PDA

View Full Version : Wherever you are, there is beauty to be had

Jeepocachers
12-07-2010, 17:32
Just a thought…
I always spend a little part of my day dreaming of a better place to live than the ugly, contaminated place that I currently live in Western Ky. There are very little trails, no mountains or like-minded people here in this area, and the trails we do have are by far no match for love I have for the southern Appalachians. But a thought came to me today when I witnessed something spectacular --in my mind anyway. I was sitting in my office, which sits about 100 feet from the Ohio River when something caught my eye out the window. I hurried out the door to see this enormous Bald Eagle with a wingspan visibly larger than my own outstretched arms. He flew back and forth right in front of me, hovering over the river hunting his next meal. Out of nowhere, some kind of duck looking bird flew in too close to him, and he aggressively chased it off. I almost thought he was going to whop it right out of the sky with his wings. The duck disappeared into the tree line, and seconds later, the Eagle swooped back down to the water and snatched out a fish. At certain angles he was silhouetted in the low lying sun shining over the river, and it was simply beautiful. The whole incident just made me think that even though I currently live in a very undesirable place right now, there’s always beauty to be found. You just have to be looking for it.
Come to think if it, I haven't yet seen an Eagle while out hiking in the southern Apps. Anyone know of a good place for viewing?

CinciJP
12-08-2010, 18:12
The whole incident just made me think that even though I currently live in a very undesirable place right now, there’s always beauty to be found. You just have to be looking for it.

I have to second this - attitude is everything. If you look for bad, you'll find it. If you look for good, you'll find it.