PDA

View Full Version : gracefull roll

mweinstone
12-08-2010, 22:13
im posting this because its important we support a hiker in need. my friend and yours, gracefull roll, recent member of the hiking community and loved by all,..has been admitted to hospitol this morning . her doctors belive she may have accute luckemia. as of this post they are more than 50% sure. her cell phone is dead and she cant call her friends. shes alone but for her mom and wishes she could be surrounded by friends. im looking for a ride to roanoke now. i want an outpouring of support from those who can. she needs us for our emotional support alone. please if you know kristen,.call me and help me arrange for a convoy of hikers to visit. untill tommorw morning , when the doctors will be giving her the definitive answer as to whether she has this form of lukemia,we need to be ready to go there. she is in no pain but very scared and very alone. my # is 215 668 0898. i live in philadelphia minutes from I95 and my apt can be a point of departure for anyone wishing to visit her. you may have her moms cell number if you know her. call me.

mweinstone
12-08-2010, 22:19
for anyone in roenoke who could visit tonight, her name is kristen kelly. shes in the medical icu rm 878. i have the passcode and will give it to those who call me who know her. all others ask at the front desk.roenoke memorial hospitol. they have several icu's.shes in the m.i.c.u. god bless .

Sierra Echo
12-08-2010, 22:25
if she is in ICU they may only let immediate family visit. Regardless, visiting hours for the day would be over.

Mizirlou
12-08-2010, 22:51
my friend and yours, gracefull roll, recent member of the hiking community and loved by all,..has been admitted to hospitol this morning .

Graceful Roll, a beautiful addition to WhiteBlaze. I bumped into her a few times here. She has a knack for changing the entire personality of a thread with her humor -- she was a cheerful contender in the WhiteBlaze Diagnostic Sweepstakes. She’s been noticeably absent and I miss her.

My prognosis: good things will come her way. :sun

mweinstone
12-08-2010, 23:00
ist possibly not too late to visit. shes on the phone with jester so call back with support if no answer.

Hikerhead
12-08-2010, 23:22
I'm going to visit tomorrow around lunch time if she's able to see visitors. Nice gal. Met her at the Gathering.

mweinstone
12-08-2010, 23:24
she can have visitors. spoke with the nurse. anyone can pray,send a pizza to the nurse station or letters ,visit or flowers. thank you all for being a community. lots of love flowing her way this eve. still looking for ride. will hitch tommorow if i cant afford a bus.

HiKen2011
12-08-2010, 23:28
she can have visitors. spoke with the nurse. anyone can pray,send a pizza to the nurse station or letters ,visit or flowers. thank you all for being a community. lots of love flowing her way this eve. still looking for ride. will hitch tommorow if i cant afford a bus.

If you need funds for the bus let me know, i'd be glad to help!:)

TheTank
12-09-2010, 01:25
This is very sad news. I hope they are wrong and she finds out tomorrow that she is fine. I wish I had the time to take off and visit her. I wish the best for her no matter what the diagnoses.

mweinstone
12-09-2010, 02:00
i need a place to sleep in roanoke. if you can find me something.the greyhound bus is 14 hrs and gets in at 9:45 am friday morn to roanoke. but the amtrak is 6 hours and gets into lynchburg at 7:30 pm thursday nite if i had a ride from there to roanoke and a place i would do that. otherwise if i took the train i would take a bus from lynchburg to roanoke and arive at 10pm thurs and would need a place. it looks like the bus is my option. also im bringing food but cant afford a place in any event. if you have a place to pitch im bringin my gear. also i have no way home but will find one unless someone is returning from roanoke any day after i arrive. i will stay as long as i can,up to a week or possibly two. but will take a free ride any day after i arrive if thats what im able to do. i got 150.00$ so after the bus ill only have 35 and wont be able to chip in for gas or tolls. please dont offer money. i dont do that well. i can allways call my brother and he can wire me a bus ticket home so thats not too much of a concern. i love kristen and will comfort her for all of us. thank you all .oh, and if anyone is headed down south anytime in the next day or two i would wait for that so as to have more money to travel safe with. thanks to panzer,mrs panzer, fatchap, jester, tank, the dude ,mizirlou,hikerhead, and all who have been here for her.

Mizirlou
12-09-2010, 10:31
her name is kristen kelly. shes in the medical icu rm 878.

Graceful Roll can receive greetings via the hospital’s “E-mail a patient” service:
http://www.carilionclinic.org/Carilion/CRMH+Guest+Services

mweinstone
12-09-2010, 10:42
last night while i was talking to people the phone beeped.ignored it. it was the sprint shut off notice. this morning a knock at the door. the lanlord. max , just back from rehab after 3 months+has been here 5 days and leaves tommorow for austrailia to be with his mom a month , is mia 2 days.this morning makeing coffie bumped the computer charger and broke the cord.the supeena for tax court date is the 3rd. a bench warrent may be issued if i dont show.thankfull i got to alert you all to support gracefull roll. ibook is 2004 and holds a charge about 30 min. in the hands of the big man now. working the problem like a nasa team on crak.2 weeks ago gracefull roll and i were talking about living together. today she needs the love of this community. i owe everyone an apologie for being me. whiteblaze is more than a hiking fourum. its a community of exseptional people i love.

BAG "o" TRICKS
12-09-2010, 11:30
Graceful Roll can receive greetings via the hospital’s “E-mail a patient” service:

Matty called me last evening about Kristen. I had the pleasure of meeting 'Graceful Roll' for the first time at this years Gathering. She is a vibrant wonderful young lady with a great sense of humor and love for the trail, someone very special who very much needs our prayers and thoughts at this time. We are part of her family as she is ours. Thanks for e-mail address Mizirlou.
Keep us posted Matty.

Rain Man
12-09-2010, 12:25
I'm going to visit tomorrow around lunch time if she's able to see visitors. Nice gal. Met her at the Gathering.

Don, please keep us posted (publicly or privately), if you don't mind. I do not know GR, but like many send our best her way.

Rain Man

Hikerhead
12-09-2010, 18:00
I visited with her at lunch time. She was in good spirits and in no pain. They were drawing blood when I arrived and I spend a good amount of time talking to her mom and dad in the hallway. They are great folks and in a state of shock by all of this, as any parent would be. She's in room 1031 now but that could change but please send her a card, I know she would appreciate it. Don't send flowers, she's allergic to them I think, I had to leave mine out at the nursing station.

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2010, 19:29
For folks who'd like to send a real card, can someone post the correct address? Thanks.

sasquatch2014
12-09-2010, 21:03

Thanks for the email address. I am so shocked by this we were just hanging out at Trashgiving less than a week ago.

mweinstone
12-09-2010, 21:50
phat chap called late last nite( who was a chaplin). he reminded me that we die the way we live. kristen is a happy, outgoing, beautiful soul who will deal with this all. miss janet called just now and reminded me that we can allways hold out hope. for life, and for even cures, and that we all have comfort and love to give someone in this situation. spoke to gracefull roll just now and shes had a bone marrow biopsy and was tired and now is sleeping comfortably. she does have lukemia. they will now find out what type and what treatments to give. i reminded her that she impressed all of us with the beautiful energy and outgoingness and streanth and kindness she has . i asked her if talking about god helped or not and she said that she likes that. i told her even if she dosnt understand god, to think of him as a big geni who has the world in his hands.miss janet spoke with her mom and made her feel better i know. kristen has a charger for her phone so can call her friends now. she was calm and sleepy. i love gracefull roll and will give her love allways. janet is thankful hikerhead visited because she loves him alot .hes a really good guy , i know .and it makes me proud to be a part of such a group as we are.kristen seems alot stronger emotinaly today as shes way braver than i and i told her so. i told her that we are like her new adopted family and we will be here for her. she loves the hiking community she found in us and we can be of great comfort to her she knows this. in a word, shes holding together like a champ.i wrote a poem once ill share if its okay.
cry:
to god or to your earthly self
to make a river of tears
to be walked on
or washed away by
great torrents start with droplets
wonderful things thru god
were all baptized in tears

we are all the better to know each other here , and her.
tommorow is another day.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2010, 23:03
so where are you right now?

