PDA

View Full Version : Gear shops in Gatlinburg

Loneoak
12-10-2010, 10:21
Headed to Gatlinburg later today, where are the good places to stop in for a visit to look at gear ?

thanks

SouthMark
12-10-2010, 10:28
Smoky Mountain Outfitter only one in Gatlinburg. Happy Hiker is out of business.

Loneoak
12-10-2010, 10:38
thanks South Mark, I will google it and find the location

Spokes
12-10-2010, 11:06
Nobody takes Gatlinburg seriously. They still sell "Live Hermit Crabs" there.

Elder
12-10-2010, 13:59
The Nantahala Great Outpost. At the park entrance and easy walk from the Grand Prix (hiker hotel) and the Smoky mountain brew pub.
Smoky Mountain Outfitter has moved and is basically under the tram at River Street.
The Happy Hiker is closed.

Luddite
12-10-2010, 14:13
Smoky Mountain Outfitter only one in Gatlinburg. Happy Hiker is out of business.

Wasn't NOC suppose to open an outfitter in Gatlinburg?

The Cleaner
12-10-2010, 14:36
Gatlinburg:eek: What a tourist trap.Crowds,traffic jams+high prices.Several thru hikers had similar comments.One even noted that the Aquarium seemed to be "out of place".I guess some thru hikers were expecting a "trail town" which Gatlinburg is not.I was walking up the main drag w/full pack in '83 and really got the "*** are you doing here look".For low prices go to Uncle Johnny's in Erwin TN.....

The Cleaner
12-10-2010, 14:38
Wasn't NOC suppose to open an outfitter in Gatlinburg?
I'd say the rent is a little high....:eek:

humunuku
12-11-2010, 19:02
The Nantahala Great Outpost is the NOC in Gatlinburg

Ladytrekker
12-11-2010, 19:45
I would not know what they sell there the last time I went to Gatlinburg I could not drive thru there fast enough. All the lights blinded me I thought I was lost and had gotten off the interstate in Branson, MO. Back in the day it was a charming little town but greed happened.

wornoutboots
12-11-2010, 19:55
Headed to Gatlinburg later today, where are the good places to stop in for a visit to look at gear ?

thanks

NOC is just that, a good place to go LOOK at gear, it's a little pricey in thar

Sassafras Lass
12-18-2010, 19:42
Pigeon Forge is the same but more spread out - yeah Happy Hiker is closed, they said they'd reopen but it hasn't happened yet - too bad.

SMSP
12-19-2010, 01:45
Great folks at Smokey Mtn Outfitters. Looking forward to visit NOC next visit, which is not soon, unfortuantely.

SMSP

Ol Mole
12-19-2010, 07:26
Coleman has an outlet just outside Gatlinburg, with some good prices.

LockJaww
12-19-2010, 08:55
I havent been to Gatlinburg since about 1998 or so...We always ended our hiking trips by spending a day there before going home.Im looking forward to zeroing there next Spring. Has it changed much , or is it just more of the same?

STICK
12-19-2010, 18:33
Yea, the NOC is nice. I was able to try a ULA Circuit on there but didn't buy it. I have bought a few other things there though...

Happy Hiker is closed down and from what I understand will not be reopening.

There is a store over by Bennets BBQ but I have not got to go in.

There was also another little store in The Village. Can't remember the name.

The Coleman shop as well as the Knife store outside PF is a great place to check out too. I have found that the Bass Pro Shop on 40 has the Largest selection of meals out of any of the stores I have been in.

SMSP
12-19-2010, 20:34
"There was also another little store in The Village. Can't remember the name."

This store was okay. I got a pair of cheap hiking poles for $30. The t-shirts there were cheaper than Happy Hiker, at the time. Not the same caliber at Smokey Mtn Outfitters regarding quality packs and gear.

Hate to hear the Happy Hiker wont be opening. They had a cool name. Thier gear selection and customer service was something less desired on my visit.

SMSP

HikerRanky
12-19-2010, 21:17
There was also another little store in The Village. Can't remember the name.

The Day Hiker is the name of that store. I've been able to find Aqua Mira in there, but the majority of the content is geared towards day hikers and tourists...

Bravefriend
12-29-2010, 16:59
The NOC's Great Outpost is a full outfitter that has great services for thru-hikers and hikers of all distances. free showers, internet, a safe place to keep your pack as you do chores in town. during the sprin season they run a free shuttle to the Gap for thru-hikers 3 times a day.
Beautiful building too!