PDA

View Full Version : Money Matters

Sassafras Lass
12-13-2010, 10:54
So . . . . with that great article from Weathercarrot in mind and not seeing a specific thread for this concern elsewhere, and with the intention of not comparing who has the most $$ saved up, this is still a concern of ours.

Due to many things, DH and I have not saved up nearly as much as we thought we would. As it stands now (we have to go over our budget again tonight) we will have barely $2,000 per person for the trail. That includes ALL food, possible nights @ hostels, gear replacement, etc. We don't drink/smoke so no extraneous money there.

Is it unreasonable to think that $4,000 will sustain us for 5-6 months? How much are you guys expecting to spend?

Sassafras Lass
12-13-2010, 11:04
Would like to mention that we're having a relative drive us down to Springer (paying for gas, at least half depending on their kind refusal) so about $200 there - still a sight cheaper than 2 plane tickets/train tickets, plus no need for a hotel or shuttle . . . .

hobbs
12-13-2010, 11:06
If you read through alot of the journals and such. You will see alot of people have done it on 2000. Like you say you both have. If you dont go crazy in a town and by all the do dads and crap. I think you should do alright. Are you buying food as you go or are you doing drops as well or a mix?

DapperD
12-13-2010, 11:49
If you plan to go and understand you will need to enjoy a Spartan journey, attempt to hike on the cheap, spending the majority of your time on the trail hiking and camping, and not going into town for the creature comforts, then maybe you will be able to. I think, however, it would be wise to have extra money in reserve, just in case. Otherwise your thru-hike may wind up turning in to one long section hike:-?.

4eyedbuzzard
12-13-2010, 11:50
I'm just thinking outloud here, but the areas that would concern me the most are unforeseen medical / dental / injury expenses, gear replacement (boots and socks come to mind especially, but also other major items like tents can get ripped up / fail, and thru's often change out some of their gear if they find it isn't as suitable as they thought), lodging expenses if weather forces you off the trail (what's your start date?), and transportation expenses if you have to take a break for family issues or obligations (medical, death, weddings, etc). The medical expense possibility is hard to put any numbers on, either from a probability or financial standpoint. Obviously, insurance helps. Most probably just roll the dice on actually planning for this possibility though.

Sassafras Lass
12-13-2010, 12:10
If you read through alot of the journals and such. You will see alot of people have done it on 2000. Like you say you both have. If you dont go crazy in a town and by all the do dads and crap. I think you should do alright. Are you buying food as you go or are you doing drops as well or a mix?

We're buying it all as we go. I know there is some convenience to doing maildrops, but we're not taking a cell phone (as we don't have one) and I'd have no reasonable way to call a post office if we were behind schedule or anything of the sort. Plus, I'd flip my lid if food I already paid for got lost in transit.

I'm just thinking outloud here, but the areas that would concern me the most are unforeseen medical / dental / injury expenses, gear replacement (boots and socks come to mind especially, but also other major items like tents can get ripped up / fail, and thru's often change out some of their gear if they find it isn't as suitable as they thought), lodging expenses if weather forces you off the trail (what's your start date?), and transportation expenses if you have to take a break for family issues or obligations (medical, death, weddings, etc). The medical expense possibility is hard to put any numbers on, either from a probability or financial standpoint. Obviously, insurance helps. Most probably just roll the dice on actually planning for this possibility though.

Figuring for gear replacement, but had not thought about getting home for a family emergency :( - we will have to deal with that as it comes, I suppose. We're leaving March 14th tentatively - however we have the flexibility to stay another week or two to work and save that $$.

If you plan to go and understand you will need to enjoy a Spartan journey, attempt to hike on the cheap, spending the majority of your time on the trail hiking and camping, and not going into town for the creature comforts, then maybe you will be able to. I think, however, it would be wise to have extra money in reserve, just in case. Otherwise your thru-hike may wind up turning in to one long section hike:-?.

This trip is very much a challenging nature trip for DH and I; towns for us are only to resupply food and snack on a ribeye with mashed potatoes, we're only passing through to get to more trees :p

DapperD
12-13-2010, 12:15
This trip is very much a challenging nature trip for DH and I; towns for us are only to resupply food and snack on a ribeye with mashed potatoes, we're only passing through to get to more trees :pGreat! But you better make that a burger and fries instead:D!

