PDA

View Full Version : Surplus Store Gear Bargain Shopping Fun

Iceaxe
12-07-2010, 17:05
Well I just made the commitment to use a quilt instead of a sleeping bag for my upcoming AT hike. I bought the quilt from a reputable ultralight gear manufacturer cause I am way to lame at sewing to make more than a pair of mittens for myself. (My MYOG Mittens actually came out okay.. after making two left hands by mistake! Im a knucklehead!)
But the quilt strategy I m adopting made me start thinking about either making a down hood or otherwise beefing up my skull insulation.. grow dreadlocks?!! :-?
I happened to wander in to the local Military Surplus store to buy some P.T. shorts for the hike.
In the bargain bin were all these "orphaned" down hoods from various jackets they had sold in the past year.
Anyhow for 9 bucks I now have a comfy wrap around down hood to complete my quilt system! All I need to do is sew a seam around the snaps(used to attach to the jacket) and cut em off (I am a total gram weenie).
I also managed to score an Army surplus "Skeeta" Tent. I am gonna cut out a portion of the No-see-um mesh to use as a bug bivy under my tarp for later on the AT when it becomes bug season. I will just sew a loop on it so I can suspend it from my trekking pole or a branch or just drape it over my umbrella.
It's always fun to score useful gear second hand from these places and at bargain prices.
Amongst all the ridiculously heavy junk there can be some nuggets of ultra light gear in the makings on the cheap!
What great deals has anyone else found at the local bargain store or Military surplus place?:D