PDA

View Full Version : First aid kits

-Ghost-
12-07-2010, 21:27
What type of first aid kits would you guys recommend putting together for a thru hike? I checked out the one that is listed in the "Prep articles" section but it seems a bit iffy? Razor blades seem unnecessary and no mole-skin type thing for blister treatment etc?

Any info would be good. And i would assume putting this in a small waterproof sack or just a plastic baggie would probably be the best idea?

Thanks!

Rocket Jones
12-07-2010, 21:44
In mine, considered way overkill by many:

Bandages - 3 4x4, 2 butterfly, 1 large and 1 small bandaid
Alcohol wipes
Antibiotic cream
Burn Gel
Benadryl (for allergic reactions) - 4
Immodium - 4
Tylenol - 4
Tylenol PM - 4
Antacids - 6
Cough Drops - 2
Daily meds & a multivitamin (1 per day, plus 1 "just in case")

Strip of moleskin
Syringe (wound irrigation)
Tweezers
Tick Key
Laminated Card with my blood type, drug allergies, emergency contact info, etc.

All of the above, in small prescription-sized ziplocs and a larger one to carry it all, weighs in at right about 6 oz.

Things like duct tape and a bandana can serve double duty for first aid too.

Many people carry Ibuprofen (vitamin "I"), but I'm not allowed to take it because of other meds I take. Check with your doctor if you take daily prescriptions.

think0075
12-07-2010, 21:51
all you need is a cell phone, duct tape, a knife or pair of scissors, and some tylenol pm to help you sleep anything else and your probably screwed anyways

swjohnsey
12-07-2010, 22:12
all you need is a cell phone, duct tape, a knife or pair of scissors, and some tylenol pm to help you sleep anything else and your probably screwed anyways

I'm with him except I prefer generic ibuprofen and maybe some generic Neosporin to deal with scrapes and such.

Don H
12-07-2010, 22:22
1 - Safety pin to drain blisters.
6 - Bandaids for minor cuts and scrapes
3' - Leukotape for hot spots. It's the only tape I've found that will stay on my feet.
1 - Neosporin because an infection is no fun on the trail.
Tylenol PM and Motrin
3 - Bayer aspirin just in case someone starts having chest pains!

The heaviest and most important first aid item I carry is my brain, it full of first aid knowledge. Take a first aid class, it's well worth the effort.

couscous
12-07-2010, 22:38
My kit is very similar to Rocket Jones'. The two most common things other hikers ask me for are loperamide/Immodium & Vitamin I.. both provide a lot of relief in a few grams.

Spokes
12-07-2010, 22:43
- antibiotic lotion
- bandages (8)
- 3 X3 gauze pads (3)
- Blister treatment
- Meds and vitamins
- Small bottle tincture of iodine or hydrogen peroxide
- Ibruprofen
- Astagalus (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/astragalus-000223.htm)
- benadryl (learned that lesson after a spider bite caused my eye to swell shut)
- Large safety pin (1)
- Small tweezers if your knife doesn't have one

All fit's nicely inside a ziplock freezer bag

chiefiepoo
12-07-2010, 22:52

I can understand and agree with the basic kit here but I'd add a bandanna and most times you'll be fine.
Being a retired paramedic and all, I go crazy and drag along the following in a one quart zip lok;

3 sterile and 3 unsterile 4x4's
partial roll 1/2 inch tape
1 roll 3" kling bandage
1 roll 6" kling bandage
4" ace bandage
2 Dr schols blister packs
2 spenco 2nd skin blister pads
4 sq in moleskin
1 5x9" abd pad
2 telfa pads (non stick)
6 each, sm md lg bandaids
4 latex finger protectors
1 pr disposable gloves
4 tabs each, immodium, tylenol, tylenolPM, aspirin, benadryl
4 alcohol wipes
2 betadine swabs
1 tube anti body cream
1 tube orabase (relieves pain a lot of other places)
small vial of peroxide

Used all but the abdominal pad on myself or others along the trail.
Tweezers and scissors on the Swiss Army knife, duct tape wrapped around the Nalgene bottle and if needed, needle and thread in my repair locker.

Bronk
12-08-2010, 04:13
Like everything else I started with too much and downsized...at the end I had some alcohol pads, a few bandaids, some baby powder (for chafing) some pain reliever and that was it.

4shot
12-08-2010, 10:57
My kit is very similar to Rocket Jones'. The two most common things other hikers ask me for are loperamide/Immodium & Vitamin I.. both provide a lot of relief in a few grams.

although I liked alleve better than ibuprofen but that is for each individual to decide. The immodium is great (I would say essential) and most people will deal with stomach issues at some point or other. As far as bandages/moleskin/etc. I found that carrying a roll of gauze with a small roll of medical tape (and a small pair of scissors)would give me blister and hot spot relief that would stay on longer and promote faster healing as well. Neosporin is critical. A small travel size bottle of medicated skin lotion was nice...in the heat especially I would get serious skin abrasion on my hips from the hip belt and this provided some relief. Don't be afraid to overdo your first aid kit initially as it isn't all that much weight.The hiker boxes are a great way to either delete or add items as you get more comfortable in what your kit should look like.

Spokes
12-08-2010, 12:53
Like everything else I started with too much and downsized...at the end I had some alcohol pads, a few bandaids, some baby powder (for chafing) some pain reliever and that was it.

