PDA

View Full Version : Benton MacKaye Trail to run thru Smokies

SavageLlama
12-17-2004, 20:58
Interesting alternative to the AT.. has anyone here hiked any of the BMT?

MacKaye Trail will run through the Smokies

By Charles Searcy
The Tennessean
December 16, 2004

Move over Appalachian Trail, there's a new path to follow in the Great Smoky Mountains.

Well, a new path, almost. An agreement authorizing the three-state Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT) to enter the park was recently signed by Park Superintendent Dale A. Ditmanson and Benton MacKaye Trail Association President Tom Keene.

Like the Appalachian Trail, the BMT will run the length of the park from southwest to northeast. It will enter the park in the southwest end off North Carolina Highway 28 at Twentymile Ranger Station, proceed for 102 miles, and exit the Smokies at Davenport Gap in the northeast, just south of Interstate 40. This will make the BMT the longest trail in the park, more than 30 miles longer than the Appalachian Trail.

The trail is named after Benton MacKaye, who conceived the concept of the Appalachian Trail running across many states in eastern America's dominant mountain range back in 1921. MacKaye, born in 1879 and who died 1975, was a noted forester, planner and conservationist.

The signing ceremony in Cherry Log, Ga., completes the last major right-of-way agreement for this trail that began in Georgia in 1980. This will make the BMT only the second interstate trail to enter the park, the famed Appalachian Trail being the other.

Friend retires: Clarence Coffey, whom I knew early in his career with the Tennessee Wildlife Re-sources Agency, has retired and gone to tackle his wife's (Bonita) honey-do list. For 35 years Coffey kept his head down and his eyes on the road. He went from a wildlife officer in Carroll County in 1969 to manager of Region 3, where he spent time as the assistant law enforcement supervisor in the Chattanooga area. He became the regional information and education coordinator in 1978 before becoming assistant manager and then manager in 1998.

"Looking back, I became aware of how very professional and capable my fellow agency personnel were," he said upon retiring. "This was something I realized even more after being gone."

The redhead has gone, but his mark on Region 3 will last a long, long time.

# # #

SavageLlama
12-17-2004, 20:59
http://www.bmta.org/

http://www.bmta.org/BMTOverviewMap.gif

MedicineMan
12-19-2004, 00:09
The ATC gives thru-hiker credit for those willing to take this new road less traveled....though reality is that this will be the harder road when elevation gained/lossed is considered. I and others have long preached the necessity of alternate AT routes to lessen the burden on the the current footpath.

With that said (to the choir?) I'm wondering who will build this trail? there are only so many willing to build trails, and as we found out this summer on the Cumberland Trail,it is a lot harder than hiking. So with volunteers working on the CT, the AT, the Pinhoti, the MTS and others, who will build the extension of the BMT?

I suggest those with idle time, those bored to death in the penal system.

Tha Wookie
12-19-2004, 13:10
Interesting alternative to the AT.. has anyone here hiked any of the BMT?

# # #
yes, I hiked 30 miles of a couple weeks ago in the Cohutta Mountains area, GA. Took some harrowing side trails into Jack's River Gorge and some other spots. It was the first time in thousands of miles that I went three days WITHOUT SEEING ONE PERSON (other than Adder, my companion)!

Eat your heart out, westerners! ;)

gardenville
12-19-2004, 14:01
http://www.bmta.org/

http://www.bmta.org/BMTOverviewMap.gif

This was approved about 6 years ago. I was a member of the BMTA at the time. It happened if I remember in or about Dec of that year. The club put the notice in its Newsletter. The trail in the GSMNP was to follow "current trail on the ground" but blazed also? with the BMTA White Diamond. I contacted the club to see when they were going to take it over and was told they had ?? years to take ownership of the new trail. At that time they didn't have the membership to take ownership and maintaine this new part.

The GSMNP - BMTA entry point was surveyed and I would guess it has has been constructed by now. Five or six years ago I helped survey some of that part and it was only a few miles long. It was on some power company land the club had a right of way thru.

Much of the BMT in the Cherokee and Nantahala National Forest is also on old trail.

With a total trail milage of about 250 (+/-) miles that translates to about one trail maintainer per mile. I was a trail maintainer for them and had the first section going north from Springer Mt, about 1.25 miles of trail. Sounds easy but the trail has 2 sides to it and the over-head part. This is a lot of work when the weeds are growing fast from spring and summer rain and then the ever possible ice storm in the winter. So the BMTA for 250 (+/-) miles of trail needs at least that many maintainers. I am sure they would like the help of anyone close to any part of their trail system.