PDA

View Full Version : Providing Trail Magic

Smoky Scout
12-13-2010, 15:12
I'd like to do a few days of trail magic in southwest Virginia between Pearisburg and Dragon's Tooth in 2011. What is the best timing? What do thru-hikers want most at that point? How do I find out what other TM goes on in that area so I don't duplicate or get in someone else's magic?

FlyPaper
12-13-2010, 15:19
I'd like to do a few days of trail magic in southwest Virginia between Pearisburg and Dragon's Tooth in 2011. What is the best timing? What do thru-hikers want most at that point? How do I find out what other TM goes on in that area so I don't duplicate or get in someone else's magic?

I'm going to be hiking in that section in the spring. Once I nail down the dates for my hike, I'll let you know the best time for providing trail magic.:)

Spokes
12-13-2010, 15:20
Most NOBO hikers starting in mid-March begin to start trickling into Pearisburg around the last week of April (+/-). They'll appreciate nearly anything. I'd stay away from stocking up on snicker bars and ramen noodles.......

Cheers and thanks for helping out the thru's!

Blissful
12-13-2010, 15:30
You'll see a bunch late April early May in that area. They eat anything. :)

4shot
12-13-2010, 15:34
Any trail magic is good but as Spokes said, Snickers and Ramen might not be at the top of the list. Fruit is much appreciated on the trail as are Cokes (used in the southern sense to mean any "soda" or "pop") or coffee if it's chilly.. Hot dogs, sandwhich fixings, chips, cookies, cake - Don't worry about it, anything is greatly appreciated. Hoping to do some magic myself somewhere in Tn/NC next spring. To those that provided trail magic this year and before - thanks!!!

Pony
12-14-2010, 16:32
I know not everyone drinks, but whenever I came accross someone giving hikers beer, I really appreciated it.

Luddite
12-14-2010, 16:44
I know not everyone drinks, but whenever I came accross someone giving hikers beer, I really appreciated it.

I drink a lot, but the last thing I'd want on the trail is a beer. I'd appreciate an ice cold Coke much more.

Pony
12-14-2010, 17:04
I drink a lot, but the last thing I'd want on the trail is a beer. I'd appreciate an ice cold Coke much more.

Let me know your thoughts next July. While soda is always delicious, nothing beats an ice cold beer on a hot day. Especially when you haven't had one in a week or more.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2010, 17:31
I drink a lot, but the last thing I'd want on the trail is a beer.

hahaha. you say that now.....

Spokes
12-14-2010, 18:10
............... lmao..............

the goat
12-14-2010, 18:32

hahaha. you say that now.....

exactly what i was thinking.

ice cold beer = the best kind of trail magic

max patch
12-14-2010, 18:41

If its the afternoon and I'm still walking, I agree, nothing beats an ice cold coke. After supper and after all the evening chores are done I'm partial to Makers Mark. Beer would be ok too.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2010, 19:19
Some folks would certainly welcome a beer, some would rather have a juice or a coke. So if you're bringing a cooler, I'd bring along a variety of things.

Be aware that in some places, it might not be prudent (or for that matter legal) to be handing out beers, and in many places, their public consumption might not be OK, so without belaboring the point, just be aware of what you're doing and where you're doing it.

Also, it's generally frowned upon these days to just leave "magic" or coolers, which generally turn into trash cans, so if you're gonna go out and dispense stuff, it's probably best to be there while you're doing it, i.e. don't just leave stuff by the Trail for hikers, however well intended.

Anyway, it sounds like your heart is in the right place. Thanks in advance, and have fun!!

trailangelbronco
12-14-2010, 19:43
In Maine, I used to leave a cooler full of pop, and then stop by and pick it and any trash up at night, just before dark. Someone once left me a joint inside of a thank you note.

I know some here will look down upon that, but the hikers that emptied the coolers would probably disagree.

so, as long as you can go back by and pick up the cooler and trash THAT DAY, I don't see a problem with leaving stuff behind. I liken it to out west when logging crews and Forest Service workers leave "crewboxes" trailside.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2010, 20:05
Bronco:

I agree with you 100%; if you're coming back a few hours later, then no problem. Unfortunately, every year, well meaning people (usually former hikers, family members of hikers, etc.) simply leave stuff on the Trail or by the road assuming other folks will police it up later. It creates problems, becomes a trash nuisance, is ugly to look at, encourages people to dump other refuse, attracts wildlife, and pisses off local trail clubs, Rangers, etc. who are usually the people who have to pack it out. Trail magic is great and I sure have enjoyed my share of it, but folks should either make sure they're actually around to dispense it, or they must make sure to come back shortly therafter. Garbage in the woods is garbage in the woods, however well intended, and nobody enjoys seeing it or dealing with it.

Pony
12-14-2010, 20:32
If its the afternoon and I'm still walking, I agree, nothing beats an ice cold coke. After supper and after all the evening chores are done I'm partial to Makers Mark. Beer would be ok too.

If anyone regardless of the time of day produces a bottle of Maker's Mark, it's time to set up camp.;)

jersey joe
12-14-2010, 21:18
I completely agree with this. When I thru hiked I was usually pretty dehydrated and drinking beer never really agreed with me so much. An ice cold coke on the other hand really hit the spot! The trail magic I recall appreciating the most was a cooler full of cheap soda.

