, and this year got reasonably cold, multiple nights down into the teens for me with a late Feb start.

writeronthestorm wrote:

"I'm thinking about reserving a spot with this Hikers Hostel joint Ive been reading about, and just shipping my pack there. That way I don't have to worry about baggage handlers trashing my pack. Anyone got any tips there?"

I did exactly that, and it worked great, I'd go that route again; often airlines are charging for checked baggage anyway.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-09-2010, 20:20
go for it it is a great experience

Trailbender
12-10-2010, 11:39

Good Luck!

Doing a thru won't cure it either. I finished in August, and I still think about the AT all the time.

AmyJanette
12-12-2010, 08:29
I've been thinking of doing the AT for at least ten years, but every time I'd start planning, something would come up to ruin my plan. Two years ago, I put my dream on the back burner after a devastating loss, and I am finally back to the point where I'm dreaming about the AT again.

I just recently (like two weeks ago) came into some unexpected money, and the first thought that popped into my head was that now I can afford to hike the AT. Since then I've been reading trail journals, articles, looking at tents, sleeping bags, boots, etc, and not really knowing where to start. I haven't got any real experience with long distance hiking, so most of my gear for my day hikes would be way too heavy to bring. I'm basically starting from scratch and its a little overwhelming, especially since I decided so late for a 2011 April start. (If I can't pull things together, it'll be 2012...told the bf I'm hiking the AT before I get married...he's been very supportive ever since...lol) It doesn't seem to be enough time to get all my gear and plans and everything finalized!

Any suggestions about the order I should plan/organize/prepare? Just remember, I'm starting from absolute scratch - no gear, not in shape, haven't done any long distance hiking. Help!!!

Blue Jay
12-12-2010, 10:18
I've been thinking of doing the AT for at least ten years, but every time I'd start planning, something would come up to ruin my plan. Two years ago, I put my dream on the back burner after a devastating loss, and I am finally back to the point where I'm dreaming about the AT again.

I just recently (like two weeks ago) came into some unexpected money, and the first thought that popped into my head was that now I can afford to hike the AT. Since then I've been reading trail journals, articles, looking at tents, sleeping bags, boots, etc, and not really knowing where to start. I haven't got any real experience with long distance hiking, so most of my gear for my day hikes would be way too heavy to bring. I'm basically starting from scratch and its a little overwhelming, especially since I decided so late for a 2011 April start. (If I can't pull things together, it'll be 2012...told the bf I'm hiking the AT before I get married...he's been very supportive ever since...lol) It doesn't seem to be enough time to get all my gear and plans and everything finalized!

Any suggestions about the order I should plan/organize/prepare? Just remember, I'm starting from absolute scratch - no gear, not in shape, haven't done any long distance hiking. Help!!!

This is important, please stop worrying. Many, many people (including me) have started the trail in bad shape with crap gear and had completely wonderful times. Just show up with an open mind and you'll figure everything out almost immediately.

writeronthestorm
12-12-2010, 14:12
Originally Posted by AmyJanette

I'm not an expert or anything but I will tell you what I've been doing. First off I got an Amazon and picked up some books. Just finished "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" which i found very insightful. Gave me some idea about what I should expect. I also got "How to Hike the AT" by Michelle Ray. She offers all kinds of pointers on what gear to take and how to plan and train...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811735427/ref=oss_product
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935597191/ref=oss_product

So for me right now, I am basically outfitting and training while researching. I realized yesterday that I didnt need to drive out of town to a trail to train.

Basically what my days have looked like recently is this: Read AT book on breaks and lunch at work. Come home, throw a pack on and take a walk. After the walk I shop around for gear online.

I found these sites had some good deals
http://www.campsaver.com/
https://www.prolitegear.com/
http://www.campmor.com/

Anyways, I hope that helps.

Red Hat
12-12-2010, 14:41
Welcome to the Crazy Club... by the way, you should be warned that this is definitely an addiction. Once you set foot on that trail, you will never be able to leave for any length of time. You may even decide that you have to become a "triple crowner". (although I don't have that problem) There are days that you may think you "hate" the trail, but you realize that you really love it when you stop. It will keep pulling you back.