So true Bronk. I ended up adding Mercurochrome to my kit since I had an infected cut on my knee. It was such a wet year I couldn't keep it clean or dry. So, I ended up getting antibiotics for it at the hospital in Gorham, NH. Doctor said I showed up just in time..... YIKES!!!

Lesson learned- aggressively treat cuts you get right from the start no matter how small.

Luddite
12-08-2010, 12:57
I just bring duct tape, tylenol, and a couple of bandaids.

Does baby powder work?

chiefiepoo
12-08-2010, 13:40
So true Bronk. I ended up adding Mercurochrome to my kit since I had an infected cut on my knee. It was such a wet year I couldn't keep it clean or dry. So, I ended up getting antibiotics for it at the hospital in Gorham, NH. Doctor said I showed up just in time..... YIKES!!!

Lesson learned- aggressively treat cuts you get right from the start no matter how small.

Excellent lesson to pass on. At best, inflammation from an injury causes minor pain and delays healing. Worst case you can check out. I tore my forearm open on a hook/ eye latch in of all places a $hit house door in the Glacier back country. Alcohol swab, betadine scrub and neosporin and 4x4's all came in handy.

-Ghost-
12-08-2010, 14:36
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2010, 14:55
Yea I dump the bandaids after a motorcycle accident, I wound up with a smashed hand and they said it was a waste of time for such deep cuts. I add moleskin and a blood clot pack, and diarrea meds. Fairly light.

4shot
12-08-2010, 15:05
I just bring duct tape, tylenol, and a couple of bandaids.

Does baby powder work?

strongly recommend an antibiotic ointment in your kit along with a few alcohol pads to clean a wound, blister or cut. Even a small blister or scratch can get infected in the trail environment.Skin/wound infections got 2 people off the trail that I am aware of. Don't know about the baby powder. Good luck on your hike.

Bronk
12-09-2010, 03:04
Does baby powder work?

YES. My inner thighs were raw by the time I reached Neels Gap. Some people were using petroleum jelly but I just didn't want to be all gooey and sticky...so I bought a small container of baby powder and applied it liberally every nite before I went to bed...the chafing healed very quickly and every time I started feeling it come back I'd start using the powder again.

garlic08
12-09-2010, 10:08
My approach is a minimalist one. I just carry what I've used in the last 30-some years. My kit weighs a couple of ounces in a baggie. The most important and most-used item in there is a razor blade (removing cactus spines and splinters). I also keep my tape, tweezers, needle and thread, and nail clippers in there. I never need meds normally so I don't carry any. I don't get blisters, so no blister care. If you're prone to infections, rashes, headaches, diarrhea, nausea, blisters, or whatever, or if you're not sure if you are or not, then carry stuff for those conditions. Or if you're in responsible charge of a group that may not be totally prepared, that's a different situation too.

BAG "o" TRICKS
12-09-2010, 10:41
Sterri strips and super glue come in mighty handy to close any lacerations / big wounds. One of these items sure helped out the male half of the Canadian Geese thru-hikers this past year. Also used super glue gel on shoes/boots.

BAG "o" TRICKS
12-09-2010, 10:53
YES. My inner thighs were raw by the time I reached Neels Gap. Some people were using petroleum jelly but I just didn't want to be all gooey and sticky...so I bought a small container of baby powder and applied it liberally every nite before I went to bed...the chafing healed very quickly and every time I started feeling it come back I'd start using the powder again.

Gold Bond Triple Action Medicated Foot Powder.., works great, throw a little down the shorts and:eek: instant party in your pants:banana. Body Glide or compression type boxer shorts help with chafe, also diaper rash ointment works well, only use petroleum jelly as a last resort.

lonewolftrekker
12-10-2010, 13:06
Krazy glue to sooch cuts or i just let them bleed out.

duct tape for blisters works way better than moleskin.

Odd Man Out
12-10-2010, 16:31
... I also keep my tape, tweezers, needle and thread, and nail clippers in there...

+1 on the nail clippers. This is not a luxury item for me. I am very prone to infections around my toenails. I have to keep them trimmed just right. If they are too long or too short, I know I am in for trouble.

Pony
12-11-2010, 16:19
Krazy glue to sooch cuts or i just let them bleed out.

duct tape for blisters works way better than moleskin.

Trust this guys advice, if anyone knows how to mend themselves after a fall it would be him. He's called Stumblewolf for a reason you know. :D

Low Step
12-12-2010, 12:22
Here's what I used:

Ibuprofen
1 band aid
pepto bismol pills

If it was a nobo hike, I might've also prepared myself for ticks

If you happen to need something else while hiking, go into town. It's not too far away.

CinciJP
12-20-2010, 09:06

Another option I have but haven't tried yet is Body Glide.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodyglide-Skin-Formula-1-3-oz/dp/B0007ZKIPU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292850376&sr=8-2

TheChop
12-20-2010, 09:16
Gold Bond Triple Action Medicated Foot Powder.., works great, throw a little down the shorts and:eek: instant party in your pants:banana. Body Glide or compression type boxer shorts help with chafe, also diaper rash ointment works well, only use petroleum jelly as a last resort.

My drama troop discovered this stuff in high school. We'd all powder up before the show when you'd get sweaty crotch from being on stage. It got so bad that there were two little piles of Gold Bond in every bathroom stall from where it'd fall out the bottom of boxers.

Cloth tape is the way to go for blister protection. I've worn the same patch of it for days and it leaves very little residue. Blister pads and moleskin are junk for hiking I've found.