PDA

View Full Version : If you were/are stationed in Iraq/Afghanistan

Mrs Baggins
12-13-2010, 15:09
I know there are several people on WB that have served in Iraq and Afghanistan or may even be there right now. We have a friend who is going to Afghanistan (civilian contractor) and he leaves this Thursday, Dec 16th! We went to get him something really small, practical, lightweight, sturdy, useful, that will stand up to the ruggedness of his situation. He won't be in any kind of "nice" accommodations. I'm thinking there must be some piece of backpacking/hiking gear that would be useful to him in his situation, even if he isn't into hiking.

So, if you were stationed over there or there now - military or civilian - what piece of gear would you have liked to have had with you, or did you take with you? Are waterproof sacks of any use for storing things? I need to either order something to be fedex'ed right away or drive to an REI first thing tomorrow to get something. :eek:

Don H
12-13-2010, 15:27
I haven't been there but...
How about a nice Leatherman type tool.
Headlamp, one with a red light.
Phone card with lots of minutes.

Our Scout troop has an Assistant Scoutmaster in Afganistan right now. The boys baked him a big batch of cookies during a meeting, took lots of pictures of them doing it (his son helped too) and sent them to him. He loved it. I've repeatedly asked him if he needs anything but he says they are well supplied with everything they need.

Newb
12-13-2010, 15:31
I would have appreciated a still. That not being practical, what you really want are letters. Not just email. You can get just about anything else there.

SGT Rock
12-13-2010, 15:36
Thorlo socks. I got some from Hopeful hiker and loved them. The issue socks suck.

Don't Fedex or UPS stuff, it actually takes longer. The quickest way was always USPS priority. Still took 2 weeks.

Red Hat
12-13-2010, 15:40
Not gear, but my son really likes the big baskets from http://www.gourmetgroceryonline.com/apo He said that I sent enough to feed the whole army in Afghanistan. I know he exaggerates, but it made me feel good.

Blissful
12-13-2010, 15:45
A friend of ours loved homemade baked goods, too, esp. for Christmas.

mega82
12-13-2010, 16:47
The guys here always ask for jerky

Mrs Baggins
12-13-2010, 17:00
These are all good suggestions once he's actually there. :) I'm looking for something that he can can easily take with him. He's going to Ft. Benning first for a week, leaving this Thursday, and then on to Afghanistan.

Mrs Baggins
12-13-2010, 17:09
Just hit on it! And his wife thinks it's perfect! A 7" digital photo frame! She can put pics of herself, their son, the house, his Harley, etc on it and then periodically send him new flash cards with new photos! I'll buy several extra batteries for it as well. Okay, so it's not gear related - but this was a great way to get the imaginative juices flowing and now you've also given me wonderful ideas for things to send to him once he's there. Thanks all!

JERMM
12-13-2010, 23:09
Just hit on it! And his wife thinks it's perfect! A 7" digital photo frame! She can put pics of herself, their son, the house, his Harley, etc on it and then periodically send him new flash cards with new photos! I'll buy several extra batteries for it as well. Okay, so it's not gear related - but this was a great way to get the imaginative juices flowing and now you've also given me wonderful ideas for things to send to him once he's there. Thanks all!

great idea

juma
12-14-2010, 09:52
A box of Winchester earplugs from walmart - the combat zone is always erratically noisy what with helicopters, vehicles, weapons fire, snoring bunkmates, people working a nite schedule, etc. Probably a good sleep mask would be useful too.

chiefduffy
12-14-2010, 10:11
The little instant coffee things from starbucks would've been nice. I drank the nastiest coffee over there...

Wags
12-14-2010, 14:43
a hammock. preferably the traveller by warbonnet

Slimer
12-14-2010, 15:50
I spent time in Afghanistan, and found things like moisturizers, face-wipes and chapsticks to be golden.

hobbs
12-14-2010, 15:54
Mrs Baggins thats a great gift gave one to my brother when he was deployed with his kids pictures too. Once I was deployed I was more for a good box to be honest. My family packed it with candy( Gummi bears) Loved them while in Germany and fresh cookies and jerky. You name it, it was in the box. yes I shared but there was more than enough for all. Nice things like that make it a little easier.

Blissful
12-14-2010, 16:11
Anyone know if there's a general address to send items like some of that were mentioned to for just any soldier? (my nephew is already back in the US)

hobbs
12-14-2010, 16:46
Anyone know if there's a general address to send items like some of that were mentioned to for just any soldier? (my nephew is already back in the US)
blissful try this addresshttp://anysoldier.com answers alot of questions ans has answers. i just call my old command and findout who's where and ship. thats me thou. better to give a strnger some Angel magic like your suggeting tho. happy holiday's to you.

Mrs Baggins
12-14-2010, 19:47
blissful try this addresshttp://anysoldier.com answers alot of questions ans has answers. i just call my old command and findout who's where and ship. thats me thou. better to give a strnger some Angel magic like your suggeting tho. happy holiday's to you.

