PDA

View Full Version : Another Back Yard Camping Experiment

STICK
12-13-2010, 23:14
The crappy thing about taking call 24/7 every other week is that it is extremely hard to get away. On the other hand it sure does make the check look good...

Temperatures dropped a lot, at least for around these parts. So, I took advantage of it. Even though I was on call and it was a work night, I erected my tarp last night and jumped under it. Temps hit 15, but according to The Weather Chanel, with the wind chill temps were more correctly between 0 and - 10. All I know is that it was cool... http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Anyway, the tent is set up tonight and my son and I will be back out there. Currently it is 20 F with a real feel temp of 12 F (according to the Weather Chanel). My outside thermometer reads 19 F now. Anyhoo, me and my son's sleeping gear have been out there for the last few hours so it will be nice and cold when we slip into them very soon...

So, I did another video showing the clothing I wore and sleeping set up (believe it or not I used the NeoAir with the 1/8" ThinLight pad - but felt a little cool about 5 am). Check it out here if you want:

Another Back yard Camping Experiment (http://stick13.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/another-backyard-camping-experiment/)

JERMM
12-13-2010, 23:23
STICK- your video bogs down after 23 seconds, what are you testing?

skinewmexico
12-14-2010, 00:09
Love that backyard gear testing.

Wise Old Owl
12-14-2010, 00:30
Stick I understand the explanation on gear testing,

I would suggest - reshoot when the highway and the wind isn't so bad.

Do it again with the kid and have a digital thermometer.

This is what we did , here is the accomplishment, what worked, what didnt.

STICK
12-14-2010, 21:08
Jermm, it may have still been in the process of processing... Anyway, it should all be good to go now. However, I did upload another version of the same video. youtube informed me that I stepped on the copyright toes when I added part of a Pearl Jam song at the end during the credits. Its up still, and linked to in my post, but in case they take it off I have another one ready to go... :)

I have made anothre video with my son and I and I bassically talk up the situation again, and give an overview of how the set up did for me. I asked my son to say a little something and talk about how it worked for him, but he felt "put on the spot" so he didn't say a whole lot. Anyway, it is uploading now to my computer and will probably be later tonight or tomorrow that it is on Youtube.

Llama Legs
12-14-2010, 21:38
good work stick. nothing cheers me up more than somebody being excited about camping. seriously.

medicjimr
12-15-2010, 16:44
Been following the blog I will be out testing gear in snow when I get some I have on order first

STICK
12-15-2010, 18:06
LLama legs, it cheers me up too... :)

medicjimr, thanks for checking out and keeping up with my blog. I wish I had more to contribute, but until then I try to make the best out of what I can...

SMSP
12-16-2010, 02:12
Perhaps, if more folks did a little more backyard camping/experimenting, there would be less 'incidents' of 'unpreparedness'. Good information to consider.

SMSP