PDA

View Full Version : Not enough warm clothes????

Mountain_Goat
12-14-2010, 22:26
So i'm planning a march 1st nobo thru hike and as the winter is finally feeling like winter i have been forced to rethink my clothing for atleast the start of my trekk.

can someone help me out and give me a sample list of what has worked for them in terms of cold weather clothing?

Thanks in advance:-?:-?

BrianLe
12-14-2010, 23:19
There are lots of trail journals out there, and some have their gear lists included; for example, here's mine (http://postholer.com/journal/viewGearlist.php?&event_id=533) from my AT trip this year (I started Feb 25th NOBO).

Perhaps an easier format to look at that would be this one (http://www.nwlink.com/%7Ebrianle/AT_Gear_List_Gadget.pdf). Some minor gear adjustments along the way, but on the whole that gear set worked well for me, and of course I mailed home and/or swapped out gear to lighten up after things got warmer. The cold-weather-only stuff is marked in red in the second link above.

Note that when looking at cold weather clothing, it's not a bad idea to look over the sleep system at the same time, as there's sometimes a relationship. For example, I typically wore my parka and down booties inside my sleeping bag to augment the warmth provided.

Blissful
12-14-2010, 23:23
Pack a down or good insulated jacket. Good windproof hat, maybe also a balaclava to start. Gloves. Rain jacket doubles as a wind garment. Winds are a HUGE issue on the AT. They can blow you away. I like midweight Smartwool for insulating pants and shirts.

You are wise to have enough warm weather gear to start. You can always mail stuff home later.

Llama Legs
12-14-2010, 23:29
BrianLe has the points down. I'd look for a thrift store down coat that you wouldn't mind burning a few pin holes in near the fire. Easy to mail home.

a_tigger
12-15-2010, 01:32
Mountain Goat - I'm planning on starting on Mar 2nd (originally 3/1 but logisitics forced a shift in the start date) anyway i wanted to thank you for asking a question that has been heavy on my mind.

BrianLe - thank you for the helpful links.

Aaron

Appalachian Tater
12-15-2010, 08:15
Not only do you need enough clothes to stay warm but you need enough clothes to stay dry. Make sure you you have a change of clothes stashed in something waterproof so that even if you fell in a stream you could set up your tent and put on something dry. This is a good idea even when the weather is not cold because you can get hypothermic even during the summer.

Also think about being able to regulate your temperature easily by quickly removing a layer, adding a wool hat, unzipping vents, etc.

daddytwosticks
12-15-2010, 08:33
As part of your clothes list, include a wallet. A large wallet with plenty of cash and credit cards will help to keep you warm...only kidding, kind of! Extra $ will allow you to buy any needed winter clothing at the first few outfitters and allow some nights in a warm motel room or hostel. Have a great hike. :)

Mountain_Goat
12-15-2010, 08:37
Hey Brain-glad to see there will be other thru hikers along with me.I am sure we will meet up along the way pretty early on if you are starting on the 2nd and me on the 1st.Also glad to see we are close in age.

Goodluck with your final preperations.

bigcranky
12-15-2010, 08:39
March 1st is still winter, even in the South. Expect lows below freezing, with occasional nights in the teens or even single digits. Highs can be anywhere from low 30s to 70 in March.

I like a 4-layer clothing system:

Base layer: a thin, lightweight wool or synthetic long sleeve top.
Wind shirt: a single layer 3-ounce wind shirt. This is very useful on cold, windy days, as it breathes well but adds a surprising amount of warmth for something so light.
Insulation: this is what you wear on breaks and in camp. I prefer something puffy, like a down jacket (Montbell UL Down Inner or Alpine Light), but a 300-wt fleece will work. A softshell or windblock fleece does NOT work well here, in my experience (too heavy and not warm enough.)
Hard shell: a rain shell, like a Goretex or the Marmot Precip. Wear this when it's actually raining or snowing, plus it adds more warmth around camp.

For camp, I always have a dry base layer to put on when I get there, as my hiking base layer is damp from sweat. I like something heavier for camp -- Powerstretch fleece, 100-wt microfleece, something like the Patagonia R-1 or Cap-3 or -4 pullover.

For the legs, a similar system. Light wool or synthetic long johns, shorts or nylon pants (yes I wear shorts even in the winter, over a pair of light long johns they work well.) Rain pants for serious bad weather or cold. In the winter I carry a warmer base layer for camp, too. Mid weight wool socks and trail runners, and a pair of warm dry tall socks for camp and sleeping.