Carbo
12-13-2010, 12:20
Would like to mention that we're having a relative drive us down to Springer (paying for gas, at least half depending on their kind refusal) so about $200 there - still a sight cheaper than 2 plane tickets/train tickets, plus no need for a hotel or shuttle . . . .

Is your relative driving you non-stop down and non-stop for their return trip back? Seems there may be more than just gas, maybe a motel plus their expense for food, tolls, etc. The reason I'm asking is I'm faced with the same issue, but flying with gear is a hassle, shuttles, hostels, or possibly sending gear ahead all add their own cost/problems. So the extra expense of driving may be best to eliminate many variables (?).

Curious what others have to say...

Sassafras Lass
12-13-2010, 12:37
Great! But you better make that a burger and fries instead:D!

Lol - well, a ribeye once a month, I don't think DH would let me get one every 3-5 days!

Is your relative driving you non-stop down and non-stop for their return trip back? Seems there may be more than just gas, maybe a motel plus their expense for food, tolls, etc. The reason I'm asking is I'm faced with the same issue, but flying with gear is a hassle, shuttles, hostels, or possibly sending gear ahead all add their own cost/problems. So the extra expense of driving may be best to eliminate many variables (?).

Curious what others have to say...

It's about 11 hours to get to Springer - drive straight down mid-day, taking shifts driving and sleeping - and since it'll likely be my mom and she won't accept our paying for a hotel room for her or even food, we'll at least be using our car and paying for gas, partial if not full.

I like flying but yeah - I'm not trusting my hiking gear to a harassed airline. "What do you mean my bag is in Newark?!"

hobbs
12-13-2010, 12:47
We're buying it all as we go. I know there is some convenience to doing maildrops, but we're not taking a cell phone (as we don't have one) and I'd have no reasonable way to call a post office if we were behind schedule or anything of the sort. Plus, I'd flip my lid if food I already paid for got lost in transit.

Figuring for gear replacement, but had not thought about getting home for a family emergency :( - we will have to deal with that as it comes, I suppose. We're leaving March 14th tentatively - however we have the flexibility to stay another week or two to work and save that $$.

This trip is very much a challenging nature trip for DH and I; towns for us are only to resupply food and snack on a ribeye with mashed potatoes, we're only passing through to get to more trees :p
sounds like you both have thought of a good option of staying a little longer and makeing a safty net in cash. Honest thats a great idea! I am hikeing NOBO and then flip flopping because I live in a trail town here in Virginia. Sounds Like your realistic and you have a great idea's for both of you. Yeah traveling by plane sucks now. If you look at the images on the left in my profile window this is the town I live in and its all the facilities and stuff. Trying to help anybody i can because we all are going to have to help each ther one way or another at times. LOL

The Solemates
12-13-2010, 13:15
we did it for $5000 (or $2500 per person) watching what we spent, but we certainly were not overly frugal. we did have free transpo both to and from the trail though.

Bags4266
12-13-2010, 13:19
I had to read this twice. You have $2,000 per person, also paid for is your food, and hostel stays? Do I have that right? If so, being you don't smoke or drink I think you will be fine. If you have to pay for food and hostels from the 2k then it will be tight.

Tuxedo
12-13-2010, 13:22
Lol - well, a ribeye once a month, I don't think DH would let me get one every 3-5 days!

I always did a ribeye or delmonico for most state line crossings, the NH crossing has a co-op on the trail in Hanover and bought the steak and hiked about 10miles north and cooked in the pit at the shelter that night... best steak of my life I tells ya. Bought a bean salad at the deli and cooked up some insta potatoes, no fork or knife used stick for tongs and picked it up and ate it with my fingers. cost about $10-11 for 1 and considered buying a bottle of wine and emptying it into my Nalgene.

ShakeyLeggs
12-13-2010, 13:23
Also I see you did not mention how you will get home from the trail. Is that paid for is it coming out of the 2k per person?

Sassafras Lass
12-13-2010, 13:37
we did it for $5000 (or $2500 per person) watching what we spent, but we certainly were not overly frugal. we did have free transpo both to and from the trail though.

That sounds promising - unless your $2,500 didn't cover trail food, hostels, gear replacement. Are you the folks that wrote the book? I had seen it on Amazon and meant to pick it up.

I had to read this twice. You have $2,000 per person, also paid for is your food, and hostel stays? Do I have that right? If so, being you don't smoke or drink I think you will be fine. If you have to pay for food and hostels from the 2k then it will be tight.

