PDA

View Full Version : Planning

C Seeker
12-13-2010, 08:11
How do you plan the trail for one to three people? I am planning on doing a mix of mail drops and grocery pick ups. I am also not doing motels or hotels, but only hostels(along with shelters acourse.) I'm not really sure how you plan the trail because you wouldn't know how you will feel each day. So that eleminates planning by shelters. So I figured you would then do it the section, and ust write down the shelters in the section. I'm not sure how else you would plan the trail :-? does anyone have any tips?
Thanks, C Seeker

Spokes
12-13-2010, 08:58
The short answer is plan for yourself not the group. That way if someone bails the rest of the plan doesn't crumble.

I'm not exactly sure what your asking about the sections but basically thru-hiking the AT consists of a series of 3-4 day hikes before resupply- sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Check out Baltimore Jack's fabulous re-supply article at this link (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content). It's dated but still relevant and he's working on an update for next year.

What I did each evening in camp was break out my guidebook and, factoring the terrain and mileage, pick a location to reach the next day. It may have been a shelter or good spot to pitch my tent. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll get in the swing doing this. The next thing to do is read ahead in the guidebook to start planning for a town stop and resupply. Piece of cake!

Hope this helps(?)

C Seeker
12-13-2010, 09:38
It does help a little bit, but how do you pre address your mail if you don't know where you will be then?Should I look at differnt places that accept mail drops and already address it then just call home to have them mail it 2 weeks before?

Spokes
12-13-2010, 10:02
You have a big window of opportunity when hiking........

Most post offices along the trail will hold "General Delivery" mail packages (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805573/k.6382/Resupply_and_Mail_Drops.htm) for 30 days (sometimes longer). Be sure to label them correctly (and include an ETA). Also write your real last name in bold black magic marker on two end sides so the postal clerks can easily spot your package sitting on a shelf.

Some hostels/hotels also hold mail packages but be sure to check first. The guidebooks will most often give you this information but a call is always a good idea.

If you decide on a maildrop location, you'll have to be there to accept it. Just work it into your hike plans. If you don't need the box you can "bounce" it forward free of charge (priority mail) as long as you don't take possession of the package at the counter. I only had one incident where a postal clerk argued with me about that and she made me pay to mail it forward. After that I would always announce "I'm not taking possession of this package, I want to send it ahead!". Never had another problem.

Check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67148) for a list of recommended mail drop locations.

Some hikers do more, some do less, some do none. I hiked with a girl who only had a handful of mail drops sent from home but she would sometimes grocery shop in trail towns then mail her food ahead on occasion. There's lots of options.

I had my girlfriend mail me food drops at a list of pre-determined locations about 7-14 days ahead of my expected arrival. That way I could call her and change up the contents of the box in case I needed too.

I know all this sounds very confusing but once you do it a couple of times on the trail you get the hang of it.

10-K
12-13-2010, 10:05
What Spokes said.....

I hike until I stop, then plan the next day. Of course, planning the next day also involves looking ahead a few more days past that.

You'll figure it out in about ... 1 day. :)

Hobbler
12-13-2010, 10:49
Spokes...It is truly amazing what picking your nose does to transform your body.....You look great!

I agree....Good advice for those Post Office visits but make sure that you also have I.D on you!

Spokes
12-13-2010, 11:05
Thanks Hobbler. That's my winter hiking friend. Of course she wears an extra pair of wool socks on the coldest days....

http://mrg.bz/jY4JQB

4shot
12-13-2010, 11:24
Good advice here and as has been said, you will figure it out rather quickly. My $.02...I like the idea of waiting about 10-14 days before you need your package to have it shipped if you are lucky enough to have someone do the resupply and shipping. That way the package can be customized to how fast you are moving and your change in food preferences which does happen. Also, imo it's best to use the businesses listed in the guide book rather than the post offices because you avoid the timeline pressure of getting to such and such town before the PO closes for the day/weekend. I never liked hiking with a deadline so to speak but others may not mind that. If you do pick a PO, try to pick a spot that you will be arriving at during the week.Good luck.

slingblade
12-13-2010, 11:36
For the most part, if you can make it to a post office or mail drop location, then you can make it to a grocery store. Then you havent dropped the money to mail the stuff.

Bags4266
12-13-2010, 11:50
Also if you send food don't send the heavy stuff such as GORP or gummie bears cliff bars etc, it cost a lot of money to ship which could be used in the grocery store. I usually send all my dehydrated dinners things I can't buy in the store.

Hobbler
12-13-2010, 11:54
Thanks Hobbler. That's my winter hiking friend. Of course she wears an extra pair of wool socks on the coldest days....

http://mrg.bz/jY4JQB

I thought that new avatar was your transformation...Too bad for you! Although getting hold up in a shelter with her isn't half-bad either.

