PDA

View Full Version : When should I start?

hikerboy57
12-16-2010, 20:05
thruhiking the AT has been on my bucket list since I first stepped on the trail in 1976(did the Presidentials in great weather and I was hooked) Marriage , raising 2 kids, then divorce, has kept me from realizing my dream, although I've section hiked most of the AT north of PA over the past 30 years, and, due to the financial responsiblities of alimony, child support, and college tuition, I've had to be content with that.I still wont be able to hike the whole AT, but my boss has given me permission to take off three months in 2012 to do half the trail. Seeing that I've never done the southern section, I want to start at Springer and get as far north as I can in 3 months.Taking into account bugs and weather, when would be the best time to leave Springer?

Lone Wolf
12-16-2010, 20:09
April 15th

Luddite
12-16-2010, 20:10
I would start in april at Springer. That way it wouldn't be too cold in the beginning and you'd be done before it got too hot.

kayak karl
12-16-2010, 20:14
I would start in april at Springer. That way it wouldn't be too cold in the beginning and you'd be done before it got too hot.
either this or what LW said.

hikerboy57
12-16-2010, 20:17
If I start in April, would it be more or less crowded than starting out earlier? I've got a 15deg Big Agnes and a 40 deg Marmot bag, so I dont mind starting a little colder, but I do prefer more solitude.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2010, 20:19
less crowded

DapperD
12-16-2010, 20:21
If I start in April, would it be more or less crowded than starting out earlier? I've got a 15deg Big Agnes and a 40 deg Marmot bag, so I dont mind starting a little colder, but I do prefer more solitude.Iv'e heard it's crowded from March 1st to almost May 1st. Start the first day of Spring, around March 20th:sun.

hikerboy57
12-16-2010, 20:28
Thanks guys.John Lennon says "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". If all goes well and my finances hold up, the boss will give me another 3 months the following year to finish. not getting any younger.

DapperD
12-16-2010, 20:39
Thanks guys.John Lennon says "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". If all goes well and my finances hold up, the boss will give me another 3 months the following year to finish. not getting any younger.From what I understand, in years past the trend to begin a thru-hike heading Northbound from Springer Mountain was to begin around the month of April. Now it seems, many people start way earlier, some even in February or even earlier:eek:. The problem with this approach can be much more colder, inclement weather. It is really your own choice. Given the fact you have simply a three-month "deadline" of hiking, and not really caring wear that will take you to, you can be rest assured of having the ability to take your time and savor your journey. Having to complete the entire trail by October 15th is not something fortunately you will have to be worried about/contend with.

Lilred
12-16-2010, 20:51
Start April 15th, like Lone Wolf said and walk with spring. That's the prettiest time to hike.

hikerboy57
12-16-2010, 20:52
thanks, DD. I hiked SOBO from grafton notch to gorham this past august, and although I was a little envious, I also felt a little sorry for NOBOs who were just pushing to make miles through some of the most spectacular scenery, so I had decided then that 2 half hikes would be much more enjoyable, and a lot less stress on the job, finances.

Chillfactor
12-16-2010, 21:00
I'll be starting from NJ border and will finish up in Maine. I'd like to miss the black flys (gone by July, correct?) and beat the start of the Maine rains (August?) Thought about May15th giving me plenty of time with no need to rush.
I'm excited about finishing and have been accumulating food on special for my mail drops. Tuna packets are 75 cents at Super Wal-Mart. Also, I remember a guy used a 5 gallon paint bucket as a bounce box. He took out stuff and snapped it closed, avoiding the fee for opening a box and bouncing it forward. Anybody familiar with that?
May Santa bring everyone cool new gear!

kayak karl
12-16-2010, 21:15
Iv'e heard it's crowded from March 1st to almost May 1st. Start the first day of Spring, around March 20th:sun.
still busy end of March, 4/15 better

hikerboy57
12-16-2010, 21:31
Alright 4/15!!- do I take the 40deg bag, maybe add a liner, as I think the 15 deg bag would be a bit of overkill come late may?

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2010, 21:34
I'll be starting from NJ border and will finish up in Maine. I'd like to miss the black flys (gone by July, correct?) and beat the start of the Maine rains (August?) Thought about May15th giving me plenty of time with no need to rush.
I'm excited about finishing and have been accumulating food on special for my mail drops. Tuna packets are 75 cents at Super Wal-Mart. Also, I remember a guy used a 5 gallon paint bucket as a bounce box. He took out stuff and snapped it closed, avoiding the fee for opening a box and bouncing it forward. Anybody familiar with that?
May Santa bring everyone cool new gear!
The black flies are never truly gone - they just calm down a lot come early July. You'll still encounter some - I guaranty

If you take physical possession of a package at a post office it is considered delivered. Try what your friend did and 99% of the time the clerk or PM will (rightfully) charge you to mail it.

