PDA

View Full Version : Governor Clement Shelter

Gimp
12-19-2004, 12:23
Hands down ~ our worst night on the trail. It started with the rifle shots intermittantly from suppertime onwards to the local ATV riders who drove through the site until 2 am and then the truck that did donuts at 0400 was the final straw.
The trail shpuld be rerouted or somehow gated off to keep these yahoos out.
Gimp Ga-Me '03

Footslogger
12-19-2004, 12:26
Yeah ...and if I recall correctly, it's a pretty good little climb out of North Clarendon too.

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Solemates
12-20-2004, 11:05
I just cant believe you spent the night in that dump.

A-Train
12-20-2004, 12:42
I'd like to seriously recommend folks don't stay there and circle this shelter with a big red marker in your planning books. It's right on a forest road and is a popular spot for partying, both for local teenagers and older folks. The shelter itself resembles the old smokies shelters, but even on the nicest days this place is a dump and dark and dirty. Garbage is all over the fire circle.

In 03' my friends stayed here while I treked it up to Cooper Lodge and they had not one but two unpleasant situations which resulted in a friend of mine having to confront 2 different groups of people. Needless to say it wasn't a very restful night.

I'd highly recommend pushing up to Cooper Lodge for great sunsets on Killington or pushing over to the newer Churchill Scott shelter. If you don't think you can make it over Killington, there are several good "stealth" sites south of Govt. Clement. In 04' I put up my hammock right along Gould Brook, which is a beautiful quiet place to stay the night.

Big Oak
12-20-2004, 15:13
Sounds like the Redneck Riviera.

Peaks
12-20-2004, 22:36
I'd like to seriously recommend folks don't stay there and circle this shelter with a big red marker in your planning books. It's right on a forest road and is a popular spot for partying, both for local teenagers and older folks.

I believe that both Wingfoot and the ALDHA Companion give you fair warning about this shelter.

Blue Jay
12-21-2004, 08:20
I'd like to seriously recommend folks don't stay there and circle this shelter with a big red marker in your planning books. It's right on a forest road and is a popular spot for partying, both for local teenagers and older folks.

Now if you're a teenager at heart or an older folk who likes to party, this shelter is one of the best on the AT. I've had absolutely great trail majic there. It is a Red Neck Riviera and the Yahoos are great. If you want to sleep there are over a thousand miles to the south and hundreds to the north.

Cehoffpauir
12-22-2004, 04:41
I believe that both Wingfoot and the ALDHA Companion give you fair warning about this shelter.

Yes, they do. As well as The Long Trail Guide.

bartender
12-23-2004, 02:01
There is a new "secret shelter" just south of Gov. Clement. It sleeps 4-6, is on private property, has a good water source, and is beautifully built with beams taken from the trees they cleared. The privy was still a work in progress this past August, but is most likely done by now. There was even beer and soda in the stream. A sobo told us to look for the map in the ziplock on a tree. I'm not sure how known the place is now but there were several entries in the register. We signed in as Huff n Puff, Bug, and Pirate. It was one of the best nights we had on our LT hike!

fuzz
12-23-2004, 20:45
I was lucky enough not to have any problems when I set up my tent near the shelter. Although I could tell that people partied there on a regular basis. And the burned out car on the forest road outside the shelter wasn't a good omen. If you're going north and can handle a 5 mile hike up Killington, then keep moving since there's a great (but drafty) shelter near the top with tenting platforms. I've heard many rumors about that secret shelter to the south, but I didn't see the ziploc bag with directions when I passed through last summer. My two cents: Governor clement shelter should be bulldozed and replaced by another away from that forest road.

MoBeach42
02-08-2007, 20:11
The secret shelter IS awesome. There will probably be directions to it on the trail near the road/bridge crossing a mile or two before Governor Clement. As of this summer (2006) the privy was still not finished, if I recall.

The Solemates
02-09-2007, 11:29
The secret shelter IS awesome. There will probably be directions to it on the trail near the road/bridge crossing a mile or two before Governor Clement. As of this summer (2006) the privy was still not finished, if I recall.

