PDA

View Full Version : Trash compactor bags vd regular force flex garbage bags

ec.hiker
12-14-2010, 21:09
Ok so I have read that everyone uses trash compactor bags as pack liners/ covers. Every time I go to the grocey or local wally I look for trash compactor bags just to check out the difference in those and regular trash bags usually I can't even find any. At the wally I found to types of trash compactor bags and they really didn't look all that durable. the force flex bags seem to be super tough and that is what I always use plus I like the fact that they have the draw strings on them. Can anyone tell my if there is a specific reason for the trash compactor bags I figure they are supposes to be tougher? Funnny thing is is that I have a trash compactor and I don't even use trash compactor bags for it since I recycle and compast so much I only have about one bag of actual trash every two weeks and I use chap bags for that!!:confused:

Megapixel
12-14-2010, 21:17
you'll probably get some better, more experienced advice here, but i think overall a trash compactor bag will last you longer, say on a thru hike. i've been using the same bag from home depot for a year on shakedowns, overnights, etc. and it is doing great. plus at night i can put my pack in it and tie it shut sealing off the pack and a pair of hiking shoes.

Llama Legs
12-14-2010, 21:22
I use them (Kenmore/Sears trash compactor bags) solely because I am resistant to change!! But if you'd like, I'll list a dozen reasons why there are no other options to even consider - in the grandest traditions of blogging...:D

springerfever
12-14-2010, 21:41
Couple of things I like about the RedMax trash compactor bags that I picked up at Lowe's.

VERY durable. Almost impossible to tear. They stretch before ripping.

Good size..Holds approx 4000-6000 ci..Perfect for a 50-70 liter pack with enough left over at the top to fold over. Dimensions are 26" X 34" and weight is 2.5 oz.

These babies last forever and are white so its easy to find items, even in the bottom. Cost for a box of 44 was approx 15 bucks...so 35 cents per bag. Lifetime supply and share with your buddies.

Stir Fry
12-14-2010, 21:47
I used to use trash compactor bags but 3 years ago I made a bag out of Cubin Fiber. Been using it rof 3 yr. over 4oo miles. No sign that it going to were out Only 1/2 oz trash compactor bags are 2 oz each.

ec.hiker
12-14-2010, 21:49
so basicly the compactor bags are better than the force flex trash bags? By better I mean harder to tear I like the bags because of the draw string ability

Praha4
12-14-2010, 23:04
the trash compactor bags are usually 2.5 mil thickness. The best contractor grade garbage bags I've found at Home Depot are 2.0 mil thick.

I use the trash compactor bags

Blissful
12-14-2010, 23:13
I found a trash compactor bag at the hostel in Manchester center. it was the best thing. But I have to replace it, so glad someone mentioned places to get it. Although I don't want a whole box of 'em. So if someone gets a box of compactor bags and wants to sell me a couple and throw in an envelope to mail, please PM me :)

garlic08
12-15-2010, 00:51
The main reason I use a compactor bag is that it's white and easier to see what's inside.

Spokes
12-15-2010, 07:56
Don't let the ForceFlex hype fool you.

These trash liners have, what I call, "fake strength" that's really only extra stretch provided by all the little diamond shape pleats pressed into the plastic.

Under a load the pleats deform allowing the plastic to expand around the weight. Sorta like what the bias in a woven fabric.

Plus, these trash bags are typically only .90mm thick. Something I'd worry about too. I'll stick with an old fashion trash compactor bag. They're pretty much bombproof.

I'll bet some WB'er will do a comparison experiment and post the results on YouTube now that you mention it.

Cheers!

Appalachian Tater
12-15-2010, 08:08
The heavy-duty clear garbage bags that are used for recycling here work well. I get them by asking the porter in my building for them. Haven't had any problem with durability and I can see what's in my pack.

If you have been using black bags and have a top-loading pack, you will be surprised at how much easier it is to fish a particular stuff sack or other item out when the bag is translucent rather than opaque.

Rain Man
12-15-2010, 10:27
The main reason I use a compactor bag is that it's white and easier to see what's inside.

One of the main reasons, absolutely!!! Not to mention, they are multi-purpose. For one example, at night you can throw your boots in one and push it to the bottom of your sleeping bag. Won't be frozen in the morning. :)

P.S. Don't forget Reynold's oven roaster bags if you want small, clear bags that are super tough.

