PDA

View Full Version : Hiking pole grips/technique

ShaneP
12-09-2010, 10:55
When I first started using hiking poles, I only saw a little benefit from using them, until somebody showed me the "correct way" to use them.

I had been slipping my hands into the straps and gripping the poles, using the straps merely as lanyards around my wrists. doing this made a HUGE difference in how i regard and use my sticks

I was shown how to put my hands into the straps from the bottom, and use the tensioned strap as the handle, guiding the poles with two fingers, but resting the weight almost entirely on the straps against my palms.

This way, the poles easily flip forward on each step without having to move them with an arm motion, or carry them to the next step position.

I haven't really seen any pole handle/strap designs that are tailored to this technique, rather lots of designs where the handle is Grip Molded, encouraging the user to, well, grip the handle.

I've tried to pass the weight on strap only technique onto other hikers, but the advice rarely sticks.

How do most of you hold your sticks?

S

sparky2000
12-09-2010, 11:13
Going up hill, I grip the handle. Going down, I palm the face.

Driver8
12-09-2010, 11:23
I love my trekking poles, and usually grip them more where they're needed more. I've developed a bit of a carpal tunnel issue with them, though, which is frustrating. Actually, they worsen a pre-existing ct issue. But it's not a happy thing, b/c I find the poles to be superb tools otherwise.

Shane, I find your thoughts on technique very interesting. I've shyed away from the straps to this point - don't like the feeling of confinement - but will look at using them to minimize my gripping action and, I hope, cut down on the ct problem. Thank you!

Lyle
12-09-2010, 11:31
I love my trekking poles, and usually grip them more where they're needed more. I've developed a bit of a carpal tunnel issue with them, though, which is frustrating. Actually, they worsen a pre-existing ct issue. But it's not a happy thing, b/c I find the poles to be superb tools otherwise.

Shane, I find your thoughts on technique very interesting. I've shyed away from the straps to this point - don't like the feeling of confinement - but will look at using them to minimize my gripping action and, I hope, cut down on the ct problem. Thank you!

I'd be willing to bet that these would alleviate your Carpal Tunnel issues. These are MUCH more natural than gripping a conventional pole. I've used them both, will never go back to a straight grip.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Cookerhiker
12-09-2010, 11:31
Check out this thread.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63419&highlight=poles

Driver8
12-09-2010, 11:55
I'd be willing to bet that these would alleviate your Carpal Tunnel issues. These are MUCH more natural than gripping a conventional pole. I've used them both, will never go back to a straight grip.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Rain Man
12-09-2010, 12:29
I was shown how to put my hands into the straps from the bottom, and use the tensioned strap as the handle, guiding the poles with two fingers, but resting the weight almost entirely on the straps against my palms.

This way, the poles easily flip forward on each step without having to move them with an arm motion, or carry them to the next step position.

BINGO!!!! While we each get to "hike our own hike," you have described exactly the best way to use hiking poles, IMHO. Sounds straight from the Leki website (as I recall it now, a few years later).

Rain:sunMan

Mountain Wildman
12-09-2010, 12:37
This short video is how I learned the correct/best way to use trekking poles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXVMA5nShA

danger zone
12-09-2010, 14:17
I put the palm of my hand over the top of the pole handle, with the pole length shortened to 3-4 inches below waist heigth (never put my hands in the loops, didn't like it). As you walk you can just "flip" the poles with no energy in arm movement or energy to "push off". Uphill vs down only required a small adjustment. When I found my sweet spots, there were 2 different wear marks on the poles and I always new exactly where to set them for up vs down. Of course, I got lots of " your an idiot " looks and heard all the way to Maine how I was doing it wrong. However, I did have 3 outfitters tell me," Now that's how your supposed to use hiking poles". Worked for me, and, if you fall you can just let go-and not break a wrist.

Rocket Jones
12-09-2010, 15:44
I second the advice to check out Pacer Poles. Absolutely love mine.

ShaneP
12-09-2010, 15:53
At any rate, i love hiking with the poles. Once I settle into a good rythym, I start feeling like a quadraped; the poles an extension of my arms as legs, and when my weight starts to shift and balance forward, I begin to lean into it, I feel lighter.

