PDA

View Full Version : Computer Access along AT

12-08-2010, 18:29
:-?Just curious, as I haven't been able to find any info on this yet, are there any public computers accessible along the AT in towns that can be used to update logs, upload photos/videos, send emails, etc? Or have people kept a small laptop in a bounce box? Thanks for any feedback for this newb.

10-K
12-08-2010, 18:37
It's common and getting even more common. Hotels, hostels, and libraries all generally have some type of access.

I think phones are where it's all headed.

garlic08
12-08-2010, 18:40
There were a few stretches more than 100 miles where computers were not available when I hiked in '08. It also depends on your style of hiking. If you can afford decent motels, you'll have a better chance of finding a free computer than if you stay at cheap hostels. And library computers, while common, may be busy if you're staying in the "pack" of hikers.

I used public computers to update my journals with just two exceptions when I mailed notes home to a transcriber.

12-08-2010, 19:45
mainly I would be looking to dump my pictures/videos every few weeks to clear out my SD card. It would be insurance in case damaged or lost and I don't want to buy a bunch of SD cards since that can add up. I would rather not send my laptop along in a bounce box if I could help it because again I don't want to risk damage or loss. I figured most hotels and even some hostels may have internet access, but not computers for hiker use. Thanks for your thoughts/comments!

BrianLe
12-09-2010, 02:42
This topic has come up before, search for past threads.
One factor to bear in mind is that libraries often don't allow you to plug an SD card into their computers. Motels and hostels might be more open to this.

An alternative is to find drug stores that take your SD card and burn a CD for you that you can mail home; I did this once along the way this year.

Mags
12-09-2010, 10:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers
http://www.physorg.com/news171883994.html

Iceaxe
12-09-2010, 12:38
There is a way to get around the "Locked up" SD card slot on some Library computers if you want to upload photos.
If there is an accesible USB slot, and there usually is, this can be a simple safe way provided you have your camera's USB cord along as well.
What you can very often do on public computers is plug in your camera to the USB port. Turn it on and wait. The computer may try to install software for the device. Just click NO when it trys to do this. Also click no if the computer recognizes your device and wants to download all your photos. You don't want all your pictures on a public machine and it will probably shut you down if you try to do this anyways.
Then go to your blog site or email or where ever you are going to send a picture.
When it comes time to attach the photo, click "Browse" from the popup menu. Click My Computer. On the list of drives c:, d:, whatever you should see your device listed at the bottom. Click on your device's icon.
You will them sometimes see all the thumbnails of your photos right away and simply click the one you want to send. Sometimes you will have to find the file containing these, choosing from several.
The important thing to realize is that you are only using your camera as a portable storage device. There is no need to download all your photos on the public computer to send them off in emails, blogs, etc.
Tha being said it could take some time to send the entire contents of a memory card this way. I don't recommend that.
But if all you want is to send a few of your pictures home or send them to a blog this is the way to do it that many pulic computers allow.
If you plug in your camera to the USB port and nothing happens or you can't find it on the "My Computer" menu or they don't allow access to that menu, your screwed. This happens but it was very rare.. at least along the PCT and CDT trail towns.