PDA

View Full Version : Backpack dilemma

Buffalo Skipper
12-15-2010, 11:03
I am having a quandry surrounding my current backpack, and may be interested in replacing it. I have an Osprey Aether 70, which I really like, except for the hip belt. It is an isoform belt that was never molded. I do not find this belt comfortable, and in fact, my right leg goes a little numb when I am packed. I mainly weekend hike, and I have gotten my load down from 40ish to just under 30 (fully loaded, with 2.5 l water, fuel and food), and I now have a significant amount of unused space in my pack.

I am considering going to an under 3lb pack (my Aether 70 weights in at just over 5lb). I do really like the Ospreys, but would consider something else. Top of my list is the Exos 58.

What other packs should I be considering for a 25-30 lb load? I am very weight conscious, but I do like some comforts and am not looking to go much below a 25 lb pack weight.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Phreak
12-15-2010, 11:16
Granite Gear Vapor Trail for loads up to 30 pounds.

mykl
12-15-2010, 13:00
I've been using the Osprey Talon 44 for weekends. Fits nice, has plenty of room (6 pack of beer included), and is more comfortable than the Aether (I had the Aether 60, but wasn't crazy about the belt too, to stiff). BTW, you supposedly don't need to have the Aether belt formed, it should do it on it's own after a few wears, at least that's what I was told by a salesperson.

Luddite
12-15-2010, 13:22
Granite Gear Vapor Trail for loads up to 30 pounds.

That would be a good choice or...http://ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp.

verber
12-15-2010, 13:30
Gossamer Gear pack with shaped stays, Six Moon Designs with Stays and/or Foam pad for suspension, Granite Gear Vapor Trail, ULA. I wrote up some brief notes about light weight packs (http://www.) options you might find helpful.

--Mark

verber
12-15-2010, 13:31
opps link didn't work. Should have been http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html#light

burntoutphilosopher
12-15-2010, 17:37
i love my circuit in that weight range. good light weight pack with a wonderfully functional suspension.

skinewmexico
12-15-2010, 19:24
ULA Circuit or Catalyst. I sold my Exos 58 to fund my Catalyst. If you think the hip belt you have now is bad, wait until you try the Exos. I shouldn't say that, because it apparently fits a lot of (skinny) people. Sure didn't work for me, but it's a well thought out pack.

Bags4266
12-15-2010, 19:42
Just as a note Gossamer packs are on sale right now.

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks.html

Ladytrekker
12-15-2010, 19:44
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/ladytrekker/AT-SpringertoHawkMtn003.jpg
I use a ULA Circuit I find the smaller pack makes me carry less there is a method to my madness.

Buffalo Skipper
12-15-2010, 19:52
ULA Circuit or Catalyst. I sold my Exos 58 to fund my Catalyst. If you think the hip belt you have now is bad, wait until you try the Exos. I shouldn't say that, because it apparently fits a lot of (skinny) people. Sure didn't work for me, but it's a well thought out pack.

No need to apologize. I am looking for good informed information. I am right now 6'1", 195 lbs with 36" waist and a big of a bulge. I am working to get that to about 34-35" and 180 lbs. It's a catch 22. I want to do more backpacking to get to this size/wt, and I want to get to this size/wt so backpacking can be better for me.

I have tried on the Exos while at an REI store earlier in the Fall (no REI where I live), and with 25 lbs, it felt better than the Aether (in the hip belt), but not as comfortable on the shoulders. But the 2.5 lbs less of pack was nice and noticable.

So far I have votes for the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and ULA Circuit. And my vote for the Exos. Any other suggestions?

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2010, 19:56
Osprey's Atmos 50 and Atmos 65 are among the most popular (and most seen) packs on the A.T. in recent years and they don't weigh much over 3 pounds. Would also look at Granite Gear. Lots of problems this year with ULA's (perhaps due to ownership/manufacturing changes). Osprey and Granite Gear have been for many years the most popular and most reliable backpacks on the A.T. and I don't think this is an accident.

nitewalker
12-15-2010, 20:00
granite gear vapor trail. i liked the 1st one i bought so much i recently purchased another one. never had an issue with this pack.....

