PDA

View Full Version : First time.......

Mrs Baggins
12-11-2010, 09:44
Confession: My name is Mrs Baggins and I have never hiked in snow. :o. I have hiked in the rain, the cold, the cold rain, but never on snow or ice... Today that changes. :D OK, so it's only a thin layer of snow and ice, but it's a start!:rolleyes: I'm leading 17 of the Maryland Trail Dames out into it on a simple 3 mile hike - and many of them have never hiked in cold weather at all. I've done my best to advise them on clothing and footwear......it's 21 degrees out right now and may not get much warmer before the hike is over. At least it's not windy or even breezy. Who knows? I may get to liking this! I used to downhill ski, but there's always that nice warm lodge waiting at the bottom of a run..........

Mizirlou
12-11-2010, 09:53
... it's only a thin layer of snow and ice..

Slip sliding away. Take a camera, Miz B! :D

4eyedbuzzard
12-11-2010, 09:54
Have fun in that 20° heat. It was -5 here yesterday if it makes you feel any warmer.

Carbo
12-11-2010, 10:01
It's a blistering 35 here. Just came in from having my morning coffee on the back patio in my shorts and t-shirt, and socks of course!

Cookerhiker
12-11-2010, 10:10
You'll enjoy it very much Mrs. B, even the low temps. The beauty of the white forest with the sun glistening along with the "warmth" of the companionship with the other women will make it a pleasant hike.

FWIW don't know where you're going on this hike, but I hiked in the snow once up Weverton Cliffs and on to the Ed Garvey Shelter. Not a real long hike so it's manageable for your group some time. The view of the ice-encrusted Potomac from Weverton Cliffs was nice and I enjoyed sitting in the sun at the shelter drinking hot chocolate while gazing at the snow and the views of the valley through the trees.

wornoutboots
12-11-2010, 11:33
Invest in Micro Spikes or Yak Traks! I had to cut a trip short a last week due to unexpected winter weather. I felt horrible because I knew I would have went on if I had this piece of safety equiptment.

Mrs Baggins
12-11-2010, 13:47
Have fun in that 20° heat. It was -5 here yesterday if it makes you feel any warmer.

I just got back from spending 2 weeks in Montreal - didn't snow til the day I left but it was wicked cold and windy!

Mrs Baggins
12-11-2010, 13:53
It was a blast! So gorgeous out! Had some no-shows but 12 ladies still went. It was very slippery but the white of the snow,the brown leaves, the gray rocks, the bare trees, green ferns still peeking out....and then the sun came out. It was 27 at the start of the hike at 10 am and 35 by the end. Took 2 hours to negotiate the 3.3 miles because of some long slippery descents. Loved every minute of it. I've asked for snowshoes for my birthday.

Cookerhiker: I've done that stretch many times in good weather. It would be a very good one in snow I think. We'll keep it in mind for January or February.

Spokes
12-11-2010, 14:07
.........Who knows? I may get to liking this! .........

Must........... Resist..............The............Urge........... . To........Hike

....In...The...Snow........

Mrs Baggins
12-11-2010, 16:25
Must........... Resist..............The............Urge........... . To........Hike

....In...The...Snow........

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :eek:

HiKen2011
12-11-2010, 16:37
Oh yeh, I remember my first time, we were under the bleachers............wait wrong thread, sorry!

Toolshed
12-11-2010, 18:57
20 degrees is not an issue.... In 20 mintutes you'll be sweating stripping layers.

johnnybgood
12-11-2010, 19:22
Confession: My name is Mrs Baggins :o
Like the late Johnny Carson used to say , " I DID NOT know that "...

DapperD
12-11-2010, 23:04
Confession: My name is Mrs Baggins and I have never hiked in snow. :o. I have hiked in the rain, the cold, the cold rain, but never on snow or ice... Today that changes. :D OK, so it's only a thin layer of snow and ice, but it's a start!:rolleyes: I'm leading 17 of the Maryland Trail Dames out into it on a simple 3 mile hike - and many of them have never hiked in cold weather at all. I've done my best to advise them on clothing and footwear......it's 21 degrees out right now and may not get much warmer before the hike is over. At least it's not windy or even breezy. Who knows? I may get to liking this! I used to downhill ski, but there's always that nice warm lodge waiting at the bottom of a run..........Don't forget to bring the hot chocolate:D! Have fun out there!:welcome

Mrs Baggins
12-12-2010, 08:15
Don't forget to bring the hot chocolate:D! Have fun out there!:welcome

Told my son last night that for my birthday he can get me one of those skinny little thermoses so that I can take hot chocolate or tea on winter day hikes. :)

TOW
12-12-2010, 08:59
Confession: My name is Mrs Baggins and I have never hiked in snow. :o. I have hiked in the rain, the cold, the cold rain, but never on snow or ice... Today that changes. :D OK, so it's only a thin layer of snow and ice, but it's a start!:rolleyes: I'm leading 17 of the Maryland Trail Dames out into it on a simple 3 mile hike - and many of them have never hiked in cold weather at all. I've done my best to advise them on clothing and footwear......it's 21 degrees out right now and may not get much warmer before the hike is over. At least it's not windy or even breezy. Who knows? I may get to liking this! I used to downhill ski, but there's always that nice warm lodge waiting at the bottom of a run..........
Is Redhat with you, I know she is hiking in that area?

Mrs Baggins
12-12-2010, 10:51
Is Redhat with you, I know she is hiking in that area?

No. I didn't know she was here until I saw her FB post. She wasn't too far up the road from where we were hiking. She'd have been welcome to join us if I'd known she was going to be here!

Tinker
12-12-2010, 16:37
Told my son last night that for my birthday he can get me one of those skinny little thermoses so that I can take hot chocolate or tea on winter day hikes. :)

Tell him to get you a Kleen Kanteen - 40 oz. instead,;) and an insulated waterbottle holder. That way you can carry hot liquids with you and reheat them when they get cold by fire or stove. If you overnight in frigid weather you can heat water in the bottle by the fire, put it back into the holder, and take it to bed with you. It'll keep you as warm as if your sleeping bag was rated to 10 degrees less than the actual rating.

Tinker
12-12-2010, 16:39
I should add that reheating a double-walled insulated stainless bottle or cup could result in a possibly deadly "boom!"
Go single-walled with separate insulation. :)