PDA

View Full Version : Fuel For Snowpeak Gigapower & Pot ??

brotheral
12-16-2010, 12:36
Well, I finally ordered my Gigapower stove and bought a lifetime REI membership.
Actually my girlfriend asked me what i'd like for Christmas...:rolleyes:
I read that it works best with their 15% Propane and 85% Isobutane blend. Just wondering what other types work okay... What can I get at WalMart....??
I almost added the Ti 900 pot, but I wonder why wouldn't the 900 aluminum pot be good for me. It's $30.00 less. I'm not thru-hiking, just going for some leisurely excursions.
Happy Holidays Everyone. :D

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2010, 12:42
WM sells Coleman brand standard lindal valve isobutane canisters. Kind of a dull green and silver color canister. I believe they're a 15/85 mix which is pretty standard. You can get canisters of slightly higher ratios of propane for cold weather/mountaineering. Where I don't know.

Liv2Ride
12-16-2010, 12:55
A long time ago bought a can of the coleman gas from Wal-Mart but the threading did not work with my Snow Peak stove. I might have picked up the wrong one or something, I don't know. What I do know is that the stove did not fit the canister.

To answer your question brotheral, just pick up the Snow Peak Giga canisters from REI. The bonus is that for whatever reason the Snow Peak canisters are actually less expensive than the MSR or Jet Boil canisters.

brotheral
12-16-2010, 13:35
A long time ago bought a can of the coleman gas from Wal-Mart but the threading did not work with my Snow Peak stove. I might have picked up the wrong one or something, I don't know. What I do know is that the stove did not fit the canister.

To answer your question brotheral, just pick up the Snow Peak Giga canisters from REI. The bonus is that for whatever reason the Snow Peak canisters are actually less expensive than the MSR or Jet Boil canisters.

Thanks, but there's not an REI within 100 miles. Nearest outfitter is 40 miles...
I just wanted to get something so I can play with my new toy....

rpenczek
12-16-2010, 14:37
I own and use a gigapower (great little stove if you have the pizo igniter model, don't rely on it, carry a bic or matches). This is a great little stove. I have used the coleman brand fuel purchased at Wally World as well as MSR, SnowPeak and even the Jetboil brand. Seems like the threads are standard.

Liv2Ride
12-16-2010, 16:18
I own and use a gigapower (great little stove if you have the pizo igniter model, don't rely on it, carry a bic or matches). This is a great little stove. I have used the coleman brand fuel purchased at Wally World as well as MSR, SnowPeak and even the Jetboil brand. Seems like the threads are standard.

Apparently I picked up the wrong coleman canister.

brotheral
12-16-2010, 16:31
I'll stop at Wally's tomorrow. Got several inches of snow 2day. I sure hope they have some fuel. My stove should be arriving soon and I can't wait to fire it up..
Thanks everyone.. I hope Santa is good to you... :)

JaxHiker
12-16-2010, 17:08
I've got both the Giga and LiteMax. Both are great stoves but as suggested already don't rely on the piezo. I have the manual Giga and it works great. I've never tried Coleman canisters but both work fine with SP, MSR, and JB canisters.

As for the pot I'd save money and get the aluminum 900. It'll radiate heat better and it's not a huge difference in weight compared to the Ti version. It's a great little cookset.

brotheral
12-16-2010, 17:31
I've got both the Giga and LiteMax. Both are great stoves but as suggested already don't rely on the piezo. I have the manual Giga and it works great. I've never tried Coleman canisters but both work fine with SP, MSR, and JB canisters.

As for the pot I'd save money and get the aluminum 900. It'll radiate heat better and it's not a huge difference in weight compared to the Ti version. It's a great little cookset.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get the 900 aluminum !!

Bags4266
12-16-2010, 19:05
I don't know, if you were long hauling it, I would defiantly say Ti but short haul Alum is fine.
The only thing which is a motto I follow is, " buy nice or pay twice"! Later on you might say $hit I should of bought it in Ti for only $25.00 more. Also if you resell it, it's more marketable being Ti. Just something to consider.

burntoutphilosopher
12-16-2010, 19:11
forget the 25$, think about how toxic aluminum is !