Boothill
12-15-2010, 20:02
the atmos 50, maybe a little heavier (3lb. 6oz.) than what your looking for, but carries 25lbs very nicely, and is very comfortable, it's what i have and i really like it, hard to beat their guarantee too.......

boot

Buffalo Skipper
12-15-2010, 20:29
the atmos 50, maybe a little heavier (3lb. 6oz.) than what your looking for, but carries 25lbs very nicely, and is very comfortable, it's what i have and i really like it, hard to beat their guarantee too.......

boot

I also have an Osprey Stratos 24 for a day pack. I really like the quality of the Osprey products, which led me to lean toward the Exos for the weight.

Buffalo Skipper
12-15-2010, 21:09
Looking more closely at ULA packs, I guess I would be more interested in the Ohm. Can I fish for any comments on this pack?

WhoDey
12-15-2010, 21:38
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=23&category_id=11

I have been looking for a lighter pack as well. The SMD Starlite is frameless but you can buy it with stays. All the reviews I have found have been good about this pack

runfifty
12-15-2010, 21:41
I recommend the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. Lightweight, carries a lot and super durable.

10-K
12-15-2010, 21:51
I have a Catalyst that I use for trips over 2 nights and a Six Moon Designs Swift pack for shorter trips. Both are excellent packs.

Bucherm
12-16-2010, 02:04
I second(thirded?) the Catalyst. I felt I was rolling the dice a bit in ordering it online without trying it on, but the sizing was nailed and I really enjoy it. I find myself using it (nearly) fully loaded for day hikes as well as weekenders, as I like the giant mesh pockets(my Marmot Aspen 35 doesn't have pockets).

Franco
12-16-2010, 05:09
Buffalo Skipper
looks to me that your requirements are at the upper limits of the Ohm.
keep in mind that a lot of the capacity listed for the ULA packs is in the pockets not the main compartment.
As a comparison the Circuit is smaller than the Aether 60.
Personally I also prefer the roll top of the new Circuit compared with the cinch version of the Ohm.
Franco

Big Suave
12-18-2010, 00:17
ULA Fo Sho!!!!

rapchizzle
12-30-2010, 13:29
I'll also recommend the Atmos 50 by Osprey. I've got one and LOVE it. I also have an Aether 70 and am selling it because I just don't use it enough. I'm selling the Atmos 50 as well but that's just so I can get the 2010 version!

jabber
12-31-2010, 22:20
I was always a osprey fan... owning both a kestrel & atmos. (I still use a mantas for day hikes)....but I ordered a belltoro 70 i found on sell & have been so happy with it, its a tad on the heavy side but the comfort makes up for it.

Jab.

DLANOIE
12-31-2010, 23:58
I carry the atmos for day hikes and a ULA P2 for longer trips. I love them both. Cant go wrong with any of these companies packs. I have no experience with GG but I do see alot of there packs on the trails. That says alot to me!

jabber
01-01-2011, 12:51
mantas

belltorro

Uuuuuuhhhm........... That would be a Osprey "Manta" and a Gregory "Baltorro 70"

I would like to say I was drinking, but I wasn't. My wife musta slipped me a huge glass of "Stupid" when I wasn't looking. :)

Jab.

hikerboy57
01-01-2011, 13:20
I've got the Atmos 65, its a bit more spacious than the 50 but when you, have a bladder in the sleeve, it eats into your pack space, so I like having the extra room, still cariies well,I love the ventilated back in the summer, too.

skinewmexico
01-01-2011, 14:27
ULA is made in Utah. What more could you want? SMD is made in the USA too. Nothing wrong with supporting domestic manufacturers.

