PDA

View Full Version : clothes tight or loose

jeremesh
12-14-2010, 00:33
I am not a small gentleman and usually wear my clothes somewhat loose so as not to show off my chiseled abs :rolleyes:

So I was thinking about warmth and is it better to wear clothes as tight as is comfortable to reduce the amount of air that your body needs to heat, or is it better to wear clothes loose in order to have more dead air to help insulate in cold weather?

Tinker
12-14-2010, 00:41
One of my favorite topics.
Underwear should be somewhat tight but not restrictive.
Mid layers should have enough room to use more than one garment when needed.
Outer layers same as mid layers.
Rain and wind wear probably should be on the large side for efficient ventilation.
Extra fabric means extra weight, so experiment near home befor heading out for a long trip.

Colter
12-14-2010, 01:42
It's all about dead air space. Tight clothing constricts circulation, crushes insulation and reduces dead air space. Layer reasonably loosely.

Loose clothing is cooler in hot weather, too.

Blissful
12-14-2010, 16:12
You start out with tight stuff down below, you'll regret it. Chafing galore. For me, I like everything loose and comfortable

Bare Bear
12-15-2010, 18:53
When you lose at least a couple pounds per week; it won't matter if it is a little tight to start. Belts with lots of adjustment too!

sbhikes
12-16-2010, 00:41
I think men wear much too baggy stuff these days. I really miss how men looked in the 70s with their tight jeans shorts. But sadly, loose is better for hiking and warmth, and maybe for modesty, too.

Marta
12-16-2010, 08:38
Loose is comfortable and, once heated up inside, provides a lovely tent of warmth around you. Too loose, though, creates a bellows effect. You're all warm and comfy, then you bend over to pick something up and all the warm air whooshes out from whatever openings it can find.

For really cold weather, have lots of inches between yourself and the outside air, but also seal in the hot air by having a belt around the waist, a scarf around the neck, and some sort of seal around the wrists and ankles.

kayak karl
12-16-2010, 08:47
I think men wear much too baggy stuff these days. I really miss how men looked in the 70s with their tight jeans shorts. But sadly, loose is better for hiking and warmth, and maybe for modesty, too.
MS in tight clothing. is everybody picturing this :D

Tinker
12-16-2010, 10:16

I used to wear bellbottom jeans in the '70s.
Now they're bell tops. :rolleyes:

leaftye
12-16-2010, 21:32

You must love the pants that young men are wearing nowadays. They're not much different from the pants I love seeing beautiful women wear. So, I miss baggy.

leaftye
12-16-2010, 21:40
You start out with tight stuff down below, you'll regret it. Chafing galore. For me, I like everything loose and comfortable

Tight is good for long boxer briefs. At least for the thighs. The tightness keeps them from riding up. They can't prevent chafing there if they ride up.

sbhikes
12-16-2010, 23:04
I haven't seen any young men wearing anything that didn't ride down below their bottoms. I don't get how on earth they can walk that way. What is holding the pants on? And shorts super baggy and down to mid-calf. Looks ridiculous. I like the way basketball players dressed in the 70s.

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2010, 23:26
MS in tight clothing. is everybody picturing this :DNever met the man, but have seen numerous pics. Spandex might constitute a crime against humanity.

I haven't seen any young men wearing anything that didn't ride down below their bottoms. I don't get how on earth they can walk that way. What is holding the pants on? And shorts super baggy and down to mid-calf. Looks ridiculous. I like the way basketball players dressed in the 70s.You just like gawkin' at our legs, dontcha? HEY - my eyes are up here! ;) :D

hontassquirt
12-17-2010, 00:00
good thread. thanks for asking the question! I always just assumed tight (to reduce cold air coming in), and that's what I've always gone with for all layers. But it gets constricting and I get cranky because i want more breathing room when I'm 3 days out in the woods!

jeremesh
12-17-2010, 00:13
thanks for all the replie folks.

sbhikes
12-17-2010, 21:18
Never met the man, but have seen numerous pics. Spandex might constitute a crime against humanity.

You just like gawkin' at our legs, dontcha? HEY - my eyes are up here! ;) :D

Legs? No, not the legs. ;)