Hikerhead
12-09-2010, 23:19
The link below gives the location of the hostpital.

http://www.carilionclinic.org/Carilion/Carilion+Roanoke+Memorial+Hospital+Location

Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
1906 Belleview Ave - room 1031
Roanoke, Va 24014
540-981-7000

For cards, the above room is where she is now, it could change. If it does your card should still find her if you send it to the above room #. Please send a card or call her.

mweinstone
12-10-2010, 01:58
i just cant make the trip down. and i know what your thinking. dont. i love you and gypsy, but i gotta work out my crap alone. i quit drinking and b o bi ng after the gathewing, went to a meeting, hung with max and got real. thats where i am. gypsy and you are in my thaughts. next time we meet, ill be the guy with the bright eyes. it feels good to finaly get me back. wolf, send her a card with love and ill concider it my gift. xoxoxooxoxooxooxoxoxbright eyes
damm dirty apes(charleton)ill make her laugh tommorow, and ill use some of your humor if i can. she needs to laugh a little too. send her some tiny smudge of trail dirt on her card and write "scratch and sniff" so she can laugh a little and get a feel for your beard. sorry, feel for your weird. we all need a little weird hiker humor. and lord knows what would happen if you mix my humor with yours when cheering up a sweety like gr.

nitewalker
12-10-2010, 05:55
my prayers and thoughts go out to gracefull roll and her family!! may god enlighten her with love and care thruout this sad ordeal.

mathewski, just keep being you and true to what you belive in. your okay in my book brotha..........peace, nitewalker

Smile
12-10-2010, 06:48
Sending prayers and thoughts her way. MW you have a good heart, and God knows our hearts.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2010, 07:36
i just cant make the trip down. and i know what your thinking. dont. i love you and gypsy, but i gotta work out my crap alone. i quit drinking and b o bi ng after the gathewing, went to a meeting, hung with max and got real. thats where i am. gypsy and you are in my thaughts. next time we meet, ill be the guy with the bright eyes. it feels good to finaly get me back. wolf, send her a card with love and ill concider it my gift. xoxoxooxoxooxooxoxoxbright eyes
damm dirty apes(charleton)ill make her laugh tommorow, and ill use some of your humor if i can. she needs to laugh a little too. send her some tiny smudge of trail dirt on her card and write "scratch and sniff" so she can laugh a little and get a feel for your beard. sorry, feel for your weird. we all need a little weird hiker humor. and lord knows what would happen if you mix my humor with yours when cheering up a sweety like gr.

i was just thinkin' about where you was and how gr is.

Speakeasy TN
12-10-2010, 09:40
I feel like I've been kicked in the gut! This is so unfair! Best wishes to Kristen and MW. Time to send an e-mail.

mweinstone
12-10-2010, 09:48
lamarr,, could you please tell gracefull roll my phone is off and that i will get it back on soon.thanx.

Mizirlou
12-10-2010, 09:55
GR has a beautiful trail ahead.

Rain Man
12-10-2010, 11:31
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
1906 Belleview Ave - room 1031
Roanoke, Va 24014
Please send a card or call her.

Thanks, Don! Card going in today's mail to Graceful Roll, aka Kristen Kelly.

Rain:sunMan

Mizirlou
12-10-2010, 11:31
lamarr,, could you please tell gracefull roll my phone is off and that i will get it back on soon.thanx.

:rolleyes: I gave her the message.

I just got off the phone with Graceful Roll. She sends thanks for the e-mails from Jersey Dave, Skidsteer, Sasquatch, Lamarr, Bag O’ Tricks. And thanks to EVERYONE who’s called, sent messages, visited.

She’s up and walking. No fresh flowers, but she can eat and drink, if you’re wondering whether to send something. She digs red wine and puppies -- HA HA HA! Not gonna get ‘em, Miz Roll, hospital policy.

She wants you all to know she can see McAfee Knob from her window.

Good ole Matthewski misspelled her name. It’s Kristen Kelley. Kell (add an “e”) y. She’s in the hospital for the next 3 weeks. Room 1031 for now.

Blissful
12-10-2010, 11:52
My sister's mother in law had an aggressive form of leukemia--she had treatment and is in remission and doing well (they told her she only had months to live, too). Praying this is what will happen for Kristen.

Speakeasy TN
12-10-2010, 13:16

Will do................ and thanks for letting us all share in this.

No Cows
12-10-2010, 13:24
Very Sad, my thoughts and prayers are with you Kristen

the goat
12-10-2010, 15:32
this would be a great time to remind people to register with the National Marrow Donor Program:
http://www.marrow.org/

registration is incredibly easy & can be done through the mail, via a kit with cheek swabs.

i've been blessed to have twice been matched with someone needing a bone marrow transfusion.

johnnybgood
12-10-2010, 17:31
Sending Kristen a get well card first thing in the morning. Wishing her the very best and will include her in my thoughts and prayers.

I don't know if I can take any more bad news today. A friend today told me of someone I knew years ago that's basically been told there's nothing more they can do for him . He has an aggressive form of cancer. Life is indeed fragile.

Rain Man
12-10-2010, 17:38
Sending Kristen a get well card first thing in the morning.

Mine went out in today's mail. Would love to think a simple card might bring her good cheer.

Rain Man

berninbush
12-10-2010, 18:14
Hey, I don't know GR or any of you really, but I can tell you that I used to work in the Leukemia department at MD Anderson, and even though my job was non-medical I picked up a lot of knowledge about it. And I know that different types of leukemia have very different treatments and prognoses. Acute myelogenous leukemia is a different disease from acute lymphocytic leukemia, and even within those categories, there are sub-categories with different treatment plans. Some kinds of leukemia are now very treatable/ "curable," while others still have a very high mortality rate. All that to say, I would encourage GR and her family to ask lots of questions, be as informed as they can about her disease and her treatment plan, and don't be afraid of getting second opinions.

If her particular sub-brand of leukemia has a well-established frontline treatment plan, she can most likely receive it at a local hospital and get tip-top care there. But if it's something that hasn't responded well to standard treatments, she should investigate research protocols at some of the major hospitals like MD Anderson. They may be able to offer her options her local doctor has never even heard of. New stuff comes out all the time, and every effective drug now in existence was new once.

I will say a prayer for her and her loved ones.

Speakeasy TN
12-10-2010, 19:03
Here's hoping that now that she's in a room she'll get a laptop in there so she can keep in touch!

TOW
12-10-2010, 22:03
just sent an email....

GracefulRoll
12-11-2010, 01:34
Dear Friends,

You have no idea how happy all of this makes me, but if sending a card makes you feel warm, it makes me feel amazing!!!

I got more emails this afternoon and the woman who prints them out for me is off for the weekend, so if you send any this weekend, she will give them to me monday.

It even makes HER happy.

Hikerhead did come and visit me. He was so sweet. Tomorrow is a day of no procedures and such, so email, chat, reading, resting, TV is on the books. Again, Hikerhead, thank you for the book :)

My brother got me one, too! All outdoorsy stuff.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I can see McAfee's from my window.

I know Matty wants to come see me, but a space for him to crash is what he needs. Will work on that. I do want to see him.

However, be warned... any of you that may b here by Thursday/Friday, I'll be rather bald. Just started chemo tonight. No side effects yet.

Anyway, the drugs are kicking in, and I need to get sleep. I've had a crazy few days.

This is my first time in a hospital, first time getting any invasive procedures (bone marrow biopsy, indwelling venous catheter for meds), first time for an IV in my arm). Argh!

It's a bit of a rollecoaster.

However, feel free to call my room number and my cell phone number if you have it/find it.

You guys are AMAZING. I moved into my room on the oncology floor after my first night at the hospital in the ICU and I already had mail, even from strangers. Keep sending the love! I have run out space to post them on my bulletin board. Looks like I will have to get to making custom wallpaper!!!! :)

Oh, and some good news... I have a very successfully treated form of leukemia. :) I still have leukemia, but it's nothing anyone is thinking will be hard to treat.

The person typing me told my doctor that he was "extremely optimistic" and a guy who works on my floor told me the same.

I think I'm gonna be okay, but I'm gonna feel like total a$$ first. lol

Visitors and cards are all welcome. Just check with the nurses first if you're local enough to show up.

GracefulRoll
12-11-2010, 01:41
this would be a great time to remind people to register with the National Marrow Donor Program:
http://www.marrow.org/

registration is incredibly easy & can be done through the mail, via a kit with cheek swabs.

i've been blessed to have twice been matched with someone needing a bone marrow transfusion.

GREAT IDEA, goat.
I may or may not need one, and my brother is the first place they will look.

However, if that fails, and any of you feel inclined, I would be honored.

You guys make me get all weepy in a good way.

Much love back to all of you. This all helps so much.

camojack
12-11-2010, 02:24
Oh, and some good news... I have a very successfully treated form of leukemia. :) I still have leukemia, but it's nothing anyone is thinking will be hard to treat.
This is GREAT news!!! :banana:clap:jump:dance

As you undoubtedly know by now, you've been in a lot of people's thoughts and prayers, thanks to our good friend Matt...

Mizirlou
12-11-2010, 06:35
Dear Friends...Keep sending the love!

The “thing” went out yesterday. Small box, priority mail, sent to your Mom’s address. The post office said it’ll be delivered Monday, 12/13.

Hint: it’s not a puppy. That’s all I’m saying so quit trying to squeeze it outta me.
- - - - - - - - - -

Anyone got a puppy picture to post for GR?

Speakeasy TN
12-11-2010, 12:28
So this is what they mean by choked up.
Now I'm happy!
Heck, I'll shave my head if you want any more togetherness!