Sorry to not be more clear - that $2,000 is to buy us food, possible hostel stays, gear replacement. Thus my husband freaking out. :o This is a wilderness walk for us so we're avoiding hostel/hotel stays as much as possible - don't know how much that will help.

Also I see you did not mention how you will get home from the trail. Is that paid for is it coming out of the 2k per person?

My husband's father said if we finish the trail he will gladly drive out and pick us up. That's an offer I can't refuse. :)

Sassafras Lass
12-13-2010, 13:39
I always did a ribeye or delmonico for most state line crossings, the NH crossing has a co-op on the trail in Hanover and bought the steak and hiked about 10miles north and cooked in the pit at the shelter that night... best steak of my life I tells ya. Bought a bean salad at the deli and cooked up some insta potatoes, no fork or knife used stick for tongs and picked it up and ate it with my fingers. cost about $10-11 for 1 and considered buying a bottle of wine and emptying it into my Nalgene.

Yeah, I'm already fantasizing about packing steak into the mountains in GA and TN those first few weeks - can you say 'foodgasm'? :p

Carbo
12-13-2010, 13:54
I like flying but yeah - I'm not trusting my hiking gear to a harassed airline. "What do you mean my bag is in Newark?!"

Funny you mentioned "Newark". That's where I would likely fly from, if I had to fly. Standard delay there is 1 hour + 1 hour on tarmac + 1 hour from parking area +1 hour in security if its busy (maybe exagerating by a few min). I'd rather walk to Springer!

hobbs
12-13-2010, 13:56
I will be honest with you. Your going to want to stay atleast once or twice at a hostel or hotel. Roughing it is great and all. But even in the Miliatary they switch you in out of the field to get a hot shower and some good sack time. You have to have a little break atleast on the trail. I would reccomend ordering your guide and then figure out. Some break time based on the information provided about the towns. It helps metally as well as physically. My personal experiance about this goes way beyond backpacking.

10-K
12-13-2010, 13:56
I don't know that I've ever seen this mentioned but it's so obvious it probably has and I've just missed it......

One way to make a hike less expensive is to hike more mileage per day.

By hiking just 3 extra miles a day you save 270 miles over 3 months - that's 270 miles you didn't have to spend extra for.

hobbs
12-13-2010, 13:57
Funny you mentioned "Newark". That's where I would likely fly from, if I had to fly. Standard delay there is 1 hour + 1 hour on tarmac + 1 hour from parking area +1 hour in security if its busy (maybe exagerating by a few min). I'd rather walk to Springer!
where you from on the shore? I grew up in Atlantic Highlands

Carbo
12-13-2010, 14:03
No kiddin! I'm in Middletown.

Carbo
12-13-2010, 14:05
where you from on the shore? I grew up in Atlantic Highlands

Was just there at a restaurant this past Friday! "Off the Hook"

Bags4266
12-13-2010, 14:06
Moby Dick's , Trade Winds, Donavan's Reef, Ichabod's Running the gauntlet after hours along Ocean Blvd. Cop's always stopping someone. Ahhhh the Jersey Shore

hobbs
12-13-2010, 14:06
Yeah i have a couple of friends that are Middletoen cops from highschool. i herd the area has changed alot now. I dont think I would recognise it. Where at in Middle town?

hobbs
12-13-2010, 14:07
jeez it gets to be a small world the older I get

Carbo
12-13-2010, 14:09
By H.S. North near "the junction".

Lilred
12-13-2010, 14:13
Remember, it's cheaper in the south than in the north, so you got to conserve that money right from the get go. Once you get north of the mason dixon line, things get real expensive.

hobbs
12-13-2010, 14:13
yeah I know cool. hey did you order a guide yet? honest if you havent I would. You need it because it lay's out the towns better than this . I live off the AT here and hike it all the time and I am going NOBO flip flop. It will help with alot of things.

Charlie D
12-13-2010, 14:23
Work for stay is something that I have not seen mentioned.

I did not try it but I had heard of it and a friend of mine, that I hiked with this spring, had to lay up in Erwin because of an injury. I KNOW he did work for stay.

It might not work out every time but certainly would not hurt to ask. What's to loose?

Sassafras Lass
12-13-2010, 14:24
yeah I know cool. hey did you order a guide yet? honest if you havent I would. You need it because it lay's out the towns better than this . I live off the AT here and hike it all the time and I am going NOBO flip flop. It will help with alot of things.