TrekkerJeff
01-01-2011, 15:14
Buffalo Skipper, we have the Exos 58's and are very happy with them thus far. We also have the Osprey Stratos 24 for day hiking as well.

mstone
01-03-2011, 13:35
I bought the ULA Circuit at the beginning of last year (2010, weird). I love it. I had the Osprey Aether 70. Gr3eat pack, but as my load has gotten alot lighter, the Circuit has become my fav. Can't go wrong with ULA customer service either. Great pack from a great company.

Buffalo Skipper
01-06-2011, 11:40
Buffalo Skipper
looks to me that your requirements are at the upper limits of the Ohm.
keep in mind that a lot of the capacity listed for the ULA packs is in the pockets not the main compartment.
As a comparison the Circuit is smaller than the Aether 60.
Personally I also prefer the roll top of the new Circuit compared with the cinch version of the Ohm.
Franco

A couple of questions for those of you with ULAs. Looking at both the Circuit and OHM, the main compartment is (with extension) 2900. The extra (of the Circuit) space seems to be in the mesh pockets (more of them?). Are these essentially the same packs, or should I say the same basic structure?

I am all for made in USA products.

I have been looking at this list again, and may have expanded my list. Here is what I am considering:

Manufacturer/Pack Cost Weight Capacity
Osprey Expos 58, large $149.99 2 lbs 10 oz 3500
REI Flash 50 pack $149.00 2 lbs 10 oz 3051
Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus $170.00 1 lbs 7.8 oz 3600 2800 + 800 in pockets
Granite Gear Escape AC 60 $199.99 3 lbs 2 oz 3660
Granite Gear Vapor Flash $179.95 3 lbs 1 oz 3200
Granite Gear Vapor Trail $169.96 2 lbs 5 oz 3600
Granite Gear Virga $109.95 1 lbs 3 oz 3200
GoLite Jam $150.00 1lbs 13 oz 3050
ULA Equipment Circuit $200.00 1lbs 14 oz 4200 2900+1300 in pockets
ULA Equipment Ohm $175.00 1 lbs 10 oz 3800 2900 + 900 in pockets

Let me ask this question from a completely different direction. Which of these do you think are the most comfortable?

Buffalo Skipper
01-06-2011, 11:48
One more question. On some of these manufacturers' websites there is a recomended "Base Weight." Does this include the pack? I usually figure my base weight as gear, excluding clothes, food/water and fuel. But without my (current) 5 lb pack, for comparison purposes, my base weight drops substantially. I mean my current base weight is 17 lbs 15 oz; however, if I don't add my backpack that drops to under 13 lbs!

So if I am looking at the base weight of the Circuit, should I add to that 12 lbs, 15 oz the 36 oz of the pack?

hillsanddales3
01-06-2011, 12:05
+3 for the ULA packs. The Catalyst is my fav for longer walks without resupply/ or winter adventures. It is the most comfortable pack IMO. In a 50 mile section hike through the Whites, I was impressed with how good my hips and shoulders felt. No pressure at all. BIG difference from using the Atmos in the same terrain a few years ago- way to much pressure on the shoulders. Don't own the Circuit, maybe someone can chime in.
MLD, Mountain Laurel Designs also makes some top notch gear. If you're considering going a little lighter with your load, the Exodus is a good choice. Very high quality with a good carry for a frameless pack. Both MLD and ULA are fine Cottage makers. Whatever you decide, choose something that will enhance your wilderness experience. It has to be what "works for you."

Buffalo Skipper
01-06-2011, 12:26
One more question. On some of these manufacturers' websites there is a recomended "Base Weight." Does this include the pack? I usually figure my base weight as gear, excluding clothes, food/water and fuel. But without my (current) 5 lb pack, for comparison purposes, my base weight drops substantially. I mean my current base weight is 17 lbs 15 oz; however, if I don't add my backpack that drops to under 13 lbs!

So if I am looking at the base weight of the Circuit, should I add to that 12 lbs, 15 oz the 36 oz of the pack?