Hikemor
12-15-2010, 15:37
A Bud tall boy and a box of doughnuts makes a fine morning snack (when hiking).

Serial 07
12-15-2010, 15:54
april seems a bit early for a mid-march start, depending on how fast a hiker is going of course...i would think closer to mid may...i started 3/21 and got to P'burg 5/21...

ChinMusic
12-15-2010, 16:36
Bring a number of trash bags. Hikers are thrilled at the opportunity to unload their trash.

Rick500
12-15-2010, 16:49
Bring a number of trash bags. Hikers are thrilled at the opportunity to unload their trash.

Great idea! I wouldn't have thought of that one.

Sly
12-15-2010, 18:09
Bronco:

I agree with you 100%; if you're coming back a few hours later, then no problem. Unfortunately, every year, well meaning people (usually former hikers, family members of hikers, etc.) simply leave stuff on the Trail or by the road assuming other folks will police it up later. It creates problems, becomes a trash nuisance, is ugly to look at, encourages people to dump other refuse, attracts wildlife, and pisses off local trail clubs, Rangers, etc. who are usually the people who have to pack it out. Trail magic is great and I sure have enjoyed my share of it, but folks should either make sure they're actually around to dispense it, or they must make sure to come back shortly therafter. Garbage in the woods is garbage in the woods, however well intended, and nobody enjoys seeing it or dealing with it.

Good point Jack.

What gets me is the trash left behind at an unattended cooler. If the hiker can take the soda or snack they should be willing to pack out the trash it produces. IMO, to leave it behind for the trail angel to pack out is ignorant.

Bare Bear
12-15-2010, 18:44
Anything you do will be appreciated. I found that a couple wash buckets (one with soapy water and a second clean water) were big hits. Once we were even able to put a portalet out for a week with the Ranger and local Trail Maintaineer's blessings.

MoBill122
12-15-2010, 22:49
My club, Georgia Adventurers Group, does Trail Magic the first week of March & April at the Hickory Flatt Cemetery AT crossing. Even though that just a few miles from Springer, not many just walk by without grabbing something to eat & drink.
Most take a break, chat a while, and we find it quite interesting to meet fellow hikers from all part of America and the world.
And I agree about the trash bags.... most were very eager to fill up our trash bags with their trash, but actually most did ask if it was ok to do so.
Trail Magic is just a way to.... Give a little back to the Hiker Community I say.

jesse
12-16-2010, 01:50
In Maine, I used to leave a cooler full of pop, and then stop by and pick it and any trash up at night, just before dark. Someone once left me a joint inside of a thank you note.

I know some here will look down upon that, but the hikers that emptied the coolers would probably disagree.

so, as long as you can go back by and pick up the cooler and trash THAT DAY, I don't see a problem with leaving stuff behind. I liken it to out west when logging crews and Forest Service workers leave "crewboxes" trailside.

Best not to leave it at all.

emerald
12-16-2010, 08:12
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4806037/k.903F/Trail_Magic.htm (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4806037/k.903F/Trail_Magic.htm)

Go to our Suggestions for Providing Trail Magic (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{B8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45}/Trail%20Magic%20Suggestions8-3-07.pdf) developed by ATC with input from hikers, “trail angels,” volunteers, Leave No Trace experts, and recreation ecologists.

emerald
12-16-2010, 08:48

Contact the local trail club and offer to volunteer.

max patch
12-16-2010, 09:52
Thru hikers have to hike all the way to Hickory Flatts before they get to experience trail magic? Thats at least a 3 hour slog from Springer!!!

We need volunteers to set up at 3 Forks and in the FS42 parking lot. I'll volunteer to hump up danish and coffee to the Springer Shelter.

We need to help the thru's!

emerald
12-16-2010, 10:11
God forbid they must carry their own food!

CrumbSnatcher
12-16-2010, 10:34
4 whole miles before trail magic, the suffering they will go thru:rolleyes:
trail magic before woody gap is a sin! or should be:D
let em' suffer a little bit before pampering them
just sayin'

emerald
12-16-2010, 11:27
One cannot begin setting up bait stations and conditioning through hikers too early.

max patch
12-16-2010, 11:53
We almost forgot about those hearty thru's who suck it up and do the approach trail! Top of the falls would be a great spot for a coke/beer break with a slice of pizza to replenish carbs.

Philosophical question...Is it "trail magic" before they actually get to the white blazed trail?

kayak karl
12-16-2010, 11:56
we need to help the thru's!
why???????

the goat
12-16-2010, 16:16
why???????

pretty sure he's being facetious.....

4shot
12-16-2010, 17:34
We need to help the thru's!

was not "for thru hikers" only. Most people who were kind and gracious enough to do this did not care how far the hiker had come or was going and that's the way it should be. On a very few occasions, if there was an unattended box or cooler with food and snacks the person who left it requested that it be for long distance hikers only but most people who were doing trail magic in person did not have any "criteria" as to whom they shared their food and drinks with (again as it should be). I figure you probably understood this but I guess i am clarifying for the sake of the original poster on here. My input is if you provide trail magic make sure to include everyone, makes for a better trail experience for all.