PDA

View Full Version : Compression sack size?

grrickar
12-19-2004, 18:31
I just bought a Kelty Lightyear 45 degree bag for the warmer months. It is the first down sleeping bag I have ever owned, and I'm not sure what compression sack to buy to use with it. The Kelty website said it stuffs down to 6" x 10" (it is the long version of the bag). It did not come with a compression sack. I was looking to buy a Granite Gear Air Compressor but what size? I know that down is very compressable opposed to synthetic.
(http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47792042&parent_category_rn=4500447&vcat=REI_SEARCH)

I have not used the bag yet, but it is looks to be well made for the price, and it is filled with 650 power down, and the long version weighs 2lbs 1oz. I'm hopeful that this bag will work for anything above freezing (I have a Cocoon Coolmax bag liner), and then I can save my heavier synthetic bag for winter temps. Anyone have own/use one of these?

Footslogger
12-19-2004, 20:05
I've got an REI down bag that weighs the same and is 700 fill down. For hiking I cram it in a silnylon stuff sack that is about 6" x 15". It fits horizontally in my pack.

It's a pretty tight fit and I take it out of the stuff sack as soon as I get in to camp at night in order to let it loft up. At home I store it in a huge cotton laundry bag and fluff it up from time to time.

'Slogger
AT 2003

peter_pan
12-20-2004, 00:20
Grrickar,
Check out the compression/stuff sack at jacks R Better...just over one oz and adjusts easily from 13 inches down to about4 or 5 inches, about 7 inches in diameter...silnyl gives super water protection... you can seal the seam if desired.

neo
12-20-2004, 00:28
i plan on buying a compression sack from jack are better so i can pack my
hennesey hammock and jack r better hammock accessories in it:sun neo

Nameless
12-20-2004, 05:08
Why compress your sleeping bag? I used to compress my old bag, and i believe i hurt its loft a lot by doing that. I will never compress my new sleeping bag, the space lost is more then worth a good sleeping bag that lofts well on a cold night.

Thanks
Pink