Bags4266
12-16-2010, 19:17
I think myth busters hit this one on Alzheimer's (not true)

Bags4266
12-16-2010, 19:17
Or was it true.... Can't remember. lol

Doc Mike
12-16-2010, 19:41
Buy the best and you will never wish you would have.

Doc Mike

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2010, 19:47
I've been a big fan of cannister stoves for years, and have owned and used just about all of them, including JetBoil, the Pocket Rocket, and my present favorite, the Snow Peak Gigapower.

What ALL of these stoves will and their manufacturers tell you is that the stoves will work best with their own propietary fuel cannister (i.e. JetBoil stove with JetBoil can, etc.)

MSR will tell you the same thing. So will Giga. So will everyone else.

I've talked about this to friends who know more about this than I do (my last science class was in around 1978; it was Chemistry, and I think I failed it).

What these folks have told me is this: The mix/blends found in these cans is not all that chemically different from one to another; their make-up is not that different, nor is their ultimate performance. A screw-top cannister will work just fine on all of these stoves; feel free to mix and match, and at the end of the day, my own experience has revealed that it really doesn't matter which can you're using. They cost about the same, their performance is pretty much the same, you won't damage your stove or decrease its efficiency by using the "wrong" can" if that's all that's available......in short, buy or use whatever happens to be there, they'll all boil water or heat your noodles, and if there's a "difference" amongst them performance-wise, well I've never seen it. If your stove screws into the can, it'll work for you, and while the stove companies will try and convince you to go out of your way to seek aout and buy "their" fuel for your stove, I'm not convinced there's any compelling reason to do so.

brotheral
12-16-2010, 20:57
Buy the best and you will never wish you would have.

Doc Mike

I hear ya..... I've got plenty of time to make a decision. I have an old 1qt aluminum pot that will do fine for now.

gunner76
12-16-2010, 21:04
forget the 25$, think about how toxic aluminum is

this has proven wrong. aluminum is safe. problem is that it has reached the status of urban legends

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2010, 21:27
forget the 25$, think about how toxic aluminum is !
Hmmm :-? How toxic is the third most common element in the earth's crust? :confused:

burntoutphilosopher
12-16-2010, 21:41
the fact that aluminum doesn't cause Alzheimer does not mean it's not toxic.

excessive aluminum puts a lot of strain on the kidneys which is already a weak point of someone on a hiker diet. aluminum makes it's way in through the skin when you touch it, and into your food if your food is acidic. heating it with a can stove will grealy increase how much it leaches.

... no i'm not saying alum. makes you stupid, or gives you Alzheimers, but it is still toxic, and why not go for titanium which is inert in the body?

titanium is inert

brotheral
12-17-2010, 07:34
I've been a big fan of cannister stoves for years, and have owned and used just about all of them, including JetBoil, the Pocket Rocket, and my present favorite, the Snow Peak Gigapower.

What ALL of these stoves will and their manufacturers tell you is that the stoves will work best with their own propietary fuel cannister (i.e. JetBoil stove with JetBoil can, etc.)

MSR will tell you the same thing. So will Giga. So will everyone else.

I've talked about this to friends who know more about this than I do (my last science class was in around 1978; it was Chemistry, and I think I failed it).

What these folks have told me is this: The mix/blends found in these cans is not all that chemically different from one to another; their make-up is not that different, nor is their ultimate performance. A screw-top cannister will work just fine on all of these stoves; feel free to mix and match, and at the end of the day, my own experience has revealed that it really doesn't matter which can you're using. They cost about the same, their performance is pretty much the same, you won't damage your stove or decrease its efficiency by using the "wrong" can" if that's all that's available......in short, buy or use whatever happens to be there, they'll all boil water or heat your noodles, and if there's a "difference" amongst them performance-wise, well I've never seen it. If your stove screws into the can, it'll work for you, and while the stove companies will try and convince you to go out of your way to seek aout and buy "their" fuel for your stove, I'm not convinced there's any compelling reason to do so.

Thanks Jack. I'll head over to Wal-Mart today.... How abt REI 900ml Alum pot ?

brotheral
12-17-2010, 11:02
Anyone have any experience with Evernew aluminum pots with ceramic coating?
I was looking at the 1.2 L one at Antigravity gear...
I called & talked to George, "TinMan", Andrews. I told him that Baltimore Jack highly recommended the Snow-Peak Gigapower stove. He said that's quite an endorsement from a great guy...