Rocket Jones
12-11-2010, 12:34

I'm doing the happy dance for you! No pictures though. That's a good thing, believe me. ;)

No Cows
12-11-2010, 15:16
Hey that's great news Kristen, still wishing you the best. Keep fluids in and rest when u can and remember bald is beautiful. Take care......Donnie

Smile
12-11-2010, 16:00
Good news, you are still in thoughts and prayers! :)

HiKen2011
12-11-2010, 16:35
This is GREAT news!!! :banana:clap:jump:dance

As you undoubtedly know by now, you've been in a lot of people's thoughts and prayers, thanks to our good friend Matt...e

Fantastic news!!! You need anything, anything let me know. Oh yeh I love bald women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HiKen2011

ec.hiker
12-11-2010, 21:00
Hey jsut so everyone here knows I am not sure if she has leukemia or what type she has if she does have it but I had AML in 97 it had a very poor cure sucess rate then but is outstanding now. I am a survivor and was told I onlyhad 2 weeks to live. I am praying for her even though I do not know her and just want you all to know if she does have leukimia it is treatable pray for her!! I left her a message and some of her friends so if anyone reads this and knows how I can help if she would liker to talk or I could even get up there next week!! Just let me know
Jonathan
910 265 1618
[email protected]

mweinstone
12-11-2010, 21:02
aint she somthing?! i cryed like 4 times since we talked. tears of joy should be studyed for their curative properties i belive.kristin, dream of hiking and enjoy your day of noninvasiveness.you earned it. maby the combined tears of joy of all of us could be a powerful cureative? its the best christmas news ever.the all new gracefull roll roll on.strong enough for a woman, but made for a man. goes on smooth, and lasts long. thank you my abba.
abba?
yes matthewski my child?
may i have one more thing please?
what is it you seek my love?
yes.

mweinstone
12-11-2010, 21:08
everybody with a snot filled tissue raise your hand right now.

mweinstone
12-11-2010, 21:24
if any of you had any sence at all you will have listened to mountain stage tonight and know full well whos birthday this is and how prosephetic that is. i call the prose poet in question,the godmother of prose.and one of my heros. write a poem/prose for kristin. i belive thats the thing to do.

their was a woman at the gathering who fell over alot
others fell just for her
to see if they could do it as gracefully
rolling and falling cant be the same
some are gracefull some are lame

its good to fall for fun and games
gracefull rolling is sorta the same
if it happens to you come hear and listen
the sound of wind and after theyved risin

all standing with their burdens needed
that they may hike
where trails are seeded

if you hear this sound youll ask
hows that done?
such a mighty task?

and this youll hear a one reply
the answer my loves , is in the sky.

Skidsteer
12-11-2010, 21:29

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/wavey1.gif

GracefulRoll
12-11-2010, 21:56
Just wanted to say I'm reading... I may not respond to everything because my eyes are often tired and I'm having vision issues in one eye (no worries, it will heal on its own).

Also, for those of you that may be unaware:

I am receiving SO MANY blood transfusions. So, for Christmas, I'm suggesting that everyone donate blood if they can. It's likely I won't get to return the favor due to receiving chemotherapy.

If it had not been for the people did their best to donate all of this blood, I wouldn't be here.

Also, kiss your loved ones.

GracefulRoll
12-11-2010, 22:00
The “thing” went out yesterday. Small box, priority mail, sent to your Mom’s address. The post office said it’ll be delivered Monday, 12/13.

Hint: it’s not a puppy. That’s all I’m saying so quit trying to squeeze it outta me.
- - - - - - - - - -

Anyone got a puppy picture to post for GR?

Not a puppy? Damn! ;)

Rocket Jones
12-11-2010, 22:12
Donating blood has become a huge issue lately, even moreso than it was just a few years ago. Due to concerns about Mad Cow, anyone who lived in Europe during the 80's (i.e. military and dependents) are now ineligible to donate. The available pool of doners in the US took a big hit.

If you can give, please do.

johnnybgood
12-11-2010, 22:16
Not a puppy? Damn! ;)
That's right... make him feel guilty. :D

johnnybgood
12-11-2010, 22:22
I donate blood every 2 month cycle so this week is the time for me to donate again.

Never underestimate just how valuable the act of giving blood is. It saves lives every day.

ec.hiker
12-11-2010, 22:56
Hey if you are a cancer survivor you can still donate it has to be in remission for a bit though not sure how long I have been in remission for I think klike 1 years now Leukemia AML not the same as gracefull but anyways I donate blood and plasma I actually get paid for the plasma I don't do it for the 15 dollars lol I do it cuz it is the right thing to do the 15 bucks usually goes to something charitable

Nizhoni
12-11-2010, 23:00
Just read this post..... Gracefull Roll you are in my thoughts and prayers! I'm glad to know that you are doing well and your spirits are up. We have never met and I am new to the sight. I think your friend Mattewski is a great friend and yes Mat my right hand is in the air!! Many blessings to you and please keep us updated on how you are doing!!

Mongoose2
12-11-2010, 23:00
GR

I started hiking the AT many years ago and have always been in awe at the family sense you get from the AT community, this is simply another example. Me, my wife and daughters wish you the very best. God bless you and your family and Merry Christmas!

ec.hiker
12-11-2010, 23:03
Just wanted to put that up there cuz I thought I couldn;t donate and was very happy to find out I could give back

Lugnut
12-11-2010, 23:38
[QUOTE=GracefulRoll;1078219]Dear Friends,

However, be warned... any of you that may b here by Thursday/Friday, I'll be rather bald. Just started chemo tonight. No side effects yet.

[/QUOTE[/

I got bald as a cue ball in '98. Don't sweat it. It will grow back better than ever! You can make it! :)

Grits
12-12-2010, 00:00
Here is a picture of Holston Mtn and the AT Enjoy
http://www.booneweather.com/photo_of_the_day/lg/20101211.jpg

Speakeasy TN
12-12-2010, 05:45
Can we do a blood donation in your Kristen's if we're not local? Anybody know how this works?

Speakeasy TN
12-12-2010, 05:48
Can we do a blood donation in your Kristen's if we're not local? Anybody know how this works?

Let's try that again!
Can we do a blood donation in Kristen's name if we're not local? Anybody know how this works?

Sorry it's 0447 and only 1 cup of coffee so far.;)

mweinstone
12-12-2010, 09:11
this all sucks . gr, i give you license to kvetch.

also, your badass permit number is 381453.

you have a new pukebowl. would you like to open it in a new window?

wish we could share your suffering among us. i would take the pinky toe. its all i could stand.how bads that pinky? id be all winey and mala would have to set up a portable wineing pit to cast me into.

i dont know how your doing this, your so brave, but when you freak out or crack, i can at least be here to bitc h at.my special freak out line is ext.347. ill keep it open.

in other news ,97% of whiteblazers are in your corner and woke up guilty were not you.

as allways, this is all jacks fault. as he is 3% of whiteblaze.by volume

some setteling of happyness may occure.kristen crispys may appear half full of life.this is due to seteling of contents during shipping. weights are gaurenteed and product is unaffected.

contains maximum amount of love allowed by law.

this tag may only be removed by god.

wash in bubble bath only.do not fold.

tears are normal exsept in rare casses usually during spring and for people hiking.

Blissful
12-12-2010, 09:20
Good news GracefulRoll. Be on the look-out for something from a "Bliss" :) Take care

mweinstone
12-12-2010, 09:39
the captain has lit the prepare to hike lamp.

please place your faith in an upright and locked position

by law, we are obligated to provide you with a voucher for thruhiking if the delay is more than you can stand.

"gracefull roll " and "kristen" are copyrighted trademarks of bravery and my not be reproduced without the exspress written permission of major leauge baseball.

pinkblazeing and the susan korman foundation are not affiliated with regular pinkblazeing in any way.

matthewskis love is non refundable and may not be suitable for other gracefull rolls

all smootching must be postmarked no later than the billville winter warmer. smootches received after that date will be returned in kind.

"room 23" and "mattheweski's love " are yours to keep even if you decide to sleep during the bad hiker poetry contest.

all wails are finnal.

Driver8
12-12-2010, 10:26
Just wanted to say I'm reading... I may not respond to everything because my eyes are often tired and I'm having vision issues in one eye (no worries, it will heal on its own).

Be sure to get your rest, Sweetheart. I've not had the pleasure of meeting you, but I feel I already know you. Your beautiful spirit shines through in your words and in the love Matt and others have for you. Shine your light brightly, dear one, but be sure to husband your energy and the strength your body needs to fight and rid itself of the weeds in the garden. We're praying for you!

And I'm sure, mattheski, that the sniffles and tears are curative. Just know it! :) Be kind and good to yourself at this time, too, and if your friends can step up and make it possible for you to be with Graceful Roll (what a beautiful name, by the way!) - whether by phone or in person - then accept that love and friendship, hold it close to your heart and let it happen. People love you here for good reason, it's clear to me. Know that and own it, let it warm your heart and inform your life - this is a hard message for many of us to hear; trust that I know this from experience and wrestle with it yet.

I'll get off my soapbox in a minute, but I'm moved to say, Matt, that the love and good will of your friends can, if put into the right place in your heart, be ennobling, strengthening and ennabling of healing and growth. I encourage you to let that happen. Peace and good fortune be with you and our graceful friend.

Driver8
12-12-2010, 10:29
Dear Friends,

I got bald as a cue ball in '98. Don't sweat it. It will grow back better than ever! You can make it! :)

I suggest that we could give her the nickname "Graceful Bald" like the beautiful grassy mountaintops down south on the Trail. ... :)

GracefulRoll
12-12-2010, 10:42
I suggest that we could give her the nickname "Graceful Bald" like the beautiful grassy mountaintops down south on the Trail. ... :)

That sounds just a tad bit dirty, no? :D

mweinstone
12-12-2010, 10:59
warning:thruhikes may appear more spiritual than for other hikers in rear veiw mirror.

acceptance of terms agreement allows for an increace in hiking as precribed by the law of the land

you have used .0001% of your hard drive.you have 999google of love remaining.

thank you for choosing to focus on the horizen network of possibilitys.

the shepards cane,being healed by stripes and being made as white as snow are all attributes of the gracefull roll persona.

suckel up for saftey

love is a never ending ring and gaurenteed for life.

all proceeds go to soul of gracefull roll.

gracefull rolls hard drive cannot be overwriten or replaced.

a software update intitled"by faith we are healed" is available.

download now?

hobbs
12-12-2010, 11:24
Graceful Roll
I am new to the community here. But I hope the best! Seems that you have such a positive effect on the people here. I hope your spirite is contageous because then I would be the lucky one. Take care and your in my thoughts.

