PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the bugs!

Newb
12-17-2004, 12:02
ahaha...I found this at sportsmansguide.com...I thought it was a seductive comfort item, I just wouldn't be seen in it.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=44888

Newb
12-17-2004, 12:07
I found this stuff. It's heavy, but would be the hit of any shelter...

http://www.dreamingearth.com/natural-pest-control.htm

Bloodroot
12-17-2004, 12:11
Seems good. I bet some mice though can probably eat that stuff or find some high-wire circus trick to get around it.

Newb
12-17-2004, 12:15
Yeah, but the "toss pack" might actually be a good thing to shove in a bag to keep the mousies out of your backpack.

Bloodroot
12-17-2004, 12:21
Oh yeh, I just noticed that. Wonder how much those little bags weigh? Just kidding about the shelter mice, although they can perform some amazing feats when faced with an obstacle.

Bloodroot
12-17-2004, 12:25
Oh I see now, 2oz. per bag

Newb
12-17-2004, 12:26
Imagine the poor, tortured mouse that is sitting there shaking and convulsing as its indomitable need to follow food-scent trails to your pack meet it's natural revulsion for the odor of the repellant. If everyone started using these things eventually the AT would become famous not for its natural beauty, but for its neurotic mice.

Bloodroot
12-17-2004, 12:31
Imagine the poor, tortured mouse that is sitting there shaking and convulsing as its indomitable need to follow food-scent trails to your pack meet it's natural revulsion for the odor of the repellant. If everyone started using these things eventually the AT would become famous not for its natural beauty, but for its neurotic mice.
LOL....you outta market this stuff for Dreaming Earth Botanicals!

rickb
12-17-2004, 14:23
Newb--

If you ever hiked in blackfly season up in the Maine and NH, you wouldn't have any qualms about being seen in that head net! Infact you might part with all your beer and chocolate for one. ;-)

Rick B

wacocelt
12-17-2004, 14:29
One of my squad leader in Panama would eat 5 match heads a day for a week before a filed excercise, the sulfur will begin to seep out in your sweat and repulses insects. You begin to smell like boiled egg flatulence after a few days, but only other people and bugs can smell it, which should hopefully prevent you from being bitten by either.

I didn't mind the black flies in Maine so much as the clouds of tiny bugs that fly directly in front of your face and get inhaled through your nose and mouth and sometimes spiral into your inner ear. Man oh man oh man do I despise those bugs! Be well.

Pencil Pusher
12-17-2004, 14:49
I agree with that, you'd be suprised what you'll wear after you've come across the biting black flies and mosquito dive bombers that don't give a rat's ass about any sort of repellant you put on. You just better hope they're out of season or there's a breeze. I've worn both the head net and the top and they sure help. You can use the headnet as a stuff sack while it's not in use. If you don't have the headnet, wear the shirt backwards so the hood covers your face and the cinch the opening closed as much as possible so only the back of your head is exposed. Wearing the headnet while sleeping under the stars is a good way to avoid inhaling those swarms of little bugs and to not wake up to a bumpy and itchy face and neck. Plus for those afraid of Deet, these unfashionable alternatives are very effective ones.

zenribbits
12-17-2004, 16:50
Wouldn't the combination of the mint oils attract bugs?

Jeff
12-17-2004, 17:38
Have read several accounts on the which state has the worst mosquito population. I found New Jersey in August was NOT as bad as I feared. Any opinions out there??

Peaks
12-17-2004, 20:46
Have read several accounts on the which state has the worst mosquito population. I found New Jersey in August was NOT as bad as I feared. Any opinions out there??

Bugs anywhere are usually not a problem by August. It's June when they are usually out for blood.

Toolshed
12-18-2004, 12:52
Mass with all of its stnading waters is horrible for mosquitos. BTW, I wore that same headnet in Alaska and it was a godsend.

Newb
12-18-2004, 18:54
You know, if you come across wild peppermint (it grows like crazy here in Virginia and in Maryland) you can just grab a handful of it and rub it on your face and neck. Gnats and flies hate the smell and wont buzz you face. That's an old timey trick from the days before Deet and such.

minnesotasmith
12-18-2004, 22:20
"One of my squad leader in Panama would eat 5 match heads a day for a week before a filed excercise, the sulfur will begin to seep out in your sweat and repulses insects".

There are other chemicals besides sulfur in matchheads. A better way to ingest sulfur is to find an old country (nonchain) drug store, where they still sell small boxes of "Flowers of Sulfur" that are foodgrade. Alternatively, I believe that it is also available at some country feed stores.

I've also heard that eating brewer's yeast will eventually act as a flea repellent, although you want to limit your consumption of it due to the nucleic acid content being harmful to health if excessively ingested over time.

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2004, 16:17
I agree with Toolshed. The State bird of Massachusetts, the Chickadee, should really be replaced with a mosquito, especially in early August.

Worst places that come immediately to mind are the area around Tyringham, and just before Great Barrington; Tom Leonard shelter can be unusable sometimes. Word to the wise for those hiking next near: Get some MAXIMUM strength DEET (like Ben's) by Kent, CT at the latest or you will be hating life.

attroll
12-19-2004, 23:15
The Chickadee is also Maine's state bird and we also say up here that is should be the state bird should be a mosquito.

ed bell
12-20-2004, 00:46
My wife and I spent a couple days during our honeymoon on Lake Millinocket in late May. The mosquitoes were unbelievable. Relentless. Omnipresent. It didn't spoil my trip, the views were unforgettable. I wouldn't trade them for the world. I have an OR ring head net. If I had it with me, I would have worn it, no question.