Oklahoma 98
12-12-2010, 15:16
You will be crazy if you don't do it!!!!

Tinker
12-12-2010, 15:32

I'm single with no kids

You are perfectly sane. It's the non hiking world that needs help. Spread the word. We're with ya!

hobbs
12-12-2010, 23:11
I live by the AT and I got caught by the bug too. I hike it as much as possible in different sections. So it wasn't weird when I told my family members I was going this spring. They were for it. So your nit nuts if this many people 2000 a yr try it. multiply that by how many years. Go for it and walk your own hike like me!

FORTIS
12-14-2010, 18:13
I say go for it! I just recently decided to go as well. I have zero gear, haven't hiked in almost 30 years, and I'm in the worst shape of my life. I guess I had better get busy. Seriously though, I'm a bit freaked out on what to do first :confused:
If I don't go now I fear life will once again trick me into forgetting how desperately I want and need to.

Cookerhiker
12-14-2010, 19:38
I say go for it! I just recently decided to go as well. I have zero gear, haven't hiked in almost 30 years, and I'm in the worst shape of my life. I guess I had better get busy. Seriously though, I'm a bit freaked out on what to do first :confused: ...

You can start looking at gear options over the next 2-3 months. Re. what to do first, I'd suggest beginning aerobic workouts, starting slow and building up your cardio stamina with the goal that the hike up the Approach Trail doesn't kill you.:) Do you want to know what that hike is like for someone out of shape? Read Bill Bryson!

If you have time beforehand, I suggest a trip to Big Bend and some hiking in the Chisos Mountains unless you have other hills with sufficient elevation closer to Austin.

FORTIS
12-14-2010, 19:55
Thanks for the great advice Cookerhiker. I have read Bryson's book...hilarious. I would like to avoid his description of the approach if at all possible :). Most of my training will have to take place here in Austin. I have a few training hills in mind but Austin is flat for the most part. My treadmill has a 12 degree incline :-?
I have started a gear list but I'm continually finding myself stuck between differing philosophies such as an alcohol stove or a canister stove, synthetic or wool, tent or tarp etc. But I am making progress. I just feel lucky to even have the opportunity to be honest.

Thanks again for the advice

swjohnsey
12-14-2010, 20:17
IMHO cardio is cardio. All I do is run and bike. Perfect weather down here to get in shape, no heat to deal with. Having no gear, you have a clean slate. Go light. Ebay is your friend.

The_Saint
12-14-2010, 20:57
Thanks for the great advice Cookerhiker. I have read Bryson's book...hilarious. I would like to avoid his description of the approach if at all possible :). Most of my training will have to take place here in Austin. I have a few training hills in mind but Austin is flat for the most part. My treadmill has a 12 degree incline :-?
I have started a gear list but I'm continually finding myself stuck between differing philosophies such as an alcohol stove or a canister stove, synthetic or wool, tent or tarp etc. But I am making progress. I just feel lucky to even have the opportunity to be honest.

While his book is humorous, it is almost entirely ficticious.

So Far
12-14-2010, 21:33
Earl Shaffer was the first of the crazies...SO ur good to go. Good Luck

Cookerhiker
12-14-2010, 21:51
While his book is humorous, it is almost entirely ficticious.

To clarify, while I do not believe A Walk in the Woods was "ficticious," I was not recommending Bryson's book in the same vein as those written by thruhikers or other 2,000 milers. There are many far better books to read about what thruhiking is all about.

Rather, I was solely citing his description of that first day when they hiked up the Approach Trail, a description which I do believe indeed very accurately portrays what that ascent is like for someone out of shape.

Cookerhiker
12-14-2010, 21:53
IMHO cardio is cardio. All I do is run and bike. Perfect weather down here to get in shape, no heat to deal with. Having no gear, you have a clean slate. Go light. Ebay is your friend.

