12-12-2010, 16:19
Backpack - ULA Ohm (Large)
Trash compacter bag liner
Z Packs Cuben Fiber Pack cover

Shelter - Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn
9 Titanium stakes w/ Cuben Fiber stuff sack
Tyvek Groundsheet

Sleep System - Western Mountaineering Ultralight Sleeping Bag 20*
Sleeping bag liner (I haven't bought one yet. Any suggestions?)
Thermarest Neoair (short)
Thermarest Z Rest (short)

Cook Set - Caldera Cone stove system
Snow Peak Trek 900 with Aluminum foil lid
MSR Spork
Soda bottle with Packa Feather fuel bottle kit
Mini Bic Lighter

Rain Gear - Dri Ducks Trail pac - Jacket and pants

Trekking Poles - Leki Thermolite AERGON

Knife - Gerber LST

Ligthing - Petzel E-Lite

Hydration - Katahdyn Hiker Pro
2 32oz Gatorade bottles
1.5 liter Evernew water bag

First Aid - 4 inches of duct tape
Couple of band aids
Ibuprofen

Bear Bag - MLD Cuben Fiber dry bag
50' Z Packs Z-Line Spectra Cord
Mini carabiner
Cuben Fiber rock bag

Clothing - Patagonia NanoPuff Pullover
REI Convertible Pants
Patagonia Capilene 3 top
Patagonia Capilene 1 top
PatagoniaCapilene Bottom
The North Face Men's S/S Flex Crew shirt
Smartwool Hiking Medium Crew Sock x2
The North Face Men's Denali Glove
2 Bandanas
Eddie Bauer 800-Fill down vest
Outdoor Research Men's Ullr Hat
Down Booties (Any suggestions?)
Z Packs Cuben Fiber stuff sack for clothes

Footwear - Merrell Boots switched to Trail runners in warm weather

Luxury/misc - Loose leaf paper for trail journal
Pencil
Sansa Clip+ MP3 player with ear buds
Digital camera
Casio Altimeter/Barometer/Thermometer Watch
Hand sanitizer
TP
Toothbrush (cut in half, of course)
Travel-size tube of toothpaste
Patch kit for sleeping pad
Extra coin batteries for watch and light
Zip lock bags

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Open to any suggestions. Start date is around lat February to early March depending on what the weather is doing.

Raul Perez
12-12-2010, 16:46
Down booties check out goosefeet down socks. They also have a shell which can turn it into a bootie which is an UL alternative.

So going chemical for water is out of the question? Aquamira drops at only 3 oz used them and I'm fine.

Don H
12-12-2010, 16:50
Trail guide?
Underwear? (optional I guess but I use exofficio boxer/briefs)

couscous
12-12-2010, 16:56
Down Booties (Any suggestions?)

Cocoon Silk Liner 4 ounces, Feather Friends down booties.

"I feel like I'm forgetting something..."
http://www.twchikers.com/theatguide2011.png

Chummin' for Bear
12-12-2010, 17:13
First, let me say that's a good looking gear list. I use a Cocoon silk liner and love it. TNF down booties have served me well. Your firstaid kit seems a bit light. Consider neosporin, bandaids, chapstick, vitamins, gold bond, etc. I never leave home without ear plugs since they weigh next to nothing and snoring is not an issue in shelters. I use potable aqua instead of filter. Cash, ID, & debit card? Good job.

Bags4266
12-12-2010, 17:14
On the bag liner a have a pair of Terrmar silk long johns they weigh 3 oz, for my top I wear any clean shirt. Reason being you will save one ounce (big deal) but you also have double duty of a piece of equip. Now you have a pair of silk long johns to wear if needed. Can't really wear a bag liner. Unless its Halloween and you want the condom look.

Luddite
12-12-2010, 17:16
Down booties check out goosefeet down socks. T
So going chemical for water is out of the question? Aquamira drops at only 3 oz used them and I'm fine.

I was actually looking at those ones.

