PDA

View Full Version : What a group. Random Acts of kindness.. Trail net magic/

ec.hiker
12-16-2010, 13:25
I have not been a member of this group very long but have witnessed and been a part of so much kindness it is unreal. HIkers are a unique group and I feel blessed to be a part of them. When I read of Gracefull Roll I being a Leukemia survivor contacted her to tell her some funny stories and some not so funny things to expect while in the hospital. We corrisponded back and forth and she is a great person.When I wrote asking about trash compactor bags "Spring fever" contacted me asking for my address so they could send me some to try out. I was also contacted by Mountain Maiden telling me that if I ever came through her nick of the woods "Hot Springs" to please get up with her she would have a place for me to crash for a night and a hot cup of joe!! Wow too nice. She was in my home town which is the location of a major Marine Corps Base to be with her daughter while she gave birth. I told her since she was so far away to feel free to get up with me anytime I could help her or her daughter out being away from your kids is no fun. Knowing there is a friendly face near by takes a weight of your shoulders. SHe contacted me back a few days later and was telling me that she read I couldn't go on my springer hike because of the weather. She basicly said" hey if you got the time I am going to need a ride back to hot springs in a few days. It will save me 400 dollars on a plane ticket. I will pay for gas and expenses along the way. As well as putting you up for a night and you can hike hot springs" I have never hiked hot springs and jumped at the chance!! After that message I got a message from another user Lamarr saying "Can you confirm that you're OK? I hope the weather kept you off the Trail the last couple of days! And I usually wouldn't say that to anybody!" All I can say is wow what a great bunch of people we have here. I am always saying to people I hike alone because I just don't have that many friends that hike. Well what a big fat lie that i.s I seem to have a ton of friends that hike. Thank you all and I look forward to corrisponding with you all and seeing others at festivals ,trails, and where ever else this life takes us!!
Jonathan

Tinker
12-16-2010, 13:40
If one looks forward to hard work (hiking), heat and cold, dirt and bugs, bigger critters, and uncertainty at every turn, trusting that everything they need (and want) can be carried on his/her back, and that there are others with the same mindset nearby to assist wherever and whenever there is an unexpected need, it builds a very strong bond, indeed.
Hiking may be one of the few "sports" where (after a period of adjustment, perhaps) materialism takes a back seat to unrestrained freedom. Ardent hikers share that feeling of freedom. Being in a minority builds a sense of family. :)

Driver8
12-16-2010, 13:46
Hiking may be one of the few "sports" where (after a period of adjustment, perhaps) materialism takes a back seat to unrestrained freedom. Ardent hikers share that feeling of freedom.

Amen to that!

Being in a minority builds a sense of family. :)

I consider that we've just figured out something many others haven't gotten to, but I'm happy to share!

ECHiker, you've been uniformly helpful and forthcoming with me. When you're friendly like that, you make friends - especially, seems to me, in the hiker community.