GracefulRoll
12-12-2010, 11:37
Good news GracefulRoll. Be on the look-out for something from a "Bliss" :) Take care

I will keep my eye out for it ;) Thanks!!

GracefulRoll
12-12-2010, 11:39
Here is a picture of Holston Mtn and the AT Enjoy
http://www.booneweather.com/photo_of_the_day/lg/20101211.jpg

That is so beautiful. Thank you!

Driver8
12-12-2010, 14:05

Heh. Certainly hadn't such a thought in mind - I'm innocent, this time, I swear! But now that you mention it. ... :-?

Red Hat
12-12-2010, 14:55
Kristen, I am so sorry to hear this. I haven't been on WB for several days and didn't know. I am relieved to hear that the prognosis is good. You are in my prayers, as you start your treatments.

Tinker
12-12-2010, 15:27

Out of habit I just go outside and cover one nostril....................:)

Graceful roll, we all love you, even if we haven't met you. The human race (especially hikers :rolleyes: ;)) is quite remarkable.

Prayer works. Love works.

Get better. We're pullin' for ya!

mweinstone
12-12-2010, 15:28
http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer?pagename=PL_landing_2010
this is the biggest pinkblazed three day hike we can hike

Speakeasy TN
12-12-2010, 16:54
:D:D

Next on the Docs list:

Sense of humor intact? CHECK!:D:D

sasquatch2014
12-12-2010, 19:28
Hey that's great news Kristen, still wishing you the best. Keep fluids in and rest when u can and remember bald is beautiful. Take care......Donnie

With you on that one Donnie.

Out of habit I just go outside and cover one nostril....................:)

Graceful roll, we all love you, even if we haven't met you. The human race (especially hikers :rolleyes: ;)) is quite remarkable.

Prayer works. Love works.

Get better. We're pullin' for ya!

I know it may be tough to remember who I mean but lets see if I can narrow it down and help you out she was the only woman sleeping in the basement at Big Johns for Trashgiving, She sat next to you for a few of the meals. I know it was a big place but there is a chance you may have met ;) Love ya brother.

GracefulRoll
12-12-2010, 20:55

I know it may be tough to remember who I mean but lets see if I can narrow it down and help you out she was the only woman sleeping in the basement at Big Johns for Trashgiving, She sat next to you for a few of the meals. I know it was a big place but there is a chance you may have met ;) Love ya brother.

Hahahaha you beat me to that, Sasquatch. I was the only bird on the snake farm that weekend.

Speakeasy TN
12-13-2010, 05:24
A pearl among the swine?

GracefulRoll
12-14-2010, 20:59
Hello, lovelies :)

I've been a bit cranky and tired. I am not getting much sleep lately. There are less than empathetic nurses. There also some CNAs that probably have a CBC lower than mine. If they had anymore air in their heads they would float away as they took my blood pressure and screwed up 4 a.m. blood draws that had to be done again at 5 a.m.... Redrum.

However, today has been alright I guess? I was a bit of a weepy mess, but that happens from time to time.

However, I got some AWESOME emails lately, and a lovely present from the trail. <3

Rain Man, Johnny--thank you for the cards.

Tank and everyone else that sent emails in the past few days, they cheer me up so much. :)

All of the support I receive is so essential to my mood and well-being. I couldn't ask for better friends and 'strangers.' Once I am well, we should all get together.

The doctor is extremely pleased with how well I have been doing over the critical first week that he's not so sure I'll need to stay TOO much longer. Oh, and, he said there is a possibility I may go home for Christmas! Cross your fingers for me, okay?

Hikerhead
12-14-2010, 21:09
That is excellent news!! And you better by nice to them nurses or else they'll be drawing blood all night, every hour....oh I hope not. Get well soon.

Driver8
12-14-2010, 23:28
Cross your fingers for me, okay?

Fingers totally crossed. Kinda hard to type that way, though. :)

camojack
12-15-2010, 01:34
The doctor is extremely pleased with how well I have been doing over the critical first week that he's not so sure I'll need to stay TOO much longer. Oh, and, he said there is a possibility I may go home for Christmas! Cross your fingers for me, okay?
That would be great...here's hoping.

I have the fingers crossed on my left hand, since I'm a right-handed, single digit typist... ;)

Speakeasy TN
12-15-2010, 05:44
That's great news Kristen! A good nights sleep and Christmas at home would be a huge step in the right direction. I'd love to see that! Thanks for the update. Don't feel too bad about being cranky, you're entitled! Hugs and Trail dirt.

Mizirlou
12-15-2010, 09:23
...If they had anymore air in their heads they would float away...

^For a first-timer you got the hang of it pretty quickly. You shoulda turned to us White Blaze Diagnosticians from the get-go. www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66588&highlight=diagnostic (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66588&highlight=diagnostic)

When the hospital bed + sheets start feeling like sandpaper, ask the doc to write an order for a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, a silk liner and a goose down sleeping bag.

The <3 is for real. From my best AT trip ever. When I peeled away from the hunters & their dogs on lower ground, ascending As Knob at a good clip (felt like my lungs were hangin’ from my bottom lip) there stood a bear. Right on the trail in front of me. He had the high ground. I had the cookies. Then he sat down and stared. Stalemate.

Cookie Bear finally ambled away in his own sweet time. I like to think it’s cuz I talked dirty to him & barked like a dog.

That’s the same trip where the <3 magically appeared on the trail. Use it as a talisman to ward off air-headed blood suckers. And bark like a dog.

Rain Man
12-15-2010, 10:21
Hello, lovelies :)

Rain Man, Johnny--thank you for the cards.

You're very welcome! And fingers crossed fer ya! (Now, where's that finger crossed icon when you need it?!)

Rain:sunMan (who rarely gets called "lovely"!)

chiefduffy
12-15-2010, 10:37
Fingers crossed (and kneemail enroute)!

Driver8
12-15-2010, 10:43
Rain:sunMan (who rarely gets called "lovely"!)

Yes, it's lovely when a lovely calls one lovely. :)

mweinstone
12-15-2010, 14:37
thinking about you. was reading a website called future timeline. it bases its predictions on the paths were on now. read it for like 3 hours last nite. at the age i can exspect to live to,..im fifty in march,....when im about 80 or beyond,......life will be extendable so that 80 year olds are "indistinguishable from people in their 30's". it says.

a hand held devise will have a chip that is able to do more operations per nanosecond than all the brains of everyone who has ever lived times billions to the 15th power of the square route of infinity times like 27.anyway,...they predict that in just the next few years we will have all sorts of things like planetary wide eco system failures, an increase in information waste manegment industrys and the development of artificial integegence.

in other news,...were all thinking about you. except for jack. hes thinking about squirrling away a roast beef sandwitch somewhere. later he'll think of you kindly im certian. lol.

also,...their will be no bears while you are sleeping.

Speakeasy TN
12-15-2010, 19:22

Well I'll be da--ed, and I would have thought it was impossible to find a silver lining to THIS cloud. Matty has a gift!:D

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2010, 19:58
Geez, Matty, that was kinda harsh. I've been away, just got back, just bought and wrote a card this minute, hope that works for you.

Migrating Bird
12-15-2010, 20:30
Hi we never met, but I wish you the very best for this special Holiday season. May you continue to be on the mend and get home for the Christmas. Hope to stumble by you on the trail. Get well soon.

Best regards,

M. Bird

mweinstone
12-15-2010, 23:14
i never said jack, that you were squirrling away a roast beef sandwitch, i said you were thinking about it. and im not the thaught police. in the future , squirrling skills will be highly sought after by young beautiful women. the measure of future man in the post bacon apocolips baconless manscape will be his ability to attract a mate with nothing more than squirrel bacon. roast beef bacon will have long been forgotton.take gracefull roll for instance, shes young, beautiful, and heir to a bacon fortune. so shes not gonna be available. she will have her pick of a multitude of squirrlers.such bacon rich females as kristen will rule with an iron skillet.

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2010, 18:16
Wow, I just finished a very long day.....don't have much time for WB right now, sure hope both Matty and Ms. K. have had a good day, and I hope to see them both soon.

Matty.....just wondering, what is squirrel bacon?

GracefulRoll
12-16-2010, 22:31
That’s the same trip where the <3 magically appeared on the trail. Use it as a talisman to ward off air-headed blood suckers. And bark like a dog.

I started cutting onions when I got that. Thank you :)

GracefulRoll
12-16-2010, 22:33
Hi we never met, but I wish you the very best for this special Holiday season. May you continue to be on the mend and get home for the Christmas. Hope to stumble by you on the trail. Get well soon.

Best regards,

M. Bird

Thank you so much!