I don't know about Aquamira. I know filters are bulky, heavy, and require maintenance, but I'm so OCD about my water. I'm really considering it though.

Underwear? (optional I guess but I use exofficio boxer/briefs)

Aren't Patagonia Capliene underwear?

Yes, thats what I was forgetting. I'm planning on getting the new thru hiker's guide.

thanks for the suggestions.

mountain squid
12-12-2010, 17:18
Some observations:

extra pr of socks
camp footwear
does water bag have drinking tube for drinking on the go?
4 inches of duct tape is not alot
needle (for draining blisters)
regular size lighter instead of mini
sunscreen (no leaves on trees)
maps
whistle
ear plugs
if no cell phone, don't forget important phone #'s

Concur:
Companion/Handbook

and, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Luddite
12-12-2010, 17:20
First, let me say that's a good looking gear list. I use a Cocoon silk liner and love it. TNF down booties have served me well. Your firstaid kit seems a bit light. Consider neosporin, bandaids, chapstick, vitamins, gold bond, etc. I never leave home without ear plugs since they weigh next to nothing and snoring is not an issue in shelters. I use potable aqua instead of filter. Cash, ID, & debit card? Good job.

Oh yea...I forgot about ear plugs for those windy nights under my Spinnaker tarp. Do you mean Goldbond foot powder? I hate that stuff. It turns into a creamy substance in your boots.

What are TNF down booties? Do you think the Cocoon liner really adds about 10 degrees?

ChinMusic
12-12-2010, 17:33
- One extra Gatorade cap. (I've lost a cap before)
- One shoe lace. (Been there too. Foot blistered from not being tied properly after one broke.)
- Some sort of lubricant such as body glide.
- 1/4-inch white tape (if your toes tend to blister)

Chummin' for Bear
12-12-2010, 17:36
The North Face (TNF) Down Booties. I have a 15-20* TNF Blue Kazoo and have been down to 8* with the silk liner so it adds 5-10* or warmth. I just like keeping the bag cleaner so it does not need washing as often. I was talking about Gold Bond cream in a tube not the powder. When it's hot, I have had good luck with body glide. Put it on your feet to control moisture and thus blisters.

BrianLe
12-12-2010, 18:12
"needle (for draining blisters)"

Not just for blisters: make this a sewing needle, use dental floss as thread to do field repairs of clothing, gear.

I suggest mittens rather than gloves --- warmer.

Consider a brighter lamp for the first month or so; that's what I did with a late Feb start this year, swapped to the same Petzl e+lite later on when days were a bit longer and less concern about possibly having to walk in the dark to get to shelter.

Don H
12-13-2010, 16:31
I'm assuming your Capilene is long underwear?

Amberalicia
12-13-2010, 18:51
On the bag liner a have a pair of Terrmar silk long johns they weigh 3 oz, for my top I wear any clean shirt. Reason being you will save one ounce (big deal) but you also have double duty of a piece of equip. Now you have a pair of silk long johns to wear if needed. Can't really wear a bag liner. Unless its Halloween and you want the condom look.

All I originally wanted to say is, huh?

Luddite
12-14-2010, 15:46
I'm assuming your Capilene is long underwear?

Yeah..I mean I didn't buy them yet, but yeah i consider them underwear.

Don H
12-14-2010, 18:49
I would think you need some regular underwear. You're not going to want to wear long underwear when it's 40 degrees out. If you get a day in the 50s you'll be sweating. Then chaffing starts and you won't be happy.

burntoutphilosopher
12-14-2010, 19:04
^^ i disagree i've been freeballin since about 1983, and never had a problem... never chafed,

caught myself in a zipper a few times.

Don H
12-15-2010, 08:57
To each his own...

"caught myself in a zipper a few times" WE GOT A BLEEDER!

Luddite
12-20-2010, 21:07
^^ i disagree i've been freeballin since about 1983, and never had a problem... never chafed,

caught myself in a zipper a few times.