I agree and AWOL is a good example. Living in Florida, he didn't have hills but got his cardio exercise and was in great shape when he hit the Trail.

jersey joe
12-14-2010, 22:15
This is important, please stop worrying. Many, many people (including me) have started the trail in bad shape with crap gear and had completely wonderful times. Just show up with an open mind and you'll figure everything out almost immediately.
Good advice. It really isn't that hard to plan/figure out, no need to worry so much. I would suggest you do get some gear and go out for a few long weekends before you commit to a thru hike. You might find that you just don't like being out there so much after a couple 3 day weekends.

Half Note
12-15-2010, 00:04

I recommend hitting up either Pedernales or Lost Pines to do some hiking. I haven't gone to Lost Pines yet (plan to this weekend though) but I hear there is more elevation than anywhere else and it's about an hour drive for us. You won't get any weird looks either carrying a thirty pound pack like you would on Town Lake :)
If you know of any hills in town though, definitely let me know!

FORTIS
12-15-2010, 15:07
Half Note, I use to train with a running group called "Rogue Running." For hill training we would run up Mount Bonnell, down the other side and back up before returning back to the Riverside RunTex. Just a thought.

Thanks for the encouragement and great advice everyone. Now if someone will just tell me what gear to buy :) I'm joking of course...I know that is part of the overall experience.

form
12-15-2010, 15:33
i must be crazy also cause i'm itching to go mar or apr,i'm flat hiking 5 mile with a 31 lb bench vice in my jansport external frame pack i bought on ebay for 35,wish me luck.attroll

AmyJanette
12-17-2010, 18:51
Okay, so i took some very good advice, bought a bunch of AT books (i already had some from when i was planning my hike a few years ago) and in the few short days since I was last here, I have managed to order almost all the big items I'll need.

I was really nervous about ordering a pack...I figure the one I ordered is too big (but there are no outfitters around here to try them on, and I'm not driving to the city in this crazy snow we've been having in midwestern Ontario!!!). I went with a women's golite pinnacle...its huge, but the sales person assured me that with the compression straps it wouldn't be a problem, and the weight is less than others with less volume. Has anyone else tried the Pinnacle? (LOL...not to hijack and turn this into a gear thread...:p )

AmyJanette
12-23-2010, 08:29
lol...never mind...I'll do a search...:p

Writeronthestorm, how is your planning coming along?

writeronthestorm
12-23-2010, 17:15
Planning is moving right along. I'm thinking that after the holidays I'll really ramp it up as I'm sooo busy at the moment.

I talked to my boss and requested a 6 month leave of absence. I get the feeling that he's not taking me seriously. He looked at me like I was a lunatic and told me to ask him again after the holidays.

Gear-wise I have all the big stuff except for a pack. I've decided on which one to buy, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm still looking for the right camera. I'm finding that they just don't make cameras anymore that take regular batteries.

I changed my plans and decided to leave the end of March instead of April 1st. Planning on flying in to GA March 27 and staying at the Hiker Hostel. I'll probably buy my plane ticket within the next couple of weeks.

I started training already but I'm worried that I'm overdoing it. I've been having some knee pain thats really been bothering me so I decided to take a week off from my routine.

Otherwise things are going good. I'm just so excited I can barely contain myself. I am eating, sleeping, breathing the AT right now.

Cookerhiker
12-23-2010, 17:25
..... I'm still looking for the right camera. I'm finding that they just don't make cameras anymore that take regular batteries.....

Really? I only bought my latest camera a year ago (Canon Power Shot) and it takes 2 Double A batteries. I finally switched to lithium batteries and find the extra $$$ worthwhile; they last noticably longer. But they're still Double A size.

fehchet
12-23-2010, 18:32
Norcent Camera take AA batteries. They make a great 10mp camera that is less than 8 ounces. Good prices too. Just saying.

emerald
12-23-2010, 20:34
Am I crazy, or could I pull this thing off? I mean, I keep thinking, why not just do it, ya know?

You are crazy. You might succeed, but it takes more commitment than most armchair hikers realize.