S

ChinMusic
12-09-2010, 15:57
I use the straps the "wrong" way. It infuriates Elder. I think he wants to slap me every time he sees me......:cool:

I just can't get used to having the straps in my palm. It bugs me. The "wrong" way has the straps on the outside, which I prefer.

For rugged areas (risk of falling) I don't use the straps at all. If I'm going down I don't want to increase the risk of a broken thumb. I want to be able to toss the poles.

Tinker
12-09-2010, 16:01
A simple way to find out that you are using the straps correctly is to note that they are going over the backs of your wrists, not the front, and that you can push off using the straps only (again, the pressure will be on the back of your wrists, not the front).
Google a website on cross country skiing. The technique is the same for XC skiing (which is how I learned to use poles correctly - about the same time the Earth was cooling :p).

Spokes
12-09-2010, 16:08
This short video is how I learned the correct/best way to use trekking poles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXVMA5nShA

The video was interesting Mountain Wildman, but I don't know any long distance hiker who stops to continually adjust their trekking poles "based on the terrain" as depicted in the video. Makes no sense to me. In PUD country you'd drive yourself mad!

Also, I don't adhere to physically adjusting poles to the common "arm at 90 degree" angle recommendation.

What I do is adjust my poles slightly lower, then adjust the pole tilt angle during the hike. No need to stop and adjust when on an up or downhill.

In other words, placing the tip of the pole more forward or behind your legs automatically compensates for pole length adjustment no matter what terrain your on!

Elder
12-09-2010, 16:09
I use the straps the "wrong" way. It infuriates Elder. I think he wants to slap me every time he sees me......:cool:

I just can't get used to having the straps in my palm. It bugs me. The "wrong" way has the straps on the outside, which I prefer.

For rugged areas (risk of falling) I don't use the straps at all. If I'm going down I don't want to increase the risk of a broken thumb. I want to be able to toss the poles.

It doesn't "infuriate " me, it make me sad when they are miss used and used in a dangerous way. :eek:
Reaching through to the grip hangs you up, and does not allow your hands to relax. That is how you break thumbs.
And, like Pacer poles requires you hold on all the time.
Pacers put your hand in a specific/restricted position..and has no strap.
The correct usage is from below, up through and down...like skiers, is THE safest and most relaxed method.
The Leki Aergon grip is the most comfortable...by design.
The Aergon allows you to rotate over the grip without effort and with complete control.

And Yes, I am the Leki rep. :D
Doing it wrong..when you know better, is YOUR choice. Please do NOT suggest it to others....

ChinMusic
12-09-2010, 16:13
And Yes, I am the Leki rep. :D
Doing it wrong..when you know better, is YOUR choice. Please do NOT suggest it to others....
I didn't suggest it to others. I admitted to holding it wrong.

I'll keep trying..........

amac
12-09-2010, 17:07
How do most of you hold your sticks?

S

I hold mine, most of the time, the way you describe. I think I first heard of it on PBF. HOwever, if I'm going down a steep decline, I'll flat-palm the top of the hand grip.

LoneRidgeRunner
12-09-2010, 17:21

I use the poles as demonstrated in the video, placing my hands through from the bottom and allowing the weight to fall on the strap, eliminating the need to grip the pole and place my poles alternating with my feet just as demonstrated in the video but in high risk of falling situations I don't use the straps at all as I want to be able to get rid of the poles if I fall. Also, if you see a bear or a dog you may want to slip your hands out of the straps in case you have to fight with your knife or whatever you can get your hands on. Hiking poles aren't good clubs...lol.. But, I suppose whatever is most comfortable to the individual hiker is the correct way for that person..

Driver8
12-09-2010, 17:38
... I don't know any long distance hiker who stops to continually adjust their trekking poles "based on the terrain" as depicted in the video. Makes no sense to me. In PUD country you'd drive yourself mad! ...