Rain:sunMan

fredmugs
12-15-2010, 10:54
I use them (Kenmore/Sears trash compactor bags) solely because I am resistant to change!! But if you'd like, I'll list a dozen reasons why there are no other options to even consider - in the grandest traditions of blogging...:D

I would love to see 12 completely different, stand alone, reasons why trash compactor bags are better.

fredmugs
12-15-2010, 10:56
Couple of things I like about the RedMax trash compactor bags that I picked up at Lowe's.

VERY durable. Almost impossible to tear. They stretch before ripping.

Good size..Holds approx 4000-6000 ci..Perfect for a 50-70 liter pack with enough left over at the top to fold over. Dimensions are 26" X 34" and weight is 2.5 oz.

These babies last forever and are white so its easy to find items, even in the bottom. Cost for a box of 44 was approx 15 bucks...so 35 cents per bag. Lifetime supply and share with your buddies.

If they last forever then that one bag cost you $15 unless you sold the other ones to someone else.

Spokes
12-15-2010, 12:29
If they last forever then that one bag cost you $15 unless you sold the other ones to someone else.

Still cheaper than a Sea-to-Summit Pack Liner at around $35

Lyle
12-15-2010, 12:57
I've been using regular trash bags for decades, now I use the Force Flex. I've looked a few times, but never found any Compactor bags at Home Depot, Lowes, or any other store. Since I don't have a Compactor, I have no other use for Compactor Bags.

I'll stick with the Force Flex. I've never had a wet bag in decades of use, plus I can buy a new one most anywhere, without a major search. Plenty of other uses for them too.

If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

Spokes
12-15-2010, 13:12
Good point Lyle. Grandma Gatewood used a shower curtain as a tarp. Lots of ways to skin a catfish.

Luddite
12-15-2010, 13:20
I had to order trash compactor bags over the internet. I tried three grocery stores and couldn't find any. Those things are expensive even on the internet. I'd use em for backpack liners but I wouldn't use for garbage bags thats for sure.

rpenczek
12-15-2010, 14:09
1. White can see everything inside
2. More durable (two years and same bag - not a thru)
3. fits in a 4000 SQIN pack just right
4. Much less expensive than a GG or StoS pack liner
5. Much less expensive than a pack cover
6. Works much better than a pack cover
7. Does not fail (rip) while on the trail, regular bags do
8. Do ya really need 12 reasons?

Luddite
12-15-2010, 14:38
Do you tie a knot at the top of the bag or do you roll it up?

garlic08
12-15-2010, 16:45
Do you tie a knot at the top of the bag or do you roll it up?

Neither. I fold it over so the opening is as low as I can get it, then pack my tarp on top of it for extra rain protection. I also check the bag every week or so for pinholes, and patch with duct tape if needed.

sbhikes
12-15-2010, 17:34
I think you have to ask for the compactor bags. I don't think they put them where they put other bags. If the grocery store doesn't have them, try the hardware store.

They last a long time and aren't stretchy like the force flex. I don't like the stretchiness. I knew a guy who loved the force flex bags though, so I suppose either will work.

mudhead
12-15-2010, 18:41
I have a couple of them spare if you just can't find them. I found them in the grocery, but had to ask. Too many options for the male mind to comprehend.

springerfever
12-16-2010, 06:52
ec. hiker

Good luck with the dehydrated snacks/meals. Thanks for the sample offer. I'd be happy to test and let you know my opinion. Mailing out a compactor bag to you today. I think you'll find it very useful for keeping your gear dry.

Rain man......thanks for the tip with the boots. Great idea!!

Marta
12-16-2010, 08:03
Trash compactor bags are thick enough to make a good odor barrier. I generally sleep with my food in my tent, but inside the trash compactor bag. Hasn't been a problem yet.

If I'm someplace like the Smokies where I'm going to hang the food, the trash compactor bag works well, too.

Another thing I like about them is I use them as compression sacks, sort of. I put everything down inside the bag, inside the pack, then squish down as hard as I can. It usually reduces the load by at least 25%. Then fasten.

As fasteners I use women's hair ties, the kind that are all fabric, not the ones with the metal clasp. Since my hair is short, I don't buy these myself, but scavage them from shelter floors, parking lots, etc. They are everywhere! Very useful. Last infinitely longer than rubber bands.

I use the gooseneck technique. Have a good length of material at the top of the bag. Fasten down close to the bottom, then fold it over and fasten bent over. Waterproof.

In a real pinch, if you have to ford a very deep creek or river, a trash compactor bag is big enough and tough enough that you can put everything inside it and tow it along behind you like a boat.

They are a bit hard to find. Several years ago, though, we got a big box of them at either a Super Wal-Mart or Costco. That box will last use at least the next decade.