GracefulRoll
12-16-2010, 22:35
thinking about you. was reading a website called future timeline. it bases its predictions on the paths were on now. read it for like 3 hours last nite. at the age i can exspect to live to,..im fifty in march,....when im about 80 or beyond,......life will be extendable so that 80 year olds are "indistinguishable from people in their 30's". it says.

a hand held devise will have a chip that is able to do more operations per nanosecond than all the brains of everyone who has ever lived times billions to the 15th power of the square route of infinity times like 27.anyway,...they predict that in just the next few years we will have all sorts of things like planetary wide eco system failures, an increase in information waste manegment industrys and the development of artificial integegence.

in other news,...were all thinking about you. except for jack. hes thinking about squirrling away a roast beef sandwitch somewhere. later he'll think of you kindly im certian. lol.

Mmmm far too many "make kristen sleep" drugs to really comprehend this one right now. ;) I'll laugh tomorrow.

HiKen2011
12-16-2010, 22:38
Wishing you a quick recovery as well as happy holidays!!!!!!!!!! :)

Nizhoni
12-16-2010, 22:51
Hello Gracefull Roll,

Glad to hear that you are going better!! Hope all continues to go well for you and that you are able to make it home for Christmas!!!!! Please keep us "strangers" up to date on how you are doing ;-) Until then you are still in my thoughts and prayers!!

mweinstone
12-16-2010, 23:32
you have used ,...zero....sounding bad minutes

you have,...unlimited.....sounding bad minutes remaining

say a command.......

you can say things like......more food.......or.......im bored........

just say a command........

im sorry....i didnt get that.....did you say........bacon?........

dialing bacon..........

Driver8
12-17-2010, 00:06
i never said jack, that you were squirrling away a roast beef sandwitch, i said you were thinking about it. and im not the thaught police. in the future , squirrling skills will be highly sought after by young beautiful women. the measure of future man in the post bacon apocolips baconless manscape will be his ability to attract a mate with nothing more than squirrel bacon. roast beef bacon will have long been forgotton.take gracefull roll for instance, shes young, beautiful, and heir to a bacon fortune. so shes not gonna be available. she will have her pick of a multitude of squirrlers.such bacon rich females as kristen will rule with an iron skillet.

When I was traversing Race Mtn in Mass with my best hiking buddy and his son in August, I ate little. Let my adrenaline and fat burning kick in and work their magic. About halfway through the 7+ miles, I told Jay I was craving "bacon bacon topped with bacon." Reflected for a sec, then added, "Of course you know this means I'm burning fat."

Bacon, for us carnivores, does gain a certain exalted status after we've got a few miles under the loosening belt. ...

Driver8
12-17-2010, 00:08
Mmmm far too many "make kristen sleep" drugs to really comprehend this one right now. ;) I'll laugh tomorrow.

I had trouble with it, and I neither drink nor smoke nor take any sleepy pills. I just try to roll with it, gracefully of course! ;)

Tinker
12-17-2010, 00:36
Hope you're feeling better, GracefulRoll.

Keep posting so I'll remember to pray.

Take care.

mweinstone
12-17-2010, 08:47
good women are distilled from all the good women ever were.

you need some amount of each of the greats to make a great.

a certian percent of snow white

a pinch of old lady in the shoe

a dash of joan of arc

a few spriggs of serina williams

the skin of rosa parks.............

fold igredients and bake wrapped in tail of froliking dino.add trail angel mary untill firm and searve warm on a bed of miss janet. garnish with freash bone lady.

men are made with scraps and fillers mostly but should containe at least 50% bob peoples witch may be substituted with sargent rock .

children produced with this recepie will be sweet and keep indefinatly.

helpful hint: for longest shelflife, store on appalachian trail .this recepie is only a guide. exsperoment by adding tank,mala or stumbelwolf for variety.

N9ZSY
12-17-2010, 19:07
We're thinking of you Kristen... My SO is a phlebotomist at one of our local hospitals and knows what you mean by CNA's and nurses...

Hoping you get home for Christmas...

Jason

mweinstone
12-19-2010, 00:31
i sence great footloosedness and fancyfreeness in your future.i see you thruhiking with a mascot. what it is i cannot see. but it becomes well known and rivals even the greats.the wizzard shrinks, the paddle of wyoming skateboarder becomes waterlogged and sinks.coconut monkeys on trails everywhere dive into their coconuts in shame....and then it comes,...walking down the trail a few feet behind you,......your team of hikersherpas carrying your mascot on what looks like an ark carryer.its heavy is all i can see. as of this post, i cannot use my powers to veiw what it is,....but judgeing by the recations of the other mascots,..it must be big medicine.

Speakeasy TN
12-19-2010, 05:34
Good morning all!
Hi GR!! Just checking in for an update. Here's hoping that everything is going well. What's the schedule for next week? Any shot at Santa getting to visit you at your house? Much love to ya!

Speakeasy TN
12-19-2010, 05:34
Good morning all!
Hi GR!! Just checking in for an update. Here's hoping that everything is going well. What's the schedule for next week? Any shot at Santa getting to visit you at your house? Much love to ya!

mweinstone
12-19-2010, 09:36
the last remaining vestages of sanity have gone out of our sociaty.

jester has a new very cool distorted facebook profile pic

panzer has charged all of his rechargable batterys

springer feaver has ramped up to a full pandemic

timetravel is still not possible at this time

john tidor has not returned from the future

a unified feild theory connecting the quantom with the not quantom aint happened

johnney thunder and freefall has not heeded my warnings and remain in korea

frustrations over m&m's lame christmas offerings of late continue to rise

baltimore jack tarlins daughter and me remaine unmarried

fedge still has the weirdest hiker name

the dude has moved in with himself

malas knee replacement rejected his political veiws

bag o tricks has suffered a massive fart detonation but will be allright

all while youve been away.i will now pray for you to get bacon.matty.

mweinstone
12-20-2010, 22:29
i called her just now. no answer. sleeps good .lets all think of loved ones when we watch the moon tonite. not like in an art bell thaught exsperoment creepy way,...but just think about stuff when you watch it. and maby send a good thaught gracefull rolls way. heres a short list of thaughts she wants for christmas:
thaughts of hungry hiking and warm long nights camping
thaughts of her dog
thaughts of being far from hospitol
thaughts of nothing worrysom at all
thaughts of being with friends

camojack
12-21-2010, 02:11
the last remaining vestages of sanity have gone out of our sociaty.

timetravel is still not possible at this time
Not true; I'm constantly traveling into the future...every single second of every single day. :rolleyes:

mweinstone
12-21-2010, 09:05
shes okay. she texted me this morning. said she went to bed early.

Tinker
12-21-2010, 23:23

See???

That's what happens when people use their REAL names at gatherings:rolleyes:.

Well, SURE I remember ............:o

Thanks, 'Squatch.:mad:;)

Hey, get better quick, Kristen my friend.:)

mweinstone
12-22-2010, 02:52
gracefull roll had me rolling in laughter just a bit ago. her sleep schedual is poop. she has a million interuptions all day and night. she sleeps an hour at dawn and one at dusk. and wanders around the halls planning her escape. shes such a hiker it aint funny. she put a sign on her door,"no trays,EVER!" to keep from pukeing from the smell of the food. she eats jesters moms apple cake three times a day with cottage cheese and all maner of soft foods like apple sauce and mush.her mouth hurts and shes tired but shes kickin like a mule and on this thing like hikers on cake. well, actually, thats exactly what she is, a hiker , living solely on cake. but her spirit is unwavered and her fiest is fiesty. all she needs is sunshine and freedom. her storys of the staff and her take on the sceene there is hellairious.i felt guilty being so cheered up by her. i was supposed to be doin the cheerin. shes filterin her guests and calls wake her up so call or text quietly in the middle of the day. oh, and shes quit smokeing! yea! and shes planned the battle against her cancer and has a good grip on what comitment to being healthy is. if anyone can make this look less than as hard as it is, its her. shes gonna kick this things ars.

Speakeasy TN
12-22-2010, 05:07
I'm glad to hear that everything is "hospital normal". Who'd have ever thought that trail food would be something to look forward to? And sleeping with a snorer in a shelter would be a good nights sleep? Thinking about you Kristen.

HeartWalker
12-22-2010, 08:01
Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you please know this old hiker has got you in his prayers and I too am hoping you get to go home for Christmas. You are an inspiration to all of us!

No Cows
12-22-2010, 10:29
Have a good day today GR, Have you heard if you get to go home for the weekend yet?

BAG "o" TRICKS
12-22-2010, 10:35
Hang in there Kristen, we want to see you at the 'Winter Warmer'. Hoping you and all on this site have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

GracefulRoll
12-22-2010, 11:05
Have a good day today GR, Have you heard if you get to go home for the weekend yet?

Nah. If I go home, it's home! I won't be here THAT long, though, to merit that.

GracefulRoll
12-22-2010, 11:27
As to Matty's update, yes.

I do have eating issues with mouth soreness (except the apple cake--worth it) now, but I'm still relatively pain-free. However, they do drug me up pretty well if need be.

However, they do drug me well if need be. ;)

Thanks for everything again I have received lately. Photos of the awesome dog Blaze, the trail pictures, the cards, everything. I have a wall-o-stuff! I'll take photos!

Blissful
12-22-2010, 15:06
Hang in there!!