I have been researching, and I found the answer to this on the FAQ page:
Q: What does Rec'd Base Weight mean?

A: Recommended Base Weight refers to the total weight of all gear carried (including the weight of your ULA backpack). This includes water bottles and food stuff sacks but not water and food as this will vary during each trip. Knowing your base weight will help you determine which suspension system can best handle your on the trail load.

hillsanddales3
01-06-2011, 13:06
Circuit has a little beefier frame system. (Notice the load capacity differences.) Also has a more capable compression system (straps vs elastic.) If you find your load is closer to 30 lbs than 25, choose a pack that carries well within that range, not at the edge of it. Good luck!

Black Wolf
01-06-2011, 13:18
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/ladytrekker/AT-SpringertoHawkMtn003.jpg
I use a ULA Circuit I find the smaller pack makes me carry less there is a method to my madness.

is that a Gator's hat ?? they sure are getting heavier to carry now a days...aren't they ??..Go Gators !!

skinewmexico
01-06-2011, 15:22
I sure don't regret selling my Exos 46 (and 58, for that matter), to finance my ULA Circuit and Catalyst. The non-swappable hib belt, attached to a mesh trampoline, is a major design flaw to me. I know they work for some people, but it was the most painful experience I've ever had with a pack. Just goes to show.......try before you buy if you can. I'll carry my Mariposa Plus sometimes instead of a ULA, if I'm not having to carry 6-8 liters of water, or am in a place without cactus.

StormBird
01-06-2011, 19:58
I vote ULA

Sidenote: Whatever pack you end up getting, 50-55L is plenty of space. You do not need a 60-75L pack. It is over kill and just amounts to extra weight.

Good luck and happy trails!

Buffalo Skipper
01-07-2011, 10:04
I vote ULA

Sidenote: Whatever pack you end up getting, 50-55L is plenty of space. You do not need a 60-75L pack. It is over kill and just amounts to extra weight.

Good luck and happy trails!

I agree completely. My Aether 70 is 25% empty on recent trips, but I find I am trying to add gear to this, just because I have the space. I just don't need this capacity.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2011, 12:01
I think you are all missing something here, BSkipper is pointing out that with a 40 lbs weight he is experiencing sciatica. Don't you think he should be getting that checked out first? The hipbelt built into the Osprey is really well made and for it to be uncomfortable suggests there is more going on here.

Franco
01-08-2011, 19:07
I just had another look at this .
One point that I don't think was addressed is this :
I have an Osprey Aether 70, which I really like, except for the hip belt. It is an isoform belt that was never molded

Why not take your pack in to a dealer that has one of those molding ovens and try that, it may work for you.
(obviously not that practical if the nearest dealer is 100 miles away...)
Franco

Buffalo Skipper
01-12-2011, 16:32
I just had another look at this .
One point that I don't think was addressed is this :
I have an Osprey Aether 70, which I really like, except for the hip belt. It is an isoform belt that was never molded

Why not take your pack in to a dealer that has one of those molding ovens and try that, it may work for you.
(obviously not that practical if the nearest dealer is 100 miles away...)
Franco

Franco, thanks for that. The nearest dealer that I know of is REI (did not buy the pack from them) and for me that is a 6 hour drive. As you say, not practical.

I was in Atlanta before New Years and I was told that the hip belt should form to me after a few uses. Whether or not it has, it is still not as comfortable as I would expect. I would very much like to replace the hip belt, but apparently there are no other hip belts which fit this backpack (or so the rep at Osprey led me to believe).

I have an upcoming trip, and the weather will be cold, and my weight will be up. My packed weight is right now 22 lbs without water and 3 days of food. I imagine I will be over 30 lbs by the time I hit the trail. Just a lighter pack could make this close to 28 lbs, which I would be happier carrying, but that is still well over 10 lbs below where I was on a similar trek a year ago, so I guess I should not complain too much....

buz
01-13-2011, 10:58
Buffalo,

I have an Aether 70 and didn't get the belt formed at first. Wore the pack a few times, and then wanted to see if the belt fitted would work. Somewhere I found instructions on how to do it in your home oven, and did that. It made a difference in feel, in a positive, but not giant way.

