PDA

View Full Version : Army Issue 4 piece sleep system

Copper Tail
12-08-2010, 09:57
Has anyone used one of these on the trail? I am planning a late January departure NOBO. I acquired this bag at a great price (free!) Although they cost around $800 and change, no smiley face yet though. The bag will keep you warm down to -40 if used all together. The downside of that is the whopping 7.5 lbs!

The good part is since it's a layering system, I can shed a lot of weight and send part of the bag home as soon as the weather starts to warm up.

My other bag is a 30 degree bag with a silk liner. I've used it in winter conditions around where I live, sleeping with my parka and clothes and was okay down into the low teens. But, I was no where the elevation that I will run into on the trail.

I'm thinking if I go with the sleep system, I can offset some of the weight by not taking my heavier parka although that will mean getting into the bag pretty quick after I finish the day.

I would appreciate some input/advice not only from people with experience with this particular bag, but also people who have started an early hike as I am planning or have just spent time camping in the GA/NC Mountains in the dead of winter.

Anyone interested in the specs on the sleep system..here is a link to a used one I found online.

http://www.militarysurplusdepot.com/sleep_system_4_piece_reissue.html

mister krabs
12-08-2010, 10:10
For that kind of money you can get a nice down bag and still be lighter than just part of that bag.

nitewalker
12-08-2010, 10:20
the only issue i see would be bulk if you can get over the total weight. it could take up half your backpack. check and see how much it compresses that will tell you if you can carry it in your pack of choice..

Copper Tail
12-08-2010, 10:59
For that kind of money you can get a nice down bag and still be lighter than just part of that bag.

Perhaps you overlooked it...it didn't cost me anything. It was donated to me by a buddy who returned from Afghanistan. He gave it to me for looking after his place while he was gone...he didn't need to, but I was grateful of the gesture. But, yes, if I were going to spend that kind of money on a bag, I have found probably better light weight solutions.

the only issue i see would be bulk if you can get over the total weight. it could take up half your backpack. check and see how much it compresses that will tell you if you can carry it in your pack of choice..

I forgot to mention that. It comes with a great compression bag. It actually compresses to the size of my 30 degree bag!

I can take away the heavier liner that is rated for -30 and use the -10 layer and 30 degree layer..I don't know about the high country along the trail in the winter though..average or extreme low temps for the winter.

mister krabs
12-08-2010, 11:08
Perhaps you overlooked it...it didn't cost me anything. It was donated to me by a buddy who returned from Afghanistan. He gave it to me for looking after his place while he was gone...he didn't need to, but I was grateful of the gesture. But, yes, if I were going to spend that kind of money on a bag, I have found probably better light weight solutions.

I forgot to mention that. It comes with a great compression bag. It actually compresses to the size of my 30 degree bag!

I can take away the heavier liner that is rated for -30 and use the -10 layer and 30 degree layer..I don't know about the high country along the trail in the winter though..average or extreme low temps for the winter.

I did overlook it, mea culpa.

Copper Tail
12-08-2010, 11:23
I did overlook it, mea culpa.

De nada! I always enjoy meeting people who like latin!

I see you are from Georgia too. Have you been up on the trail in winter?

YohonPetro
12-08-2010, 12:07
I was given one by a friend also. It may be an older version... but it is ridiculously heavy and bulky, even with the compression bag. Totally compressed it was still ~25 or 30L and weighed ~8lbs. I hefted it and grew very impressed with our soldiers lugging these things around!
I have a (under $100) synthetic +25 bag that is 1/4 the size and weight.

Copper Tail
12-08-2010, 12:43
I was given one by a friend also. It may be an older version... but it is ridiculously heavy and bulky, even with the compression bag. Totally compressed it was still ~25 or 30L and weighed ~8lbs. I hefted it and grew very impressed with our soldiers lugging these things around!
I have a (under $100) synthetic +25 bag that is 1/4 the size and weight.