Tinker
12-26-2010, 19:04
Hey, GR. How was your Christmas? We haven't forgotten. Get better :)

TIDE-HSV
12-26-2010, 22:46
the supeena for tax court date is the 3rd. a bench warrent may be issued if i dont show.thankfull i got to alert you all to support gracefull roll.

I'm very puzzled. I never heard of the US Tax Court issuing a bench warrant. In fact, I didn't even know they had the power...

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 23:00
g roll, thats a cool short for your name. yo sup groll!? she texts that shes good.

they can if its evation.but im running away to be a baltimore jack on the trail so im all good. whoops! shouldnt of said where i was goinglol.

the irs is six guys with pencils.

question for kristin.
dear miss roll, my name is matthewski and i was wondering, what is the meaning of limelight? is it refering to the color green in some way? do they sell bulbs of this type?

sincerly yours, matthewski in philadelphia.

GracefulRoll
12-27-2010, 13:55
Hey, everybody. My Christmas was, well, meh. I won't lie. It kinda sucked, for this lady with an unnaturally cheery disposition busts in my door at 8:00 a.m. and wanted to talk about bowel movements seconds later.

Other than that, I got nice things, I had a tree, and it's fake, so despite all the snorings of my mother the night before, it wasn't sawed down.

Matty - I have no flippin' idea. Limelight. In case you're serious, I'm pretty sure it just means a spotlight on you that's good to you. It's the opposite of being pursued by police with a green helicopter spotlight.
And I beat you on the GRoll bit ;) I drew it with your chalk next to the house in Pipestem.

I like G.Roll. No gang signs, though.

So, it's unfortunate I didn't get to go home for Christmas. However, I literally got two thumbs up this morning. Everything is physically fine. Just waiting on counts to come up. The problem is making sure I don't get an infection while my immune system rebuilds itself. I'm stuck to Fred, my IV machine. He can't leave the hospital. I can't leave Fred until I'm better. So....

Anyway, I hope everyone else had a nice Christmas and I will see you all later.

Winter Warmer is possible, but I dunno. Might have after care stuff? We'll see!

Thanks for checking in if you have.

Later, gators.
G.Roll

Speakeasy TN
12-30-2010, 05:25
'Sup G-Roll sounds funny coming from the pasty white fella with the Tennessee drawl! Don't come back out to the outside world without the immune system intact. The wife brought me some nasty bronchial virus for Christmas! It's a germ ridden jungle out here. As always, let me know if I can be of any help! Big hugs!

Driver8
12-30-2010, 08:50
We're thinking of you, Rollin' G. Glad to hear the thumbs are with you, and your spirits good. Continuing to pull for you. :)

Toolshed
12-30-2010, 09:07
g roll, thats a cool short for your name. yo sup groll!? she texts that shes good.

they can if its evation.but im running away to be a baltimore jack on the trail so im all good. whoops! shouldnt of said where i was goinglol.

the irs is six guys with pencils.

question for kristin.
dear miss roll, my name is matthewski and i was wondering, what is the meaning of limelight? is it refering to the color green in some way? do they sell bulbs of this type?

sincerly yours, matthewski in philadelphia.
Since she prolly can't google right now - here goes:

Scottish surveyor and politician Thomas Drummond (http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/people/famousfirst134.html) invented the limelight in 1825. The English chemist Goldsworthy Gurney (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/gurney_goldsworthy.shtml) also invented one around the same time, but Drummond's light became more popular. Drummond burned calcium oxide, the chemical compound known as lime, in a hot hydrogen-oxygen flame to create a brilliant white light that was bright enough to be used for surveying land and in lighthouses. The light was so intense, it could be seen almost 100 miles away.
Limelight was soon used in theaters because it was moderately safer than the gas lights that were used around the stage at that time. When an actor was in the limelight (http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/meanings/201400.html), he or she was center stage and the center of attention, hence the expression we still use today. Limelight was eventually replaced by other, much safer lighting technology, but the phrase remained.

Toolshed
12-30-2010, 09:13
P.S. G-Roll,
Wishing you luck, though we never met. You're not alone out there....I was hospitalized this summer for over 3 weeks for a new (3rd) mechanical Aortic valve and Synthetic Aorta. Soon it wil all be a distant memory. the needle sticks, the constant temp takers awakening you, the bells and alarms going off constantly. Don't know if you are on an IV Drip, but after 3 weeks of one in my arm and dragging that damn IV pole with me, I felt like an ultralighter as soon as it was out...
You will too:sun
I knew it was time to get out when the nurse from my first night stay, came back 2 weeks later with a deep tan from vacation - She took one look at me and exclaimed "You're still here??"
Hope you are feeling better soon.....

mweinstone
12-30-2010, 10:31
hello g. would you like to play a game?

g. im sorry i cant open the airlock g.

g, look inside yourself,i am your father.

play it g.

freds a dead man when you get out of there.lol!

the city of philadelphia is a baconless wastescape filled to the top with baconlessness.may your bacon slurry find you weller.
may the clouds rain down bacon to all the aflicked.
may good bacon greese furnesses warm the chiled.
and may god forgive the bacon theif.

Rain Man
12-30-2010, 13:14
Limelight was soon used in theaters because it was moderately safer than the gas lights that were used around the stage at that time. When an actor was in the limelight (http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/meanings/201400.html), he or she was center stage and the center of attention, hence the expression we still use today. Limelight was eventually replaced by other, much safer lighting technology, but the phrase remained.

"Break a leg" also came from old English theater and remains with us today, but doesn't have the same meaning it might on the AT. :D

Blissful
12-30-2010, 14:49
Checking in. Take care

GracefulRoll
12-30-2010, 18:33
[QUOTE=Toolshed;1085849]P.S. G-Roll,
Wishing you luck, though we never met. You're not alone out there....I was hospitalized this summer for over 3 weeks for a new (3rd) mechanical Aortic valve and Synthetic Aorta. Soon it wil all be a distant memory. the needle sticks, the constant temp takers awakening you, the bells and alarms going off constantly. Don't know if you are on an IV Drip, but after 3 weeks of one in my arm and dragging that damn IV pole with me, I felt like an ultralighter as soon as it was out...
You will too:sun[QUOTE]

Fred is my IV machine name. I've been hooked up to a Hickman line and this thing for a good... 3 weeks? When they unhook me so I can get 20 minutes or a shower? Heaven. I agree. I feel like I'm an ultralighter and almost like I forgot something.

GracefulRoll
12-30-2010, 18:47
Thanks a million for the well-wishes and love. Thanks to Matty for making me laugh, whether or not I was supposed to. Do I want to play a game? If it involves sleeping for more than 3 hours at a time, then maybe. If not, no thanks. lol

I'm alright, ladies and gents. I'm just waiting for my immune system to completely reboot. As soon as one count is up and I'm not ill/fevered, I'm OUT. They will probably tell me as soon as my labs come back on that sweet, wonderful, hopefully soon to be day that I get to go home!

The only thing that stinks is that they make you the most tired person you have ever known and then they wake you up ever few hours. I've been thinking of ways to lock the door, but then again, that's probably a truly bad idea. It would involve lots of hospital furniture and leverage disadvantages.

On that note, I think someone is at the door.

I'll keep you all updated!

-GRoll

Rain Man
12-30-2010, 22:48
I'm just waiting for my immune system to completely reboot. As soon as one count is up and I'm not ill/fevered, I'm OUT. They will probably tell me as soon as my labs come back on that sweet, wonderful, hopefully soon to be day that I get to go home!

Here's wishing for a Happy New Year for you.

Hikerhead
12-30-2010, 22:54
Here's wishing for a Happy New Year for you.

Same here.

mweinstone
12-30-2010, 23:54
thaughtmail.everybody think of groll hiking strong.

you all saw me make up that word . just in case anybody trys to claim it.

HiKen2011
12-30-2010, 23:56
Praying for a quick recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

GracefulRoll
01-02-2011, 16:54
Just a little update, in case you have been reading:

Still a waiting game at this point. Blood work is great, always has been... just waiting on my white blood cell counts to go back up, which means my immune system 'rebooted.' It looks like it MAY be on the way up starting tomorrow... maybe.

I'll probably find out I go home on the day they decide to release me.

By the way, I just wanted to say my windowsill and bulletin board are both full of stuff all of you have sent! All of the photos, cards, emails from the hospital, etc. I have to take down all of the stuff the hospital had up there and put it elsewhere. Ha!

You've all been amazing to me and I appreciate it more than you know.

I hope everyone had an amazing New Year's celebration and drank a bunch of beer for me because I'm not allowed! :( The doctor made what I hope is a joke saying, "No hiking for at least a month once you get home." Haha. Does he really think I'm going to do a summit and freeze my rear end off just because I am not attached to an IV pump (a.k.a Fred)? I'll wait until March.

But I will have a celebratory beer when I get home. A #9 has been calling my name!

Blissful
01-02-2011, 16:55
Thanks for the update. Hopefully you will be homeward bound very, very soon.

Speakeasy TN
01-02-2011, 18:50
G-Roll! I hope the New Year holds a quick turn in fortune.

You need to make a clean break from Fred. He's no good for you!

