PDA

View Full Version : Finest folks on the trail

Pony
12-12-2010, 20:57
Not talking trail towns,though you may include trail towns if applicable. In general where were the nicest people you've met on the trail. In my trail experience nobody treated me better than the fine folks in Southwest and Central Virginia. I was treated well all along the trail, but this area in particular stands out as some of the best people I've met. The entire state of Maine is at a close second and honorable mention goes to Dalton Mass.

Pony
12-12-2010, 21:07
Oops, forgot about Vermont, they get third place.

Blissful
12-12-2010, 21:36
I must say I met great people throughout the hike! That's what makes the trail so special - the people.

Kel, the "Stickman"
12-12-2010, 22:36
Being from Maine, I'm sure, makes me a little partial to believing that the folks in Maine are wonderful to hikers... but in my 800 mile hike from Katahdin to Greymoor Friary in New York (2007), I found that the people ON the trail were the best... and they were from everywhere!

stumpknocker
12-13-2010, 09:20
Used to be Palmerton, PA, but Waynesboro, VA took it in '08 for me. VERY hiker friendly!!

garlic08
12-13-2010, 09:35
It's hard to pick out the finest of a fine set of people overall. But the most surprising to me was New York. I had this stereotype of rude people in my mind, and I couldn't have been more wrong. And the food!

4shot
12-13-2010, 10:59
Used to be Palmerton, PA, but Waynesboro, VA took it in '08 for me. VERY hiker friendly!!

Waynesboro, Va. was the hands down winner. Everything about that town was awesome including the trail angels who would pick you up at the trail, the church hostel, the Y, the library, etc. (and the Chinese buffett!!!)

Palmerton was great as well.Really had no bad experiences anywere including places like Kent or Salisbury that didn't have a great rep as being hiker friendly places. Oddly enough, was probably most let down by HF - town seemed more in tune with or geared towards tourists (outside of the ATC office).

Tenderheart
12-13-2010, 12:41
I would have to say Maine. All you had to do to hitch a ride was walk up to the edge of the road. Also, Honey and Bear at The Cabin in East Andover were the best. They provided help when I needed it the most.

litefoot 2000

TheCheek
12-13-2010, 14:34
honorable mention goes to Dalton Mass.

Was that whole town carried entirely because of Robert Byrd?

Memphis Tim
12-13-2010, 15:03
It's hard to pick out the finest of a fine set of people overall. But the most surprising to me was New York. I had this stereotype of rude people in my mind, and I couldn't have been more wrong. And the food!
About 98% of the people I met on trail were incredibly nice. If you ever feel you're losing faith in the human race, a hike on the AT will turn you around. I found the more you slowed down, the more likely you were to make connections.
This was the case in New Jersey. I was suffering from a bad case of giardia and I was forced to stop and recover but in doing so met some of the best people ever- the members of St. Thomas Church in Vernon, NJ who run a great hiker's hostel, trail angel Butch Cassidy and his dog Sundance- a retired cop from Bayonne, NJ and Dick Ludwig- the mayor of Unionville, NY who is the nicest SOB on the entire AT.

Pony
12-14-2010, 16:37
Was that whole town carried entirely because of Robert Byrd?

I stayed at Tom Lavardi's. He provided a lot for hikers. Laundry, shower, ice cream, ride to the outfitters, drove us to North Adams so we could slck pack over Greylock. And he absolutely refused to accept money from us.

Also on our way back into town from slackpacking, a group of about six people were in their driveway drinking beer, and invited us over. They even went out and got more beer. I just had an all around great time in Dalton.