Doubtless that's true, Spokes, but I've gotta say I did this the other day on a short, steep-graded there-and-back hike and it worked wonders on the descent. Nice arrow to have in the quiver. ...

Mountain Wildman
12-09-2010, 17:39
The video was interesting Mountain Wildman, but I don't know any long distance hiker who stops to continually adjust their trekking poles "based on the terrain" as depicted in the video. Makes no sense to me. In PUD country you'd drive yourself mad!

Also, I don't adhere to physically adjusting poles to the common "arm at 90 degree" angle recommendation.

What I do is adjust my poles slightly lower, then adjust the pole tilt angle during the hike. No need to stop and adjust when on an up or downhill.

In other words, placing the tip of the pole more forward or behind your legs automatically compensates for pole length adjustment no matter what terrain your on!

The adjustments are an individual choice according to what a person is comfortable with, The usage of the strap is the real benefit.
The foam section below the grips allow additional gripping area without constant adjustments on my Black Diamond Poles.

The Cleaner
12-09-2010, 17:58
I started backpacking in the late 70's using a hiking stick.They didn't make the high tech poles that are poupular now.Seems like back then some hikers used no stick.Well things have changed.I had some cool hiking sticks but still they were sticks.I use a single Leki Wanderfreund which has a cool handle which can be gripped several different ways.I like to hike in some rough/rocky/bushwhack type areas and two poles dont help much unless you are on a trail and can really max out your stride.Even in rough places one pole/stick is a must,helps a lot at creek xing.Seems there are some hikers using no poles/stick lately.The Wanderfreund does extend to 53" and that's perfect for me.:sun

Buzz Saw
12-09-2010, 18:24
Ten years of down hill skiing and I must agree Shane. That is the only way to use poles. When you fall at 30 mph the last thing you want is that ski pole trapped between your wrist and the ground by a strap. A friend of mine kept complaining about his hand getting sweaty while hiking until I showed him the proper way to hold his poles. Not everyone has forearms like Popeye and a grip like a vise. I attended a talk at the last gathering and one of the speakers was bad mouthing hiking poles say how dangerous they were, I tried to tell him it was not the poles but the way he was using them. That did not go over to big, I guess we all have to do it our way.

garlic08
12-09-2010, 18:24
Google a website on cross country skiing. The technique is the same for XC skiing (which is how I learned to use poles correctly - about the same time the Earth was cooling :p).

Ditto this, though in my case the Earth's crust had cooled and dinosaurs ruled.

In X-C skiing, you actually need to use the poles for propulsion, so the grip is very important. In the case of most hikers I see, the poles are merely along for the ride.

Rocket Jones
12-09-2010, 18:54
And, like Pacer poles requires you hold on all the time.
Pacers put your hand in a specific/restricted position..and has no strap.

A couple of things. Pacer poles have a strap, but it's used as a lanyard in case you let go, so the pole doesn't fall. A lot like some people who hold their poles wrong. :D

If you hold your relaxed hand out, you'll see that the fingers naturally curl towards the thumb. The Pacer grip is designed to fit your relaxed hand. Instead of taking the pressure of the pole on your wrist via the strap, the pressure is spread along the entire inside of your relaxed hand, from the thumb down to the meaty part at the base to include the rest of your palm.

You don't really grip them, you rest your hand in them. No squeezing required.

It's a different feel. Is it better? I don't know, but I do love mine.

Lyle
12-09-2010, 21:45
A couple of things. Pacer poles have a strap, but it's used as a lanyard in case you let go, so the pole doesn't fall. A lot like some people who hold their poles wrong. :D

If you hold your relaxed hand out, you'll see that the fingers naturally curl towards the thumb. The Pacer grip is designed to fit your relaxed hand. Instead of taking the pressure of the pole on your wrist via the strap, the pressure is spread along the entire inside of your relaxed hand, from the thumb down to the meaty part at the base to include the rest of your palm.

You don't really grip them, you rest your hand in them. No squeezing required.

It's a different feel. Is it better? I don't know, but I do love mine.

They also have a padded, straight-shaft grip below the normal grip if you want to use it for some reason. In the past 6 years, I've seen no reason to.