PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Springer Tuesday

ec.hiker
12-11-2010, 23:23
My cousin and I are or going to hike from springer mountain to neels gap getting there tuesday leaving friday if we get to neels gap before friday or get there friday and feel like we want to go further we will keep on trucking until saturday or sunday. First trip in the winter super stoked I am bringing to extra tarps besides my ground cloth and haven't deided weather or not to stay in the shelter or my tent m tent is a three season I am thinking I can rig the extra tarp up to kind of deflect an snow fall if we stay in my tent. Is it possible to stay warm in the shelter this time of year or are we better off in our bags inside the tent. I have two sleeping pads for both of us and bags rated of 0 degrees f have a couple liners to go in each bag as well. Stove water food boots all that is taken care of my biggest concern is will it be warmer in the shelter or a tent not really meant for winter.?

Lyle
12-11-2010, 23:32
Tent will be warmer, especially with two, but unless you get very unseasonable cold and wind, you sound like you will be warm whichever you decide. Even with unusual cold, you will be ok. If you choose the shelters, you may find it beneficial to rig the tarps over the open front of the shelter if wind/snow/rain is blowing in.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!

ec.hiker
12-11-2010, 23:43
Tent will be warmer, especially with two, but unless you get very unseasonable cold and wind, you sound like you will be warm whichever you decide. Even with unusual cold, you will be ok. If you choose the shelters, you may find it benficial to rig the tarps over the open front of the shelter if wind/snow/rain is blowing in.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks that was what I was thinking too the forcast isnt below freezing
except the first night we are there they do call for some rain a couple days but U have rain gear and cards in case we end up in the shleter/tent for a while

Speakeasy TN
12-12-2010, 05:56
Tuesday night will SUCK! But you're looking better for the back end! Good luck. Keep us posted!

TOW
12-12-2010, 09:03
Tuesday night will SUCK! But you're looking better for the back end! Good luck. Keep us posted!
They might even have a foot of snow to hike thru in some areas....:o

Blissful
12-12-2010, 09:11
Tent is always better for warmth.

Ladytrekker
12-12-2010, 10:37
On this topic when I was at Hawk Mountain Shelter in May the stream was not much more than a trickle does it freeze solid what about water sources when it is this cold do you encounter problems finding free flowing water this time of year?

Ladytrekker
12-12-2010, 10:38
My cousin and I are or going to hike from springer mountain to neels gap getting there tuesday leaving friday if we get to neels gap before friday or get there friday and feel like we want to go further we will keep on trucking until saturday or sunday. First trip in the winter super stoked I am bringing to extra tarps besides my ground cloth and haven't deided weather or not to stay in the shelter or my tent m tent is a three season I am thinking I can rig the extra tarp up to kind of deflect an snow fall if we stay in my tent. Is it possible to stay warm in the shelter this time of year or are we better off in our bags inside the tent. I have two sleeping pads for both of us and bags rated of 0 degrees f have a couple liners to go in each bag as well. Stove water food boots all that is taken care of my biggest concern is will it be warmer in the shelter or a tent not really meant for winter.?

If you are the only one there I would put the tent up in the shelter and have double the coverage.

ec.hiker
12-14-2010, 21:59
Had to bail on springer got a message saying 5 sobo hikers couldnt be shuttled off cuz the roads were covered in ice if they cant get down i cant get up so I am headed to the neusiok trail here in nc

Chif
12-15-2010, 16:46
Be sure to wear some blaze orange. It is still deer season and most other animals as well. At least with the temps in the teens, mosquitos and snakes should be no problem.

SLS