PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use an EMS pack?

MattC
12-08-2010, 15:22
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has ever used an EMS pack for hiking. My current pack is 3500 ci, and i'm looking for something slightly bigger for winter backpacking. I was at my local EMS and saw the EMS trail 70. 4300 ci and $40 off if you order online. Pretty much what i'm looking for, and priced right. Im just wondering if anyone has any expirence using packs by EMS.

Heres a link to the bag

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3655563&lmdn=Brand&cp=3677338.3737363.4075362.4058671

Toolshed
12-08-2010, 17:37
I carried an EMS 3000 TL for about a decade for Winter Climbing and then sold it in 2002 and always regretted it. I still have my 1994 EMS 3000PL, which has been to and from work about 600 times, to and from (and all over Europe) about a dozen times and dragged, pulled pushed and squeezed through most anything you can think. The packs they made back then were the "de rigueur" weight of the period and performed quite well for the price.. Very very pleased.
I Also have a 1,000 CI Waistpack from the early 90's and the PU interior is just finally starting to break down. Speaking as a former Brother of the Apron, The old EMS had a great policy and stood behind their products.
I think the new owners (as of 5-years ago) are doing a bang-up job and also have very good customer service policies.

Based on what many carry now, their packs might be a little heavier, but what the heck.. If it fits and the costs are in line, go for it!!

LIhikers
12-08-2010, 19:13
I have 2 EMS packs that I use.
One is a 2800 that I use for weekend trips and the other is a day pack that I use for, what else, day hikes. They are both years old and have been used a bunch with no problems. I even backed the car over the day pack and didn't kill it. If that pack fits your needs and your budget I' dsay give it a try. If you can get to one of their stores that would be even better so that you could try it on before buying it.

nox
12-08-2010, 20:41
I use an EMS Solitude for my winter trips. It is still in great shape and takes the abuse well. If it feels "right" when you try it on, go for it. I've never had any issues with mine.

MattC
12-08-2010, 20:47
I've tried on the pack before it feels good, and the price is right so i might be getting it in the near future. (looking at you santa) I just havn't found that many reviews of EMS packs online, and just wanted to get a feel for the quality of there packs.

thanks for the input guys :D

psyculman
12-09-2010, 06:39
I had an EMS 5000, it was very good quality and sizable for great comfort.

ec.hiker
12-10-2010, 00:54
I have an ems 2800 ld I think I don''t use itloan it to people take hiking. The pack I use was a gift from my ex she got it at a thrift store I want another one just like it but have no ideas who made it. I have checked everywhere on and in the pack and cant fins anything relating to the brand where the patch was it has been taken off. I absolutley love this pack and will be very sas when it is worn out. I once spent 5 hours on the net looking over packs to try to find it. The only thing I kjnow about it is its appearence and that it was made in um i think tawain? But back to the ems it doesnt suit my needs too small not enough pockets

Tilly
12-10-2010, 09:52
I've never hiked w/an EMS pack, but I used to have a daypack that I used almost every day for work, traveling, actual dayhiking, everything. I had it for over 7 years and it looked brand new and wore great. I miss that pack. (I don't have it anymore due to a fire, not because it wore out.)

Anyway if you find one you like I'm sure it would be pretty durable.

CrumbSnatcher
12-10-2010, 10:07
i only wear kelty externals but i always wanted to buy/try a dana designs and a EMS external

The Snowman
12-10-2010, 19:15
used a EMS day pack for years never had a problem but I don't think the current line is as good as what was made back in the 70's and 80's

Toolshed
12-10-2010, 19:21
i only wear kelty externals but i always wanted to buytry a dana designs and a EMS external
The first time I put my Dana Astralplane on, I didn't want to take it off. :D

Wise Old Owl
12-10-2010, 21:19
Its robust and will almost last forever - its also two pounds too heavy. There are new packs that are lighter and won't last forever and won't kill you hiking with them. Hense the close out. Know you know.

keep looking... here is a suggestion..

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GLT1173

rdljr
12-10-2010, 21:46
I used the EMS 70 for the last 10 months and have not had any problems with it. It is lighter than my old Kelty was and a bit smaller but it fits me nice. I do miss all the pockets of the kelty and still plan on using it in the winter when I need to haul a ton of gear. I have put about 200 miles on the EMS and no failure so far. For less than $50 after discounts and coupons I've been real happy.
RDL

CrumbSnatcher
12-10-2010, 21:54
The first time I put my Dana Astralplane on, I didn't want to take it off. :D
i think after the kelty 50th year anniversary pack was made with the newer lighter stronger pack cloth in 2002 and the lighter frame,the super tioga also came out with the newer material and the hour glass frame and i thought the packs were more like 5 pds. instead of 7.
i hiked with the 50th year pack in 2003 and liked the way it rode but i missed the pockets, that the super tioga had.
the 50th had 2 saddle bags that i disposed of and those gay ass suspension things on the waist belt,lost one of those and threw the other one away bought a 2005 or so super tioga on ebay last year brand new never used! thats my pack for next years hiking. i only like green and olive drab colors, thats all i will buy.