However, with her dressed like that, You will always be warm....You must be hiking somewhere warm like Hawaii....How are you setting up your mail drops there?

Spokes
12-13-2010, 12:48
I thought that new avatar was your transformation...Too bad for you! Although getting hold up in a shelter with her isn't half-bad either.

However, with her dressed like that, You will always be warm....You must be hiking somewhere warm like Hawaii....How are you setting up your mail drops there?

Secretly.........

Spirit Walker
12-13-2010, 14:04
If you are planning to start with three unrelated people, remember that the group may split up along the way, either because of injury, boredom, or someone deciding they would rather go off by themselves or with another hiker. When we hiked, there were three women who worked together who started the trail. One wanted to hike at a different pace, so she split off. Later, another got involved with another hiker and she split off. When their prepacked maildrops were picked up, the first hiker had to seperate out food for one and then leave it for the other two. There were also gear issues when they seperated, because they had planned to stay together so only had one filter, a heavy tent, etc. Obviously, if you're talking family, that is less likely. Husbands and wives generally stay together unless one gets injured. Make sure your maildrops are not prepacked with food for three people. You aren't likely to need maildrops for all the towns along the trail. Many places have good groceries, so a maildrop is really unnecessary. Many hikers do all their food buying on the trail and only use maildrops for maps,medications and such.

beartripper
12-13-2010, 15:03
Get ready for the rates to increase again in Jan. of 2011. Good post above about not taking possession of the package. I was thinking a person might bargin shop on supplies and mail them as Gen. Del. and save money, but that may not be the case.
Retired Postmaster

Blissful
12-13-2010, 15:41
You can make a tentative listing of your drops you anticipate. The dates will change though, as will your food preferences, so make sure you have someone on the home front who is adaptable to both. Trying to do it all yourself ahead of time isn't a good idea for drops. Nor would I pack for anyone else in my drop unless it was a family member or spouse doing the hike or section with you (unless that friend is TOTALLY committed and eats the same as you). Its important to have a friendly soul willing to help you out from home. If you do end up delayed, most places will hold for a week or two. Any more than that and you should call and let them know.
See other threads with regards to the pros and cons of mail drops. Don't just take someone's word for it,but go with those who have been there multiple times with the drops and grocery store buying (I have done it both north and south). I found it much cheaper at times on the trail sending food I wanted then dropping three times the amount of money at convenience stores and pricey grocery stores with limited food choices to boot. Grocery store chains are your best bet for reasonable prices and good selection if you are buying on the trail.

Low Step
12-14-2010, 14:06
Like you said, it is difficult to plan the trail beforehand, because you don't know what the circumstances will be.

Here are some general guidelines:

MAILDROPS
Do maildrops that are close to the trail (within a mile or two)
Only put things in your maildrops that you can't get at a normal supermarket
Limit the size of them (maildrops are expensive and food is heavy, you don't want extra)
Post offices will forward your mail to another PO if you call them.

Also, you should test out your gear before you start your hike, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble later.

C Seeker
12-16-2010, 07:26
That makes a lot more since on how to plan, thank you everyone.

C Seeker
12-16-2010, 07:27
That makes a lot more since on how to plan, thank you everyone.

BrianLe
12-16-2010, 12:13
My general suggestion w.r.t. maildrops is to err on the side of less rather than more. I had 5 maildrops along the AT this year and that worked out well; I used five because I knew ahead of time what kind of shoes I wanted, and couldn't easily get them along the trail. And 5 boxes spread evenly worked out for getting 30-day supplies of a prescription med from home. Two of those boxes were "gear swap" boxes too, i.e., Pearisburg VA I swapped for less/lighter bag and clothing, and did some limited reverse swaps just before entering the Whites.

"I am also not doing motels or hotels, but only hostels"

Note that some motels/hotels are pretty cheap, particularly in the south. If split with one or even two others you might find some "motels" as cheap or cheaper than some hostels. I suggest that you don't set any categorical rules like this. And definitely stay at the Doyle hotel in PA.

Spokes
12-16-2010, 13:36

Note that some motels/hotels are pretty cheap, particularly in the south. If split with one or even two others you might find some "motels" as cheap or cheaper than some hostels. I suggest that you don't set any categorical rules like this. And definitely stay at the Doyle hotel in PA.

I agree with BrianLe. You'll have a "trail family" (likely several along the way) before you know it, which makes splitting motels easy.

Yes, yes, yes on the Doyle. The best hiker box found on the trail last year was there too!

Tinker
12-16-2010, 14:10

I have a picture of myself somewhere with one of those picks through my head!
Darned if I can find it, though, my memory hasn't been the same since.
I can't figure out, to save my soul, why, though. :confused:;)

RaoulDuke
12-20-2010, 12:35
No planning is better planning. Start hiking and let yourself go.