Well, sounds like they've shaved a mere 1/2 lb between the version you have and mine. I'm with you though. I am very impressed that our soldiers endure carrying all the gear that they do.."full battle rattle" as my buddy calls it is 80+ lbs!

My synthetic +30 degree bag with the liner is more than adequate for me in 3 season hiking, but my main concern is winter hiking at 4000-6000 feet. I believe I can drop the one -30 layer bag and be fine. That layer alone will shed 3 lbs almost. I guess I need to drive up to the smokies and visit Clingman's Dome and try the variations.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2010, 13:34
From what I've seen:

COMPRESSION SACK - 13.5oz
BIVI - 2lb 3oz
PATROL (GREEN) BAG 2lb 7oz (30 to 50°F rated)
INTERMEDIATE (BLACK) BAG 4lb 1.5oz (-10 to 30°F rated)
TOTAL 9lb 9oz
COST (to U.S. gov) $800

For comparison to civilian gear
WM Bison GWS (4lb 10oz, -40° rated)
COST $835

I always see this when looking at ads for these, "When all 3 components are used together the system is rated to provide 4 hours sleep at -40°F"

After 4 hours I'm wondering exactly what happens :confused: I'm guessing the soldiers don't wake up after 4 hours because they're overheated. :-? And does that 4 hour spec carry over to the other temperature ratings of the individual component bags? Just wondering. :confused:

They may cost the gov. $800 initially, but they are only worth about $150 or so (typical street prices). Durable as hell? Probably. Heavy as hell? Hell yes. And I suspect soldiers are not only expected to endure carrying it, but also endure a bit less warmth in between fire fights than us civilians who want to stay toasty all night in our bags - and not bitch about it. ;)

Copper Tail
12-08-2010, 14:33
From what I've seen:

COMPRESSION SACK - 13.5oz
BIVI - 2lb 3oz
PATROL (GREEN) BAG 2lb 7oz (30 to 50°F rated)
INTERMEDIATE (BLACK) BAG 4lb 1.5oz (-10 to 30°F rated)
TOTAL 9lb 9oz
COST (to U.S. gov) $800

For comparison to civilian gear
WM Bison GWS (4lb 10oz, -40° rated)
COST $835

I always see this when looking at ads for these, "When all 3 components are used together the system is rated to provide 4 hours sleep at -40°F"

After 4 hours I'm wondering exactly what happens :confused: I'm guessing the soldiers don't wake up after 4 hours because they're overheated. :-? And does that 4 hour spec carry over to the other temperature ratings of the individual component bags? Just wondering. :confused:

They may cost the gov. $800 initially, but they are only worth about $150 or so (typical street prices). Durable as hell? Probably. Heavy as hell? Hell yes. And I suspect soldiers are not only expected to endure carrying it, but also endure a bit less warmth in between fire fights than us civilians who want to stay toasty all night in our bags - and not bitch about it. ;)

I haven't broken the individual components down and weighed them yet, but everything together in the compression sack weights in at approx. 7.5 lbs. I may have the latest and greatest generation...I don't know, but it isn't like the one on that link I posted. It has the more modern digi-camo pattern.

I'm going to experiment tonight with just the -10/+30 degree layer..temps around here at night are currently in the mid - upper teens. See if I can strip down to just my lightweight long underwear and be comfortable.

And hell yeah! They are overpriced..they have to be. I mean everybody has heard of the $400 dollar toilet lids they buy.:D

300winmag
12-08-2010, 17:54
1.Try to avoid overcompression of synthetics.

2.Run your bags through a big laundromat drier on low to medium heat (depending on the drier temp) for 20 mins. to fluff them and relax compressed insulating fibers.

3. Hang or lay the bags under beds for storage. As I'm sure you know, never store compressed.

4. If you have a 30 deg. down bag use it for your inner bag. Body moisture will migrate out to the synthetic layer, which can handle it better than down.

skinewmexico
12-08-2010, 18:47
If your current bag and extra clothes is working for you to the low teens now, I'd add a 7 oz TiGoat bivy and call it good.