Great idea. I'll send a few boxes after the 1st of the year when things here calm down. The service people will think Christmas shipping is over, so it'll be a nice surprise for them to still get some things in January.

hobbs
12-14-2010, 20:35
Great idea. I'll send a few boxes after the 1st of the year when things here calm down. The service people will think Christmas shipping is over, so it'll be a nice surprise for them to still get some things in January.
Mrs Baggins there are trail angels. But you ma'm are a very kind individual. Please don't ever change that:sun Also if that Doesn't work the website. You can try calling base's Like FT Campbel KY. Ask for the post operator and ask to transfer your call to base public affairs officer and explain what you would like to do. Any base who has troops out will most likly take and have you mail to them and then forward to their units. I hope this helps you. Have a splendid holiday.

yari
12-14-2010, 20:58

Oh man, what a great idea. I was wondering what to do for my Christmas secret Santa project this year, now I know. Thanks.

Bearpaw
12-14-2010, 21:18
Good socks are HUGE. This time of year, it can be brutally cold. A couple of good pairs of Smartwools or some other merino wool sock would be greatly appreciated, the thicker the better.

-SEEKER-
12-14-2010, 21:40
My better half has a son-in-law in the Navy. He is a Nuclear Engineer, currently on a Submarine Tender Ship. They are off the Island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. In his position he has a lot of "down time", so I sent two boxes containing snacks, magazines, puzzle books, etc. It's not Iraq or Afghanistan, but I know everyone on board will share and enjoy anything they get. BTW he is expecting his first child in March. A BIG Thank You to all who think of those serving in the armed forces and make the effort to let them know how much they are appreciated.

Saltfish
12-14-2010, 21:44
I help with packing boxes for the troops twice a year.
As mentioned send jerky,chapstick,sunblock,handi wipes,
and a big one is poptarts for an easy in pocket snack.

zeus307
12-15-2010, 08:44
I myself have done 3 tours over there including the first gulf war. Me personnallly i enjoye boxes from home with jerky, sunflower seeds in the shell, hot sauces cards, batteries, powder and socks like mentioned earlier in this thread. A good leatherman is also a must in that hell hole!! That is the next best thing to your weapon!! Thank your friend for his service, even tho he is a civilian contractor he will have it easier than the rest of the "grunts" and service personnel.
Be safe and God Bless
RANGERS LEAD THE WAY

hobbs
12-16-2010, 11:49
[QUOTE=zeus307;1080088]I myself have done 3 tours over there including the first gulf war. Me personnallly i enjoye boxes from home with jerky, sunflower seeds in the shell, hot sauces cards, batteries, powder and socks like mentioned earlier in this thread. A good leatherman is also a must in that hell hole!! That is the next best thing to your weapon!! Thank your friend for his service, even tho he is a civilian contractor he will have it easier than the rest of the "grunts" and service personnel.
Be safe and God Bless
RANGERS LEAD THE WAY[/QUOTE
leave No Man Behind!!!! And send nice goody box's of you can!!!

Mrs Baggins
12-16-2010, 18:00
I bought him the digital picture frame and he was absolutely thrilled with it! He left today for a week at Ft. Benning before going on to Kabul. His wife will spend some time loading up the frame with photos and then ship it off to him.

RETCW4
12-17-2010, 09:46

Mrs. Baggins,

Shoot me a PM and I can get with you. I was in Iraq and my daughter is deploying to Afghanistan in Feb. I'll be doing a thru hike this year but my wife will be sending packages over. SGT Rock is correct USPS is the fastest and cheapest way to get things over there.

Tumbleweed

hobbs
12-17-2010, 22:29
I bought him the digital picture frame and he was absolutely thrilled with it! He left today for a week at Ft. Benning before going on to Kabul. His wife will spend some time loading up the frame with photos and then ship it off to him.
great that your idea and choice has a great affect.. hope more people think the way you do mrs Baggins.

hobbs
12-17-2010, 22:32
Mrs. Baggins,

Shoot me a PM and I can get with you. I was in Iraq and my daughter is deploying to Afghanistan in Feb. I'll be doing a thru hike this year but my wife will be sending packages over. SGT Rock is correct USPS is the fastest and cheapest way to get things over there.

Tumbleweed
thanks for doing your time (Chief) Hope your daughter gets some cush job and all is well. See ya NOBO hopefully this spring. Dont know your affiliation but figuring ava. If so thanks for the lifts:sun

TEXMAN
12-19-2010, 21:54
I spent six months working for the PX in Afghanistan as a civilian >>>>>
I would suggest a headlamp /..... it is hard to use the porta pottys in the dark and most people end up holding a flashlight in their mouth so they know what is going where.....

Idaho_Nomad
12-20-2010, 10:51
I'm in Afghanistan right now and I was in Iraq in 2009. I agree with the headlamp/jerky/babywhipes. The electronic picture frame is a cool idea. Another thing you can do is send him USB Thumb drives with new pictures every so often, that way you dont have to deal with the very slow/no internet.

jackaroo2008
12-20-2010, 11:18
i know when i was over in iraq, i couldn't get enough hot sauce. just like on the trail, hot sauce goes good with anything. nothing beats a box with several selections of hot sauce.