We ordered a few books - we have the "Thru-Hiker's Companion" (2010 edition, not sure if we'll buy an '11 or not) as well as the Data Book. We haven't drawn up an intinerary yet.

I know we'll have to stay in a hostel now and then - just really hoping to keep that to a minimum. We did hostels in Europe and they were fun and all, but when I go back I want to backpack and really be out in nature.

Sassafras Lass
12-13-2010, 14:25

I did not try it but I had heard of it and a friend of mine, that I hiked with this spring, had to lay up in Erwin because of an injury. I KNOW he did work for stay.

It might not work out every time but certainly would not hurt to ask. What's to loose?

My husband just brought that up 2 nights ago - hey, I'll wash some dishes or muck a stall for a few bucks!

hobbs
12-13-2010, 14:28

This is a great idea. I heard alot of people do this in the whites because its expensive. They pretty much cormer you their. I heard their is alot of up dates to the new companion this year. But also check the other At site they have some new info already posted.

Blissful
12-13-2010, 15:55
$4000 per person without gear is a good figure to go on.
No way would I do it for $2000. And as a married couple, staying at hostels, in shelters, etc can get old real quick. :) Esp when you are cold, wet, hungry, tired, frazzled, etc. the motel is gonna look real good. The nature thing will wear off in a week or 2 with sleet, rain, etc guaranteed.

If you think how much your food and expenses run per month now you can see why hiking the AT is cheap. Maybe take some of the budget from those monthly expenses you won't have on the homefront.

Blissful
12-13-2010, 15:59
My husband just brought that up 2 nights ago - hey, I'll wash some dishes or muck a stall for a few bucks!

Yeah but with the Whites and AMC huts, if you come in and they already have their roster of thru hikers filled, you'll still have to chip in money to even stay on the floor. It depends on the croo. I wouldn't count on freebies or work for stay at hostels. If it works out great. But many a hiker have had to abandon their hike b/c they ran out of money. I'd save first and hike later. Unless you considered doing your hike in 2 different segments (years) etc which is fine also. The you are good to go for the first part.

The Solemates
12-13-2010, 16:16
[QUOTE=Gheparda;1079235]That sounds promising - unless your $2,500 didn't cover trail food, hostels, gear replacement. Are you the folks that wrote the book? I had seen it on Amazon and meant to pick it up.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

that covered everything but transpo to/from trail because it wasnt needed. we lived only 1.5 hrs from springer (negligible cost), and family caravanned to bring us home from Maine. we already owned all our gear, and had already bought 3 pairs boots each beforehand.

that $5000 number included $1500 worth of mail boxes we made beforehand as well. so the actual "on-trail" amount we spent was $3500. we didnt replace anything during the hike - stove went out in nh but the outfitter gave us a new one for free.

however, $5000 figure did not include short term medical insurance, which was around $1200 for both of us, nor does it include a $600 doctor's bill we had in vt.

frankly, I wouldnt hike the trail with only $4000, but its doable. we had $10,000 saved up as a safety net - just happened to use only half.

we didnt write a book - we had our trailname first and they stole it :)

sbhikes
12-13-2010, 16:48
I think you will be fine. You could run out of money but so what? You will have spent a lot of time on the trail and have enjoyed yourself. Do what you can, be as frugal as you can, and trust that you will have what you need.

TheChop
12-13-2010, 18:10
I will be honest with you. Your going to want to stay atleast once or twice at a hostel or hotel. Roughing it is great and all. But even in the Miliatary they switch you in out of the field to get a hot shower and some good sack time. You have to have a little break atleast on the trail. I would reccomend ordering your guide and then figure out. Some break time based on the information provided about the towns. It helps metally as well as physically. My personal experiance about this goes way beyond backpacking.

What this man said is true. If you haven't done any longer trips before of say a week plus it's easy to say you'll just camp out and not worry about creature comforts. It's another thing entirely if you've been hiking in a cold rain for two days straight at the end of seven days on the trail. I would get a companion or a data book, look up the cheapest hostels, space them appropriate amounts apart, keep in mind and have no illusions about just how much it's going to suck camping on the ground for 15-20 night stretches.

Backpacking is the art of making do and you can certainly make do on 4,000 between two people especially since you'll be splitting the bill when appropriate but just make sure you know what to expect and have some plan to get you 2175 on that 4,000.