missionary
12-16-2010, 22:08
I started march 12 last year and it was not to bad if you have the cold weather gear. You are always warm while you are hiking so it is more about a cold weather bag. I carried a zero degree bag and was more than fine once I got in it. also had a one person tent which helped on the amount of space to keep warm

swjohnsey
12-16-2010, 22:18
I plan on starting the 31st of March which is obviously the best time. I will not be staying in shelter so overcrowding won't be a factor. I am only taking a 40 degree bag which means I might spend a couple of uncomfortable nights along the way.

kayak karl
12-16-2010, 22:33
Alright 4/15!!- do I take the 40deg bag, maybe add a liner, as I think the 15 deg bag would be a bit of overkill come late may?
i don't know, i never hiked in april :D

Nearly Normal
12-16-2010, 22:38
Start when you get ready. Stopping is the same.

10-K
12-16-2010, 22:45
Depending on how fast you hike you can go a heck of a long ways in 90 days... way over half way.

Slo-go'en
12-16-2010, 22:52
4/15 start, I'd take the 40 bag and a liner. You could well have some chilly nights in early May in NC, but it will be warming up quickly.

I'd start going out for an hour or two walk everyday starting 3-4 weeks before you leave. Doing that does wonders to help get past the first couple of weeks on the trail and will help get you used to cool or cold outside temps.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2010, 00:04

20* bag til Atkins

CrumbSnatcher
12-17-2010, 00:07
LW KNOWS WHAT HES TALKIN' BOUT keep your warm gear til you get past the GRAYSON HIGHLANDS!

Lilred
12-17-2010, 09:17

I'd take the 15 degree bag. I took a 20 degree bag through the Smokies in June and was darn glad I had it. It could still snow mid April in the Georgia Mountains.... It gets down to 30 degrees and you'll be miserable, even with a liner....

Blissful
12-17-2010, 09:35
20* bag til Atkins

Definitely. Way too early for 40 degree. Can be freezing in mid May at higher elevations too.

And unless you are really in good shape without health and limb issues (you are bit of an older age) April 15 I think is cutting it too close for Maine. I'd start earlier in April.

Blissful
12-17-2010, 09:41
Iv'e heard it's crowded from March 1st to almost May 1st. Start the first day of Spring, around March 20th:sun.

Shelter areas can always be crowed from spring through early fall on the AT. But as far as hiking the trail, you don't see a lot of people. Take a tent and camp where you want and the crowds are gone.

jersey joe
12-17-2010, 09:43
March 15th.

hikerboy57
12-17-2010, 11:33
Definitely. Way too early for 40 degree. Can be freezing in mid May at higher elevations too.

And unless you are really in good shape without health and limb issues (you are bit of an older age) April 15 I think is cutting it too close for Maine. I'd start earlier in April.
Thanks for the reminder about my age, but Im doing this while I am still in great shape, and Im not looking to get to Maine in 3 months, which is all the time I can spare, this go around. I should be pretty comfortable in the 15 mi/day range, and I wont be in a hurry. I turn 55 on April 10, 2011, so I'm thinking I like the sound of that, bring the heavier bag though.

TheYoungOne
12-17-2010, 12:04
I definately think you will easily make it to PA in 3 months. You already sectioned hiked everything north of that so that sounds like a good plan.

hikerboy57
12-17-2010, 12:09
I still have most of Maine between grafton notch and Katahdin Stream(I day hiked Katahdin in the 80s) , as well as CT, but I've never hiked south of PA, so I want to start at Springer, hoping to do the balance the following year if job and money, kids allow.

Lilred
12-17-2010, 18:09
Thanks for the reminder about my age, but Im doing this while I am still in great shape, and Im not looking to get to Maine in 3 months, which is all the time I can spare, this go around. I should be pretty comfortable in the 15 mi/day range, and I wont be in a hurry. I turn 55 on April 10, 2011, so I'm thinking I like the sound of that, bring the heavier bag though.

I wouldn't shoot for 15 mile days to start. What's your hurry??? Slow up to avoid injury or burn out, say 10mpd to start. Until you get to the Smokies, most of the trail is either going up or down. Not much ridge line walking.

hikerboy57
12-17-2010, 18:12
I wouldn't shoot for 15 mile days to start. What's your hurry??? Slow up to avoid injury or burn out, say 10mpd to start. Until you get to the Smokies, most of the trail is either going up or down. Not much ridge line walking.
Thanks, Im experienced enough to listen to my body, and you're right, Im not in a hurry, and the fun I had in Maine last summer was because i DIDNT have to rush up and down the steep sewctions and thru Mahoosuc Notch.
Or maybe, as Neil Young once said,"I'll start out slow and then fizzle out altogether.

hikerboy57
12-18-2010, 09:08
april 10 2012, start date