PDA

View Full Version : Campground for RVs?

Red Hat
12-18-2004, 12:57
My husband likes to follow along while I am hiking. We plan to meet every few days at the road crossings. Can anyone suggest which RV parks or campgrounds would be open between Springer and Fontana between March1 and April 1st? Has anyone else done this?

orangebug
12-18-2004, 17:20
The obvious big one is Standing Indian State Park near Franklin, NC, about 90 odd miles north of Springer, but I don't think it opens before May 1.

There are RV parks near to Unicoi Gap in Helen or Hiawassee, and further north at NOC. I don't think overnight parking is allowed at Woody Gap, Wayah Bald or Stecoah Gap.

RenaissanceMan98
12-18-2004, 19:56
Best bet is to head to an RV supply store in your area and get an RV campground directory. It'll run about 25 bucks and have info on every campground in the country. i.e. open season, prices, amenities, directions

Hikerhead
12-18-2004, 22:48
My husband likes to follow along while I am hiking. We plan to meet every few days at the road crossings. Can anyone suggest which RV parks or campgrounds would be open between Springer and Fontana between March1 and April 1st? Has anyone else done this?

Quite a few people have done this. At the moment, One Leg comes to mind. You can search for campgrounds on the internet. Here's a pretty good site that I found that might help.

http://www.n-georgia.com/

12-19-2004, 02:35
There are several options. First I can give you a list of all the RV parks in Ga along the trail. Send me a PM and I will get it to you. However, to save money You can park at ALL the road crossings for the trail (in the forest service) as long as you park out side of the right of way for the road you are on. I have done this with my RV and have talked with the Ranger for the forest service who have confirmed that any one can "camp" on forrest service land for two weeks before having to move.

One Leg
12-30-2004, 13:16
Track Rock Campground-Blairesville, Ga. (somewhat close to neels gap)

Mi Mountain Campground-Franklin, N.C. (Very nice campground, but not extremely convenient with regard to the location of the trail...About 15 miles off the trail)

Tim Rich
12-30-2004, 21:59
If your husband is in a town and looking for a quick place to bed down, remember that all Walmarts allow overnight RV parking. Although it may not be the most scenic spot, if he's not looking to meet up with you on a particular night, it's a cheap way to go.

Peaks
12-31-2004, 09:51
If your husband is in a town and looking for a quick place to bed down, remember that all Walmarts allow overnight RV parking. Although it may not be the most scenic spot, if he's not looking to meet up with you on a particular night, it's a cheap way to go.

I don't know about your area, but our local Walmart no longer allows overnight parking.