I finally switched to lithium batteries and find the extra $$$ worthwhile; they last noticeably longer.

Yes, but are they recyclable? I'm economical enough to care what's most cost effective, but if it's not the greenest option, I give people a screen-full, especially those who need to get busy and make greener products.

Cookerhiker
12-23-2010, 20:46
...Yes, but are they recyclable? I'm economical enough to care what's most cost effective, but if it's not the greenest option, I give people a screen-full, especially those who need to get busy and make greener products.

The non-profit food co-op (http://www.goodfoods.coop/) I belong to accepts batteries for recycling. Not sure what they do with them. However, I checked with Green America (http://www.greenamerica.org) and found this link (http://www.batteryrecycling.com/).

Now about those fuel canisters....

emerald
12-23-2010, 20:56
Sometimes, it's not the people who are making the products who are the problem, but it does help when they feel a sense of responsibility and find they have an incentive to help themselves.

AmyJanette
12-24-2010, 11:43
I talked to my boss and requested a 6 month leave of absence. I get the feeling that he's not taking me seriously. He looked at me like I was a lunatic and told me to ask him again after the holidays.

Yeah, that's the part I'm dreading the most...i have TWO bosses, and I'm just hoping they won't force me to quit, cause I love both my jobs. I'll likely get the 'lunatic' look too, but what can ya do? I've been going to do this for years, and now just seems the right time: after college and university, and before I get married and start having kids. Its not perfect job-wise, but every other part of it has aligned perfectly. Even the bf understands my need to do this for myself - he said to go for it cause I need to do it for me after taking care of people for years without doing any holidays or anything for myself.

So back to gear talk...lol...I need a camera too...i have a small digital camera that is passable, but this is something I want to remember a long time and I want something a little better. My mom has a tiny Nikon Coolpix L2 that takes awesome pics...anyone used one of those?

And as for a pack, it was the piece I was most nervous about, and I've ordered my Pinnacle but then I realized it was frameless so I may return it and get one that has an internal frame. People say its okay up to 30 lbs but above that its really uncomfortable. And while I don't plan on having more than 25 lbs in my pack, I won't know till I get all my gear that I've ordered and do a weigh in.

In any case, I am super excited now too! I've spent a lot of time and money, convinced my mother and boyfriend I'll be safe enough, and I'm just disappointed I'll have to wait till April before I can leave!!

George
12-27-2010, 19:56
why wait till april if your lease is up in feb get going in march, the sooner you leave the less you have to hear about it

writeronthestorm
12-27-2010, 20:24
Because George I'll need the time to raise the funds... But I have upped my date to March 28 so that's a few days earlier than I originally planned.

rapchizzle
12-28-2010, 11:07
I'm in the same boat. 22, single, minimal bills and no overwhelming commitments. I say to go for it if you've got the money. I'm waiting till 2012 so I can be 100% satisfied with my funds.

jerseydave
01-11-2011, 20:19
yes, you're crazy. welcome to the club.

Wish I were crazy..... oh well, maybe someday.

Enjoy your lack of sanity!

Speakeasy TN
01-13-2011, 17:49
Yeah, that's the part I'm dreading the most...i have TWO bosses, and I'm just hoping they won't force me to quit, cause I love both my jobs. I'll likely get the 'lunatic' look too, but what can ya do? I've been going to do this for years, and now just seems the right time: after college and university, and before I get married and start having kids. Its not perfect job-wise, but every other part of it has aligned perfectly. Even the bf understands my need to do this for myself - he said to go for it cause I need to do it for me after taking care of people for years without doing any holidays or anything for myself.

So back to gear talk...lol...I need a camera too...i have a small digital camera that is passable, but this is something I want to remember a long time and I want something a little better. My mom has a tiny Nikon Coolpix L2 that takes awesome pics...anyone used one of those?

And as for a pack, it was the piece I was most nervous about, and I've ordered my Pinnacle but then I realized it was frameless so I may return it and get one that has an internal frame. People say its okay up to 30 lbs but above that its really uncomfortable. And while I don't plan on having more than 25 lbs in my pack, I won't know till I get all my gear that I've ordered and do a weigh in.

