PDA

View Full Version : Camping Along the Trail

gijoe728
12-12-2010, 19:22
I have been searching for an answer for days now but can't find one that's straight foward. If I don't want to make reservations at specific campgrounds on the trail i.e. New Hampshire, can I set up just off the trail or are there some kind of rules/laws against that. Thanks in advance.

4eyedbuzzard
12-12-2010, 19:32
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/2010_backcountry_rules_web.pdf

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/hiking/onfoot_1-4.pdf

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/hiking/onfoot_5-8.pdf

Gator 65
12-13-2010, 18:40
White mountains are somewhat difficult at the Huts. Work for pay will get you sleeping on the floor. $80.00 will get you a bunk if avail. Just plan your day to get below the tree line at the end of the day and you will have no problems. That White Mountain Club (not associated with ATC) will charge you $8-$9 at some of the ordinary shelters! When I lok back at my thru hike I see N.H. as beautiful, challenging but the most poorly marked part of the trail and that Club not too friendly towards thru hikers.

bigcranky
12-13-2010, 22:12
For a thru-hike you are required to make reservations for your campsites for each night at least 12 months in advance at the Reserve America web site -- just choose Appalachian Trail as the "park" in the list on the left side of the home page.

.....kidding. :sun

Some places have regulations about camping. But for most of the Trail, you can camp pretty much anywhere you can find a place to pitch your tent. When you get to the regulated places (Smokies, Shenandoah, White Mountains), you'll just deal with it -- no problem.

earlyriser26
12-13-2010, 22:17
Most places you can camp even if there is no camping. Just do it just before sundown and stay away from obvious places. Just leave no trace.

Sharkey
12-13-2010, 22:23
I remember reading where in parts of the Whites, you are encouraged to camp a few hundred feet away from the trail, a quarter of a mile from campsites and huts and a half mile from roads.

Wise Old Owl
12-13-2010, 22:27
I remember reading where in parts of the Whites, you are encouraged to camp a few hundred feet away from the trail, a quarter of a mile from campsites and huts and a half mile from roads.

Avoid bright colors & stay away from the roads. Pick areas behind thick bush like deer do.

Praha4
12-13-2010, 23:44
the great majority of thru hikers say the Whites were their least favorite part of the entire AT hike, because of the many reasons described herein. True the scenery and views are pretty. The "hut" experience for the hiker depends a lot on what crew is working the day you visit, and how many day hikers are there. You can be made to feel unwelcome, or you can luck out and enjoy the experience. The miriad of restrictions, rules, regulations in the Whites, along with high winds, rapidly changing weather, sensitive alpine ecosystems, etc, can make camping difficult in many locations. Most like to push on thru the Smokies and the Whites as quickly as possible becuz of similar reasons.

Chop
12-14-2010, 00:05
the great majority of thru hikers say the Whites were their least favorite part of the entire AT hike, because of the many reasons described herein. True the scenery and views are pretty. The "hut" experience for the hiker depends a lot on what crew is working the day you visit, and how many day hikers are there. You can be made to feel unwelcome, or you can luck out and enjoy the experience. The miriad of restrictions, rules, regulations in the Whites, along with high winds, rapidly changing weather, sensitive alpine ecosystems, etc, can make camping difficult in many locations. Most like to push on thru the Smokies and the Whites as quickly as possible becuz of similar reasons.

Interesting.. I have met so many people that have said that while a difficult hiking section of the AT, NH's White Mtns was one of their favorite parts. Actually, this summer I met a few thru hikers that did extra mileage and days in the whites as they were enjoying this part of the AT..

Camping in the White's may not be as easy as other portions where you can pitch your shelter 5 feet off the trail, but it is not crazy hard by any means. It does take more planning, but totally do-able.

Most likely, you will see far more day hikers and backpackers up in the Whites than thru hikers.

Budget in a few (2-4) $8 campsites, and it will piss you off less when you do have to pay.

I should add, I live in the Whites and love it..moved here for the backpacking, hiking, mtn biking etc.. that is so stellar up here.

emerald
12-14-2010, 01:06
Click below and read. I can't recite how many different jurisdictions exist along the A.T., but there are entirely too many for a simple one-size-fits-all answer. That's why guidebooks are published.

10-K
12-14-2010, 08:53
All I know is praise Allah that I got into the Whites in late May / early June before the main nobo bubble and was able to do work for stay every night before the croos were burnt out from working and dealing with thru hikers!

I was so tired by the end of the day and it would have been a logistical nightmare trying to find a place to camp every night were it not for being able to stay at the huts.

That's one really beautiful place I'll never visit again.... It's like GSMNP on steriods.

Disclaimer in deference to Chop's post above: If you live there it probably all makes sense. For someone just passing through, not so much.

On the plus side, I thought the trail was well marked in all places....I don't understand the complaints about the marking being confusing.

4eyedbuzzard
12-14-2010, 10:35
All I know is praise Allah that I got into the Whites in late May / early June before the main nobo bubble and was able to do work for stay every night before the croos were burnt out from working and dealing with thru hikers!

I was so tired by the end of the day and it would have been a logistical nightmare trying to find a place to camp every night were it not for being able to stay at the huts.

That's one really beautiful place I'll never visit again.... It's like GSMNP on steriods.

Disclaimer in deference to Chop's post above: If you live there it probably all makes sense. For someone just passing through, not so much.

On the plus side, I thought the trail was well marked in all places....I don't understand the complaints about the marking being confusing.

Inre making sense: Most of the AMC and RMC huts (many have been rebuilt) were in place before the AT was even conceived (some as early as the 1870's and 1880's, virtually all others by the end of the 1920's). Much of the trail system in the Whites dates to the same time and earlier. Some of the huts / shelters were built by the clubs, some were private camps that were donated or purchased, etc. Due to the alpine environment, it borrows ideas like the hut system from alpine mountain trekking in Europe (with a New England interpretation). The AT was routed over this existing trail network with its huts and shelters largely in place - not the other way around. As such, it is unique in that sense compared to the rest of the AT, and not likely to ever change. Those who critisize it are often unaware of the history of the trail system here and how it it was incorporated into the routing of the AT.