Just starting off from Springer and saying, "Well we got four grand that should do!" is a recipe for bleeding money and an incomplete trip. Having a budget to let you gauge progress and know when you can splurge and when you can't is the way to get it done.

Amberalicia
12-13-2010, 18:27
I think you will be fine. You could run out of money but so what? You will have spent a lot of time on the trail and have enjoyed yourself. Do what you can, be as frugal as you can, and trust that you will have what you need.

That sounds like sound advice.

writeronthestorm
12-13-2010, 20:03
I'm glad this topic was brought up because I was thinking about it at work today after finishing "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail", by David Miller. At the end of the book he offers advice for thru-hiking the AT and says that you should have at least $5,000... I was planning on bringing around $2,500 so understandably It was a little disconcerting getting that advice. I could wait until next year and just save up more money.. but dammit!! I don't want to wait!

4eyedbuzzard
12-13-2010, 21:40
I know we'll have to stay in a hostel now and then - just really hoping to keep that to a minimum. We did hostels in Europe and they were fun and all, but when I go back I want to backpack and really be out in nature.
$4000 per person without gear is a good figure to go on. No way would I do it for $2000. And as a married couple, staying at hostels, in shelters, etc can get old real quick. :) Esp when you are cold, wet, hungry, tired, frazzled, etc. the motel is gonna look real good. The nature thing will wear off in a week or 2 with sleet, rain, etc guaranteed.

Out of your $4000, comes lots of stuff - batteries, stove fuel, laundry, TP, sunscreen, bug juice, lip balm, hygiene items (toothpaste, fem supplies), and of course lots of food, more than you eat at home, to fuel your hungry hiker appetite. All at higher prices because of the fact that you can't buy in bulk, shop around, use coupons, or wait for sales. It all adds up quickly, especially at some of higher prices in small stores. And then all along the trail there are things that are impossible to resist - like those blackberry milkshakes in SNP.

And even though you want to "really be out in nature", you'll likely want to bathe too, and more often and more thoroughly than you will get to on the trail itself. Yeah, you'll be able to at some trail towns and campgrounds for a reasonable fee, and you can wash enough to be "hiker repectable" in the woods, but many times the only way you're going to be able to get a nice long hot shower is to stay in a hostel or hotel / motel. Maybe every once in a while you get a decent, but hardly luxury, motel room for a night because maybe it's raining and you're wet and cold, or you're hot and sweaty, your sleeping bag is damp, your clothes reek, and your body and mind just need a break from the trail - and just maybe you'll even want some "quality time" in a real bed with your (now after bathing) nice smelling SO. So you have dinner at a reasonably priced restaurant and do your laundry. And you have breakfast the next morning before getting back on the trail. Cha-ching, you just burned through somewhere between $100 to $150 of your combined budget for the week (and you didn't hit the grocery store yet). I would venture that you'll want to do this a lot more than just two or three times over the course of 5 to 6 months. You could easily spend anywhere between $1200 to even $2000 on lodging and town meals staying in hostels / motels only twice a month.

$4000 for two is a really tight budget. On a per person basis for a 6 month thru-hike it's $11 per day / $77 per week / $154 combined per week (all that math and accounting stuff nobody likes to do). Which is why a faster hike was suggested. Going to 5 months helps some, but you're still only looking at $186 / week combined. Not a lot of money in 2011.

It's a bit discouraging, but everything - food, hostels, motels, shuttles, even laundromats has become very expensive. You're setting a budget for a very frugal hike. Not that it can't be done - it can. There are lots of really frugal hikers. But there's also lots of good reasons that so many experienced thru-hikers quote somewhere around that $4000 per person figure when asked, "How much does it cost to thru-hike?"

johnnybgood
12-13-2010, 22:27
I've not yet thru hiked , but ... I say go hike , and enjoy the experience. If you begin to worry about having enough money ...or not having enough money , suddenly the euphoria of being on the trail , doing what you dreamed about has now become lost.

Hike till the money runs out... save up more money , and hike again.

Hakunamata ! :sun

garlic08
12-14-2010, 10:56
Excellent point from 10K about a fast hike being a cheap hike. Staying away from towns will pick up your speed, which will save money per se.