See if you can find something, as I didn't save the instructions. Basically, it was remove the hip belt, insulate the buckles from the heat, put belt in pre heated oven around 250 for some time, like ten minutes, then slap belt on fully loaded pack, and walk around for a few minutes. The heat and pack load form the belt.

Buffalo Skipper
01-13-2011, 11:23
I just found this website:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/CustomMolding/

What is the BioForm CM™ A/X Hiptbelt? I am not familiar with that. Does that have some different padding?

Bucherm
01-14-2011, 05:14
I just found this website:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/CustomMolding/

What is the BioForm CM™ A/X Hiptbelt? I am not familiar with that. Does that have some different padding?

I think it's those "custom molding" machines places like REI use for Osprey packs.

Buffalo Skipper
01-14-2011, 14:25
I think it's those "custom molding" machines places like REI use for Osprey packs.

What I meant was that I have the Isoform CM hipbelt like this:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/images/IsoFormCM.gif

Pictured here is the BioForm CM, which is something else. Is anyone familiar with this belt?
http://www.ospreypacks.com/images_pages/BioForm-CM-New(2).gif

I am especially interested in a comparison of the two. The BioForm looks padded, but I can't tell.

Also if anyone has instructions to using this is a kitchen oven, I am interested.

Franco
01-14-2011, 18:09
Molding
From Timothy Pfeister at Backcountry.com :
The following is for informational purposes, and should not be attempted without the full understanding of the fact that you may damage your hip belt. That being said, some quick research on the properties of nylon followed by a quick prayer, and I molded my own belt by placing it on a cotton towel inside the oven for 10 minutes while monitoring the temp and keeping it between 175-200*F. Then as the osprey videos suggest, I wore the belt around until it cooled back down. It's now formed perfectly! (Oh, speaking from experience... make certain you put the hip belt on right side up, or you will be repeating the process a second time! haha)Why did I attempt this myself? Because the nearest dealer isnt worth the cost of fuel for something so simple. The oven is clearly little more than an EZ-Bake, so I felt it was worth a carefully monitored chance. I won.
Franco
http://www.backcountry.com/store/review/200042031/Mold-your-belt-at-home.html (http://www.backcountry.com/store/review/200042031/Mold-your-belt-at-home.html)
BTW, I have just adapted an Osprey hi belt to pull a sled (for a friend) and yes at some stage we had that upside down...

Franco
01-14-2011, 18:29
This video may also help.
http://www.telemarktips.com/DrTelemark.html (http://www.telemarktips.com/DrTelemark.html)
(Cooking with big Tim)
With speed skating boots the final fitting is done with a hair dryer , so maybe you could try that too...
(of course in boots the hot air is trapped inside)
BTW, using the the Osprey oven, when you get the belt out of it is barely warm so obviously the temp is not very high at all.
A mate that does that reckons it probably is around 140f.

Franco

Buffalo Skipper
01-21-2011, 11:46
Thanks for the molding tips. I will try that.

I went on a 18 mile trek this past weekend at FDR State Park, GA. Pine Mountain Trail. Rugged terrain, excellent weather and good views. My total weight was a few oz under 30 lbs. My weight continues to falling as I replace gear and shave oz and pounds, but I am still looking at options for other packs.

I imagine that my pack choices will change as time goes before I buy, but I am still looking at these packs (in no particular order):

Gossaamer Gear Maripossa Plus
Granite Gear Vapor Trail
ULA Circuit

Any comments (good or bad) on these is welcome.

lori
01-21-2011, 12:18
Note that the Vapor Trail (unless they redesigned) is not among those Granite Gear packs with swappable belt/shoulder harness. You might want one of the Ozone series if you need/want to be able to use a belt with more padding.

