PDA

View Full Version : Inoculations?

ecohen
12-16-2010, 03:46
What type of inoculations are recommended prior to a thru hike?

M1 Thumb
12-16-2010, 07:45
The only one that I can think that might be considered necessary would be to make sure your tetanus vaccine is up to date. Come to think of it, I believe if you get a tetanus update it comes coupled with the diphtheria and pertussis vaccines. Not a bad deal at all especially when you consider that the U.S. is currently under an outbreak of whooping cough (pertussis).

fiddlehead
12-16-2010, 08:42
None needed.
Just come and enjoy!

Doc Mike
12-16-2010, 08:56
Make sure tetanus is up to date (within 5 years) because you don't want to get off the trail to have it updated. As M1 stated above get the combo. Ask for the Tdap.

Would you be ok without it probably so, can one shot save your hike yes.

Doc Mike

Trailweaver
12-17-2010, 02:54
Having worked in the ER, I have seen people come in with an active case of tetnus. Believe me, you do not want to take a chance with that - it's an awful way to die. A simple shot can, in fact, save your life. One cut place, scrape, etc., that's gotten dirt into it can be infected with tetnus (it lives in dirt) and it takes about a week before it starts to show up. By then it's too late to get the shot.

peakbagger
12-17-2010, 07:08
I would add a influenza shot. There is a lot of potentila to get exposed if you hang out at shelters. Definitely want a tetanus if you havent had one for a few years.

Blissful
12-17-2010, 09:44
Tetanus

Also I think its a good idea to get teeth checked. Bad teeth can make you really sick