PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, and good part time, off season jobs

Baker
12-19-2004, 04:52
I've been trolling and decided to contribute...Strongly considering going nobo in 2005. Last year, I started at Springer and ended up at T.W.O in Suches, where the doctor told me I had strep throat (and/or bronchitis. I don't remember). A week later, I decided to start at Damascus and head north. I made it to Waynesboro. Had a great time till I ran short of funds of money (poor planning, illness, and ingorance all played a part).

Thus, I'm broke. One week after I get back to WestByGod from Waynesboro via the big grey dog bus, I end up in texas spraying herbicide at railroad xings. I know what many of you are thinkning. Herbicide. Murderer of all things green. Yeah, nothing like dragging 200 feet of chemical laden garden hose in 100+ degree texas heat covered in sweat and herbicide overspray. That miserable job lasted two months, but I made some beans. The trail never left my mind.

After Texas, I went back to the pizza delivery business, the best paying job an english major can get 'round these parts.

I don't recall who or where, but somewhere on this site someone defined hiker trash as (paraphrasing here): someone who works a crapbucket job in the offseason to thruhike in the onseason. There can be benefits to this approach.

At work tonight, I was yabbering with my manager about the trail, gear, cheese prices, etc. The subject of marketing came up, and he said he needed more people to doorhang. My ears perked up. Doorhanging, hmm... Getting paid to walk around neighborhoods (roads round here are mostly up and down) and put coupons on people's doors. Paid to walk, paid to walk, hmm...Can I wear my backpack (to carry coupons, of course)? Yes, I can wear my backpack? :banana Outstanding, when can I start?

There you have it. I get paid (not much, mind you) to walk up and down hills with a backpack on. Nice, eh?

Anyone else have any good offseason jobs?

Lone Wolf
12-19-2004, 06:48
I was a snowmaker for 10 winters at a ski resort.

Jaybird
12-19-2004, 07:38
Hey L.W.:

where can i get one of those snow-makin' machines?
i'd love to have one for the neighborhood...to give everybody a WHITE CHRISTMAS!

Lone Wolf
12-19-2004, 07:40
Compressed air, high pressure water and cold temps. are all you need.

Bloodroot
12-19-2004, 09:15
Compressed air, high pressure water and cold temps. are all you need.
.....and a touch of yeast, hops, malt and sugar and you're set.:D

SalParadise
12-19-2004, 13:57
[QUOTE=Baker]......the best paying job an english major can get 'round these parts. [QUOTE]

ha! the best paying job and English major will ever get, anywhere!

After quitting a good editorial job to hike in 04, I am now working at Subway and an outfitters (not a good one, though, and I still cringe when people buy 6-pound packs). I figure if anything, I'll be that much more appreciative when I finally hit the Trail again in 05.

Tha Wookie
12-19-2004, 14:04
Consider going to grad school. You can study "off-season", and get a scholarship or assistantship. I got a degree in recreation and leisure studies (rec. ecology focus), had tuition waived, and was paid $4,500 a semester for teaching hiking classes. I made countless contacts for future projects in hiking and trail promotions and research projects, which continue to pay off and pay back.

:clap

Mausalot
12-19-2004, 14:08
Find a good woman to support your hiking habit.

The Old Fhart
12-19-2004, 16:39
After my thru-hike in 1998 I got one of the highest, paying jobs in the east. (please notice the necessary comma) I worked for four winters for the Mount Washington Weather Observatory on the summit on an 8 day on, 6 day off shift. The altitude was high, the pay was low. Transportation to and from the summit was in a huge snowcat that carried the shift change and fresh food supplies every Wednesday. My background allowed me to get this job maintaining the scientific instrumentation and computers on the summit. I got to see fantastic sunrises and sunsets as well as winds up to 145 mph and temps of 34 degrees below zero. Click here (http://www.mountwashington.org/) for more information. And, yes, I can wiggle all of my appendages and have never got frostbite.