PDA

View Full Version : Health insurance???

ecohen
12-16-2010, 03:39
What type of heath insurance plan do you recommend getting for a thru hike?

emerald
12-16-2010, 07:47
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=950849&highlight=insurance#post950849 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=950849&highlight=insurance#post950849)

Toolshed
12-16-2010, 07:56
If you select the search option (right hand Menu Bar) and type in "health insurance", I am sure you willl find a plethora of recent threads on this.

emerald
12-16-2010, 08:07
Yours is one of the more frequently asked questions. There are numerous threads begun every year.

If your question hasn't already been answered to your satisfaction, refer to the comments section of the submission article linked below. You should find more than you care to read.

Many if not most of the relevant threads started since 2007 are linked to Comment #11.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46176 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46176)

10-K
12-16-2010, 10:09
If you select the search option (right hand Menu Bar) and type in "health insurance", I am sure you willl find a plethora of recent threads on this.

If you select the search option and search for anything about hiking the AT you'll get a plethora of threads.. :)

It would be pretty boring around here if everyone used the search function though..

emerald
12-16-2010, 10:15
Maybe people would do something constructive instead.

10-K
12-16-2010, 10:21
Maybe people would do something constructive instead.

I know you're not talking about going hiking....

emerald
12-16-2010, 10:43
Even hiking would be more constructive than adding more of the same to the insurance pile.

Someone who wishes to do something constructive might offer suggestions for improving AggieAl's article or link it when questions arise. Please comment on his article in the appropriate location.

halftime
12-16-2010, 11:34
Recommend comprehensive coverage. Serious illness (or accident) can attack anyone at any age. The article by Aggie Al (although not specific recommendation) is right on (shop and negotiate). Was hospitalized earlier this year and final cost was over $200k. Out of pocket cost due to insurance was $2K (deductible was $1k). I had always complained about monthly cost of insurance until this occurred.

Red Hat
12-16-2010, 12:02
I got a catastrophic policy, just in case. When I tried to pay cash at a hospital (thought I might have lymes, but didn't), I was told to wait for the bill. Seems my insurance company negotiated the price down from what I would have paid.

Toolshed
12-16-2010, 19:40
I just walked in from work this evening and there was the bill from my hospital stay 2 months ago, awaiting me - $362,386.74 :eek:

My portion after insurance - $529.33. :sun
Insurance can bve a very good thing.... I'm a lucky man and I'll be paying that bill ASAP!!!!

10K - The point is that there is a lot of excellent current advice about health care insurance options in the recent archives. Some folks who are very knowledgeable/experienced about insurance, may become tired of posting answers to the specific repetitive questions around health care and as a result great information can be missed.

Of course there are always the anecdotal comments that keep the threads alive....;)

Wise Old Owl
12-16-2010, 21:24
I am not going to get into the polotics but recently my wife's policy was dumped by the company for something far more expensive during the "drive by Heath scare" Clearly the poor have been paid for by the rich for years. Suddenly my deductables have gone up from $10 a visit to $20 and a recent MRI that previously was free is now $500. I am depressed over the new events as a recent discovery now points out that I do not have arthritis I have a torn miniscus (possible) for the knee.

TheYoungOne
12-20-2010, 14:14
I'm assuming you are not employed with a company that offers health insurance.

Your best bet is to surf the web and check the rates of the big insurance companies that cover Hawaiian citizens (coverage goes by the state you live in) .

I work for a small company that stopped offering health insurance and I bought a policy directly thru US Healthcare. All you need to look for if you do not take to perscription drugs is some sort of coverage for an ER visit and emergency care. Usually there is a deductible involved, like $50, $100 or $500 per ER visits, or per day in the hospital. I would just get the cheapest Emergency plan you can find, and see if you can pay up front for 6 months worth of coverage. You figure if you get hurt, or sick you are going to end up in a hospital ER anyway.

This way if you break an bone, and stay in the hospital 2 or 3 days you would only pay $300 or $1,500, and not paying $30,000.

Gramps
01-17-2011, 10:53
I got a catastrophic policy, just in case. When I tried to pay cash at a hospital (thought I might have lymes, but didn't), I was told to wait for the bill. Seems my insurance company negotiated the price down from what I would have paid.

If your carrier has a wide network like BCBS, then most providers are in their network of preferred providers (PPO). They have a predetermined amount to pay and you (the insured) are not responsible for the over-and-above amount. My wife had emergency surgery for a bleeding ulcer in Oct., spent 6 days in ICU and another 5 in a regular room. Her hospital bill was over $79,000. Her insurance knocked it down to $25,000 and paid all but $2300, and mine as secondary paid the rest.:banana

the goat
01-17-2011, 11:37
i got an HSA account that is couples with a high-deductible insurance policy. basically it was in case something terrible happened.

i think it was $45/ month. and the money i put in the HSA account is tax free, and i got to keep it.