Tinker
01-02-2011, 21:53
Thanks for the update, GR. :)

mweinstone
01-03-2011, 14:00
trail angel mary is seaking recepie ideas for a "gracefull roll". ideas may be posted here.

matthewskis "gracefull roll"

you will need:
one pound cake
jelly any flavor
can of whipped cream
semi sweet chocolate chips
can of ringed pinnapple

carve poundcake into a shape like a large pringles can
mix shaveings with whipped cream and jelly
frost cake with mixture
cover in chocolate chips
on large platter, make a hill of pinnapple rings. place roll on a diagnal with one end sticking up over the hill and one end on the plate.

searve with bacon exsplosions for a balanced hiker dish!

GracefulRoll
01-03-2011, 22:56
Figures. Now that I have a real appetite again, Matty talks about pound cake and pineapples ;)

I think Trail Angel Mary might have the best idea of 2011.

mweinstone
01-04-2011, 09:12
miss janet and i had a good talk last night about all our troubles and we both pointed out how every time we bum out about our woes, we stop ourselves and think of you. your nothing but cheerful and a good example of strength in the face of hardship.you have no idea how many people you have effected positivly with your youness. get well soon groll. we all need you to teach us more.oxoxoxomatthewski

GracefulRoll
01-04-2011, 12:27
Yeah, but I wouldn't say your woes aren't woes because they aren't cancer.

You'll make it if I can make it through this.

rambunny
01-04-2011, 16:30
you got my prayers.

mweinstone
01-04-2011, 19:33
the popular trail term "yogi" has been replaced to "g-roll".

example: dude!, i just g-rolled all these cookies and sodas!"

that is all.

GracefulRoll
01-05-2011, 12:12
I like being the inspiration for things.

Example, while in a fog this morning and a nurse came to draw blood at 5:20 a.m. (like they do every morning), I heard another nurse come by and ask, "Hey, did you see the fridge? They actually stocked it with chocolate milk!"

It's a hot thing around here. So, I said, "I told the nutritionist I like it (hard to eat a lot of solid food). She said she'd stock the fridge. It's because of me. You can thank me now."

I cracked myself up and everyone else. Brilliant.

Let it be known that g-roll better not come back to haunt me later. "Why are you called GRoll? Do you yogi a lot?" *head against wall*

Speakeasy TN
01-06-2011, 20:56
Just looking for an update. I'm glad to hear you've got an appetite! I could have some smoothie mixes drop shipped!

Hikerhead
01-06-2011, 21:01
I hope you're well enough to meet up with a bunch of smelly hikers in a couple of weeks. It sounds like you're doing great.

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 22:40
had good laughs with her just now. shes good. real good. kickin ass and takin names.

HiKen2011
01-06-2011, 22:44
had good laughs with her just now. shes good. real good. kickin ass and takin names.

Good to know! Thoughts and prayers for continued improvement and of course a release to go home!:)

generoll
01-07-2011, 10:26
hey Graceful, any chance our family trees crossed somewhere?

GracefulRoll
01-09-2011, 00:27
Just looking for an update. I'm glad to hear you've got an appetite! I could have some smoothie mixes drop shipped!

You're a doll ;) If you get the chance, go for it. Many thanks!

GracefulRoll
01-09-2011, 00:29
I hope you're well enough to meet up with a bunch of smelly hikers in a couple of weeks. It sounds like you're doing great.

I'd love to say yes, but I have to go home and see how I do! I have to be allowed OUTSIDE. lol Ugh. A hiker confined to a room on a floor in a hospital that is literally mountainside...

GracefulRoll
01-09-2011, 00:33
hey Graceful, any chance our family trees crossed somewhere?

I'll make sure the nurse draws enough blood for labs and a DNA test.

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 01:33
the roll family tree has roots in all three of the major roll family lineages. from drum roll thru jelly roll to bank roll. although gracefull roll is concidered the heiress to the throne of the mother of rolls, caroll roll who was noted for singing.

Speakeasy TN
01-10-2011, 06:45
The patriarch of the family would be the venerable A. Teest Roll???

oh God it's contagious!

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 09:30
that is only tru in developed nations. most of the underdeveloped nations still contain worshipers of "the ancient" also known as "tootsee roll".

10-K
01-10-2011, 09:35
Someone has gone back in time to retreieve information not allowed to commonorers and pheasents. Please issue a quit and deceased order for all parties involved.

Prepare to be assimulated.

GracefulRoll
01-10-2011, 10:17
Keep the jokes--*removes sunglasses*--rolling.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 10:40
you think your laid up?
im so outta work..........

last night i drank the vanilla exstract for a nitecapper

i got layed off from job hunting

my tiny bit of soap is my last link with sociaty

if anything happens to this last razor, ill grow into a hairy monster in seconds

this morning i drank the almond exstract for an eye opener

my safty net is baltimore jack

in my mind the winter trail is filled with fried rabbits bounding here and there

im trying to panhandle enough for a pan for panning

and finally folks,...im so outta work,...

im gettig fake id so i can get meals on wheels!badda boom.im outta here folks thank you very much youve been a great audience.

camojack
01-10-2011, 23:15
It looks as though y'all are - wait for it - on a roll... ;)

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 23:25
cammo dont you have the jan 2011 national geographic magazines artical on the new worlds largest cave found in vietnam to read? cause its good.hey kristeninaninaninan.

GracefulRoll
01-11-2011, 11:26
I'm rolling fancy free from my IV today. And, if the biopsy results are clear today, I'll be rolling fancy free from that loud son of a biscuit for a long time because I'll go HOME!

Everybody cross everything you can cross. Fingers, toes, testicles...

If the results AREN'T clear? Ugh. F*#k everything about that.

No Cows
01-11-2011, 15:12
OO Yeah, Good News

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 17:23
crossed..............

Skidsteer
01-11-2011, 17:34
Crossing testicles doesn't sound very lucky to me but OK.

Skidsteer
01-11-2011, 17:35
Ouch......

Roland
01-11-2011, 17:41
Best wishes to you, GR!

I'm looking forward to your first update from home.

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 19:11
i only got one. so thats out. groll texted just now.

SHES IN REMISH AND BUSTIN OUT!!!!!

Skidsteer
01-11-2011, 19:13
i only got one. so thats out. groll texted just now.

SHES IN REMISH AND BUSTIN OUT!!!!!

Outstanding!

About the remission, not the one ball thing.....

johnnybgood
01-11-2011, 19:14
I'm rolling fancy free from my IV today. .
Fred isn't your type anyway. A GracefulRoll needs her freedom.:)

Speakeasy TN
01-11-2011, 20:27
GREAT news! After the craziness of this snow, I'll sleep extra happy tonight!

Hikerhead
01-11-2011, 21:08
I'm rolling fancy free from my IV today. And, if the biopsy results are clear today, I'll be rolling fancy free from that loud son of a biscuit for a long time because I'll go HOME!

Everybody cross everything you can cross. Fingers, toes, testicles...

If the results AREN'T clear? Ugh. F*#k everything about that.

Fantastic. Fingers are crossed.

GracefulRoll
01-11-2011, 21:23
I'm HOME! :)

Let's hope that it stays that way!

Thank you ALL for everything and the kind words, the cards, and the trail paraphernalia from Miz ;)

And Hikerhead -- sorry I never got you in to visit more, but trust me, I was so wiped I would have fallen asleep on you. Thank you for the cards.

HiKen2011
01-11-2011, 21:29

Thank you ALL for everything and the kind words, the cards, and the trail paraphernalia from Miz ;)

And Hikerhead -- sorry I never got you in to visit more, but trust me, I was so wiped I would have fallen asleep on you. Thank you for the cards.

So glad to here this! Great news, take good care and hope to see you on the trail soon. :sun

Grits
01-11-2011, 21:32
Welcome home and continued success and healing in the new year GW.

Hikerhead
01-11-2011, 21:35
No problem here, I'm glad that your home now. I know your so glad to get out of there.:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

johnnybgood
01-11-2011, 21:42
Now get your strength back so you can get to the Hikerhead Shindig at Corned Beef & Co come Feb.12th.
Hope to see ya there so we can all throw back a few cold ones.

Driver8
01-12-2011, 01:08
Great news! Hope things keep looking up, like a nice long hike in the Smokies. :banana

GracefulRoll
01-12-2011, 16:25
Now get your strength back so you can get to the Hikerhead Shindig at Corned Beef & Co come Feb.12th.
Hope to see ya there so we can all throw back a few cold ones.

Oh, MY... The Beef. lol

So what's the occasion?

Hikerhead
01-12-2011, 17:05
Oh, MY... The Beef. lol

So what's the occasion?

Just for the hell of it. good people + good food = good time.

You should come. See the thread under hooking up.

hobbs
01-12-2011, 17:36
GracefulRoll never met you because I am new to the area. But I would like to meet you and learn more about the trail and all the hiker trash I meet there...

GracefulRoll
01-12-2011, 17:55
To everyone who has supported me in any way and even those who never knew, yes, I hope that we all may cross paths on a trail this spring/summer. I won't be doing the AT this year. That was a given before I got sick, but lets hope it happens soon.

For any of you that may want to know, it actually wasn't that bad when I consider how bad it could have been. I think being young and never being sick before left me with an advantage physically. I saw some people on that floor that... well... I said I'd come back and visit. I hope they aren't there and by that I mean they are cured and went home. I'll call first. :/

I never threw up, developed a fever, got an infection, bed sore, or reactions to transfusions. I was really tired, had some mouth pain or headaches, and sometimes I let getting homesick get the best of me (nurses will always be better than doctors when it comes to this), but I'm fine considering. No more pain now. I'm home and they gave me a well-known antibiotic to take by mouth and said to check up with them on Friday with an appointment to get my blood taken. Surprisingly simple!