On the trail, I usually hike in base later top, wind shirt if needed, rain shell if it's raining. Shorts most of the time, with long johns if it's really cold. Once I get to camp, I put on my dry base layers and hang my hiking layers to dry a little. Then I put on the rest of my layers as needed. By mixing and matching the various layers, I can be comfortable from 10-F to 80-F on the trail.

thelightinside
12-15-2010, 23:19
For the legs, a similar system. Light wool or synthetic long johns, shorts or nylon pants (yes I wear shorts even in the winter, over a pair of light long johns they work well.)

I'm considering doing this; it's more comfortable than traditional hiking pants, in my opinion. But I'm planning to start nobo mid-March...is it foolish of me to only wear long underwear with lightweight shorts overtop? I know there will be some COLD weather...Am I going to freeze?

bigcranky
12-15-2010, 23:53
While you are hiking it'll be fine. If it's really really cold I'll wear my rain pants, but that's unusual. Have something dry to put on in camp.

Mountain_Goat
12-16-2010, 08:16
During the nights when it's freezing and you strip down your sweat soaked baselayer to put on your dry warm base layer,in the morning,isn't your baselayer you wore the day before that was wet frozen solid?

Diamond Dave
12-16-2010, 10:09
Nothing dries out, shirts, socks or shoes. Unless you have a fire or a dryer. You warm them up in your bag in the AM and put them back on and get moving Unless you have 5 or 6 changes of clothing.

garlic08
12-16-2010, 10:16
Agreed. If my base layer gets wet, I need "wear them dry" because I don't carry spares. Sometimes that means breaking the "rules" and wearing them in the sleeping bag. The great thing about synthetics is they dry very quickly and easily. But you do need to be warm, well fed, and well hydrated to do that, so you need to know how to eat and drink well under adverse conditions. You also need a dry sleeping bag, so if you've made an error and that gets wet, you head to town with your very important wallet!

If you have spares and if your clothing is too wet or nasty to bring in the bag, you can put them in plastic under the bag. It's always above freezing there. I do that sometimes with wet shoes.

bigcranky
12-16-2010, 10:46
I keep my hiking base layers in my bag at night, so they are warm(ish) and not frozen in the morning. The worst part of the day is taking off my warm, dry sleeping layers and putting on my wet hiking layers, but they warm up pretty quickly. I usually wait until I'm ready to hit the trail to do this.

Serial 07
12-16-2010, 12:49
wool base layer for sleeping

patagonia 1/4 zip

synthetic base layer for hiking in

i have another wool 1/4 zip that i bring for extra warmth 'cause i'm usually cold...

montbell therma wrap jacket

montbell raincoat

for my legs i got wool baselayer, convertibles, rainpants...just picked up some montbell down pants as well...excited to try them out!

tiger
12-16-2010, 13:02
Hey thelightinside, I'm also starting mid-March NOBO. I'm going to use military poly-pro bottoms over shorts. They're super cheap and durable. Using a alpine pak 20 degree bag and a home made fleece liner. Also, put your base layers in the bag with you to keep them dry.

Spokes
12-16-2010, 13:24
Check out this tried and true cold weather clothing system (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4)courtesy of the Winton Porter. Tweak it for summer.

People tend to pack more clothes for a long distance hike than needed (yep, I'm guilty too). You generate heat when you hike so no worries there. Staying warm in camp is the trick. Pumping calories in your body, staying dry, covering your head, and having an adequate sleeping bag all help.

Cheers!

thelightinside
12-16-2010, 14:54
Hey thelightinside, I'm also starting mid-March NOBO. I'm going to use military poly-pro bottoms over shorts. They're super cheap and durable. Using a alpine pak 20 degree bag and a home made fleece liner. Also, put your base layers in the bag with you to keep them dry.

I assume you're bringing another base layer for in camp? And is that all you're bringing pants-wise? I haven't done much cold weather hiking and don't want to bring too much or too little..

tiger
12-16-2010, 15:08
Yeah. They're pretty good at wicking sweat. I know people use those hiking pants that zip off, but I'm cheap. I hike in basketball shorts. I mean, wind and when your stopped are really the only a factors. It gets warm when you're moving. Thats just me though.

tiger
12-16-2010, 15:10
Yeah. They're pretty good at wicking sweat. I know people use those hiking pants that zip off, but I'm cheap. I hike in basketball shorts. I mean, wind and when your stopped are really the only a factors. It gets warm when you're moving. Thats just me though.

I was talking about the poly-pros

AmyJanette
12-17-2010, 18:35
I'm planning on starting mid to late April, NOBO...will a pair of fleece lounge pants be warm enough for in camp or will I need another base layer? Also, i don't think I'll need one, but opinions on getting a bag liner? (I have a Big Agnes Roxy Ann 650 fill down bag rated to 15).