A retired bag can be used as....a trash bag.

Is that a long enough list of reasons?

rpenczek
12-16-2010, 14:42
I just push the un filled bag material between the pack wall and the filled portion of the compactor bag (I don't roll or use a goose neck or anything.) I just fold over and tuck in.

walkin' wally
12-16-2010, 18:08
I bought the Walmart trash compactor bags today. The ones I bought were white and 2 mils thick. I want to wrap my sleeping bag in one when I stow it in the bottom of my pack. They had some trash compactor bags that were half paper which was teated with wet strength resin. They looked cheap.

Rain Man
12-16-2010, 19:55
They are a bit hard to find.

I agree with your list of uses, but am surprised to read various folks saying trash compactor bags are hard to find. I've never had any particular difficulty finding them locally here in Nashville, at a variety of stores.

In any event, I think they and oven roaster bags are great.

Llama Legs
12-16-2010, 21:26
I would love to see 12 completely different, stand alone, reasons why trash compactor bags are better.

I think we're well past twelve now...;)

mudhead
12-17-2010, 18:19
I agree with your list of uses, but am surprised to read various folks saying trash compactor bags are hard to find. I've never had any particular difficulty finding them locally here in Nashville, at a variety of stores.

In any event, I think they and oven roaster bags are great.

I imagine some places don't have many trash compactors in the houses.

I have seen the units here, asked about it, and been told "we don't use that."

Regional/cultural.

Tagless
12-17-2010, 21:01
Rain Man said...

P.S. Don't forget Reynold's oven roaster bags if you want small, clear bags that are super tough.

Great tip Rain Man. Thanks!

Tag-along and I used flex bags on our AT thru and they worked well. I maybe went through 3 bags total and could have done with less.

Compactor bag, flex bag, regular garbage bag...they will all get the job done.

Flippy
12-19-2010, 01:49
Quite a few people used the trash compactor bags, back on the AT in 2004. I slept in the shelters mostly until Damascus, and trash compactor bags are loud and crinkly.

I never said anything to anyone about the noise, but many hikers shared my views and I started pitching my tarptent. The worst case is when people get up before six and wake up everyone in the shelter trying to pack up. But they are cheap and durable - so I can understand why hikers use them.

I started using the Sea-to-Summit Pack Liner (which is not completely waterproof) on the PCT after weeks of non stop rain. I carry it all the time now, and leave the pack cover behind mostly.

Rain Man
12-19-2010, 15:16
Quite a few people used the trash compactor bags, back on the AT in 2004. I slept in the shelters mostly until Damascus, and trash compactor bags are loud and crinkly.

Hmmmm ... that's when my daughter thru'd and I sent her replacement trash compactor bags whenever she asked (which was only once or twice for her whole hike). They are a bit crinkly, but neither loud (IMHO) nor especially out of the normal for anyone packing up in a shelter. Packing up noise just goes with the territory. Again, IMHO.

I never said anything to anyone about the noise, but many hikers shared my views and I started pitching my tarptent.

Makes me think of dogs. Many hikers share the irritations, but none say anything at the time to the culprits. Not sure of the solution to that!

Flippy
12-19-2010, 16:09
Valid points Rain Man...

I quit sleeping in shelters in general after my 2004 thru-hike. Not because of the noise, mostly because just I slept better. When hiking on the AT, I will camp close to the shelters for the social aspect.

I like dogs mainly because I like dogs, but also they keep the food stealing/gear ruining critters away too. Two of the hikers in the group I hiked with in 2006 on the AT for a bit had dogs. Some hikers don't like dogs, and thankfully didn't say anything to upset my friends. After 700 miles of hiking one of my friends dogs had to go home, because the trail was to hard on his dog. It was very hard on him, and he left the trail also in Waynesborro partly because he missed his companion.

Hiking your Own Hike seems to work for me as corny as it sounds. I'm sure I've irratated my share of hikers too. Thankfully they didn't tell me.

Thanks for your support in the contest. What is your daughter's trail name? In 2004 I started March 26 and finished on August 19 & 20th - first summit on Katahdin was all socked in and I couldn't see anything.