To everyone who gives blood, thank you, and please always do it whenever you get a chance. Since I have gotten chemo, I'm banned from a Red Cross truck for life. LOL. If you feel like you want to do something for me other than a card (though I do adore any and all of them) or a New Year's resolution, do that. The needle stick sucks for an IV (trust me, I know... they had to try to get mine in 7 spots and the wrist is the worst) but who knows? Maybe I got your blood. If so, you saved my life and I am forever grateful to whoever gave me blood or platelets. Are you an O- or O+ donor? :)

The type A donors for platelets (don't have to match me)--muchas gracias. I got a lot of that.

I received more bags of blood and platelets than I can count.

Anyhow, just an update. Now that I'm home I am totally hitting up some movie channels and enjoying seeing my family doing what they do, not sitting next to me in a hospital room. Hot soup is on the stove, dog is being cute, I've got a blanket and the internet.

My only question is about whether or not all of that really just happened...

GracefulRoll
01-12-2011, 18:03
GracefulRoll never met you because I am new to the area. But I would like to meet you and learn more about the trail and all the hiker trash I meet there...

All you need to know is most of the hiker trash I meet are good folks that would rather be hiking as a general rule. The jury is still out on Matthewski's case, but I'm sure he'll be acquitted of all charges.

It will be a while before I can be out in a crowd or have more people than necessary around. My immune system is still rebooting!

Speakeasy TN
01-12-2011, 19:04
Hiker trash indeed! The trash is exactly the reason my wife decided I needed to do the trail this spring instead of waiting until retirement. She met a ton of folks at Ron Havens April Bash and at Trail Days and then said " You gotta do this now!"

I can't tell you how happy I am at how things turned out!

Blissful
01-12-2011, 19:07

Hurray! Good news

mweinstone
01-12-2011, 20:03
the part about the blanket and dog being cute got me. matthewski wipes tear with dinos tail for tissue.very absorbant tail.

J5man
01-12-2011, 20:08
Welcome home Graceful Roll! If you can't make it to the event in Feb, we will have a cold one in your honor and raise a glass to toast your continued recoverey. Godspeed!

GracefulRoll
01-12-2011, 20:37
Welcome home Graceful Roll! If you can't make it to the event in Feb, we will have a cold one in your honor and raise a glass to toast your continued recoverey. Godspeed!

February?! *****. Will have to ask the doc. I don't think it's a big deal, but I have to see what my aftercare is first.

Drink at least 20 beers for me. Haven't been allowed to drink for over a month and I'm still not.

Do you have any idea how much I want a cold beer? A properly chilled Blue Moon with an orange slice? A Guinness properly poured? A Unibroue of nearly any variety? Yeah... I can't talk about this anymore. LOL

camojack
01-12-2011, 22:08
cammo dont you have the jan 2011 national geographic magazines artical on the new worlds largest cave found in vietnam to read? cause its good.hey kristeninaninaninan.
Read it. Wanna go... :banana

No Cows
01-13-2011, 00:09
Nice work G Roll!! Way to kick butt, Keep on keepin on

Tinker
01-29-2011, 23:43
GR - Just got to thinking and praying for you again. How are things?

Speakeasy TN
01-30-2011, 05:14
Still taking butt and kicking names? Hugs coming at ya!

mweinstone
01-30-2011, 07:10
cant wait for the hug. hope she doyals warmly at the billville.does pipestem seem long ago or recent to you guys? fell like i need my hikers.when is the very eb of winters doldrums and feaver?i got sf.

Driver8
01-30-2011, 10:08
Maybe I got your blood. If so, you saved my life and I am forever grateful to whoever gave me blood or platelets.

I suggest you now be dubbed "Grateful Roll," and hope continue to be on the mend, stronger by the day! :sun

GracefulRoll
01-31-2011, 15:06
Yes, still kicking a** and taking names.

Next Monday, it will unfortunately the a** of the next medical assistant who tells me I absolutely must have my finger pricked every week when I have a line for drawing blood... I don't HAVE to do anything. Grrr!! The rage! lol Kidding.

I didn't get that thing for nothing. So, yes, I am a Grateful Roll, but today I was a snot ;)

But I am DEFINITELY grateful to my doctors, all of you, and anyone who helped me in any way.

Speakeasy TN
02-01-2011, 05:22
Uh oh, I feel a whole flock of "little prick" jokes heading toward you and your finger! I'll go first! Things you don't want to hear from the Proctologist, Hold still, you may feel a little......"

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 08:56
Uh oh, I feel a whole flock of "little prick" jokes heading toward you and your finger! I'll go first! Things you don't want to hear from the Proctologist, Hold still, you may feel a little......"

Of all the words that WB filters because they could be dirty, they forgot 'prick.'

Should have seen that coming.

mweinstone
02-01-2011, 10:59
gracefull roll has provided us, thru her suffering, another example of the imence comradery and closeness of this hiking community. we can all be greatfull for knowing each other.of all types of folks, hikers are a breed apart. we have a love of life that is kept freash by the green of our tunnel.we operate seamlessly like a well oiled sub crew. we have strong smart wonderfull members and a wealth of inner peace from it all.i propose a tost to groll at the warmer. i will speak first and others may after. we will aknowlage the awsome streangth of our bonds ans the simple beauty of our knowing each other. and then we will hip hip horay her.

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 12:54
gracefull roll has provided us, thru her suffering, another example of the imence comradery and closeness of this hiking community. we can all be greatfull for knowing each other.of all types of folks, hikers are a breed apart. we have a love of life that is kept freash by the green of our tunnel.we operate seamlessly like a well oiled sub crew. we have strong smart wonderfull members and a wealth of inner peace from it all.i propose a tost to groll at the warmer. i will speak first and others may after. we will aknowlage the awsome streangth of our bonds ans the simple beauty of our knowing each other. and then we will hip hip horay her.

I expect drunk dials. Lots of them.

Driver8
02-01-2011, 15:38
I didn't get that thing for nothing. So, yes, I am a Grateful Roll, but today I was a snot ;)

Or you could be Grateful Bald. Or Snotful Roll. Or just plain ol' Cuteful Roll. Think I'm going with that one. :)

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 15:55
Or you could be Grateful Bald. Or Snotful Roll. Or just plain ol' Cuteful Roll. Think I'm going with that one. :)

I'll be sure to keep the razor handy for the next time you're asleep before me.

Grateful Bald... lol Yeah, hair jokes mean war.

mweinstone
02-01-2011, 16:26
in the universe
a spiral arm galaxsy spinns
wearing earth on its outstreatched arm like a watch
wirling around and around goes the doyal
velcrowed to earth beside the river susquhanna
crowned by a single room of note
23 holds on like a hat in a hurricane
inside , a man spins his pictures round and round to see what they mean
his mind still
everything else spinning wildly
a knock at the door
whos there?
gracefull roll!
hold on....everythings spinning, i have to make room for you
are you drunk?
not at all
then whys stuff spinning?
cause were in the doyal? duh?
right.
hey! that one looks like baltimore jack tarlin!
no, its jesus.
oh
everyone says that.
wow,...they really look like brothers
nope.
jacks way thinner
never knew jesus was fat did you groll?
well,..no i diddnt.
yup.
wow.
yup.
whats with the popper spinning with no popcorn?
its my heater.
wow.
want some food? ill call down.
sure.
cool.
pat? its me, can you send up my usual burgers with the next hiker comming up?

Driver8
02-01-2011, 20:02
I'll be sure to keep the razor handy for the next time you're asleep before me.

Grateful Bald... lol Yeah, hair jokes mean war.

Ah, how quickly she forgets taking "Graceful Bald" as a cheeky naughty bit a hundred-someodd posts ago. ... :)

Driver8
02-01-2011, 20:05

Yes, posts #70-71. A/k/a the glory days. :)

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 20:28
Yes, posts #70-71. A/k/a the glory days. :)

I took way too many drugs to remember that. Doesn't count.

But okay, that's funny. You're safe.

Driver8
02-01-2011, 23:29

Whew, relief! I was feeling used and abused. ...

Speakeasy TN
02-02-2011, 20:24

Oh it counts and all our friends are being so well behaved!

GracefulRoll
02-02-2011, 21:47
No take-back's with this crowd, huh?

Driver8
02-02-2011, 23:41

Tough crowd, tough crowd, I tell ya. Anybody here from Melville-Nauheim Shelter? Try the veal. Tip your waitress. ...

Speakeasy TN
02-04-2011, 08:56

They (we) just smell a take back attempt as blood in the water. Even if we didn't catch it the first time..........

Hope all is still full speed ahead!

mweinstone
02-04-2011, 09:07
of all our new hikers, groll is the best.

Driver8
02-04-2011, 09:58
of all our new hikers, groll is the best.

And Dave Grohl's band is the best in the business today. :)

GracefulRoll
02-04-2011, 12:20
Dave Grohl is just a caffeine junkie with a guitar ;)

Driver8
02-04-2011, 19:08
Dave Grohl is just a caffeine junkie with a guitar ;)

Yes, an awesometastic one! :)