Del Q
12-17-2010, 21:57
Backpacking light merino wool tee shirt
Thin Patagonia capilene
Go Lite wind shirt
Mont Bell synthetic jacket
Rain Jacket
Balaclava
Fleece Hat
Fleece gloves
Event mittens
Merino wool long underwear
North Face convertible pants
Rain pants

15 degree sleeping bag in COLD.........spent a week sub freezing with no problems.

Only real cold time is in the am - when moving layers come off

garlic08
12-18-2010, 09:09
I'm planning on starting mid to late April, NOBO...will a pair of fleece lounge pants be warm enough for in camp or will I need another base layer? Also, i don't think I'll need one, but opinions on getting a bag liner? (I have a Big Agnes Roxy Ann 650 fill down bag rated to 15).

My opinion is that you'll be plenty warm and will quickly want to lighten up. The bag may be a little too warm by mid-May, and you'll probably be wanting to send the fleece pants home by then.

I've never met a bag liner that was worth its weight and fuss for me. I think you'll find opinions here to be pretty divided on that issue.

Your later start is a smart move, weather-wise.

AmyJanette
12-18-2010, 15:52
Thanks! :) I'm thinking with all the stuff I've got already I'll likely send half of it home when I step off the plane...LOL.

I have never used a bag liner, but I see so many gear lists with them on that I was kinda half thinking about getting one. Never having hiked that far south or in mountains before, I'm not 100% sure what to expect - I keep hearing horror stories about mountain weather and to never turn your back on it. But what I think I'll do is not bother with a bag liner and if I find I'm chilly I'll pick one up along the way. With the later start and my layers, I imagine I'll be okay.

I'm from Canada and I live in a snowbelt on the lee side of Lake Huron, and used to live in Thunder Bay where it would regularly hit -30C temps so I'm well aware of the dangers of hypothermia and I don't want to risk it. I've also had frostbite (its practically a rite of passage around here!) and i'd rather not go through that again...I would rather carry an extra pound or two to start and send things home along the way once I know what to expect than get caught without something I need. OTOH, I am likely worrying over nothing - I have my layers and a 15F bag should be plenty warm enough for the late start.

But I'd rather worry about being cold when I'm warm at home than when I'm cold on the trail!

Indi
12-18-2010, 18:28
I have never used a bag liner, but I see so many gear lists with them on that I was kinda half thinking about getting one. Never having hiked that far south or in mountains before, I'm not 100% sure what to expect - I keep hearing horror stories about mountain weather and to never turn your back on it. But what I think I'll do is not bother with a bag liner and if I find I'm chilly I'll pick one up along the way. With the later start and my layers, I imagine I'll be okay

My AT thru will be my first super LD hike, so I can't necessarily chime in on whether or not it's required. I have a silk sleeping bag liner and I find it lowers the bag rating considerably for me - easily 5-10 degrees - and it weighs about 4oz for the standard Jagbag. That thing saved me from bedbugs in hostels across Asia and Europe, so I'm biased towards it anyway. :) But I personally am taking it with me (it's super comfortable) - however, your bag is already rated lower than mine is (mine's a 20deg), so maybe you don't really need it?

Ironbelly
12-19-2010, 07:23
For down to 0F(and probally lower) I wear the following:

Legs:
Zamberlan all leather boots
-smartwool trekking socks and liner
Army BDU winter pants
-Exoffico? boxer briefs
-capaline 2 long johns
ECWCS Goretex pants

Torso:
ECWCS Goretex parka
-nano puff
-pantagonia fleece vest
-columbia ti l/s shirt
-underarmor cold gear baselayer

Head:
Smartwool beanie
balaclava
and a synthetic hood off an old hunting jacket that works perfect idependantly or with my parka

Hands:
OR Endeavor mitts
-ems fleece fingerless/mittens
-smartwool liner glove

When moving I typically only wear the bdu pants and coldgear baselayer with my l/s shirt. Everything else for the most part only comes out in camp or foul weather. I used to use the TNF convertible pants, but I like to have a fire especially in the winter. And one tiny little ember from the fire landed on my pants and instantly burned a giant hole. The 50/50% nylon/cotton bdu pants dry quick and are about 1000x more durable and wont melt a giant hole when exposed to a tiny little pop from a fire. ymmv

One of the best additions to my kit was that old hood of my hunting jacket. Man, that makes all the difference on a really cold day.

Ironbelly
12-19-2010, 07:25
I forgot to add that I just use a surplus ccf pad and a prolite 4, and a 15F down bag. and wear some layers in the bag to supplement ad needed. Been super comfy so far down to 0F