Oogie Boogie
12-18-2010, 19:13
I dunno, people seem to be comparing the Bison bag and the military system, but they're kind of leaving out the fact that that isn't just the bag, but the compression sack and a bivi as well in the cost and weight calculations. That's not really a fair comparison. Add in a comparable compression sack, a nearly as durable bivi, and the fact that you can use that sleeping system in warmer weather as well, and I don't think you're going to beat it for the price, durability, or versatility. It's built for fighting a war with under changing conditions and extended periods. The Bison is good when it's COLD. What about when it isn't?

And one other question: Seriously, I know there are some folks who REALLY feel like they need to try and best mother nature when she's in a bad mood, but what about the rest of us who aren't really planning to be out in -40º weather? If it gets that bad out, I'm heading for shelter, and I wouldn't go anywhere near any place that gets to -40º without having a map of shelter locations. -30º is plenty cold enough for me, and the military bag system will handle that and anything warmer quite nicely.

$.02

swjohnsey
12-18-2010, 20:17
The good about military gear is that it is durable. The bad is that it is heavy. I have the system. The bivy weighs almost as much as my tent (Seedhouse I SL). The bivy is one of the few you will find that is all Goretex. I can't imagine you would ever need both bags on the AT.

SmokeEater
12-18-2010, 21:36
Im a section hiker and I used my summer bag(green) for the first 172.8 miles of the trail. I really liked it. It kept me very warm. Note I am a hot sleeper. Only real complaint I guess would be the weight.Very durable and washes great. I didnt use the compression bag i just stuffed it in the bottom of my bag. I switched to a very light down just because I like to go super light now. U cant beat free! Good luck on ur hike.

skinewmexico
12-18-2010, 22:33
I have a buddy with a gore-tex bivy, and it's amazing how much water is in it every morning.

ec.hiker
12-18-2010, 22:48
For free? He got the bag for free....

g8trh8tr
12-18-2010, 22:54
I am in the military and have this sleeping system. I would never carry the complete system on the trail as it is WAY to heavy/bulky. Having said that, the goretex bivy is worth carrying and can be used over a down bag for weatherproofing or with just a light blanket/poncho liner in warmer weather. Hope that helps.

leaftye
12-18-2010, 22:56
The good about military gear is that it is durable. The bad is that it is heavy. I have the system. The bivy weighs almost as much as my tent (Seedhouse I SL). The bivy is one of the few you will find that is all Goretex. I can't imagine you would ever need both bags on the AT.

That's for sure. It weighs about as much as much tarp tent, ground cloth, stakes and quilt.

Goretex is nice, although it's hard for me to justify using that bivy without some sort of netting. I may sew in a net hood. That may allow me to justify using it on some trips. Its bulk is hard to deal with though.

Copper Tail
12-19-2010, 10:49
If your current bag and extra clothes is working for you to the low teens now, I'd add a 7 oz TiGoat bivy and call it good.

Thanks for the input guys. I have been out in the woods the last week playing with options. I took my bag and the sleep system for backup. (It stayed in the truck nearby) My bag is a synthetic 30 degree bag with a silk liner. I took the Goretex Bivy from the sleep system and was very comfortable at 7 degrees (actual) -2 with the windchill. Had a few layers of clothing on and had my parka for backup, but didn't need it.

I have a buddy with a gore-tex bivy, and it's amazing how much water is in it every morning.

Is that condensation from his breath? I tried a trick from another poster on here...forget who it was...but I made a breathing tube. The bivy was great..it did have moisture on the outside of it when I awoke in the mornings, but I was dry inside.

I am in the military and have this sleeping system. I would never carry the complete system on the trail as it is WAY to heavy/bulky. Having said that, the goretex bivy is worth carrying and can be used over a down bag for weatherproofing or with just a light blanket/poncho liner in warmer weather. Hope that helps.

Yes it did! Thank you for the input! I weighed the Bivy. It came in just under 1 lb..(14 oz.) Twice the weight of the TiGoat that ski suggested, but it's doable for now. I just can't complain too much as it's a freebie!