Is there another "secret shelter"? The only one I know of is in NJ. Gov Clement is in VT.

swamp dawg
02-09-2007, 12:06
We stayed there three years ago and I can truly say it ranks as one of the worst on the trail. When you first approach the shelter it does not look all that bad but a closer look reveals a mess. We would have moved on but a long day of hiking weakened our resolve to move on. The night there was wild with folks driving up all night,shining lights into the shelter etc. ,just not a re****l night. The shelter need to be relocated to avoid all the many forest roads that lead to this site. It would be a good idea to tent prior to or just beyond this shelter while on the trail in this area.

rafe
02-09-2007, 12:32
IIRC, Clarendon shelter is just a few miles south of Gov. Clements. GC has been a problem for years and years, from what I hear. It never fails: convenient access by road means trouble.

neo
02-09-2007, 12:35
[quote=Gimp;73677]Hands down ~ our worst night on the trail. It started with the rifle shots intermittantly from suppertime onwards to the local ATV riders who drove through the site until 2 am and then the truck that did donuts at 0400 was the final straw.
Gimp Ga-Me '03[/quote

:D so vermont has rednecks huh:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 12:37
[quote=Gimp;73677]Hands down ~ our worst night on the trail. It started with the rifle shots intermittantly from suppertime onwards to the local ATV riders who drove through the site until 2 am and then the truck that did donuts at 0400 was the final straw.
Gimp Ga-Me '03[/quote

more so in northern vermont. i lived there for 10 winters. fine conservative folks

rafe
02-09-2007, 12:38

They seem to be drawn to mountains and remote places. ;)

neo
02-09-2007, 12:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=319258#post319258)

They seem to be drawn to mountains and remote places.

i would love to take on some rednecks from vermont,sounds like fun to me:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 12:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=319258#post319258)

i would love to take on some rednecks from vermont,sounds like fun to me:cool: neo

whatcha mean "take on some rednecks"

neo
02-09-2007, 13:03
whatcha mean "take on some rednecks"

:D kick their butts dude,i can be a bad a-- in the woods if i have to:cool: neo

DavidNH
02-09-2007, 13:42
Why did you stay there in the first place?

THE GMC comes right out and says that hikers should not stay there. The place is dumpy and very close to a road.

I do remember the secret shelter.. I took the detour as I heard there was a promise of cookies there! :)

They oughta really just tear the place down and clean it up.
DavidNH

rafe
02-09-2007, 13:47
more so in northern vermont. i lived there for 10 winters. fine conservative folks

They seem to prefer very liberal representatives, though. Leahy, Jeffords, Saunders.... :D

wilconow
07-08-2007, 19:29
There is a new "secret shelter" just south of Gov. Clement. It sleeps 4-6, is on private property, has a good water source, and is beautifully built with beams taken from the trees they cleared. The privy was still a work in progress this past August, but is most likely done by now. There was even beer and soda in the stream. A sobo told us to look for the map in the ziplock on a tree. I'm not sure how known the place is now but there were several entries in the register. We signed in as Huff n Puff, Bug, and Pirate. It was one of the best nights we had on our LT hike!

The "Swan Song" secret shelter is great. Privy is still being worked on, but you can use it. Sleeps 6 comfortably, tent sites around, great water source. The dirt road is a little close and I believe a car woke me up a couple times. The caretaker stopped by.. she is an AT and PCT thru-hiker and used to be the caretaker for Blackburn.

There were directions to the shelter in a ziploc under a rock, just south of the road crossing before the road you actually turn on.

I had my ipod on while passing Gov' Clement in the morning. Just waved the locals hanging out there (it was July 4th). There were two pick-up trucks parked right there. Someone told me they were showing a revolver. The GMC caretaker for the area was alerted.

mark schofield
08-31-2008, 21:00
The latest GMC magazine says that a gate has been installed to close the roadway to the shelter up to 9/15. To keep the local partying down. Has anyone actually seen the gate and/or had better experiences there this year. Thanks, Mark S.

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2008, 21:06
The latest GMC magazine says that a gate has been installed to close the roadway to the shelter up to 9/15. To keep the local partying down. Has anyone actually seen the gate and/or had better experiences there this year. Thanks, Mark S.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40504&highlight=gate+shelter

mark schofield
08-31-2010, 13:07
As of 2010, is Gov. Clement shelter still as awful as it's been in the past. Or has the gate on the access road made it more livable for hikers and less attractive for keg parties, ect. I'll be going by in a few weeks and maby should go to the sercret shelter, where I stayed a few years back. Any info from this summer season will be appreciated. Thanks, Mark S.

Dave G
08-31-2010, 14:06
We stayed there in late July (July 22, I think) and it was just fine. GMC had completely replaced the sleeping platform and may have been doing some further work (there was some lumber stacked in front of the shelter). It was just us and a young couple with their dog and we didn't see any evidence of recent keg parties, etc. As you probably know the water source is great. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

mark schofield
09-02-2010, 09:42
thanks for the update. I'll post my impressions in a few weeks. Mark S.

