PDA

View Full Version : black bear research center

Chicken Feathers
12-14-2010, 23:26
All you ever wanted to know about black bear. The center has put a video cam in Lily's den and she is expecting again you might get lucky and see the birth. The link is www.bear.org check it out. :-?

stumpknocker
12-15-2010, 08:36
I went out of my way this summer on my way home from the CDT to visit the Bear Center AND the Wolf Center, both in Ely, MN.

It's a touristy area, but I learned a lot at both Centers. :)

The Solemates
12-15-2010, 10:45
wow. was -24 F there when i checked. brrr

SouthMark
12-15-2010, 10:51
Was fortunate enough to catch Lilly giving birth to hope in February. Been following them ever since on Facebook.

tiptoe
12-15-2010, 13:07
thanks for posting this, chicken feathers. I missed the birth last year, but I loved watching hope and lily in march.

Luddite
12-15-2010, 13:23
I was just watching the web cam last night. Pretty cool except you can't see the bears since they're hibernating.

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 17:21
I was just watching the web cam last night. Pretty cool except you can't see the bears since they're hibernating..
Luddite you will not see much but a big fur ball in the winter. They are working on putting a video can in Lily and Hope den it was suppose to be up in mid December but they run into some set backs but suppose to be up by January. Have you checked the site and saw some of the old video post. The one introduction to bear is priceless or should I saythe look on the cameraman face when Lynn approached Lily.

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 17:29
thanks for posting this, chicken feathers. I missed the birth last year, but I loved watching hope and lily in march.
Tiptoe be sure and check back they are putting a video cam in Lily and Hope den again this year. There are some pretty interesting facts about black bear on the site. I don't know about you but I have heard some pretty scary facts about black bear before I found this site. I am sure that all bear don't act like these bears but most bears are much more scared of you than you are of them. Keep watching and you might want to sign up for their facebook feed. Its free so check it out.

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 17:32
Was fortunate enough to catch Lilly giving birth to hope in February. Been following them ever since on Facebook.
SouthMark hiked with a guy this spring that lives in northern alabama what part of Alabama do you live in?

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 17:35
Have you check Ely temperature lately. Great hiking weather if you are a bear na they are sleeping now, maybe an Eskimo

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 17:37
I went out of my way this summer on my way home from the CDT to visit the Bear Center AND the Wolf Center, both in Ely, MN.

It's a touristy area, but I learned a lot at both Centers. :) Stumpknocker what a great site with a wealth of information. I wished I was as comfortable around bear as Lynn is.

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 17:41

It's a touristy area, but I learned a lot at both Centers. :)
Stumpknocker I hit the submit to soon It look to me that it is well worth the extra effort to check the center out.

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 17:49
I read a while back that Lily might be pregnant again but the Research Center does not want to disturb her to check because they are putting in the video cam and that is causing enough disturbance.

SouthMark
12-23-2010, 18:32
Chicken Feathers, I live in West Central Alabama, Northport. Oh and it was January 22 when Hope was born. Not in February like I posted earlier.

LIhikers
12-23-2010, 19:29

My wife and I have been to Ely twice in winter.
Both times were to do dog sled camping trips.
Nothing like spending the night laying on a frozen lake at -25 below zero :D

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 20:37
Chicken Feathers, I live in West Central Alabama, Northport. Oh and it was January 22 when Hope was born. Not in February like I posted earlier.
the guy I meet is in Northern Alabama. Check this site out I like the introduction to bear the face on the English reporter is priceless. Here is the site http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/American_Black_Bear#p00cx4tf

Chicken Feathers
12-23-2010, 20:40
Was fortunate enough to catch Lilly giving birth to hope in February. Been following them ever since on Facebook. SouthMark like your quote. Sounds like you are not 17-18 years old. LOL

Chicken Feathers
12-25-2010, 15:52
Nothing like spending the night laying on a frozen lake at -25 below zero :D Can't get enough of the black bears at the research center guess I will be hibernating with lily and Hope this winter. :banana:banana

SouthMark
12-25-2010, 18:13
Chicken Feathers, Lily and Hope are on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/lily.the.black.bear

TheTwanger
12-25-2010, 18:47
Wow, this site has actually eased my fear of bears in ten minutes of browsing. The den videos remind me of my cats!

Chicken Feathers
12-25-2010, 20:24
Wow, this site has actually eased my fear of bears in ten minutes of browsing. The den videos remind me of my cats! Twanger you can get more information about black bear than you can digest. Warning you can get attached and spend lots of time watching.

TIDE-HSV
12-26-2010, 21:00
I thought polar bears were bleached-out black bears. Well, not really, but close cousins, closer than the dish-faced brown bear family. They have the noble Roman nose like blacks...

Chicken Feathers
12-28-2010, 22:43
Another day, another day closer to views of Lily and Hope. Nobody has been to their den since October 29—before all the snow. We’re wondering how the opening will look covered with enough snow to bury it—or nearly so. So far, over three feet of snow has fallen, but it settled. When Lynn and Donna took their walk on Christmas, they sank down 16-18 inches without snowshoes. :banana

hal0ofwint3r
12-29-2010, 02:25
nabc website is awesome, i check it out quite frequently. sorry, i just had to post this, because yes it is cool.

Chicken Feathers
12-30-2010, 23:01
Video cam is up and running. From what I have read it is movement activated and will turn on instantly when bears move.

SouthMark
12-30-2010, 23:12
Yes video cam is up and running but Lynn is going to have to reposition it and clean the lens hopefully tomorrow. Lilly licked the lens and the view is very foggy at the moment. They are also working on a better sound system.

Sarcasm the elf
12-31-2010, 00:08
Is this from the bear cam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1pIO4_lUY

(Yes, I know I am a bad person)

Chicken Feathers
01-01-2011, 16:12
Is this from the bear cam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1pIO4_lUY

(Yes, I know I am a bad person)
No this happened in Montana, Bear center is in Ely Minnesota. Nothing going on at this time as video cam shows, Lily must be sleeping.

Chicken Feathers
01-01-2011, 16:16
Nothing like spending the night laying on a frozen lake at -25 below zero :D What was the rating for your sleeping bag?