PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Tent

SmokeEater
12-12-2010, 10:28
Looking to purchase a one man tarp tent. Not sure which one to get. Looking at the Contrail and the Sublite Sil. Any opinions on either? TY.

Ladytrekker
12-12-2010, 10:34
I am going to get the Moment. There is alot of info videos on you tube about tarptents good info there and on this website.

Tilly
12-12-2010, 10:35
There are many threads on WB regarding HS Tarptents, and the Contrail, Virga, other models, do a search and you will get good information.

I've used 1 & 2 person TT when backpacking for years now and they work great for me.

Good luck.

Spokes
12-12-2010, 10:39
I just bought a SMD Lunar Solo. It's got more room than the Hubba HP I thru'd with last year.

bigcranky
12-12-2010, 11:50
The Contrail is great, very versatile, uses a hiking pole for the central support. But I opted for the Moment because I prefer the door on the long side, rather than at my head. (I've owned a couple of other Tarptents with the front entry, didn't like it.) One added benefit of the Moment is that it sets up very quickly, and has a LOT of interior room.

In terms of design and construction, we've been very pleased with the products from Tarptent and Six Moons Designs. Great stuff.

Wise Old Owl
12-12-2010, 12:13
I am going to get the Moment. There is alot of info videos on you tube about tarptents good info there and on this website.

Here is the site

http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html

HeartFire
12-12-2010, 12:17
Have you looked at the new LightHeart Awning tent? http://www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com/) more room, better ventilation, double walled tent.
(disclaimer - I make them)

Old Hillwalker
12-12-2010, 12:26
I have a Shires Squall II for sale @ $115, half price. Has a small (repaired) hole in the front bug screening.

http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

10-K
12-12-2010, 14:35
It's been almost 5 hours - isn't someone going to suggest a hammock!?!?!

garlic08
12-12-2010, 14:58
I have not used the Sublite but I have many miles on my Contrail. One advantage I can see in the Contrail is the ability to leave the door open for ventilation in rain (when you pitch it in the right direction). Ventilation is important in a single-wall shelter. The Contrail also needs only one pole to pitch it, and you can order a pole from TT if you don't use hiking poles.

skinewmexico
12-12-2010, 15:26
I like my Moment a lot.

SmokeEater
12-12-2010, 16:07
It's been almost 5 hours - isn't someone going to suggest a hammock!?!?!
I have a hammock too.

Tinker
12-12-2010, 16:16
I like my hammock (but I did cheat on it and test a Lightheart Gear tent :D, suggesting some improvements [which have been implemented]). If you sleep hot and want a cool tent on summer nights I would suggest this one. You might even be able to use it in shelters on rainy, buggy nights with some creative rigging to keep it (mostly) out of the way of other hikers. The all mesh inner can't be beaten for cool comfort short of an air conditioner.
If you don't use hiking poles, check out The Moment, which a friend of mine just bought. Very impressive design and workmanship (as well as weight).

Rick500
12-13-2010, 01:11
I have a Moment and I can't really think of anything that I don't like about it.

garlic08
12-13-2010, 09:16
I have a Moment and I can't really think of anything that I don't like about it.

The Moment looks very nice. The only reason I don't go out right now and replace my Contrail is that large hoop pole. The beauty of the Contrail is it's utter simplicity--no poles to put together, take apart, or break. I think I'm a little shy about hoop poles because I've had two fail on me in my travels.

For now, I'm staying with the Contrail until it's useless. It'll be a tough decision when it comes time to replace it--the Moment looks so nice. And only two stakes!

Bags4266
12-13-2010, 10:42
I can't believe no one jumped on the Squall II for $115. Thats a steal!!!

inabag
12-13-2010, 16:47
I am very close to picking up a Moment myself. Looks to be a great tent.

marcet
12-13-2010, 17:30
I saw a number of people on the trail last year with the Contrail, didn't see anyone with the Moment.

Hammocks were by far more popular.

Daydream Believer
12-13-2010, 20:16
Add me to the list of very happy Moment owners!

Big Dawg
12-15-2010, 23:35
Add me to the list of very happy Moment owners!

ditto!!!!!

BrianLe
12-16-2010, 12:06
"I saw a number of people on the trail last year with the Contrail, didn't see anyone with the Moment."

The Contrail has been out for some years, whereas the Moment is fairly new. I did run into a couple of Moment owners at Trail Days in Damascus this year, one was thru-hiking.

I used my Contrail for most of the AT this year, or rather I should say I carried it for most of the AT --- started with a Gatewood Cape and switched fairly early on, but slept most often in shelters.

The Contrail is a great tent, I like it a lot.

My sense is that the Moment is a great tent too.

I'm nevertheless personally moving to a Lightheart Solo, one of Judy's new "awning enabled" versions, and I'm opting for a silnylon floor and cuben upper. My sense is that this will be a very nice "sweet spot" in terms of weight and functionality, better in humid/rainy situations, hopefully as good as the Moment in windy conditions (if enough stakes are used), wonderful in clear and buggy conditions. Not cheap with the cuben option (which is, however, just an option), but pro-rated on a per-day basis, not bad if used on even just one thru-hike I think.

Tinker
12-16-2010, 14:20
I saw a number of people on the trail last year with the Contrail, didn't see anyone with the Moment.

Hammocks were by far more popular.

That's because no matter how light, breathable, waterproof, quick pitching, etc, etc, etc, your tent is,
You STILL have to deal with sleeping on the ground.
My campsites are always level and my floor ;) never gets wet or muddy.
But there are some nice tents out there. I still own a Hilleberg Akto, though it's definitely NOT a warm weather tent (unless you buy the optional mesh liner).
I can vouch for the wind-worthiness of the basic single pole hoop style tent, though. The smoothness of the curve minimizes the flapping that heavy winds cause in flat sided tents. Snow loading (in the Akto) is a weak point, though, due to the broadness of the curve (a flat topped tent or one with slightly angled roofline would be worse, however). Knocking off the snow before it builds up too much is a must with my Akto.

Ramble~On
12-17-2010, 08:12
Looking to purchase a one man tarp tent. Not sure which one to get. Looking at the Contrail and the Sublite Sil. Any opinions on either? TY.

I have a few and in 2009 I found the Lightheart. I thru hiked with it and it was perfect. What I like most about it is that it's a double wall..the fly can be rolled up which is really nice when it's hot. With the fly down it's full coverage and a nice size vestibule. Weighs under two pounds and has more headroom than anything I've found that compares to it.
http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Solo.html

SmokeEater
01-27-2011, 13:17
Thanks for all the help. I went with the Contrail. I called the company and one of the designers really helped me out with making my mind up. Great people to work with. Now waiting for it in the mail. I did buy it from backcountrygear.com they had free shipping and tarptent could not match.

Graywolf
01-27-2011, 17:07
Im stuck in the Moment..