PDA

View Full Version : Sugarloaf Ski area & AT in Dec

Dirigo
12-12-2010, 17:11
Has anyone ever taken the lift at Sugarloaf ski resort (Maine) and hiked the AT north to Caribou Valley Road in winter? I know there is a ford of the Carabassett River, and some say it is a rock hop, but was wondering if anyone might be able to give any info. I will be staying at a condo at Sugarloaf around Christmas and would love to hike-snowshoe. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

dirigo

Pony
12-12-2010, 17:17
Not sure about in the winter but it was a rock hop across the river in August. My main concern would be the descent from Sugarloaf down to the river. As I recall it was treacherous to say the least. Then again, I've never done any winter hiking in Maine, so it may not be that bad.

woodsy
12-12-2010, 18:07
You need skis ON to ride the lift if i remember correctly.
It is quite steep in places going down to the river, but crossing it shouldn't be too bad(barring any rain storms) although the rock hopping will be icy.

Conditions on the trail will vary from snowy to icy and you probably won't see anyone else out there.

fiddlehead
12-12-2010, 18:52
I lived in Carabasset Valley one winter and went our a few times on the Bigelow side but didn't try what you want to do.
I would take an ice ax and probably step-in crampons or similar, maybe snowshoes depending on the snow level and how old it is.
Definitely tell someone your plans and that creek could be dangerous with ice although a spare pair of dry socks could be all that you would need.
I don't know that you'd get cell phone service in there. If not, have someone waiting for you anyway.
Good luck.
If they won't let you up without skis, I'd buy one of those $20 snowboards that i saw for kids and leave it up there or something.
Be careful.

mudhead
12-12-2010, 19:04
About a bazillion miles of area to snowshoe. Plenty of XC trails. Ask around once you get there.

Would be a drag to go to the thrash of getting down that to find a raging torrent. Much of the state has a flood watch up now. Not sure about that area.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/car/

Dirigo
12-12-2010, 19:06
Thanks for all the info. I have the snowshoes and crampons, and also some short skis, if needed to get on the lift. Just thought it would be fun to do some winter hiking while I am there. We will see how it goes?

dirigo

Dirigo
12-12-2010, 19:13
What about from Caribou Valley Road to Stratton, could that be done in winter?

dirigo

woodsy
12-12-2010, 19:50
The Caribou Valley Road becomes a snowmobile trail that time of year so you would likely
walk the four miles in to the AT, but yes the AT north over the Crockers is doable but again, not likely anyone else out there.
Take a look at the Bigelows across the highway from Sugarloaf , one of the premiere hiking mountains in maine in any season. Horns pond loop comes to mind , usually not too difficult depending on snow depth but has some traffic.

DLANOIE
12-12-2010, 19:56
The Caribou Valley Road becomes a snowmobile trail that time of year so you would likely
walk the four miles in to the AT, but yes the AT north over the Crockers is doable but again, not likely anyone else out there.
Take a look at the Bigelows across the highway from Sugarloaf , one of the premiere hiking mountains in maine in any season. Horns pond loop comes to mind , usually not too difficult depending on snow depth but has some traffic.

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Drive about a mile past the AT crossing on rte. 27. Turn right onto stratton brook pond rd..Drive to a large opening where you can park. be aware of snowmobiles...follow the fire wardens trail 1.6m to horns pond trail. then a steep but interesting 2.5m to col/leantos. If you have it in you, hike to the summit of south horn for a spectacular view in every direction. And follow the AT 4.2m SOBO back to your car.

Good luck and maybe I will see you out there!

David

walkin' wally
12-13-2010, 08:22
Has anyone ever taken the lift at Sugarloaf ski resort (Maine) and hiked the AT north to Caribou Valley Road in winter? I know there is a ford of the Carabassett River, and some say it is a rock hop, but was wondering if anyone might be able to give any info. I will be staying at a condo at Sugarloaf around Christmas and would love to hike-snowshoe. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

dirigo

I think it would be wise to pay close attention to the posts about the steepness of the descent to Caribou Valley during Winter conditions and your gear. I mean know how to stop a slide etc.
Just my opinion, beautiful area though.:sun

peakbagger
12-13-2010, 08:31
A long section of the trail between the backside of Sugarloaf and Caribou valley road is a loose steep talus slope. I suspect they have to do a lot of work every spring to repair slides that wipe out section of trail. Given the steepness and the lack of trees in this area it is probably prone to avalanches so if you do consider doing it, I would suggest that you get some training on how to predict and avoid avalanches, carry beacons and in general be real careful.

Dirigo
12-13-2010, 08:49
Thanks for all the info. I think I will just hike in from the road, to the Caribou Valley Road and back out. At least it will get me out on the trail.

dirigo

MEB
12-13-2010, 09:20
Check this site out for current trail conditions when you go....lots of folks get out on the Bigelows and Crockers in winter.

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/

Happy trails!

-MEB

neighbor dave
12-13-2010, 09:20
http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/me/

walkin' wally
12-13-2010, 10:01
Thanks for all the info. I think I will just hike in from the road, to the Caribou Valley Road and back out. At least it will get me out on the trail.

dirigo

That will be a nice hike. If there is much snow left after all this rain we are having today there will be some nice views. I imagine we will get a few inches of snow at least as the cold air returns. If you intersect the AT where it crosses the road in Caribou Valley you can see how steep the mountain is heading sobo. Carrabasset Stream will probably be roaring with the snowmelt.
Have a great time.

woodsy
12-13-2010, 11:25

dirigo

Take a hike into Crocker Cirque , only about 1 easy mile in from the CV road.
There is a beaver pond just beyond the campsite area, follow the stream up to it.

I think this pic of the cirque was taken in January 08

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9655&stc=1&d=1292253804

walkin' wally
12-13-2010, 12:03
Nice pic Woodsy:sun