You don't show your ages, but youth has its advantages in saving money. When my wife and I were in our twenties and thirties, we would go on wilderness trips and average only one indoor stay per month. Our longest stretch was 40 days without a roof. Now we're a little softer and have more funds and that frequency is more like once a week.

We met one younger hiking couple who hiked the AT and PCT without a single night under a roof and ate very frugally, buying as they hiked. They also had family support with transportation. I don't know their budget, but I bet it was lower than yours.

Don't be overly concerned with emergencies. My experience is that the trail is the healthiest, safest place I've ever been. You tend to stay strong and alert out there.

Indi
12-14-2010, 11:57
I'm glad this topic came up, and I'm even happier to see some old hands throwing in their advice. I'll have a little more than y'all will, about 3500, but still well under the "recommended" amount. And I'd prefer not to come home with zero dollars in my account...

I love weathercarrot's article, and his advice has been echoed by virtually everyone - stay out of towns as much as possible - hike in, resupply, hike out, camp. I'm sure that's much easier said than done!

OTOH, I think I'll be going by johnnybgood's advice - I don't want to rush my hike, and if I run out of money - well, then I do. I'll still have gotten an incredible experience out of it. But I think with some smart budgeting and self-control in towns, we'll be ok on both my budget and on yours...

Sassafras Lass
12-14-2010, 12:19
Thank you for all of your insight and points to consider - we're going regardless of how much we've managed to save - we'll see where the trail takes us! (hopefully to Katahdin :))

Sassafras Lass
12-14-2010, 12:23
Excellent point from 10K about a fast hike being a cheap hike. Staying away from towns will pick up your speed, which will save money per se.

You don't show your ages, but youth has its advantages in saving money. When my wife and I were in our twenties and thirties, we would go on wilderness trips and average only one indoor stay per month. Our longest stretch was 40 days without a roof. Now we're a little softer and have more funds and that frequency is more like once a week.

We met one younger hiking couple who hiked the AT and PCT without a single night under a roof and ate very frugally, buying as they hiked. They also had family support with transportation. I don't know their budget, but I bet it was lower than yours.

Don't be overly concerned with emergencies. My experience is that the trail is the healthiest, safest place I've ever been. You tend to stay strong and alert out there.

Thanks - we're in our mid-twenties. The idea of hiking the whole AT without room/board is very appealing to my husband - I'm along for the ride except our wedding anniversary, maybe we'll splurge for a room that night :D

Sassafras Lass
12-15-2010, 12:13
I actually hadn't considered that - I discussed it with my husband last night and he rather liked the idea - I guess I'll have to see if my knees agree when we're on the trail :p

I don't know that I've ever seen this mentioned but it's so obvious it probably has and I've just missed it......

By hiking just 3 extra miles a day you save 270 miles over 3 months - that's 270 miles you didn't have to spend extra for.

hobbs
12-15-2010, 12:57
I actually hadn't considered that - I discussed it with my husband last night and he rather liked the idea - I guess I'll have to see if my knees agree when we're on the trail :p
Just enjoy your surroundings also. I wouldn't want either of you to feel you have to make that mileage just to save money.But it can be done but thats leaveing earlier in the morning and trekking later at times. Thats just a consideration your both going to have to factor in. But like people say just go and when it runs out. It runs out. You can always return to the trail again. Some other time and pick up where you left off.:)

Jeff
12-15-2010, 13:03
It was mentioned earlier....and I have to agree that buying replacement shoes, socks and other gear that just isn't right for long distance backpacking is a big hit to the trail budget.

I drive many of our guests to the local outfitters and they spend alot of bucks on replacement gear.

10-K
12-15-2010, 13:19
It was mentioned earlier....and I have to agree that buying replacement shoes, socks and other gear that just isn't right for long distance backpacking is a big hit to the trail budget.

I drive many of our guests to the local outfitters and they spend alot of bucks on replacement gear.

Jeff - where are you located in Manchester Center? I have nothing but praise for The Mountain Goat who helped me tremendously and even gave me 2 shuttles, 26 miles each, and tried to do it free.

Manchester Center is my all-time favorite trail stop... I stayed 2 nights and almost cried when it was time to go. Sutton's Place, Up for Breakfast, the bookstore w/coffee shop, Cristos and the place that mailed back tons of gifts for my family at cost - great memories. I even hung out at the donut shop next to the laundrymat for a while.

Oh, and who could forget the ladies at the healthfood store who made me a care package of goodies and gave it to me.