(Sorry for the thread drift)

CinciJP
12-19-2010, 17:29
So after reading this, I'm curious if ultralight backpackers use stuff sacks much inside their packs, or not? What I have been planning on doing is using a different stuff sack/compression bag for: 1) my sleeping bag and camp clothes (eVent compression), 2) my hike clothes, 3) my food, and 4) my personal care items and other little stuff. I've been scoping out ultralight silnylon bags for that to hold down weight.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Rocket Jones
12-19-2010, 17:33
So after reading this, I'm curious if ultralight backpackers use stuff sacks much inside their packs, or not? What I have been planning on doing is using a different stuff sack/compression bag for: 1) my sleeping bag and camp clothes (eVent compression), 2) my hike clothes, 3) my food, and 4) my personal care items and other little stuff. I've been scoping out ultralight silnylon bags for that to hold down weight.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Personal items and stuff like my first aid/repair kit and emergency kit get put into ziplocks. It makes it easier to find what I'm looking for.

CinciJP
12-19-2010, 17:43
Personal items and stuff like my first aid/repair kit and emergency kit get put into ziplocks. It makes it easier to find what I'm looking for.

I planned on using those, but figured I'd aggregate some items into stuff sacks also....okay, so I'm OCD. :)

Rain Man
12-19-2010, 18:25
What is your daughter's trail name? In 2004 I started March 26 and finished on August 19 & 20th - first summit on Katahdin was all socked in and I couldn't see anything.

Her name was Grass (short for GrassPicker, for picking M&Ms out of grass/leaves). Started March 1 and summited September 17. I got to climb Katahdin with her!

Some of the names she hiked with along the trail included Flora and Fauna, Patrick the Sole Brother, Slips, Fitz, Uncle Ben, Lekiless, Captain Hook, Satori, Deja Vu, Slim, Biscuit, Bloody Cactus, Nails, Dances with Scarf, Arwen and Heather and dog "Sasha" (the "Camera Crew"), Xena, Bramble, Beavis and Butthead, Scuba, Sevy, Tinder, Nuffy, Pez, LWOP, Wicked Lobstah & dog "Buddy," Dragon Slayer, Rhouchambeaux, Welsh Nomad, Bear Behind, Wounded Elbow, and Tumbleweed.

Flippy
12-19-2010, 18:42
I was an ultra-light weight hiker at the end of my 2004 hike (14 lbs), but since I've become a light weight hiker. These are just my opinions and experiences.

I have a 3 lbs Granite Gear Ozone silnylon/Cordura backpack with a framesheet. It's made it across America 3 times, and when I have problems with it Granite Gear repairs/replaces the parts for free. Sometimes I have to pack 5 days or more of supplies on the PCT and CDT. Not to mention all the water one carries through the desert sections.

I also use the Granite Gear Air bags with the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks and Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Pack Liner. Here's how I pack it from bottom to top:

-Sleeping bag in factory silnylon sack and into a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack.
-Sleep clothes in Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack. Rest of the clothes go into a Granite Gear Air Bag with the sleep clothes sack inside too.
-3rd Bag (Most everything else and it stays at the top - minus food and cooking stuff)

All three bags go into the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Pack Liner. Food bag stays outside the Pack Liner.

Usually I don't even bother with carrying a pack cover, because after a few days of straight rain my pack is soaked anyway.

Below is a picture crossing the Gila River over 100 times in 2 days on the CDT this year. I few times I floated across near the end. My gear stayed dry.

Flippy
12-19-2010, 19:36
Her name was Grass (short for GrassPicker, for picking M&Ms out of grass/leaves). Started March 1 and summited September 17. I got to climb Katahdin with her!

Some of the names she hiked with along the trail included Flora and Fauna, Patrick the Sole Brother, Slips, Fitz, Uncle Ben, Lekiless, Captain Hook, Satori, Deja Vu, Slim, Biscuit, Bloody Cactus, Nails, Dances with Scarf, Arwen and Heather and dog "Sasha" (the "Camera Crew"), Xena, Bramble, Beavis and Butthead, Scuba, Sevy, Tinder, Nuffy, Pez, LWOP, Wicked Lobstah & dog "Buddy," Dragon Slayer, Rhouchambeaux, Welsh Nomad, Bear Behind, Wounded Elbow, and Tumbleweed.

Sorry her name doesn't ring a bell.

Off the top of my head Fitz, Lekiless, Captain Hook, Bloody Cactus, Camera Crew, LWOP, Wicked Lobstah, Dragon Slayer, Welsh Nomad, Bear Behind and Tumbleweed are familar names.

I summited the on the 19th with Captain Hook, Camera Crew, Lekiless and a few others that I caught up with at Abol Bridge. The weather was crap that day and I couldn't see anything. So I summited again the next day with Pita Man - who I'd hiked with loosely since New Hampshire.

BearBehind was hilarious carrying all those stuffed animals pinned to his backpack.