In any case, I am super excited now too! I've spent a lot of time and money, convinced my mother and boyfriend I'll be safe enough, and I'm just disappointed I'll have to wait till April before I can leave!!

Don't psych yourself out. I went to our corporate office to turn in my notice and was pretty nervous. It's hard to explain an open ended leave request like this! All I got was " That sounds like a blast! See ya when you get back!" Last day at work 2-24....... on Trail 3-20.

Tevo
01-28-2011, 16:42
Hey, nice to know I'm not alone! I did the same thing a month ago and am due to Springer March 2nd. Longest hike I've done is a 30 mile weekender to date, so this just seems nuts. Somehow that what makes it seem so right.

I read "Beyond Backpacking" and have been obsessing about UL stuff since. I'm watching my $ too. I'm pretty much a novice, but I figured it's best to spend money on a good sleeping bag (found WM Alpinelite on Dallas Craigslist), backpack (splurged on a ULA Circuit), and Trail running shoes (still looking). Ray Jardine has a do it yourself "Tarp Kit" for $60. Seems like a good deal, but my nonexistent sewing skills might prove otherwise. I'm also heading to get some ripstop nylon and try my hand at a lightweight wind shirt & pants to cut cold March air. I figure the pair will cost $20, again assuming one pant leg doesn't end up a foot higher than the other. :)

Basically, I believe where there's a will there's a way.

Sassafras Lass
02-01-2011, 14:13
I'm still looking for the right camera. I'm finding that they just don't make cameras anymore that take regular batteries.

Picked up the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LZ10 (discontinued), full manual controls, about 5 oz. incl. batteries, and full manual controls with a Leica lens - just what I wanted! (though the lens isn't very fast), around $180. I believe some other cameras in the LUMIX line take AA batteries - did a search at dpreview, here's what I came up with (some discontinued - re: cheaper - less than 12 oz., takes AA/AAA batteries, full manual controls, built-in flash, takes SD card):

* Most every Canon Powershot known to man - SX series, A540-A720
* Nikon Coolpix P5000 (I've got a P90 and I've been decently pleased with it, would be bringing it for my thru if it didn't have a proprietary battery)
* Nikon Coolpix P50
* Fuji FinePix S2500HD
* Fuji FinePix S1800
* Fuji FinePix S1600
* Fuji FinePix S1000fd
* HP Photosmart 935
* Kodak DX6440
* Kodak EasyShare Z8612 IS
* Kodak EasyShare Z812 IS
* Kodak EasyShare Z740
* Kodak EasyShare Z700
* Kodak EasyShare Z650
* Kodak EasyShare C875
* Kyocera Finecam M410R

I changed my plans and decided to leave the end of March instead of April 1st. Planning on flying in to GA March 27 and staying at the Hiker Hostel. I'll probably buy my plane ticket within the next couple of weeks.

We're driving down the 26th and doing the approach trail the 27th - looking forward to seeing you out there! :)

Snospotter
02-01-2011, 18:20
I was thinkin 2012 also, but, self employed, economy still stinks, why not 2011? still got 10 wks. to APRIL 15,,, got all the stuff,,packs still good , big Jansport, made in USA,1984, get some good food good rain gear, good mindset,, Why not,? Give it my best shot! Wadsworth, OHIO, not the first, not the last

skooch
02-02-2011, 20:59
My bug is so bad I decided I wanted to go only a few months ago. I've only hiked on Kuai, Hawaii (tough trail) and haven't camped since I was a kid with my dad and brothers. My boss is supportive but can't spare me for 6mos but agreed to 3mos. No thru for me but the bug is bad enough to send me out there anyway. I have no gear yet, am overweight (running again), have no idea how far I'll get or how I'll get home. Most of the people I talk to think I am nuts. They can't imagine the freedom this challenge allows. Some say I'll get killed or I need to bring a gun. I say they are nuts. Let's go!