Blissful
09-03-2010, 20:50
The road to it opens mid Sept. Might be a different story...

mark schofield
09-04-2010, 17:16
thanks for the update Blissful. perhaps I should continue down the road to the secret shelter..

double d
09-05-2010, 15:42
I stayed at GCS back in early July, 2010. I camped next to the river, a nice flat location, just down from the shelter. No problems with the locals, although it was mid-week, maybe weekends are different. I also believe that the FS road has a lock-gate on it, note sure what that means as I didnt see it. But to be honest, the GCS seemed okay to me, rather older shelter, but nothing stands out about it either.

Tinker
09-05-2010, 23:42
Back when I made a habit of staying at shelters I found that this one had more mice than any I'd stayed in previously. This would be a good shelter to convince folks that they should carry a tent or hammock :).

Pedaling Fool
09-06-2010, 08:15
The road to it opens mid Sept. Might be a different story...
Just out of curiosity...

Any one know why "they" would open this road since, if I understand it correctly, this was the root cause of all the problems at this shelter? And who is they?

I never seen this shelter, but I understand this was one of the more notorious on the trail for a local party spot.

Pedaling Fool
09-06-2010, 08:23
Just out of curiosity...

Any one know why "they" would open this road since, if I understand it correctly, this was the root cause of all the problems at this shelter? And who is they?

I never seen this shelter, but I understand this was one of the more notorious on the trail for a local party spot.
I just read this on their website https://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=136 Note the second to last sentence. I guess that's the answer...:confused:

"The recent installation of a gate limiting motorized access to the Governor Clement Shelter in Shrewsbury is good news for overnight hikers. The Shrewsbury select board found a solution after years of discussion and concern regarding rowdy evening activities at the shelter during hiking season. The stone walled shelter, built in 1929, had long ago become a difficult place to spend a quiet night in the woods. Townspeople, the Green Mountain Club (GMC), Appalachian Trail Conservancy, Green Mountain National Forest, and Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation had been working to limit motorized access so that hikers, anglers, hunters and snowmobilers could continue to enjoy what is now one of the oldest shelters on the Long Trail and the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. The gate will be locked and closed to unauthorized motor vehicles from April 15 to September 15. GMC will post signs both north and south of the shelter so hikers will be aware of the gate closure period."

Cosmo
09-06-2010, 12:18
Just out of curiosity...

It's opened for hunters, and later for snowmobile traffic. The gate is on an old road that is used to access the local woods. The AT shares resources with many different visitors. "Green Mountain National Forest, land of many uses". If the town had not approved the gate, GMC was prepared to demolish the shelter.

Cosmo

Pedaling Fool
09-06-2010, 15:41
It's opened for hunters, and later for snowmobile traffic. The gate is on an old road that is used to access the local woods. The AT shares resources with many different visitors. "Green Mountain National Forest, land of many uses". If the town had not approved the gate, GMC was prepared to demolish the shelter.

Cosmo
O.K., I can see that. The way I was reading it I interpreted it as saying that they installed the gate to keep out ALL locals for the sake of a hikers, hunters, anglers and snowmobilers.

dsquid
10-10-2011, 22:27
Some of the access roads have been washed out, limiting access. The floor has been repaired. We didn't stay there, but
it seems improved.

Grayhair
01-19-2012, 16:05
Stayedat the Gov. Clement shelter July 2011 and no problems! The gate seems to beworking. This shelter is one of theolder ones and still has a fire place built right into the wall. It was nice to have a fire going to dry out ourgear and add some ambiance. The only traffic in and around the shelter was otherAT hikers. Just a side not, there isgreat water at this shelter, less than 50 yards away. Good tenting also.

bamboo bob
01-19-2012, 16:12
Stayed there in 2010 on a LT thru-hike with my wife. It was totally fine. There was a pile of lumber ready for them to do something with and it made a good picnic table.

twoperthapooper2
02-21-2012, 13:50
i stayed at this shelter when i thru-hiked in 2011 and they had recently closed that road off to the public so crazy rednecks can't drive their ATV's up there any more and it was a very comfortable shelter to stay at.

DavidNH
02-21-2012, 14:57
No one should ever stay at Governor Clement Shelter. Place is a dump and the GMC clearly discourages anyone staying there. But beyond that, it's a dump.. more a place for drunken locals to gather than actual hikers. Keep hiking, there are better places ahead!

Jeff
02-21-2012, 15:43
No one should ever stay at Governor Clement Shelter. Place is a dump and the GMC clearly discourages anyone staying there. But beyond that, it's a dump.. more a place for drunken locals to gather than actual hikers. Keep hiking, there are better places ahead!

Things have changed...for the better. The Shelter has been improved and all reports I heard in 2011 were positive.