Tumbleweed hiked with Timber, Goldfish, and Coy. I hike with them a bit too, even took my picture at the ATC with them.

CinciJP
12-19-2010, 19:50
I was an ultra-light weight hiker at the end of my 2004 hike (14 lbs), but since I've become a light weight hiker. These are just my opinions and experiences.

I'm trying to stay under 30, so I guess I'm a light weight. :)

I also use the Granite Gear Air bags with the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks and Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Pack Liner. Here's how I pack it from bottom to top:

-Sleeping bag in factory silnylon sack and into a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack.
-Sleep clothes in Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack. Rest of the clothes go into a Granite Gear Air Bag with the sleep clothes sack inside too.
-3rd Bag (Most everything else and it stays at the top - minus food and cooking stuff)

All three bags go into the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Pack Liner. Food bag stays outside the Pack Liner.

That is what I was thinking of doing. I might switch to a compactor bag based on what I'm reading.

Thanks for the info!

Flippy
12-19-2010, 20:54
I'm trying to stay under 30, so I guess I'm a light weight. :)

That is what I was thinking of doing. I might switch to a compactor bag based on what I'm reading.

Thanks for the info!

Lightweight you will probably start out sub 20 with a descent sleeping bag and appropriate cold weather gear before food and water. Add around 2 lbs per day for food and 4 lbs max for water (2 liters is usually more than enough on the AT while hiking). After Pearisburg, VA getting under 14 lbs before food and water is pretty easy. I bought a LuFuma 45 degree down bag in Damascus for $100 when I came back for Trail Days and used it the rest of the way finishing in mid August. Beyond that you may have to pick up some of your cool weather gear around New Hampshire.

Compactor bag is fine, but you always want to make sure that you have a dry sleeping bag and clothes to sleep in at the end of the day.

When my son hiked with me, instead of buying another bag liner I turned a potting soil bag inside out and trimmed the length.

springerfever
12-19-2010, 21:30
When my son hiked with me, instead of buying another bag liner I turned a potting soil bag inside out and trimmed the length.

Pretty ingenious...very similar material to the compactor bags and about the same size!

Flippy
12-20-2010, 18:19
Sorry her name doesn't ring a bell.

Off the top of my head Fitz, Lekiless, Captain Hook, Bloody Cactus, Camera Crew, LWOP, Wicked Lobstah, Dragon Slayer, Welsh Nomad, Bear Behind and Tumbleweed are familar names.

I summited the on the 19th with Captain Hook, Camera Crew, Lekiless and a few others that I caught up with at Abol Bridge. The weather was crap that day and I couldn't see anything. So I summited again the next day with Pita Man - who I'd hiked with loosely since New Hampshire.

BearBehind was hilarious carrying all those stuffed animals pinned to his backpack.

Tumbleweed hiked with Timber, Goldfish, and Coy. I hike with them a bit too, even took my picture at the ATC with them.

RainMan...I was trying to remember your daughter, Grass, and after searching through journals I believe I ran into her in Massachusetts at Slim's parents home. I was looking pretty rough when I ran into Slim he invited me to stay at his parents home and feed me that night.

This is picture of me on the day I may have seen her. I promise I wasn't on anything, except just being happy. I can't believe I'm sharing this picture. I was sporting quite the beard and really into the hike. I had lost tons of weight and was really into the ultralight backpacking. You can bearly even see my backpack.

Can you share any photo's of her on the AT near Massachusetts?

Rain Man
12-20-2010, 21:29
RainMan...I was trying to remember your daughter, Grass, and after searching through journals I believe I ran into her in Massachusetts at Slim's parents home.

From my WB gallery: Dinner at Slim's house--
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/9/3/dinner_at_slims_house-med_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=4180&c=member&imageuser=1293)
Thumbnail at bottom below is another, not in my WB gallery though.

Grass in New York (I think), also from my WB gallery:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/9/3/grass_at_ny-vista-med_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=4166&c=member&imageuser=1293)

Grass at 2,000 miles, also from my WB gallery:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/9/3/2000_mile_sign-med_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=4869&c=member&imageuser=1293)

She really enjoyed her AT hike and says she'd do it again.

ec.hiker
12-20-2010, 21:39
Spring Fever Got the bag thankyou very much I like it better than the force flex bags it is thicker and just seems sturdier!!!!

Flippy
12-20-2010, 21:55
Rainman...Kneebrace sparked my memory. Slim's parents don't have a TV in their home, but there is a satellite TV in the garage apartment. Watched a movie in garage apartment that night.