Great, great town.

Blissful
12-15-2010, 13:35
Stayed at Jeff's hostel on my SOBO, great place and great guy!

hybridizedorbit
12-15-2010, 21:30
I just finished my thru this year and i would recomend 4 to 6 thousand. You can do it on way less but why would you? You'll be thinking about this trip for the rest of your life...everyday...constantly...wishing for nothing more than to be back on the trail...make the most of it, go for it! -Parachute

hobbs
12-17-2010, 22:42
Thanks - we're in our mid-twenties. The idea of hiking the whole AT without room/board is very appealing to my husband - I'm along for the ride except our wedding anniversary, maybe we'll splurge for a room that night :D
I have an option that I found and you might be intersted in. http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/12/17/atc-ridgerunner-html checkout the article and you make a decission.

George
12-27-2010, 19:36

always my point when folks ask about $ per mile hiked it should be $ per day of hiking

mweinstone
12-27-2010, 21:46
hitch to cheaper larger stores for resupply and forgo the conveinent local stores.

buy circus peanuts and off brand snacks as sugar is sugar and need not be name brand.

dont replace ziplocks untill they are old and useless.

dry berries in the sun on a day off and eat hiker box food alot.

eat crayfish from streams and make sasafrass tea rather than coffie

Blissful
12-27-2010, 21:59
Circus peanuts! I ate those as a kid. Neat idea

George
12-27-2010, 22:19
I want to follow the circus with matty eating only the circus peanuts

gillbilly
01-29-2011, 16:41
Amtrack from Ma. to gainesville Ga $134.00 shuttle 75.00(plus night in hostel) cheap enough...arrives in gville 7AM .....cheeper than gas

Gipsy
01-29-2011, 16:58
Maybe take on the mentality of "We are gonna aim for a thru hike and see how far we can get if we are frugal with $4000." Even a partial through hike is better than none. And if you do succeed it would make for a great post that I would love to read. Remember.... The indians did it without a bank account!

Sassafras Lass
01-29-2011, 17:20
Amtrack from Ma. to gainesville Ga $134.00 shuttle 75.00(plus night in hostel) cheap enough...arrives in gville 7AM .....cheeper than gas

But I'm in MI - Amtrak just told me it'd be 32 hours & $388 to get us there. I loved traveling by train in Europe but until we get their rail system I think I'll stick to my car :)

Trailbender
01-29-2011, 17:22

I slept better in my tent than I did at a hostel. I have never considered a hotel a good deal unless it was split 3-4 ways. 2k is definitely doable, I did mine on a little less than $2,500 and that was with buying some gear and stuff due to the thru being the perfect environment for experimentation. With what I know now, I could do it on $1500. I enjoy sleeping in the woods, though, and was only in a hurry to get to a hostel a couple of times. Technically, there are enough donation based hostels spread out along the AT that you could do those cheap. If I did it again, my first hostel would be Kincora, it is 400 miles in.

Sassafras Lass
01-31-2011, 13:26
I slept better in my tent than I did at a hostel. I have never considered a hotel a good deal unless it was split 3-4 ways. 2k is definitely doable, I did mine on a little less than $2,500 and that was with buying some gear and stuff due to the thru being the perfect environment for experimentation. With what I know now, I could do it on $1500. I enjoy sleeping in the woods, though, and was only in a hurry to get to a hostel a couple of times. Technically, there are enough donation based hostels spread out along the AT that you could do those cheap. If I did it again, my first hostel would be Kincora, it is 400 miles in.

Thanks : ) As the weeks are flying by we're getting soooo restless, and we just keep telling ourselves that no amount of reading will give us a good idea of what to expect - we'll just take as much $$ as we can and start walking north :)

Shadowstep
02-03-2011, 01:03
I'm trying to spend no more than $1200 during the trip, my gear total was around $400. Hiking experience goes a long way in cutting costs. And willingness to sacrifice luxuries. :)

Trailbender
02-03-2011, 11:18
I'm trying to spend no more than $1200 during the trip, my gear total was around $400. Hiking experience goes a long way in cutting costs. And willingness to sacrifice luxuries. :)

I'll never understand people that think you have to be "deprived" not being able to sleep in the woods all the time. I mean, there are hikers that are like "you'll have to sleep in the woods and not do hostels, ect if you want to do it on x amount of money", like it is a sacrifice or something.