Landshark
07-10-2012, 13:13
I live in the area and have heard only positive reports from summer 2011. The road to the shelter has been completely washed away by Irene so it's impossible to drive to it. Still accessible on foot following the cold river road area roadwalk (nobo)

rainmaker
07-10-2012, 19:47
Stayed there last July and it was fine.

Cookerhiker
07-10-2012, 21:14
It was OK when I stayed there on my '07 LT thruhike (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=259025). What I remember mostly is that the roof overhang is extensive and angled such that inside the shelter is very dark.

Cosmo
08-18-2013, 13:45
August 2013. Shelter has new roof. Gate to road is locked through Sept 15th. Nice campsites along river and around shelter. A really nice stop.

Cosmo

Dahoyt
01-06-2014, 11:21
Bridge is gone, I stayed there March 2012, and had a bad encounter with a big group of snowmobiles... But the other times I have stayed there more recently, it's been fine. The Secret Shelter is a great option too...

Undershaft
01-06-2014, 16:15
I spent a Saturday night in this shelter last July and found it to be a very nice place. It was pretty dark inside, but clean, and I had the whole shelter to myself. The only people I saw were some thru-hikers tenting nearby. A great night listening to the radio and the rain after a depressing day of hiking.

walkin' wally
02-13-2014, 08:43
Hello

Its been a long time since my hike, and my last post, but I have a question... Is the Governor Clement shelter the one with a concrete box spring about 75 yards out in front that is the water supply for the shelter?? I have forgotten which shelter that was but the water was awful. It was a run-down stone shelter though just beside a small rocky hill that was northbound (left side ).

Thanks

Wally

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 09:59
Hello

Its been a long time since my hike, and my last post, but I have a question... Is the Governor Clement shelter the one with a concrete box spring about 75 yards out in front that is the water supply for the shelter?? I have forgotten which shelter that was but the water was awful. It was a run-down stone shelter though just beside a small rocky hill that was northbound (left side ).

Thanks

Wally
http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/11292/tj11292_102110_110105_579887.jpg?20101021111849
Found this pic for ya.

Slo-go'en
02-13-2014, 10:47
Gov. Clement shelter is in a fairly flat area, a little south of Killington. It is one of two shelters made of stone, the other being Copper lodge near the top of Killington. The Clement shelter has a new wooden sleeping platform and the access roads have been gated, so the drunken parties by locals are less frequent now.

Slo-go'en
02-13-2014, 10:48
Darn, I need to make a donation again so I can edit - it's cooper lodge not copper.

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 11:15
Darn, I need to make a donation again so I can edit - it's cooper lodge not copper.

Yes- Yes, you do... the worst part is your avatar is MIA! :p

About this shelter... I read in a TJ that the locals loved to hang out at this shelter. Seems they thought is was funny to mess around with the hikers. :mad: I'm guessing it used to have a gate across the front of it? Anyway, they closed the gate and locked the hikers inside the shelter. Good to hear that they gated the access roads to the shelter. :)

A former thru-hiker started a secret shelter not far away from this one. I would stay at the secret shelter, if I had the choice.

lemon b
02-16-2014, 14:49
Its hit or miss. Certainly nothing like the old Campbell Area down South years back. Where all that land got taken by that family, which created resentment, where signs got changed. Gunshots when off, off kinds of resentful kid stuff. Stayed a step ahead in that area first none hiker I meet introduced myself as D. Campbell from up North. Got feed instead of badgered. Forget if that was NC or Tenn. But that area was dangerous for awhile unless one didn't scare easy. And the name I gave was an outright lie.

walkin' wally
02-17-2014, 17:45
Thank you, HikerMom58

I guess that was it. Memories are fading now. I didn't stay there. The bunk area was broken down as I remember, partly collapsed. I must have got water somewhere nearby though.

Wally

pyroman53
08-09-2015, 20:44
Just checking on recent conditions. Am I good to go staying at this shelter this Fall? Any problems reported lately?

Jeff
08-10-2015, 05:32
No problems reported by hikers this year.

4Days
01-20-2016, 19:11
I stayed their last year. Things are better now, no road access during the hiking season, I tented. The Shelter is dark and gross. River is amazing - Privy was good as well. Head upstream from the shelter and their is a nice flat spot by the water. Near that is a deep hole - great for skinny dippin!!!! I would not stay their again if I had a choice.

Pajj
01-20-2016, 19:52
There is indeed a secret shelter in a half mile radius of this shelter

Cookerhiker
12-29-2019, 19:56

Gov. Clement Shelter from rear, Oct 2019