I'll throw in the Aarn Bodypack. The belt is not padded in the slightest, but once it's adjusted (this is the pack for people who are fanatical about having a pack fitted to them but not going all the way to McHale) it will ride differently than a traditional pack, but very, very well. Takes a lot of getting used to but the front pockets are multi use items, and very convenient when you tend to get in and out of the pack all the time. They have a full line of models and for camera buffs, camera gear specific front pockets.

lori
01-21-2011, 12:24
Granite Gear Vapor Trail
ULA Circuit

GG Mariposa Plus is a great pack! I sold mine due to some changes in my needs and an overabundance of packs (hmm, I still have six...) as it doesn't cooperate to my liking with larger bear canisters. (I'm going to need those.)

Have a Nimbus Ozone, not a Vapor Trail, as I want adjustibility and never have good luck with fixed pack frames. But Granite Gear makes pretty good gear.

ULA Circuit will be the next pack I get. When I have money. I tried on a few of them and liked what I saw - they are bear can compatible (I like to carry the can vertically, Mariposa Plus has a more rectangular shape and I disliked straining stitches) and looks like I can get a differently sized hip belt with the pack.

Berserker
01-21-2011, 13:22
I imagine that my pack choices will change as time goes before I buy, but I am still looking at these packs (in no particular order):

Granite Gear Vapor Trail
ULA Circuit

No experience with the GG pack. I owned a VT at one time, and it just didn't fit me right. I could never get it to sit comfortably on my back and hips, so I sold it. I'm a happy Circuit owner. I use two packs...the Circuit for warm weather and smaller loads, and a McHale for cold weather and larger loads (and if I'm carrying my bear can). The McHale fits me like a glove, but it's a bit large for warm weather hiking so I tried the Circuit to fill that void. Turns out the Circuit also fits me like a glove. Best fitting pack I have ever used other than the McHale. I have a 2009 model (I think...it's one that was manufactured when Brian Frankle still owned ULA), and I bought mine with the optional stay that I always use. As long as I keep my loads below about 32 lbs I have no discomfort. One thing I really like about the Circuit is the hipbelt on it rocks. It has 2 separate straps for tightening it down, and this seems to dial in a much better fit than a single strap...at least for me.

sixguns01
01-21-2011, 13:45
I am having a quandry surrounding my current backpack, and may be interested in replacing it. I have an Osprey Aether 70, which I really like, except for the hip belt. It is an isoform belt that was never molded. I do not find this belt comfortable, and in fact, my right leg goes a little numb when I am packed. I mainly weekend hike, and I have gotten my load down from 40ish to just under 30 (fully loaded, with 2.5 l water, fuel and food), and I now have a significant amount of unused space in my pack.

I am considering going to an under 3lb pack (my Aether 70 weights in at just over 5lb). I do really like the Ospreys, but would consider something else. Top of my list is the Exos 58.

What other packs should I be considering for a 25-30 lb load? I am very weight conscious, but I do like some comforts and am not looking to go much below a 25 lb pack weight.

Any and all advice is welcome.

I recommend the Golite Pinnacle. It weighs under 2lbs and has held over 30lbs for me. 72L pack that holds all my gear and sometimes other hikers gear. The 2010 model has a better padded belt system. 2 mesh side pockets, zipped pockets on the hip belts and a nice size large pocket in the back. I've been using Pinnacles for 3 years and they are very very comfortable and durable.

You can find them on eBay and the Gear Swap forum on Backpackinglight.com for around and even under $100.

Have Fun

bear bag hanger
01-21-2011, 18:15
You might also look at ULA's Epic pack. If the pack size is too big or too small, you can change out the dry bag for something bigger or smaller. Plus, you can change out the hip belt if and when the one you have becomes too big. I've only used the Epic on one four day trip but was very happy with it.