With freeballin' you gotta worry about personal injury and indecent exposure...leaving your fly down.

Sassafras Lass
12-21-2010, 11:29
(I haven't bought one yet. Any suggestions?) Yes - the Cocoon silk liner, around 4 oz. - also keeps your bag clean.
Thermarest Neoair (short)

Cocoon Silk Liner 4 ounces, Feather Friends down booties.

Hey! Is this the same guidebook as shown @ 6:40 in this gear list? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOOXlO0xClc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOOXlO0xClc) The hiker never comments on which guide it is and we have both the Data Book and the Companion and neither of them show elevation like this book does, we want to get this one. Anyone know which book this is??

Luddite
12-21-2010, 12:31
Hey! Is this the same guidebook as shown @ 6:40 in this gear list? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOOXlO0xClc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOOXlO0xClc) The hiker never comments on which guide it is and we have both the Data Book and the Companion and neither of them show elevation like this book does, we want to get this one. Anyone know which book this is??

Its the AT guide by AWOL...

The Thru hiker's guide and AT guide are gunna be the same same guide next year. I think its still going to be called the AT Guide.

Black Wolf
12-21-2010, 14:42

here's another idea..also from Sea2Summit....
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24

Firefighter503
12-22-2010, 20:13
List looks good. Alot like mine. You have a nano puff and a down vest listed. You shouldn't need both, if they are both meant to be insulating layers.

Luddite
12-23-2010, 15:09
I'm gunna bring the vest so I have something to put on at the end of the day that isn't sweaty. It probably isn't needed but I'd rather have too many clothes than too little and I could always send it home if I don't need it.

Anyone know anything about Patagonia Capilene? Should I layer with Capilene 3 crew with capilene 2 or should I get Cap 1 and 2?

Firefighter503
12-26-2010, 10:54
You will rarely (if ever) need the insulated layer while hiking. I have a set of light weight underwear for hiking in, and a mid weight set for sitting around camp, and with the light weights, my rain jacket is usually enough to keep me warm while hiking (and its rare that I need even that). Definitely figure out what works for you, but I'd be willing to bet that you will send one or the other home sooner than later. :)

wvgrinder
12-30-2010, 12:55
I hope you have better luck w/ your Sansa Clip+ than I did. I've never gotten more that 5 hours out of the battery. I bought mine off of Amamzon & the claim was a 15 hour battery life. It seemed like the PERFECT backpacking player.

I'm now using a Sansa m250. It takes 1 AAA battery that lasts, at least, 25 hours. They're about 30 bucks.

Luddite
12-30-2010, 13:26
Definitely figure out what works for you, but I'd be willing to bet that you will send one or the other home sooner than later. :)

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I could always send my vest home at Neels gap I find I don't need it.

I hope you have better luck w/ your Sansa Clip+ than I did. I've never gotten more that 5 hours out of the battery. I bought mine off of Amamzon & the claim was a 15 hour battery life. It seemed like the PERFECT backpacking player.

I'm now using a Sansa m250. It takes 1 AAA battery that lasts, at least, 25 hours. They're about 30 bucks.

I'm probably gunna go with that one after reading all the reviews about the Sansa clip. I'd rather buy a battery than look for a computer to plug it into to charge. Its amazing how inexpensive mp3 players are these days.

Luddite
12-30-2010, 13:33
Plus, with the m250 you don't have to carry a USB cord around

Rocket Jones
12-30-2010, 13:44
I got an m250 for Christmas. The battery gives it an odd clunky shape but nothing to fret over. I'll probably fill mine with an audio book and then selected music.

Luddite
12-30-2010, 13:45
I got an m250 for Christmas. The battery gives it an odd clunky shape but nothing to fret over. I'll probably fill mine with an audio book and then selected music.

Has yours frozen at all? Some reviewers on Amazon are saying they freeze easily.

Rocket Jones
12-30-2010, 14:18
Haven't played with it much yet. So far, no freezing.