PDA

View Full Version : Trail Start Dates 2011

Iceaxe
12-08-2010, 13:56
Okay.. I am like so amped right now! I just bought my plane ticket and made my reservation for the Hiker hostel!
I am gonna hike out of Amicalola on the approach trail sometime on March 15th!
It is real! I am leaving the left coast to hike the Appalachian trail this March. Don't worry I wont bring any sun dried tomatos or liberal politics with my from California. I might call you dude a lot though.
Anyhow I thought I would make this thread and see if anyone else has finalized their plans. By the way, plane tickets are a bargain this far in advance.

mbracken05
12-08-2010, 14:27
i'm shooting down to hotlanta(well not so hot) on or around feb 1st. gotta get an early start due to life

LoneRidgeRunner
12-08-2010, 14:50
i'm shooting down to hotlanta(well not so hot)
on or around feb 1st. gotta get an early start due to life

Be prepared for some cold and windy weather in the Smokies of NC and TN with that start date. But, being from Pennsylvania I'm sure you're no stranger to cold. But February at 5000 to over 6000 feet above sea level and 60 mph winds gives a whole new meaning to cold. I have spent some nights at 5000 + feet in NC in the dead of winter so I know. Just be sure you have some goose down (for lounging around camp at days end) and something to keep the wind out of it and you should be fine. I will start my thru hike when I do it in the dead of winter also so I can get as far north as possible before the heat of summer. I can tolerate cold much better than extreme heat. Enjoy it!

HiKen2011
12-08-2010, 15:12
Be prepared for some cold and windy weather in the Smokies of NC and TN with that start date. But, being from Pennsylvania I'm sure you're no stranger to cold. But February at 5000 to over 6000 feet above sea level and 60 mph winds gives a whole new meaning to cold. I have spent some nights at 5000 + feet in NC in the dead of winter so I know. Just be sure you have some goose down (for lounging around camp at days end) and something to keep the wind out of it and you should be fine. I will start my thru hike when I do it in the dead of winter also so I can get as far north as possible before the heat of summer. I can tolerate cold much better than extreme heat. Enjoy it!

I agree...with everything!

mbracken05
12-08-2010, 15:13
thanks for the advice! yeah being from PA i am used to it. plus i work as an aircraft mechanic all through the winter on a giant open slab of concrete. should be interesting though

CinciJP
12-08-2010, 18:00
I'm jealous. :D I'm planning/hoping to go in 2012.

ClassY
12-08-2010, 21:02
Im excited as well!!
plan on being done w work on the 1st of March, and then flying down a week later or so.
And I second the cheap flights. $75 one way ticket. Nice. But those silly additional charges will probably put it over $100. Blah.
Oh well.
And I hope to hear some sweet Left Coast Lingo! "dude" and "man" is fine by me!

Cant wait!!

MotherShip
12-09-2010, 03:45
I understand. I can hike with my dog better in the cold then the heat. I will be starting mid March as well.

MotherShip
12-09-2010, 03:45
I understand. I can hike with my dog better in the cold then the heat. I will be starting mid March as well.

Storm
12-09-2010, 12:21
You guys are way to tough for me. I'm not planning on leaving until 2012 but I'm waiting till April. I'd much rather hike semi nude(not a pretty site) in the summer than to carry all that extra weight. I wish you the best of luck if you can hack it though.
:sun

Serial 07
12-09-2010, 12:57
"I am gonna hike out of Amicalola on the approach trail sometime on March 15th!"

great start date (my birthday), just make sure you bring some irish whiskey for st. patty's day!

NYRGTO
12-11-2010, 01:29
I don't have a date set in stone yet but it's likely going to be March 23.

Amberalicia
12-12-2010, 07:48
Plans are to take the train from Portland, ME to Charlotte, NC on February 2. Then visit friends in Asheville and Erwin for a while and eventually get to Springer by the second or third week of February. From there I have 3 and a half months before I go back to work for June, July, and August. Not sure whether I'll then finish up, but hiking south in Maine in September is really nice. Plus I get to smile as they go by all those who started later than February.

mbracken05
12-12-2010, 11:05
Nice! I'm not gonna be the only one out there in February

hobbs
12-12-2010, 12:17
I am starting March 2 NOBO. Then flip flop to end where I live off the trail here in VA. I have my brother dropping me in GA and a buddy hangung for a day. Then just me. I look forward to the sites sounds and cold we face,. LOL have to laugh now because when we get there thats a different story:P

SullyJoe
12-12-2010, 13:12
I am giddy with excitment... leaving feb 21, and share the sentiments about the cold (I'm originally from michigan). I now live less than three hours from springer, so i only have to buy a plane ticket back from maine. I'll see you other cold weather folks out there!

TheTwanger
12-12-2010, 20:21
We plan to get a ride down to Amicalola with family for a March 1st departure.. Don't exactly share everyone's love for the cold, but I can't wait to be out there!

Mountain_Goat
12-12-2010, 21:04
I laugh too because as we sit here in our warm homes it is easy to say "no big deal" to the cold.But once you get out there,that's a different story.

I have a plane ticket for feb.26th. Starting the approach trail with my fiance on march 1st.She will take off and head back after that.

Very excited to meet so many cool people.Also happy to see there will be a herb of hikers ahead of me to blaze the trail :)