PDA

View Full Version : Weather at Carvers Gap

Road runner
12-14-2010, 16:45
I am planning a section hike on Sunday and Monday. I will be starting at Iron Mountain Gap and finishing at US 19E. I will come off the trail at night at Carvers Gap. I have a cabin at Roan Mountain State Park. Does anyone know what the snow level is on the trail and how are the roads to those trailheads?

Tennessee Viking
12-14-2010, 20:13
I am checking on the roads from my contacts with the Tennesee Highway Patrol. If there is snow on the roads down at the park or Cove Creek Road, you are not getting up the mountain unless you have snow tires. You will probably see a lot of ice on trail on all the balds.

Call the office at Roan Mtn State Park. Bob Peoples at Kincora. Or Mountain Harbour Inn B&B.

karo
12-15-2010, 12:40
On the Tenn. State Parks blog about Roan Mt. state park there was 8-10 inches of snow at the park near the base of the mountain. They stated that there was 2 feet of snow on the top of Roan with 6 foot drifts. I would definitely give them a call. If you do go, please post an update on here. I would like to go in a couple of weeks.

Roots
12-15-2010, 12:44
The Roan Mtn area is currently under a winter storm warning to add to the already 8 to 10 in. up there.

Tennessee Viking
12-15-2010, 14:01
I got word from Mountain Squid that there is at least a foot last week on Roan. Possibly 2 feet now. And more snow in the forecast.

bus
12-17-2010, 13:44
Not this year, but, last I was theee on Christmas Eve. Aa few days earlier about 12'' of snow had fallen in the area. The NC side was clear, but the TN side wasnt cleared as well. The road up to the gardens as well as most of the parking area was at least 2 feet deep. There wasnt a whole lot of traffic and even several days after all of the snowfall, there was a lot of icey section sof road.

Be careful...